• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Wii U owners pissed off the console is getting replaced soon?

webster1

Neo Member
I have 20 games that are a blast to play on my Wii u, I am getting xenoblade soon too. I am waiting to preorder FExSMT and I have had a working preorder for Zelda Wii u since game awards last year. Compares to my PlayStation 4 which only has 3 disc games and a bunch of PSN+ stuff I backlog... Black swan is oddly good. I'll be getting a launch day nx too since, for what ever reason, Nintendo makes killer action platformers. I have a feeling xenoblade will be jrpg of the year too. (I have tales of zestria for ps4 and that's taken for ever to localize) also on Wii u I have earthbound so I can play it without paying 300$ and it has an online guide if I get lost. The only thing from 3ds and Wii u that has bugged me is I can't have an eshop account on multiple 3ds.

As long as Nintendo doesn't get a library of 30+% fps in the launch window of nx I will love that system too. With the quality of games on Wii u i fear I may have to say that even in 3 years it has taken over my super Famicom as my favourite console.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm thinking on buying one because of smash alone (I play a lot of brawl with my Bros) but the fact that NX may have BC puts me on thinking it...

Percy

Banned
Kinda, but it's still the console thats provided the best exclusives this gen so far (and not by a small margin I might add) so I can't say I haven't gotten my moneys worth. Just hope the NX has a tad more staying power.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it late 2014. It has been worth the money so far, but only barely so. If it was my primary console, I would be extremely disappointed, but I already knew Nintendo was gonna Nintendo, so why fuss?

foltzie1

Anyone who bought the Wii U after the first weekend and who participates in this forum was on notice regarding the future of the Wii U.

It was clear almost from the start that this system was going to have sales issues and as a result Nintendo might pivot sooner rather than later.

Ansatz

Because NIntendo's A-teams have been conspicuously absent. There were no major announcements at E3. It's really obvious that they're holding everything back, rather than focusing on Wii U. 2D/3D Mario, Retro's next project (Metroid?) and Zelda getting pushed back to next fall (dual platform release?) and still no big Amiibo-centric title seem to suggest they've got a launch coming.

Well 2D Mario is Mario Maker.

3D Mario could be a 2016 holiday launch title for NX handheld.

The console will probably launch in 2017, that's when they'll release Retro's game.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
I still have more games that are already out that I need to play on it and I'm pretty doubtful the NX is coming out next year, so no concerns on support ending soon. Especially not with Xenoblade coming out soon and with TPHD and Zelda U coming next year.

DoctorSaius

Neo Member
I think it does suck that my Wii U will be replaced after only a year or two of owning it, but I'd much rather see a Nintendo console that has new games that I'd hopefully be interested in playing.

As a first time owner of a home console from Nintendo, I'm not too bothered; there's a decent enough amount of exclusives plus a lot of virtual console stuff that I've never played before. most of the games are pretty expensive too so the less must have games for me to get the better lol.

If I were a dedicated Nintendo guy I might be a bit sore, but most of those people will buy the NX anyway I guess?

Dryk

It sucks that the system floundered but it's not worth dragging out its life-cycle when we could have a console that's doing better.

RomanceDawn

I'd be upset if the console was going strong with plenty of potential years left. As it is now it's for the best to pull the plug soon. These things happen, what can you do? Just enjoy what you have now and hope the next system does better to keep support from all kinds of companies.

It's ashame cause I love my Wii U. I think it's the best system since the SNES with some fantastic games. I'm one of the few that think that NX is a 2017 or beyond release. I can't imagine it selling any more than the Wii U, especially if you factor in previous Nintendo console sales.

See, this is what I'm curious about. What do you think Nintendo possibly has in store to keep the Wii U afloat for the next two(?!?!) years? There won't be another Mario or Zelda game, they probably aren't gonna do a second Star Fox or Yoshi game, I could see them maaaaybe putting out another Kirby game, and then Pikmin 4 (which, honestly when they said they were making one, do we even know if it's supposed to be a Wii U title?)

Like, between now and Fall of 2017 or later, there won't be any 3rd party games. Not big ones anyway, unless they're partnerships like Hyrule Warriors. But that's still a Nintendo game. There won't be anything but Nintendo games on the Wii U for the next two years if their new system doesn't launch until 2017 or beyond, and it's so obvious that they've already put all their main teams on next-gen development. Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, DK, those are all done for this gen. Smash Bros and Splatoon will get DLC but that's DLC, not a new game on the shelf for people to buy.

With the Mario team saying they're focused on the next system, and Retro saying they're not gonna do another Metroid game until next system, and Zelda launching in the second half of next year, and the Animal Crossing team shitting out these horrible spinoffs instead of an actual real home AC game, to me, it's clear there's no more big software in the pipeline for Wii U from Nintendo. Shitty spinoffs and HD remakes aren't gonna keep customers happy for the next two years. Even Star Fox isn't actually being made by Nintendo themselves

Fire emblem X SMT is still coming to Wii U right?

I got the Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fire Emblem X SMT.

Splatoon was a pleasant surprised. Burnt out on Mario. Zelda kind of lost me after the N64 gen (like when are they going to marry off Link and Zelda so that the future games you can play a different protagonist who defends the kingdom or something along them lines. You know something different for the franchise).

I bought a Wii U for its two unique JRPG'S it's getting and I treated everything else as a pleasant surprised.

As for NX. I hope Nintendo learnt from the jab they took to the chin this gen. I know they will support the NX with their first party machine but I hope they extend themselves to western developers for a greater third party support.

Qblivion

No, I'm hoping the next one has a regular controller and is relatively gimmick free. Excited for a change

not holding my breath

Still at least 2 years out I would say. Show NX at e3 2016, launch xmas 2017, game drought for another 6 months. So maybe it replaces it in Summer 2018. That's a while to go.

Malio

I was pissed off at my Wii U a long time ago. Nine games for it, and I only really played MH3U for a long period of time. The rest gathered dust along with the console itself.

Feichaw

Yes. That's why I traded it for a PS4. The fact that the prices of the games are very very high in my country helped me to make this decision too.

kagamin

No I'm never pissed about my console getting replaced, because I know that I don't necessarily have to buy the next console at launch (and it also helps that I received he Wii U as a gift from a family member too).

Vildiil

I've enjoyed every single game I've purchased for the Wii U but I am a bit sad cause I only bought the console this past May, and it might be replaced next year sometime.

RM8

It just lived a year less than your average console, so given its sales - no, I'm okay with my WiiU, and it has some of my favourite games in ages, so yeah.

DarkSniper

Neo Member
I'm glad that Nintendo decided to waive the white flag early on the Wii-U. They're finally getting the karma they deserve for trying to screw over Sony back in the 90's. F*ck Nintendo.

I would rather it wasn't getting replaced, but I can't be too upset. I've gotten a lot of use out of the console.

Mind you, it was a day zero purchase, so I've had the console for a lot longer than some people here.

RM8

I'm glad that Nintendo decided to waive the white flag early on the Wii-U. They're finally getting the karma they deserve for trying to screw over Sony back in the 90's. F*ck Nintendo.
Not even Sony executives feel this strongly about it, I bet.

digdug2k

I think it does suck that my Wii U will be replaced after only a year or two of owning it, but I'd much rather see a Nintendo console that has new games that I'd hopefully be interested in playing.
That's where I am too. Sad to see the little guy flounder so much, but I love Nintendo's games. Hope they can pull out of this nosedive.

GDGF

Soothsayer

How dare they prevent Sony's Super Famicom royalty takeover scheme!

tci

More pissed off that we haven't got any Zelda yet. Bought it for that reason. Have had it since launch. Not played on for like 2 years now. So disappointing.

nope, cuz I never bought it! lol... Seriously though, if had buddies to play Smash and Mario Kart with me, it would be a keeper and likely something I would never sell. If NX isn't b/c, WiiU will be one of the best legacy platforms to have since its fully backwards compatible with Wii making the library a great one.

For now, I just occasionally look at my new copies of Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart and go "one day guys, one day"

Top Bottom