• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any possibility of third party joycons with better ergonomics?

I have fairly large hands. For reference something like palming a basketball off the dribble isn't hard. I'm also the guy who LOVED LOVED LOVED the "duke" controller for the original xbox.

So far I love my switch, and when attached the small size of the joycons isn't an issue because the rest of my fingers/hands can extend behind the screen.

However trying to use the joycons unattached from the system is painful.

I'd say at least half of my gaming time is spent on the treadmill, so I've been trying to play Mario Kart the last 2 days with the joycons detached....OUCH. The joycons are so small and thin that even holding accelerate for most of a single race makes my hands hurt really bad even 30 minutes after the fact.

I would just use my pro controller but jogging at any speed with both hands in front of you is a bit awkward compared to a split controller.

I know third parties will make controllers, do you expect them to make joycons? If a third party made a set that attached to the tablet portion as well I would gladly dump the default set in a drawer for basically ever.

TLDR:

I have big hands and hope third parties make bigger joycons and not just overpriced crappy plastic shells.

Dystify

Maybe the battery pack (coming June 16) will help this issue a bit.

q5HICRW.jpg

I personally rarely play with Joy-Con detached. They're either on the Switch or on the grip.

I personally rarely play with Joy-Con detached. They're either on the Switch or on the grip.

Oh man I totally forgot about these even though I watched that direct! Thanks for reminding me

I don't need more battery life but I might just get these and not bother putting batteries in them. (I don't think the batteries will charge the screen?)

ASIS

Put the strap on to make them thicker.
Yes, strapless Joy cons are fine for:

A) small sessions

B) controls that don't rely on either the D-pad or right stick.

But for everything else, use the strap.

I also bought the finger straps for extra comfort. So far they are a bit tight. But they make controls so much more ergonomic.

Waji

I play with joy-cons without the strap all the time and I don't have a problem.
My hands are neither tiny nor gigantic. Normal for a 183cm person.
But I can easily play without using much pressure on the controller so it probably helps.

The new battery showed in the last Direct could work. It seems to make it quite thicker.

Edit : Ok thought it was about one joy con in each hands, not both and on one, which is not as easy to use, yes.

Zackat

I don't have a switch but couldn't they just make a grip that you could snap the joycon into to make it larger? I wouldn't be shocked if someone has already 3d printed something like that.

I don't have a switch but couldn't they just make a grip that you could snap the joycon into to make it larger? I wouldn't be shocked if someone has already 3d printed something like that.

I've seen some very poorly made ones for using the joycons horizontally.

However if it blocks the joy cons from easily snapping back into the switch it kinda defeats the purpose imo.

kunonabi

I'm fine with the ergonomics it's just the lack of built in straps, speakers, and a dpad that I take issue with. I don't really see a third party version fixing all that.

inner-G

Banned
They have a silicone cover for the joy cons that may help add some grip/girth and I think they're pretty cheap. They might be worth a shot.

Arttemis

I certainly hope for a larger Joyconbwith its own USB port.

Please please please tell me that attachment has a USB port to charge the battery pack and the Joycon together.

21x2

I don't need more battery life but I might just get these and not bother putting batteries in them. (I don't think the batteries will charge the screen?)

This is just speculation and an assumption, but since the entire console charges the Joycons when they are attached, the batteries should increase the lifespan of a single charge for the console somewhat, since it won't need to charge the Joycons while running. But again, that's an assumption, I haven't heard Nintendo officially saying anything about this.

jts

...hate me...
For split gaming, the battery pack is what you need, OP.

With the Joy-con complexity I don't expect third parties coming on board. If there's even a licensing program. The solution is grips and the Pro Controller.

Unicorn

Anyone who wants a nice solution for single joycon play, I can recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MZEDB5W/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked well for MK8 with some friends yesterday, infinitely better than just the joycon, with or without the straps.
I've been on the hunt for a set of these, but all the variants on Amazon seem to have the same caveat: they just can't figure out the shoulder buttons. I really want one with a hinge plunger so I can put at an angle or off to the side and still register a push for the shoulder. All I've seen you still need to be directly over the button to consistently hit it. Too far of a stretch, imo

I certainly hope for a larger Joyconbwith its own USB port.

Please please please tell me that attachment has a USB port to charge the battery pack and the Joycon together.
The battery pack uses traditional batteries.

Even with big hands I find the joycons very comfortable. I do hope for some sort of ergonomic back piece like those battery packs but without covering the railing to attach them

The Boat

Yes, strapless Joy cons are fine for:

A) small sessions

B) controls that don't rely on either the D-pad or right stick.

But for everything else, use the strap.

I also bought the finger straps for extra comfort. So far they are a bit tight. But they make controls so much more ergonomic.
Subjective, I always play without them (except in horizontal mode), I find them more comfortable that way and I love that they fit snugly in my hands. I have regular sized hands I suppose, but I can see how it might be cramped for folks with bigger hands.

Mihos

Gold Member
Even with big hands I find the joycons very comfortable. I do hope for some sort of ergonomic back piece like those battery packs but without covering the railing to attach them

I am exactly the opposite. They are completely usable for me when not attached to the tablet, and very uncomfortable even when on the tablet. I wouldn't mind something that makes them more the same shape/size as a JXD 192 setup, but not sure if I would like that detached. I am pretty much 100% pro controller for now.

Wouldn't mind some crazy game cube ones like have been mocked up in other threads

Unicorn

OP turn auto acceleration on!

Also, doing MP with a shared split Joycon is really wearing on me. Need a controller shell for them, but again, none have figured out how to make the shoulder buttons comfortable - the biggest gripe I have in ergonomics.

For the OP, have you tried using the grip that came with the system? Maybe using two of those or cutting a single one in half would alleviate the issue?

Top Bottom