• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem sales fail to meet expectations

Ban Puncher

It's sad that devs that once was driven by making good games and selling them, turned to publishers who doesn't give a fuck what they spit out and just hopes it prints money.
It's more along the lines of EA buys up developers known for making X but then force them to make Y and then act surprised when Y sucks and doesn't sell. Like trying to brute force a square peg in a round hole. Then the square peg gets taken out back and double tapped in the head.

Gargus

Banned
It's more along the lines of EA buys up developers known for making X but then force them to make Y and then act surprised when Y sucks and doesn't sell. Like trying to brute force a square peg in a round hole. Then the square peg gets taken out back and double tapped in the head.

Well to be fair about it bioware hasn't made a decent game since mass effect 2 and all they do is get worse with each game. It isn't eas fault.

Mass effect 3 was just garbage all around. They tried to force a trilogy out of a story that only required 2 games. Tried to shoe horn in multiplayer, gave it a shit ending, and then told gamers they didn't know anything about making games when they complained.

Dragon age 3 was just a great big boring dump. They just shit out a game that was so boring and pointless all I remember is a guy with horns I could team up with and destroying green portals. Oh and that it had some bullshit time wasting map assignments that were tedious to manage.

Mass effect andromeda was just well, we all know it sucked.

And anthem was just a destiny ripoff that somehow managed to be worse than destiny.

Bioware is done. They no longer care about making good games and telling interesting stories with memorable characters. They just do the bare minimum and ride their own coat tails.

Last edited:
I played over 100 hours. The game is a mess apart from the combat

Sadly EA fucked BioWare over and BioWare kept on lying to the fans. So, this failure is deserved

8oBUNig.jpg

Lpr31Uk.jpg

How much free time do you have to waste 100 hours on a game you consider a mess?!

dorkimoe

I picked it up for 29 bucks and enjoyed my time with it. I consider it an arcade shooter, the loot system was kinda junk and there is no endgame but the journey was enjoyable for me

renzolama

8oBUNig.jpg

Lpr31Uk.jpg

How much free time do you have to waste 100 hours on a game you consider a mess?!

To be fair lots of people wasted hundreds of hours on Y1 Destiny which was also a giant mess but had redeeming qualities like fantastic shooting gameplay. That being said I dunno what anybody could have found exciting/enjoyable enough about Anthem to put 100 hours into it.

Edit: And that's coming from someone who pre ordered it, dumped a couple dozen hours into it, and didn't leave angry about the purchase. It just didn't have any compelling combat/gameplay loop like other looter shooters to justify the rest of the game being a mess.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
8oBUNig.jpg

Lpr31Uk.jpg

There was nothing to play at that time + we were fooled by their promises so we kept playing to see all those shitty updates doing nothing. Lots of people that thinks the same got that much playing time and more. 82 hours just checked

Last edited:

FStubbs

comment withdrawn -

EA/Bioware need to cut their losses with this game and move on. Their AAAA microtransaction fest failed.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

8oBUNig.jpg

Lpr31Uk.jpg

That's the worst part, with they are billions people with 1200 hours play time gave it a 1/5 or something because they didn't like a update.

Only played 1200 hours guys, games is trash.

Well to be fair about it bioware hasn't made a decent game since mass effect 2 and all they do is get worse with each game. It isn't eas fault.

Mass effect 3 was just garbage all around. They tried to force a trilogy out of a story that only required 2 games. Tried to shoe horn in multiplayer, gave it a shit ending, and then told gamers they didn't know anything about making games when they complained.

Dragon age 3 was just a great big boring dump. They just shit out a game that was so boring and pointless all I remember is a guy with horns I could team up with and destroying green portals. Oh and that it had some bullshit time wasting map assignments that were tedious to manage.

And anthem was just a destiny ripoff that somehow managed to be worse than destiny.

Bioware is done. They no longer care about making good games and telling interesting stories with memorable characters. They just do the bare minimum and ride their own coat tails.
You're not wrong overall, but EA was and is notorious for meddling in Biowares game development and insisting they make decisions based on what they felt could potentially draw in a wider audience, avoid controversy, or simply be as cheap as possible instead of what the writers and devs wanted to do.

This was what led to a huge exodus of talent during and after ME2, and led to the bland trend chasing and ideologically driven weirdos that define modern Bioware.

EA may not have directly fucked their games up, but they created a working environment that was anathema to the talent and creativity that was behind the old Bioware games people actually liked.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's the worst part, with they are billions people with 1200 hours play time gave it a 1/5 or something because they didn't like a update.

Only played 1200 hours guys, games is trash.
While I would never do that, some people may fall to the addictive nature of busywork-based games, without really enjoying them. Of course if they had fun for the 1200 hours and played because of that they shouldn't complain like that.

Xiaoki

You're not wrong overall, but EA was and is notorious for meddling in Biowares game development and insisting they make decisions based on what they felt could potentially draw in a wider audience, avoid controversy, or simply be as cheap as possible instead of what the writers and devs wanted to do.

This was what led to a huge exodus of talent during and after ME2, and led to the bland trend chasing and ideologically driven weirdos that define modern Bioware.

EA may not have directly fucked their games up, but they created a working environment that was anathema to the talent and creativity that was behind the old Bioware games people actually liked.
Yeah, I'm real sure it was EA that forced BioWare to dick around for 5 years then hurry and make the entire game in less than 2 years ...... twice in a row(Andromeda and Anthem)!

You can definitely blame unreal expectations on EA, Anthem is still the 4th highest selling game of the year, but the terrible state of the game is 100% entirely on BioWare.

Ascend

Actually... I can't agree. Mass Effect 2 is the most overrated game BioWare has ever made. I still don't get why so many people praise that game so much. Mass Effect 2 has the worst plot of any BioWare game, which was the main strength of their prior games. Because let's be honest, the great gameplay was never the reason why BioWare games were loved.
ME2 starts off by killing the main protagonist, to immediately revive him/her afterwards. This screams "we don't know what to do with the story". This was the first sign that BioWare was not the same, and that they lost what they really were.

The first Mass Effect was also a mess but, it had vision and passion at its center, unlike ME2 and the follow-up games, which had profit and maximizing the size of the audience as their goal. This is the most evident for Anthem. ME2 succeeded in that goal shift at the time, and that is exactly why they went downhill afterwards, because their shift towards the wrong focus got rewarded too much by the masses.

So you're right. The story required 2 games, and the game that is irrelevant, is Mass Effect 2. In fact, ME2 left exactly where ME1 left, with the reapers still coming. If you paste ME3 after ME1, it still would work perfectly, bar some additional character introductions. ME2 is the game that really added nothing to the plot, and basically introduced a bunch of filler that many people happened to like and decided to praise to heaven. ME2 is where BioWare lost their core strength. But many were unable to see it, because at least the characters were great. Many people played ME2 first, and as a stand-alone game, it's fine, but, as a part of the trilogy, it is the weakest link of the three. Yes. Really.

As for it not being EA's fault, well, the downfall coincides with the acquisition by EA, so... Yeah.

All true. Andromeda was drilled too hard though. Was it a mess? Yes. Was it as bad as people made it out to be? No.

And we have all the ones that sucked up to ME2 to thank for that.

Last edited:
Haven't played it in months but might have to load it up again just to see what they've done to improve it. I totally agree that overall this game is an absolute mess but at the same time the feel of the gameplay is very satisfying to me. I love rolling around in my big chonker and lighting any and everything up with the minigun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom