• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Tips for FFX Remaster? Original or arranged soundtack?

Chase17

I am about an hour in to the game, just made a sweet campfire. Only FF games I've played are VII (vita) and the first disc of IX (ios). Had to drop IX since I needed more space on my phone but liked what I played and will hopefully go back at some point.

I was wondering if there are any general tips I should know going in. I chose the standard sphere grid option which hopefully should be fine.

Other big question is about the soundtrack. I was wondering if one of the soundtracks is preferable to the other. I've never touched the original so hearing different versions of the songs wouldn't be jarring or anything.

You can switch soundtracks mid-game. Arranged soundtrack almost all of the time, but switch to the original soundtrack whenever you're in Besaid.

Levyne

Banned
I think the new soundtrack is overall better, but opinions and all that. If you don't have any nostalgia for the original, probably just go with the new one.

Otherwise, the game is not very hard. The only advice I have is

1.) Try to make sure that all of your characters take an action in most battles (even if you swap them in to defend and out again)

2.) Use a guide for something called Al Bhed Primers. Some are missable.

Edit: I guess maybe also use a guide for temple trials since they can be headaches otherwise.

nivorae

how they raped redacted's battle theme in the remaster soundtrack is the only reason needed to keep on the original one

since no you have no nostalgia for the PS2 OST, play the new one. Also enjoy FFX. I own more copies of FFX than most other franchises as a whole combined. Fantastic game.

The game is really easy, and you should do fine, aside from a handful of bosses.
I played through the remaster to since if my tastes had changed since the original FFX came out, and I was pleasantly surprised that they have.
I disliked the game the first time around, but I enjoyed it the second time around.

The battle system is pretty easy, and generally each enemy type can be 1-hit-KO'd by one of your characters.
Your ranged fighter will get the flying ones, your heavy sword guy will kill the armored ones, and so on.
It's almost too easy. The boss fights are where the system actually shines. Pay close attention to turn order, and how different moves affect character speed.
Haste and Slow are really good white magics for Tidus to learn.

Other big question is about the soundtrack. I was wondering if one of the soundtracks is preferable to the other. I've never touched the original so hearing different versions of the songs wouldn't be jarring or anything.

You're going to like which ever one sounds better to you. Our opinions aren't going to reflect your tastes. That's just how music is. I still tried both songs whenever I fot to a new area by switching it in the menu.
The new arranged soundtrack is better, but "change be damned" to most folks. They want to hear that super low quality yamaha keyboard soundtrack.
Composition is basically the same, and that's all that really matters.

JayB1920

Some tacks are better on the arranged soundtrack while others are better on the original. Both are good but they arguably changed the instrumentation and composition too much for some of the songs in the remaster.

I used the original most of the time, but changing to the arranges is nice when bored (specially grinding). Some tracks feel better, others worse. It's more of a personal tastes thing, tbh.

My advice is to use a guide for the Albhed primers location, as they are the only items that can be missed and there's no way of obtaining a few of them again unless you import them from another savegame. It's nice being able to understand what they say.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Original is way better in my opinion, but its up to opinion.

Do not grind in the game, OP. You shouldn't ever need to, at least not for the main story. The majority of the extra stuff is meant to be done more towards the end of the game when you get access to an airship. Any trouble you have against bosses is better dealt with by just trying to play better rather than wasting your time grinding (which will get the job done but come on that's boring). Good luck and have fun.

Chase17

Thanks for the responses!

Good to hear that the game isn't too tough. I've heard that there are long unstoppable cutscenes before some boss fights so hopefully that doesn't become a problem.

Also I haven't seen a menu option for switching sound on the fly yet, but if I can do that without going back to the title screen I probably try out both in each new area.

Bluenoser

I am about an hour in to the game, just made a sweet campfire. Only FF games I've played are VII (vita) and the first disc of IX (ios). Had to drop IX since I needed more space on my phone but liked what I played and will hopefully go back at some point.

I was wondering if there are any general tips I should know going in. I chose the standard sphere grid option which hopefully should be fine.

If you are going for the platinum trophy you may want to consult a guide, as there are some annoying missables. Otherwise, have fun - It's a fantastic game.

Boke1879

It's tough because there's a few tracks in the remastered OST that are just overall better IMO. Yet some of the original tracks are still quality. Just stick with the arranged OST for now since you don't have nostalgia

As far as leveling is concerned:

-swap every character into every battle, even if you just have them defend for one turn by hitting 'triangle.' it takes just a few seconds but it'll ensure that your entire party levels up rapidly without ever needing to just run around and grind
-overkill every single boss - Overkill is an effect that seriously increases the experience you get from an enemy and, more importantly, doubles the items they drop, which is essential when enemies drop stat-boosting items. generally, do this by making sure you finish them with an overdrive attack, preferably from an aeon strong in the boss's elemental weakness if they have one. this, too, will seriously speed up your leveling and prevent you from needing to grind ever
-don't just blast bosses with every single summon's overdrive to defeat them - it's not fun *and* it'll prevent you from learning the battle system particularly well, so as soon as bosses start countering this tactic it'll feel like a huge difficulty spike unless you've been fighting fairly the whole time
-use Tidus's overdrives as soon as his overdrive bar is full, always, because he learns new ones based on how many times he's done an overdrive attack. the game's not incredibly hard so you don't really need to save those for boss fights for the most part (but other people's overdrives should probably be saved, just in case - you don't need them to beat regular enemies)

The big thing if you want to make it is easier is to make sure to swap in every character in each battle & have them do something even if it's only defend. Every character who does something in combat gets XP and it's not divided by number of characters.

Started it this week and either is fine. I was worried after hearing the new version of To Zanarkand, but aside from a couple duds the new soundtrack is incredibly similar to the original.

Others have recommended it here, but unless you plan on doing everything, I wouldn't worry about subbing in characters every battle. The game's easy enough as it is, and it's not particularly hard to get a character that's fallen behind to catch up.

That being said, I do recommend swapping characters in and out of battle frequently. If you see an enemy that a certain character is designed to take out, swap them in ASAP. This is especially true for enemies with elemental and piercing weaknesses.

The other important thing to remember is that equipment can be changed in real time. It takes very little action time to do so, and can save you in certain situations.

Top Bottom