• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any alternative to Team Viewer?

thief183

So, today Team Viewer decided that I need a commercial use license to control my pc at home and it is really expensive.

Do you guys know any good alternative?

I don't need to do any complicated stuff other than controlling my desktop ^^

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm able to do a simple search on the internet, I'd like to know if somone here have personal experience with some of the alternatives ^^

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
If it’s a pc why aren’t you just using Remote Desktop? Its natively built into windows, nothing to install or configure other than your router for port forwarding. It’s better than team viewer. It’s easy to configure for WAN usage. I control my home computer all the time from the road on my iPad; iPhone and MacBook with it

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
If it’s a pc why aren’t you just using Remote Desktop? Its natively built into windows, nothing to install or configure other than your router for port forwarding. It’s better than team viewer. It’s easy to configure for WAN usage. I control my home computer all the time from the road on my iPad; iPhone and MacBook with it
Yeah, I was going to say why don't you just use RDP?

johntown

Banned
If you open RDP on your home PC you better have an amazing password because you will be attacked non-stop. You could use Go To My PC as an alternative. If you have some technical ability you can use this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CopSSH If you use CopSSH I would recommend changing the default port from 22 to something else to reduce attacks.

EDIT: I have used CopSSH to get around corporate restrictions and use my own PC. It works great but I used port 22 and usually my security logs would be full within an hour from attempts to break in. I disabled root access and made sure I had a very complex/long password.

Last edited:

T8SC

Open RDP ports on a firewall?

Is this the advise we're providing here?

200.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Open RDP ports on a firewall?

Is this the advise we're providing here?

200.gif

Just do it right, change the default RDR port to an obscure one and setup connection restrictions to only allow a specific user. If you have issues with that then no one can help you.

If you open RDP on your home PC you better have an amazing password because you will be attacked non-stop. You could use Go To My PC as an alternative. If you have some technical ability you can use this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CopSSH If you use CopSSH I would recommend changing the default port from 22 to something else to reduce attacks.

EDIT: I have used CopSSH to get around corporate restrictions and use my own PC. It works great but I used port 22 and usually my security logs would be full within an hour from attempts to break in. I disabled root access and made sure I had a very complex/long password.

If you leave it as 3389 and allow any user to login... sure? I can't imagine anyone is that dumb though...

Last edited:

MachRc

Came in to say anydesk as well, co workers with same email address, burned the spot out of my teamviewer public license.

Anydesk is simple and works great. Miss the drag and drop from remote window to current desktop, like TV and logmein, but its free and easy and I cant complain..

Top Bottom