• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any tips on "revisiting" an older console generation?

supernova8

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of those "relaxing PS1/PS2 music" youtube playlists while working recently, and it's made me want to "go back" and "experience" those generations again.

Of course I know the main options logistically are either physically buying the console in question and games, or emulation. I'm talking more about the "experience". It's really hard to explain but I remember the excitement when I was a kid (and then a bit older) for the PS1 and PS2 launches respectively.

I suppose I want to somehow have my own "Giant Bomb Launch extravaganza" (before Giant Bomb became shit) for PS1 and/or PS2.

My biggest barrier is that I have a Switch, Series S, PS4, and an OK-ish PC for games, so I have this mental block saying "no, why the hell do you wanna go back and play those old ass games?!"

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? If so, what did you do to make the experience "magical"?

Last edited:
Playing PS1 on a Vita/PSP or dedicated retro handheld is a lot of fun. Unfortunately your options for conveniently playing PS2 are pretty limited at the moment, hopefully by next year there'll be retro handhelds on the market that can handle it properly.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you go for emulation, I advise setting up shaders to achieve a look similar to displays of the time so that you aren't seeing the flaws in the way LCDs normally show them. That includes transparency issues and dithering, which are worth understanding if you want the look to be accurate.

Shader packs for RetroArch such as CyberLabs Death To Pixels can be used to great effect. They've gotten a bit darker since the early days of his packs, but there's many options and shaders can be customised.

You can also enable things like Run Ahead in emulators these days, which removes input latency.

mrmustard

Banned
I love retro gaming, but to be honest i mostly play the games i already played as a kid and rarely games i didn't play back then. Guess the memories are part of the fun.

Playing PS1 on a Vita/PSP or dedicated retro handheld is a lot of fun. Unfortunately your options for conveniently playing PS2 are pretty limited at the moment, hopefully by next year there'll be retro handhelds on the market that can handle it properly.
I think Android smartphones should be strong enough to emulate PS2 games. I use a smartphone mysealf and even my cheap ass old smartphone easily handles N64 or PS1, where 90% of very expensive handhelds fail, so i guess PS2 shouldn't be a problem on newer smartphones.

I love retro gaming, but to be honest i mostly play the games i already played as a kid and rarely games i didn't play back then. Guess the memories are part of the fun.

I think Android smartphones should be strong enough to emulate PS2 games. I use a smartphone mysealf and even my cheap ass old smartphone easily handles N64 or PS1, where 90% of very expensive handhelds fail, so i guess PS2 shouldn't be a problem on newer smartphones.
Playing on a smartphone is jank as fuck though. You're burning through your battery and you need one of those attachable controllers.

mrmustard

Banned
Playing on a smartphone is jank as fuck though. You're burning through your battery and you need one of those attachable controllers.
Attachable controller is like 10 bucks while decent handhelds are much more than 100 Dollars. I'm using an old smartphone with a 5000mah. Lasts forever and i even have a 6,5" OLED instead of those shitty 3,5" LCDs.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Personally I've really enjoyed my time playing retro games with modern features on NSO and also PS Premium, the Rewind specifically is such a damn good feature.

ekjWuES.jpg

Hudo

Emulators. There are only very few consoles where I'd recommend playing on the real thing rather than just playing on an emulator with an appropriate controller.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I've been listening to a lot of those "relaxing PS1/PS2 music" youtube playlists while working recently, and it's made me want to "go back" and "experience" those generations again.

Of course I know the main options logistically are either physically buying the console in question and games, or emulation. I'm talking more about the "experience". It's really hard to explain but I remember the excitement when I was a kid (and then a bit older) for the PS1 and PS2 launches respectively.

I suppose I want to somehow have my own "Giant Bomb Launch extravaganza" (before Giant Bomb became shit) for PS1 and/or PS2.

My biggest barrier is that I have a Switch, Series S, PS4, and an OK-ish PC for games, so I have this mental block saying "no, why the hell do you wanna go back and play those old ass games?!"

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? If so, what did you do to make the experience "magical"?
Old games are great, no need for mental blocks, Just start one up and dive in.

Most the time you'll get only a day or two out of it because your memories will come back and you'll feel like you've done it before.

Whatever you do, definitely emulate before diving deep into retrotinks or devices like that. Buying multiple devices and cables only to play a couple of days becomes a waste hahaha trust me I know.

mrmustard

Banned
Emulators. There are only very few consoles where I'd recommend playing on the real thing rather than just playing on an emulator with an appropriate controller.
Not only that, you can also improve graphics and so on and most importantly, you can save your games.

Hudo

Not only that, you can also improve graphics and so on and most importantly, you can save your games.
Yeah, especially the filters are a godsend since some 16 bit games can look better with a CRT filter applied on a modern screen. An emulator gives you the option to use something like that or not. That's the beauty of it.

cireza

I play old games every week. Still have my CRT and original consoles plugged and ready to go anytime.

You don't have to do anything, it simply is a fantastic experience, same as it was 30 years ago.

Drizzlehell

Banned
"no, why the hell do you wanna go back and play those old ass games?!"
I struggled with this dilemma for a while but then I figured that it's just unproductive OCD-like thinking. I too have so much gaming hardware now that some of it can go months without being used and it's only collecting dust, but the reality is that you only have so much time during the day. It's supposed to be a hobby that you do for fun so if I have a choice between some old-ass game that I feel like playing right now, or playing something on those those 600 dollar VR goggles just because it feels more appropriate to do so, then fuck it. I'm in a mood for Nightmare Creatures 2 right now, and that's it.

Banned
I'm playing older games all the time.

just within the last 12 months I played through Disaster Report 1&2, Chibi Robo, Urban Chaos Riot Response and played many others for considerable amounts of time. usually through emulation.

I personally don't discriminate between generations when it comes to looking for games I want to play.

if I remember a PS2 game I always wanted to play but didn't get to for some reason, or if I find out about a game I didn't know at all before and it looks interesting, I'll play it 🤷

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I've bought Switch OLED just to play old games that I will never play home. Okami, BioShock collection, Final Fantasy 10, 12. Old Zeldas etc... Couldn't be happier!

RAIDEN1

I want to get back to the Gamecube soon as possible but I am thinking I may just buy a Wii instead of trying to see if the old Gamecube would work after decades being in the cupboard...and whether or not it has the necessary digital output needed for modern TVs I don't know yet...and as I don't have a new PC, and with the Series X out-right banning Dolphin, I want a straight-forward and easy setup to go back and check out Wave Race, Simpsons Hit and Run, James Bond games..to name but a few ....

graywolf323

the Steam Deck can handle them solidly and at $400 for the base model is probably the most affordable while giving you the widest range for emulation support on a handheld right now

_Ex_

My biggest barrier is that I have a Switch, Series S, PS4, and an OK-ish PC for games, so I have this mental block saying "no, why the hell do you wanna go back and play those old ass games?!" Has anyone ever attempted something like this? If so, what did you do to make the experience "magical"?

I own a Switch and PS4, but I still play old games all the time (last night I beat Barunba on PC Engine).

I don't make the experience "magical", I don't know what you're talking about with that. The experience is, you're playing a fun game that simply exists on older hardware than what is currently available. Good game design does not expire with age, good game design is eternal. Graphic capability does not equate to good game design, it's just the icing on the fun cake. When you start playing an old game, at first the graphics may seem unappealing (if you're accustomed to modern graphics), but the "magic" thing that happens is, you quickly adjust to those old graphics, because you are taken in by the game's inherent design. Soon enough you don't even notice the graphics anymore, instead you are focused on the gameplay. As it should always be with this medium. And don't fall victim to the argumentum ad novitatem fallacy. Newer is not automatically better. Newer is just newer.

I recommend a good USB controller and using software emulation. A lot of purists will piss in my face for that. Whatever. I own a MiSTer and I don't even use the thing, because I'd honestly rather use Bizhawk. Quality software emulation is A-OK. This is coming from a guy who started video gaming in 1982 (meaning I've owned shit loads of real consoles) and runs a retro gaming forum. You're not "doing it wrong" just because you're doing it less expensively. My point is, don't get hung up on the access methodology, just play the old games, which are still new-to-you, and have fun. And you will have fun, once you actually engage with the games.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

PS1 consoles and PS2 sell in their used state for like a 1/4 of the price or less of any modern console. I've done this and I'd just go back, buy the console which was giving me nostalgia.

Games are more of an investment for the older consoles depending on the title. However, it's fun going to a used game store or on eBay and buying these back too. I did this so much to a point of buying back, selling again that I decided there were certain older consoles were for keeps.

Want to full experience too with PS1 & 2? Play those on a CRTV. So, maybe check Craigslist and pick up the 4:3 CRT. Otherwise, you're only going halfway.

Ulysses 31

If you still got the old consoles (and deep pockets), get a RetroTink 5X and good quality cables to hook them up to modern displays.

Or have them modded with an HDMI output.

Or you can go with cheap adapter options but it likely will look pretty bad.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I want to get back to the Gamecube soon as possible but I am thinking I may just buy a Wii instead of trying to see if the old Gamecube would work after decades being in the cupboard...and whether or not it has the necessary digital output needed for modern TVs I don't know yet...and as I don't have a new PC, and with the Series X out-right banning Dolphin, I want a straight-forward and easy setup to go back and check out Wave Race, Simpsons Hit and Run, James Bond games..to name but a few ....
Yup just buy a Wii. Wii has incredible backwards compatibility! It's less expensive and much easier to find HDMI conversion kits or original component cables for it.

Gamecube HDMI/Component is more problematic for a multitude of reasons (only certain models are compatible, cables are more expensive, especially the original component cables).

Plus you have the advantage of playing must play Wii games also (Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, New Super Mario Bros, etc.)

Crayon

I do lots of retro gaming. I actually just picked up a bunch of stuff and been having a great time. I like original hardware but it's getting a like expensive.l depending on what you are looking for.

Start off with the ps premium games and see if the itch goes away. if you still want more and you are going down the original hardware route, I recommend a retrotink 2x and a PS2. Emulators are great too, of course.

I still own all of mine and buy more classic games from time to time. It's still fun for me to play them, not sure how to suggest getting "the magic" though.

BryceNobody

so I have this mental block saying "no, why the hell do you wanna go back and play those old ass games?!"
I get where you’re coming from with all the new stuff available — but if you commit to either emulation (or better yet, OG hardware with some modern HDMI adapters) you’ll still have a fantastic time. Games are entertainment! Play whatever you’re in the mood for.

Definitely worth the effort even if it’s just a handful of titles you’d like to revisit.

Last edited:

killatopak

Emulators make this so much easier with added qol as well like widescreen hacks or fps hacks that remove the 30fps lock from certain games.

I recently replayed all PSX RE games and it was an absolute blast.

Some stuff however still do require a good ol CRT and console cause they aren’t fixed in the emulators yet. Onimusha for example has bugs that let you see all items that are pickable over the 2D background. Valkyrie Profile 2 has this weird bug with particle effects like mists that makes the screen go red. Some of it can be fixed by using software renderer but that’s like original resolution. Might as well play it on a CRT which look 100x better than even on a 4k tv.

nial

Gold Member
I've been playing Ape Escape 3 on my PS2 recently. Great game, I'm hoping for a re-release on PS4/PS5.

MarkMe2525

Over the years I have curated a collection of consoles that recreates what I grew up with. I originally had them hooked up to my 65" which left a lot to be desired. I attempted to remedy this through using filters with emulation, but really it did not feel right until I got myself a 27-in CRT off of Facebook marketplace.

most "magical" probably is original hardware.
the sights, sounds,... smells.

just be careful of controllers from ebay/amazon/etc... tons of fakes.

some games are stupid expensive now though, so you may want to research alternative methods.

Gametrek

Banned
I own Amiga 2000, NEC PC98, Saturn ( which I love to have out to scare people ), I mean go with your heart.
After watching MetalJesusRocks ( which gives tons of respect to gaming and all ) and seeing his outlook on the gameverse...

At this moment I would just invest in a PC, ( not even the newest model ) and just emulate the systems if you can. When I can run Dreamcast, GCN, N64, on a tablet or phone from 2018 itis is wlike why bother go back to that.

Logically all X-box titles ported to PC is way better then whatever the X-box or 360 could ever do.

Why not a Steam-Box? I mean it is nice and all but I would compare portability. Honestly Linux is not worth my time.

Only small features count. Like Palette swapping on specific consoles, or using a floppy on a SNES, to even light-guns, and TV-toys. Without the community ( I mean a real community called a family ) nothing counts.

I barely touch "that" stuff anymore and have to focus on life.

If you want that experience then be my guess. However my 100Mhz computer that could run ePSXe would say differ.

tecmo9000

If you go for emulation, I advise setting up shaders to achieve a look similar to displays of the time so that you aren't seeing the flaws in the way LCDs normally show them. That includes transparency issues and dithering, which are worth understanding if you want the look to be accurate.

Shader packs for RetroArch such as CyberLabs Death To Pixels can be used to great effect. They've gotten a bit darker since the early days of his packs, but there's many options and shaders can be customised.

You can also enable things like Run Ahead in emulators these days, which removes input latency.

Subscribed!

Bry0

Emulation is the best way to start. If it clicks then get the hardware. I would really only recommend hardware if you are decently proficient with tech though since repairs and maintenance are becoming more necessary. I recently just played halo 1 with a duke on an OG Xbox and it was like a spiritual experience for me. Literally started to have flashbacks. Emulating or playing MCC just doesn’t feel same.

Last edited:
Pick a small window, say 2000-2002 and play a few games from that time frame. SH2, DMC1, MGS2, REMake, Ico, Red Faction, Jak 1, R&C 1, POP, Halo, Metroid Prime, Twisted Metal Black, Fatal Frame, Munchs Odyssey, Zone of the Enders, etc, etc, etc. Note, I suggest not doing an entire console lifespan and sticking to 1-2 year intervals at most. Picking a single year (2001) is best if you've got the library for it.

If you want to be real extra, go back and read previews of games or watch YouTube videos of games or games events from that era.

Serge85

If you want to experience the "real deal" buy whatever console you want + a flashcart. If you plan on playing on a modern TV, you must buy a good upscaler, I recommend the retrotink 5x (300 USD) plus some good RGB or component cables.

Also you can go the emulation route... via pc, retropie, etc, or the FPGA way like the mister FPGA.

Hoddi

Raspberry Pi and tube TV was how I went about it. I found a project here in Europe that creates RGB SCART cables for the Pi and it's a very clean and simple solution for us Euros since any CRT will have one of those connectors. It's worth looking into if you live in Euroland because the picture quality is flawless and doesn't take much space other than the TV.

I've never bothered with those devices that connect OG consoles to HDTVs though. If I wanted to use my 4k TV then I'd rather just set up a small emulation PC with CRT shaders. Those can look fairly decent on 4k screens even down to emulating individual subpixels and phosphor glow.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I used my CRT setup a lot as I've only played ~10 games to completion since setting it up in 2020. But I never would have played through Chrono Trigger or Rondo of Blood if I hadn't. I have zero intention of getting rid of it.

Top Bottom