• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any good/new chill romance and/or slice of life anime recommenations?

jorgejjvr

Me and the wife are looking for something not so serious, heartwarming etc

Some things we like:

The world is still beautiful - our favorite romance
Snow white with red hair
Chihayafuru - our favorite with sports invilved
A Place Further than the Universe - favorite slice of life
Spy X Family - current ongoing new favorite
horimiya
quintesential quintuplets
your lie in april
yona of the dawn
food wars
fruits baskets
rascal does not dream of bunny girl sempai
etc

anything new this season or last maybe thats worth a watch?

Last edited:

Doom85

Komi Can’t Communicate. Had a first season last fall and second season is airing now.

GIF by Swaps4

Haven’t started Season 2 yet, but as a reader of the manga I feel it keeps improving over time. The supporting cast get better (the two leads and Najimi kinda carry the first five volumes/Season 1) and while the early stuff is mostly comedy, it goes on to balance comedy, romance, and slice of life really well. I really hope we get a full adaptation as the manga is in its final third supposedly.

Lunarorbit

Me and the wife are looking for something not so serious, heartwarming etc

Some things we like:

The world is still beautiful - our favorite romance
Snow white with red hair
Chihayafuru - our favorite with sports invilved
A Place Further than the Universe - favorite slice of life
Spy X Family - current ongoing new favorite
horimiya
quintesential quintuplets
your lie with april
yona of the dawn
food wars
fruits baskets
rascal does not dream of bunny girl sempai
etc

anything new this season or last maybe thats worth a watch?
I've never watched a romance or slice of life anime. What does slice of life mean? It shows characters going about their day and is more realistic?

Got one out of the list you'd recommend?

jorgejjvr

I've never watched a romance or slice of life anime. What does slice of life mean? It shows characters going about their day and is more realistic?

I think Chihayafuru is that perfect mix

And the world is still beautiful needs to be watched if you like romance

Mossybrew

Laid-Back Camp is probably the best slice of life show I've seen the last couple years.

Kotaro Lives Alone is also pretty good.

Silver Spoon is an older one at this point, but still one of the best.

Last edited:

lachesis

Komi Can’t Communicate. Had a first season last fall and second season is airing now.

GIF by Swaps4

Haven’t started Season 2 yet, but as a reader of the manga I feel it keeps improving over time. The supporting cast get better (the two leads and Najimi kinda carry the first five volumes/Season 1) and while the early stuff is mostly comedy, it goes on to balance comedy, romance, and slice of life really well. I really hope we get a full adaptation as the manga is in its final third supposedly.

It's a cute show and I like it - but they should just change the title to "Everybody simps for Komi".
Even though she's struggling, it's exaggeration of how pretty girls get free pass on everything,... lol.

For OP,
For this season - I'm watching Deaimon. The manga just completed the 1st part and the author is on vaca.

bkYk1Wj.png

The anime itself doesn't seem to be really in high-production value (like Spy X Family) - but I like the storytelling. (Also OP song.)

It's about a girl who's abandoned (?) by her parents and a stumbling, good hearted man somehow filled that void of missing her own parents.
Nothing too dramatic or anything though, and it could feel quite slow - but then again, the story isn't entirely empty either with solid characters and motifs.

And always puts in the mood for the Japanese confectioneries. (And I like Kyoto accent)

Doom85

It's a cute show and I like it - but they should just change the title to "Everybody simps for Komi".
Even though she's struggling, it's exaggeration of how pretty girls get free pass on everything,... lol.

Later on in the manga there are a few supporting characters who do not (initially) like Komi that much. And the supporting characters who idolize her from early in the series get less screen time as new and better supporting characters are introduced who treat Komi like a normal friend, and even better also befriend and respect Tadano unlike some of the original supporting characters.

Plus, Katai only simps for Tadano. :messenger_winking:

Mistake

Slice of life shows usually focus on certain troubles we come across in our lives, and the feelings that come with it. Growing up, jobs, personal relationships, moving, loss, etc. You can try Spy X Family to get an idea, it's a solid new show.

Here's some of mine:
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

Azumanga Daiou
Clannad
Eve no Jikan
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Kino no Tabi
Mushishi (not sure if this counts, but it's a relaxing watch)
Natsume Yuujinchou (similar to mushishi)
Midori no Hibi
Toradora
Usagi Drop
-Movies-
A Silent Voice
Momo e no Tegami
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Hotarubi no Mori e

Last edited:

lachesis

Later on in the manga there are a few supporting characters who do not (initially) like Komi that much. And the supporting characters who idolize her from early in the series get less screen time as new and better supporting characters are introduced who treat Komi like a normal friend, and even better also befriend and respect Tadano unlike some of the original supporting characters.

Plus, Katai only simps for Tadano. :messenger_winking:
Good to know. I haven't read the manga - so I'm flying blind, but I did like the new 2 characters that were introduced for the class trip story.
(Although last valentine episode just kinda dropped the drawing quality quite a bit, unfortunately)

jorgejjvr

Fine Wo Amu (The great passage)
Koi Wa Ameagari (After the rain)
Wotaku ni koi wa muzukashii (Wotakoi)
any idea where I can find them? dont seem to find them on crunchy

is after the rain kinda weird with the 44 year old and the high school girl?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The concept of watching something on TV is chilling, shows like Dragon Ball Z and Gundam are dominated by action.

Sweep14

any idea where I can find them? dont seem to find them on crunchy

is after the rain kinda weird with the 44 year old and the high school girl?
I got them all on Amazon Prime Video but I'm in Europe and don't know if available in your zone.

After the rain is that story yes but it's not weird. The subject of intergenerational love is treated with dignity imho.

killatopak

Gold Member
Nevermind. My recommended was old af. Didn't see you only wanted this season or last's

Last edited:

Doom85

still looking for good recommendations...

For chill anime, I’m currently watching Aharen is Indecipherable (Aharen-san wa Hakarenai).

RyI6wdU.jpg

It follows a guy named Raido who gets seated next to a girl named Aharen who at first seems to not want to talk to him but it turns out she just speaks VERY quietly. He gets used to her volume level though and it just follows them in some funny yet chill hijinks they get into. I do love how it’s mostly a realistic portrayal of high school yet they’ll occasionally slip in something absurd, like when he was still struggling to hear her one of his ideas was to have her make smoke signals from the roof via a bonfire….which they proceed to do in a crazy ideas montage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom