• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody Cleaned their PS4PRO, and did it help noise wise?

Did you open and fully cleaned your PS4PRO and replaced the thermal paste?

• Total voters

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Alright, I had this issue, my Pro sounded like a jet engine. What I did was simple. You're gonna need a torx screwdriver, a can of WD40, some rubbing alcohol, a small rubber band, perhaps some tweezers, if you're not a very steady hand, and a small amount of money and patience. So what you do, is you take all of that crap I told you to just buy, put it away in your cupboards, and buy a PS5.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Alright, I had this issue, my Pro sounded like a jet engine. What I did was simple. You're gonna need a torx screwdriver, a can of WD40, some rubbing alcohol, a small rubber band, perhaps some tweezers, if you're not a very steady hand, and a small amount of money and patience. So what you do, is you take all of that crap I told you to just buy, put it away in your cupboards, and buy a PS5.

Wkwkwkw Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IDK about the Pro, but cleaning the fan on my launch PS4 once a year at minimum, kept it pretty quiet till this day.

Batman approved,

Last edited:
Multiple times, change paste, tried an expensive pad. Ultimately it always went back to being a jet fan in very little time, eventually I just gave up. What sucks is that I don't feel comfortable selling it to anyone in this state so it's still here.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What the fuck, am I seeing this correctly? DO NOT PUT YOUR CONSOLES IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE!

Thanks for your words of wisdom and lack of reading me saying it was already loud af BEFORE I put in a SEMI enclosed space.

Reactions: Isa

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ok i cleaned the fan. Going go keep it.

I disassembled the whole pro. Pretty easy except for removing one unit but whatever.

Cleaned everything

But I fucked up...

I disconnect the soldered (I guess) parts. They're still intact tho it seems

Supposed to go next to the "pincher"

Any way to let someone solder this (I've never soldered) and if yes, I should probably find out what kind of tin should be used regarding heat? Or not? I'm at a loss atm. And feel frustrated and stupid.

Any help is very welcome.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

nbkicker

Guess i must have been a lucky one as my day one ps4 pro is silent, even when the fan does kick up its never noisey, deffently can hear my ps5 more when playing games then the ps4 pro

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Giving my Pro to my son who games with headphones and buying a PS5 was such a game changer, the thing is practically silent whereas I can hear his pro from down the street ffs

I know man. That's why I'm doing this.

No an old shop that fixes TVs and shit and going to give him a call tomorrow. Hopefully it's fixable.

I'm such a douche

SyberWolf

i did cleaning + thermal paste, didnt do anything for my pro model since the inside wasnt even that dirty in the first place.
so i just gave it to a friend who was still rocking a base model and i bought the spiderman version.
and honestly it was still a bit too loud for my taste but a lot better.
now i have a PS5 and thats the best option if you like a silent machine.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Since I bought and XSS I haven't touched my Pro for that very reason. Just wanted to try to perhaps get it less loud until I obtain a PS5

No help as of yet 😭

• Empathy

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Guess i must have been a lucky one as my day one ps4 pro is silent, even when the fan does kick up its never noisey, deffently can hear my ps5 more when playing games then the ps4 pro

Yeah the draw of the luck regarding internal components is ....

What would Jesus say? Unjust?

Last edited:
  • LOL

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Only thing that really helped with noise for me was:

changing the fan,
replacing the ram pads,
and in the process of doing all that replaced the thermal paste.

Overall it did get better for a few months, but certain games just made the console scream no matter what.

Arcadialane

Just found out the pro was made so you can snap off the top without avoiding warranty and no need to mess with screws. Gives you access to the fan to clean.
It's actually a bit better after I used some canned air spray on it, but still way too loud.

Only thing that really helped with noise for me was:

changing the fan,
replacing the ram pads,
and in the process of doing all that replaced the thermal paste.

Overall it did get better for a few months, but certain games just made the console scream no matter what.
It's not worth the time. A repair shop did all the Work for me.

Result was the pro was only one level less noisier. Still a vacumecleaner while playing Modern Warfare 2019.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's not worth the time. A repair shop did all the Work for me.

Result was the pro was only one level less noisier. Still a vacumecleaner while playing Modern Warfare 2019.

It was pretty easy actually and If I didn't fucked up it would be running now#

#not really Elden Ring on XSS Lmao

Dirt and dust will make it louder but even brand new, PS4 can still get loud. When the fan gets to level 2, you will hear it. It's just how the system is designed.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Dirt and dust will make it louder but even brand new, PS4 can still get loud. When the fan gets to level 2, you will hear it. It's just how the system is designed.

Man even googling for fans was such headache inducing in cleaned my so well you can.... use it? Hope it helped. Coocked on dust makes it work harder thus more noise.

Kilau

Yeah the metal components or whatever that should be attached. You saw my pictures?
Yeah, I’m on mobile so I may have linked the wrong thing.

I googled “ps4 pro solder pins” and the results were about the power pin.

This guy goes over the process of resoldering the pin connection.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I see. I'll have to let someone else do it but it's possible then fuck yeah! (On mobile as well)

BlackTron

I feel so bad hearing all these stories about jet engine PS4 Pro.

Mine isn't even much noisier than the Series X. I guess it's just a lottery.

Patrick S.

Banned
The PS4 Pro I had was quite noisy, too. I took it apart and applied MX4 paste. That made it better, but the console was still a bit too loud for my taste. Still better than the fatty, bc PS3 I still have. That thing is just obscenely loud.

BlackTron

Depends. Do you have a launch PS4 pro??

I pretty much got mine around the last possible moment you could just walk into a store and get one like it was no big deal. Two things spurred it on, the PS5 hardware reveal and GoT coming out. I wanted that game soon, and I did not want that hardware ever. Decision made.

I had no idea just what a good decision it was at the time, and what was about to happen in the hardware market :messenger_neutral:

I guess very late gen Pros have most of the kinks worked out?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I changed the thermal paste on mine and it is still loud. The paste was dry and crumbly. I think the fan is just a loud fan. I'm not bothered by fan noise so I'm confident the console is ok.

I pretty much got mine around the last possible moment you could just walk into a store and get one like it was no big deal. Two things spurred it on, the PS5 hardware reveal and GoT coming out. I wanted that game soon, and I did not want that hardware ever. Decision made.

I had no idea just what a good decision it was at the time, and what was about to happen in the hardware market :messenger_neutral:

I guess very late gen Pros have most of the kinks worked out?
All the launch PS4 pros are loud. You can also check out digital foundry. The Release pro is just plain horrible when It comes to noise.

Isa

Sorry to hear about your issues. Its rough, I had a launch Pro and it was crazy loud as were my friends in our group. Our mics were constantly giving that noise feedback so you could always hear multiple fans going hard in the background. It was super annoying and one of the factors in picking up the One X back in the day. I'm really happy that Sony fixed the issue with the PS5. The new systems are so much better in that regard.

I did 2 and 4 personally and it didn't help long. Eventually the system gave up the ghost during my Death Stranding playthrough when that launched. Had to buy another Pro and after scouring for one of the newer models it was only slightly improved but still made a racket. Once I got my PS5 I boxed that baby up. The quiet is so nice, none of my systems make a noise.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I know man. That's why I'm doing this.

No an old shop that fixes TVs and shit and going to give him a call tomorrow. Hopefully it's fixable.

I'm such a douche
I tried everything, took the whole thing apart, cleaned and repasted the chip nothing mattered, thing still sounded like a jet engine and was an utter ballache to game on

When I had my pro I repasted with liquid metal and put thermal pads on the memory chips. Fan never went past the 2nd level for as long as I owned it.

AlphaMale

I found that if you keep the PS4 in an open area with plenty of breathing room, it runs really quiet (with the occasional fan burst).

Fools idol

Banned
I tore down my first Ps5 to really kinda understand how it worked / looked into upgrading storage and what not myself and better thermal paste.

be careful when dismantling the ps5 is all I can say. The clips are pretty flimsy and in general the components are of average build quality at best. It's very easy to bend and snap things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom