• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antstream Arcade is coming to Xbox

Jose92

[Membe
The retro streaming platform will provide players with over 1,300 games on the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, including Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Mortal Kombat. Its catalogue includes titles from Atari, Commodore, Sega, Nintendo, and PlayStation consoles.

Players will be able to choose between an annual subscription to the platform for $29.99 or $79.99 for lifetime access. The service will be available in Europe, UK, USA, and Canada.

Antstream Arcade is currently available on PC, Mac, Android, Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire TV, and Atari VCS.

Would be a good addition to game pass probably will be coming in the future in some form.

Last edited:

acm2000

cant see it being added to game pass but its not a competing platform so makes sense to come to xbox and i assume playstation eventually

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The arcade and C64 lists are pretty good. Surprised to see all of the Neo Geo titles. An $80 lifetime subscription isn't too bad, either. I would like to try it out.
Yeah, it's an interesting pricing model. $80 for life is doable if there are actually things I'd want to play. I'll look at it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, it's an interesting pricing model. $80 for life is doable if there are actually things I'd want to play. I'll look at it.
It's good to see so many of the classic Williams and Atari arcade games there. If the service works well I could see myself spending a lot of time with stuff like Robotron 2084, Joust and Missile Command. As a means of access and preservation I like the idea. A lot of younger gamers find these old games boring, though. So I don't have much hope in its longevity as a commercial service.

tryDEATH

$80 for a life time license to 1300 games sounds like an amazing deal even if there are only a handful of games that I would be interested in.

Reactions: Isa

alienator

80$ for a lifetime licence where u dont own anything sounds like a great deal! If anyone wonders how 16 bit pixel tilesets look with videocompression: try it!

ReBurn

Gold Member
80$ for a lifetime licence where u dont own anything sounds like a great deal! If anyone wonders how 16 bit pixel tilesets look with videocompression: try it!
I know right? One time I went to this place that lets you drive go-karts inside. I spent like 3 hours there and it cost me about $80 and can you believe that when I was done I didn't own the go-kart, the track, or even the helmet? I mean, I had a blast for the time I was using it but the least they could have done was let me own everything instead of just letting borrowing it for money. Don't even get me started on not owning the bowling alley when I went there. Or the movie theater. Or when I had to pay to park at the beach but I didn't get to own the parking spot or the beach. I don't understand how it's possible to enjoy using something I don't own but somehow I keep managing to.

Isa

Is there a list of current and upcoming games for the service? Also the streaming quality could really be the deal breaker for me, as would the controller support. But otherwise I like the idea.

tryDEATH

Is there a list of current and upcoming games for the service? Also the streaming quality could really be the deal breaker for me, as would the controller support. But otherwise I like the idea.
This certainly isn't for hardcore retro gamers as it doesn't have any of the mega hits many would want and there are some emulation issues when it comes to picture quality.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

Isa

This certainly isn't for hardcore retro gamers as it doesn't have any of the mega hits many would want and there are some emulation issues when it comes to picture quality.

Thanks for the link! And the info, those two things are pretty important. Browsing the list and nothing was particularly catching my eye sadly. I might hold off for now.

Quasicat

There’s a lot of stuff on here, but I recently discovered Webrcade where I loaded my own games through Dropbox and can play them through my Xbox Edge browser. It takes about 20 minutes to set up, but it’s free and can also play on my iPhone through Safari.

https://www.webrcade.com/

Here’s a tutorial video if interested:

$80 for a life time license to 1300 games sounds like an amazing deal even if there are only a handful of games that I would be interested in.

gaffy0idnd6s1q.gif

Fredrik

I want to try it to see how bad the latency and image quality is at my location, but the pricing is a hurdle: $30 per month… or $80 for a one time fee. Both alternatives are making me take a step back. Needs a free trial.

Zathalus

I want to try it to see how bad the latency and image quality is at my location, but the pricing is a hurdle: $30 per month… or $80 for a one time fee. Both alternatives are making me take a step back. Needs a free trial.
$30 per year.

Banned
the most profoundly stupid idea in the history of gaming.

most of these games are smaller than 5MB.
most of these games can be emulated on low power, cheap as fuck hardware.
most of these games rely on fast input response.

this is, astonishingly fucking retarded...

playing Mortal Kombat over a cloud stream would need more data after 10 seconds of gameplay than downloading the whole game.

the app needed for streaming the games most likely needs more processing power than emulating it on MAME.

and a small scale cloud service like this most likely doesn't have the best server coverage, meaning latency will be ridiculously variable.

like... I'm repeating myself, but, god damn is this just so exceptionally braindead

Last edited:
Top Bottom