• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Downloading Law Hits Japan, Up To 2 Years in Prison From Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

There isn't much in the way of awesome streaming video services for audio and video content over there.

Hulu started service over here, but for audio, it's pretty much all iTunes. Amazon.co.jp is slooooooooooowly doing stuff for music but it's laughable.

Game music fans might wanna mosey on over to listen.jp but again, streaming sites? WUT....

Netflix and Hulu have done way more to combat piracy than any laws ever have.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe it's just me but usually when people use the "your song gets pirated you won't earn money", it implies that the sales go directly to the singer... not the publisher/distributor. Regardless on what happens the singer, from what I heard, doesn't really receive whole of the cut.

decaf

sprsk, does this mean if we download a copy of an 8-4 play podcast episode that contains any music that isn't in the public domain, we will go to jail?
Depends if it's available to buy in Japan. Claiming you didn't know it was illegal would make it legal too. Fun times.

Hey guys. I live in Tokyo. I heard about this but I didn't know it just went into action. I just downloaded a season of Californication a moment ago. Uh oh. Guess I'm going to the slammer... :(

CiSTM

Banned
Ah, actually I did download the 5th season. However only the first and second seasons are readily available and translated into Japanese over here. The fifth season appears to be US import only and won't even run on Japanese dvd players. Safe! *moonwalks*

Since GAF has strong anti-piracy policy you could still get banned from here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom