• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Christ , horror/drama by Lars Von Trier (w/ Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsbourg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okno

This looks like it'll be... okay... Although, to be fair, the trailers for von Trier's movies never really do the films justice, so I will wait until I see it to pass any sort of judgment. Seems interesting, at least.

jorma

is now taking requests
I only clicked the link because it said NSFW and now i feel cheated, it was perfectly safe for work :X

Wikipedia:

A couple go to a cabin in the woods to recoup from the death of their child, where they find out that the Devil actually created and runs the world

Part of this sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

gkryhewy

The antichrist was an allegory for Emperor Nero. The american cottage antichrist industry is so laughable. Poor idiots.

Substance

Hehe!

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE54G2JF20090517

Danish director Lars von Trier elicited derisive laughter, gasps of disbelief, a smattering of applause and loud boos on Sunday as the credits rolled on his drama "Antichrist" at the Cannes film festival.

The film, starring Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg as a couple seeking to overcome the grief of losing their only child, has quickly become the most talked-about at this year's festival, which ends on May 24.

Cannes' notoriously picky critics and press often react audibly to films during screenings, but Sunday evening's viewing was unusually demonstrative.

Jeers and laughter broke out during scenes ranging from a talking fox to graphically-portrayed sexual mutilation.

Many viewers in the large Debussy cinema also appeared to take objection to von Trier's decision to dedicate his film to the revered Soviet director Andrei Tarkovsky. Applause from a handful of viewers was drowned out by booing at the end.

Antichrist opens with a heavily stylized, black-and-white, slow-motion portrayal of the child's accidental death set to soaring music by Handel.

Dafoe's character, who is a therapist, tries to help his wife deal with her grief and encourages her to come off heavy medication that sedates her for weeks after the death.

They decide to go to an isolated wooden cabin in an unspecified forest to recover, but the woman Gainsbourg portrays loses control of her senses.

The abuse she submits herself and her husband to drew shocked gasps from the audience.

The reaction suggested that von Trier, who won the top prize in Cannes with "Dancer in the Dark" in 2000, could be in for a rough ride from reviewers and journalists on Monday.

One U.S. critic said he and others found the film "offensive," and questioned why it was included in the main competition of 20 films in Cannes.

In production notes for Antichrist, the 53-year-old director said that the movie was a "kind of therapy" for depression he was suffering from two years ago.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2009/05/17
Not being bold enough is not likely to be one of the criticisms to meet Lars Von Trier’s “Antichrist”, which caused quite the stir in its press screenings Sunday and is sure to be the talk of Cannes as it screens officially tomorrow. Roger Ebert called it the most despairing film he’s ever seen: “It is an audacious spit in the eye of society. It says we harbor an undreamed-of capacity for evil. It transforms a psychological treatment into torture undreamed of in the dungeons of history. Torturers might have been capable of such actions, but they would have lacked the imagination. Von Trier is not so much making a film about violence as making a film to inflict violence upon us, perhaps as a salutary experience. It’s been reported that he suffered from depression during and after the film. You can tell.”

In a blog entry entitled “Antichrist = Fartbomb,” Jeffrey Wells seems to disagree, calling the film “easily one of the biggest debacles in Cannes Film Festival history and the complete meltdown of a major film artist in a way that invites comparison to the sinking of the Titanic.”

Austin 360‘s Charles Ealy, however, said he felt like he just experienced a moment in cinematic history. “The movie’s violence has an emotional impact that hasn’t been seen since Gaspar Noe’s ‘Irreversible,’ which premiered here a few years ago,” he says. “Critics will be debating whether these images were justified by the story, but part of the point is apparently to shock. Cinematic precedents exist, of course, but the explicitness of these scenes take “Antichrist” way beyond what’s come before.”

indieWIRE‘s Anthony Kaufman also found cautiously positive things to say about the film in his review, noting that “while there’s no doubt that the place he goes is off a precipitous edge, one can’t deny the film’s continuing primal power.”

Finally, in a not-quite review , Entertainment Weekly’s Lisa Schwarzbaum suggests it was “the kind of scandal-courting press premiere on Sunday evening that the wily Danish bad-boy filmmaker must have hoped for”: “The movie looks almost tauntingly great, of course, with von Trier’s longtime collaborator (and Slumdog Millionaire Oscar winner) Anthony Dod Mantle as cinematographer. So it’s one good-looking, publicity-grabbing provocation, with an overlay of pseudo-Christian allegory thrown in to deflect a reasonable person’s accusations of misogyny. As a kicker, the director dedicates the picture to the memory of the great Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky—a final flip of the bird to the Cannes audience.”

Variety : http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=festivals&jump=review&reviewid=VE1117940286&cs=1

Lars Von Trier: "I can offer no excuse for 'Antichrist' ... other than my absolute belief in the film -- the most important film of my entire career!"

VALIS

I find that a bit disappointing. Shocking is pretty easy. Subtlety is difficult. Still want to see it, though.

I am actually more interested in seeing the film because of the poor reception at Cannes. It's a reaction more typical than praise for a revolutionary work of art. Somehow L'Avventura once elicited boos and laughter at Cannes as well. Of course, it could just be a complete mess, but von Trier's confidence in it makes me optimistic.

IanZ

One U.S. critic said he and others found the film "offensive," and questioned why it was included in the main competition of 20 films in Cannes.

:lol US critic :lol
Cannes is not where you go see happy-ending family dramas. Fuck critics.

Substance

I actually posted this because I thought it was so amusingly typical of the director in this premiere scenario; of his past. Of course I can't comment on the movie itself but it's no small point to argue that to a certain extent the shocking and provocative content can be just seen as posturing..
However much of the reaction I've read outside the screening appears tempered and willing to give the movie's design a thought.
I'm not even a fan really... Von Trier always splits his audience so argued merits can be readily seen in that indiewire post above and links around..

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1898196_1898204,00.html?iid=tsmodule
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune...cannes-may-17-catcalls-and-ultraviolence.html
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/film-review-antichrist-1003973946.story

Roi

Von Trier is the best director of the last decade. Can't wait to see Anti-Christ!

Antichrist_4.jpg

near

Gold Member
Reading some positive impressions. On the case of spliting up the audience, I think I'll be on the side that enjoys the movie.
I'm not fucked up in the head, but it seems like a real horror flick.

Munin

Cannes is like a convention for the most pretentious and annoying douchebags of the film criticism world.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Munin said:
Cannes is like a convention for the most pretentious and annoying douchebags of the film criticism world.
Basically. They cause a ruckus during screenings and then run to the press room or their hotels and crank out 'reviews' as fast as possible based on first gut reactions. It's like a terrible message board in real life.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The film is being edited for the theatrical release:

Danish filmmaker Lars von Trier has agreed to a toned-down cut of his new film "Antichrist", which features graphic scenes of sexual mutilation, to satisfy foreign censors, his production company said Wednesday.

"We reached an agreement with Lars more than a year ago to make a 'Catholic' version of the movie, to cut some scenes and replace them with others," Peter Aalbaek Jensen, the head of the Zentropa production group, told AFP.

"Otherwise it would be impossible to sell (it) to prude markets like southern Europe, Asia and the United States, where you can't show a naked man from the front," he said.

The film's close-ups of sex and mutilation left audiences gasping, squirming and jeering when it was screened on Monday at the Cannes Film Festival.

Jensen said he "does not know yet which scenes will be censored" and will "talk to distributors in these countries to seek out their opinions on the subject."

The edited version will also enable Zentropa to sell it to television worldwide, he added.

Von Trier will begin work on the new version "after the Cannes festival," he said.

The uncut version of the film, which opens in Denmark on Wednesday, is one of 20 competing for the Palme d'Or at Cannes. It has been hailed by Danish critics, though viewers in Cannes on Monday gave it both cheers and boos.

Perhaps you'd like the violent climax spoiled? It's unlikely this will entirely end up in the release version, but lucky Cannes attendees got to witness the following:

"After knocking him unconscious, Gainsbourg bores a hole in Dafoe's leg with a hand drill and bolts him to a grindstone to keep him from escaping. Then, she smashes his scrotum with some sort of blunt object (the moment of impact happens slightly below the frame). We don't actually see his testicles become disengaged from this body, though it's apparently implied. Next, she brings him to a climax with her hands and he ejaculates blood (yes, it's shown). But that's not all! Later, in an extreme closeup — lensed by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle! — Gainsbourg cuts off her own clitoris with a pair of scissors."

Flo_Evans

Cosmic Bus said:
The film is being edited for the theatrical release:

Perhaps you'd like the violent climax spoiled? It's unlikely this will entirely end up in the release version, but lucky Cannes attendees got to witness the following:

"After knocking him unconscious, Gainsbourg bores a hole in Dafoe's leg with a hand drill and bolts him to a grindstone to keep him from escaping. Then, she smashes his scrotum with some sort of blunt object (the moment of impact happens slightly below the frame). We don't actually see his testicles become disengaged from this body, though it's apparently implied. Next, she brings him to a climax with her hands and he ejaculates blood (yes, it's shown). But that's not all! Later, in an extreme closeup — lensed by Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle! — Gainsbourg cuts off her own clitoris with a pair of scissors."

Holy shit... I must see this.

Flynn

My friend saw it at Cannes. Said it was a like a "horrible dream." A woman next to him in the theater dry heaved, stood up, yelled "you bastard!" and ran out of the theater.

Snaku

Banned
Flynn said:
My friend saw it at Cannes. Said it was a like a "horrible dream." A woman next to him in the theater dry heaved, stood up, yelled "you bastard!" and ran out of the theater.

:lol :lol :lol

Wollan

Just reading that spoilered text is shocking.
That person does what to that person and then makes that person... what?
And then.. what? Holy shit.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wollan said:
Just reading that spoilered text is shocking.
That person does what to that person and then makes that person... what?
And then.. what? Holy shit.
I've seen a montage of what I think was the BME Pain Olympics. Yeah...that was rough...this sounds tame by comparison

You should NEVER search google images for that, btw (and if you do, PLEASE leave safesearch ON)

El Papa

So does this have anything to do with the Anti-Christ and supernatural stuff, or is it all just psychological breakdown type horror?

Dan

IFC picked it up for US release. Hopefully we get the original cut on DVD, if not theatrically. I don't want to see the chopped up one at all.

El Papa

Gattsu25 said:
well...
there IS a talking dog
Right, but
is that just in the wife's head? From the limited info I've read it seems the wife has a mental breakdown and goes nuts. I want to know there's a real supernatural angle or if it's just her freaking out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dan said:
IFC picked it up for US release. Hopefully we get the original cut on DVD, if not theatrically. I don't want to see the chopped up one at all.

In spite of the edits mentioned by Von Trier's production company, IFC is saying that their theatrical release will be what was screened at Cannes.

Dan

Cosmic Bus said:
In spite of the edits mentioned by Von Trier's production company, IFC is saying that their theatrical release will be what was screened at Cannes.
Awesome, didn't see that mentioned.

hXc_thugg

El Papa said:
Right, but
is that just in the wife's head? From the limited info I've read it seems the wife has a mental breakdown and goes nuts. I want to know there's a real supernatural angle or if it's just her freaking out.

Maybe it will be open to interpretation? Like Pan's Labyrinth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom