• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Burch leaves Gearbox, becomes head writer for new original series from Hulu

the chris

http://giantbomblr.tumblr.com/image/62316487603

4So2rzd.jpg

Fuck, Ryan Davis

:'(

Yea, this post really makes me miss Ryan.

what the heck? BL 1s story and characters were boring as fuck. I stopped giving a shit about anything borderlands because of its blandness. BL2 actually made me like the series again because of the humor and the characters.

loved all the characters but tiny tina is probably my favorite

Burch is a good guy and I hope this works out well for him. He was a major voice in pushing for the series to be more diverse and inclusive, so it would be pretty shitty if they give up on that and make the cast of BL3 genetic because of "market forces" or some nonsense.
I'm pretty sure the franchise will stay that way judging from Tales of the Borderlands and the Pre-Sequel taking the same approach with him barely involved in those. The problem was as much as Burch included diversity he also included internet humor that took up 90% of the writing. Don't get me wrong I love and will defend Tiny Tina and to some extent Handsome Jack but seeing how Tales of the Borderlands was able to do story and characters without internet jokes I'd rather see more of that.

Iorv3th

what the heck? BL 1s story and characters were boring as fuck. I stopped giving a shit about anything borderlands because of its blandness. BL2 actually made me like the series again because of the humor and the characters.

loved all the characters but tiny tina is probably my favorite

Worst character in all of gaming. The sections of the game with her were the worst.

dugdug

Banned
Surprised to see so much hate for the guy. I've played Borderlands 2 three times now, and, never got the impression that it was full of memes or something like that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Only started BL2 over the holiday during the Steam Sale, but around 10 hours in and I can certainly agree that the writing has its issues. Hardly as damning as some make it out to be, but the sheer amount of crass low-brow meme and toilet jokes is off-putting, reaching for an audience that I am too old to appreciate at this point(but probably would have loved as a pre-teen). The humor at least is occasionally punctuated by some very witty banter that pulls me back now and again, but its a tug of war.

If anything, BL2 at least comes across as having more of an identity through its script whereas I barely recall any specific lines or characters from BL1 despite playing it twice through including all DLC. I've enjoyed more episodes of HAWP than I have disliked, and see where the talent does shine through, so this could be a strong move.

The problem was as much as Burch included diversity he also included internet humor that took up 90% of the writing. Don't get me wrong I love and will defend Tiny Tina and to some extent Handsome Jack but seeing how Tales of the Borderlands was able to do story and characters without internet jokes I'd rather see more of that.

thats greatly exaggerated.

People rag on him for BL2, but his writing was one of the only things that kept me playing that game for as long as I did. I've met him too and he's a really chill cool dude. I wish him luck.

Does this show actually get entertaining later? I managed to watch like... 3/4 of the first episode and just couldn't finish it, not my thing I guess.

Season 2 and what I've seen so far of 3 are way better quality. The show gets like 15 minutes longer an episode every season with Season 2 feeling like the perfect length at 30 minutes. It got a real Community vibe, in my opinion.

Lanrutcon

BL2 was funny as all hell, and Handsome Jack was stupidly well written.

Was hoping we'd see the same in BL3, but now...

nullpoynter

Does this show actually get entertaining later? I managed to watch like... 3/4 of the first episode and just couldn't finish it, not my thing I guess.

Give it at least 3 episodes or so. It gets better. Then again, maybe it really isn't your thing. Give it a second chance though.

Can't say I'm dissapointed by this. Best of luck and all but this makes me slightly more interested in a BL3. Burch really didn't bring a whole lot to the table in borderlands 2 that I personally enjoyed.

Tabby

Surprised at the reactions to be honest.
The writing in BL1 and TPS sucked, quite liked his work in Borderlands 2.

I'm pretty sure the franchise will stay that way judging from Tales of the Borderlands and the Pre-Sequel taking the same approach with him barely involved in those. The problem was as much as Burch included diversity he also included internet humor that took up 90% of the writing. Don't get me wrong I love and will defend Tiny Tina and to some extent Handsome Jack but seeing how Tales of the Borderlands was able to do story and characters without internet jokes I'd rather see more of that.

He was very much involved with each. Not as a main writer but still was there.

He is a great guy. Best of luck to him.

DocSeuss

Really loved his script for Borderlands 2. Pre-Sequel definitely suffered from his lesser involvement. Hopefully the franchise can stay fun without his input.

Best of luck to him.

As I understand it, Pre-Sequel suffered from MORE of his involvement, not less.

Mononoke

Banned
Well im not sure how I feel about Anthony or his writing. I can see the criticisms. But as a person taking on a new job and leaving a job, I wish him well.

mreddie

BL2 was great because how much the writing improved from BL1, Battleborn and BL3 might not have sense of wit anymore...damn.

Village

BL2 did well because it was a sequel to Borderlands, a game that also did very well

If we are going to pretend that the that was the only reason not being a better video games with more interesting and popular characters, to degree in which shit like the prequel happens. Sure, yes BL is is the sole reason it did well.

Not it being a better video game and most people agreeing. Yes, lets live in the gaf pretend and.

Also... your statement assumes that, just because a 1st game did well, doesn't mean sequels can do worse. DMC2 would like to have words... and 3 and that game was actually good. Whats your logic here?

Top Bottom