• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody have an Amazon Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Impossible to justify the price when they don't even discount the ebooks. Can't help but think that Amazon don't really want this to go mass-market yet, not as much profit in ebooks maybe?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I just pre-ordered. Reading about the new/improved features, and then looking over at the pile of books next to my bookshelf (out of room) is all it took to sell me on it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What they're doing on stage with Stephen King right now seems pretty embarrassing. He wrote a story for the Kindle about the Kindle...a pink Kindle...

Edit: If Kindle 1 customers preorder by midnight tonight, they'll get prioritized in the preorder queue.

Tim-E

I would love one of these if they were just a little cheaper. :(

kaching said:
What they're doing on stage with Stephen King right now seems pretty embarrassing. He wrote a story for the Kindle about the Kindle...a pink Kindle...

:lol :lol I know. It's titled "UR"

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sounds like a relatively minor upgrade, but it looks like they hit all the big points.

I've been really tempted on this for a while. Believe it or not one of my biggest problems with not reading books is not being able to get comfortable while reading. Especially paperbacks needing to keep the book open to read. No matter how I sit or lay on the bed/couch/chair it is uncomfortable for me to read for long periods of time. My reasoning is that I don't have the same problem with computer, video games, magazines, etc. Wondering if this would change that.. Unfortunately $360 is a pretty steep price for such an experiment.. still, very tempted.

Ghost said:
Impossible to justify the price when they don't even discount the ebooks. Can't help but think that Amazon don't really want this to go mass-market yet, not as much profit in ebooks maybe?

I think they look at in respect to the e-books being a discount compared to the physical copy. I expect in time they will have real discounts.

The price is still intimidating. I know I'd more than make up for with the cheaper prices of purchasing books, the space saved and all the public domain books I would read, but it's just a little too much. I'd seriously consider it at 300. I do expect a drop of 30 dollars or more in a few months. They did a similar thing with the original Kindle.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Well this thread just about convinced me to get a kindle, but when I looked the the books I am reading and just have read, none of then were on kindle. I think I may wait for a bit longer.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
My long form reading habits are definitely a victim of short form but I really like what Amazon is trying to do to reinvigorate long form reading. In my household, it would be my wife that might be most immediately receptive to this because she still reads a ton of long form material. But the problem is, she reads books she gets either from the library or very, very cheap at discount book stores.

So, yeah, the price of this is prohibitive right now. I'd probably get the most use out of it right for technical documentation, if that's well represented. She'd probably love it, if it weren't for how expensive it would make her reading habit all of a sudden.

sikkinixx

looks awesome but... 1) im in Canada, so no wireless goodies 2) the price, $400 after tax, etc? RIGHT 3) No highlighting.

I so badly want one that I can put my school PDF's on, and highlight relevant quotes etc. A laptop isn't quite as handy and the e-ink tech is really easy on the eyes.

Darko

sikkinixx said:
looks awesome but... 1) im in Canada, so no wireless goodies 2) the price, $400 after tax, etc? RIGHT 3) No highlighting.

I so badly want one that I can put my school PDF's on, and highlight relevant quotes etc. A laptop isn't quite as handy and the e-ink tech is really easy on the eyes.

shit, me too... this device neeeds wifi, ability to browse the internet. Then maybe id bite.

Tobor

I'm still a little surprised that price seems to be the big sticking point for a lot of you. $350 for an e-ink display and free EVDO for life seems like a good deal to me. Would you guys prefer Wi-Fi only with a cheaper price?

I was only waiting for a physical redesign, my only complaint about the original was it's ugliness. I'm definitely ordering one now.

sikkinixx

Tobor said:
I'm still a little surprised that price seems to be the big sticking point for a lot of you. $350 for an e-ink display and free EVDO for life seems like a good deal to me. Would you guys prefer Wi-Fi only with a cheaper price?

I was only waiting for a physical redesign, my only complaint about the original was it's ugliness. I'm definitely ordering one now.

don't you pay to convert PDF's etc with the kindle? Wasn't that the big put off for a lot of people? I would use one for that 20x more than reading eBooks.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I love the redesign, Tobor. I like that Amazon has included a lifetime subscription for EVDO since day one.

But overall pricing is still hard to justify relative to cost some of us incur in reading now. My wife isn't suddenly going to start buying books for $10 a pop when she hardly pays anything now. If you purchase a lot of books, this is more easily justifiable.

Personally, I'm going to try to hold my gadget lust at bay and wait to see what Bezos means about "other mobile devices" being included in WhisperNet Sync in the future. Cross fingers for Kindle books on iPhone!

Tobor

kaching said:
I love the redesign, Tobor. I like that Amazon has included a lifetime subscription for EVDO since day one.

But overall pricing is still hard to justify relative to cost some of us incur in reading now. My wife isn't suddenly going to start buying books for $10 a pop when she hardly pays anything now. If you purchase a lot of books, this is more easily justifiable.

Personally, I'm going to try to hold my gadget lust at bay and wait to see what Bezos means about "other mobile devices" being included in WhisperNet Sync in the future. Cross fingers for Kindle books on iPhone!

I've read books on my iPhone using Stanza, and before that on my old Palm Pilot. It's just too small a screen in the end.

My problem is the inverse of you and your wife's. I don't read as much as I used to, and I want to start reading more. I guess for me, knowing I have all the books I'm reading on a Kindle I can just have in my bag at work will encourage me.

The hype machine is really killing me on this, although I can't possibly justify buying one. I know it would make me read more: the amount of time I spend waiting on scheduled downtime just browsing stupid internet junk on my iPhone has me confident that this would let me get proper use out of it, and being able to buy and instantly have a new book whenever I needed would be awesome.

However I can't rationalize having a device that only plays books, when books are already about as convenient as anything in the world could possibly be. It also forces you to give up the option of loaning out books or reselling them. And someday the device will die and unless I buy another one I will lose access to all that library I've been archiving.

I need to think on it, I could still go either way at this point.

Futureman

So what is browsing the web on this thing like? Can you really browse the full internet over EVDO for free for life?

What incentive do people have to pay for the monthly New York Times subscription when you can just browse to their site?

kaching said:

Let's not act like all the book are 10 bucks. The brand new releases are, but that's a good deal compared to the physical copy. You can download tons of free books too, and it's more encouraging to read off the Kindle than the computer, plus it's portable. Just looking at the Kindle store they have a huge Edgar Rice Burroughs collection (with all Tarzan, Barsoom, Jungle adventure - it's 50+ works) for $4.79.

You can also look at the cost of driving to a library (both in gas and time) and figure out if it's worth it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
True, some of the books are less expensive than that, but then some are more expensive than that. The books my wife is pulling out of the library several times a month though would generally fall in the $10 price range, which is why I used that number.

And the library is barely a mile away. Half the time, she walks.

I very much like what Amazon is doing here, but the pricing is still very much early adopter. I think some of you guys are losing sight of that.

Hilbert

If I could get free copies of the books I already own physically I would do it...but I don't see how that is feasable...Trying to find reasons for me to get one, the gadget lover in me wants one, but the book lover in me loves a physical book. Perhaps the most perfect invention ever.

Hilbert

artredis1980 said:
I will only get a kindle if it has more than 90% of the books on amazon. does it?

I looked up some books I have been reading lately. It does not have:
The Exorcist
Freethinkers: The history of American Secularism
Witchcraft and Magic in Europe
The Mismeasure of Man
The Naked Ape

But it did have
His panic

So a bad ratio for me. If you read a lot of big name books your average will probably be better.

Futureman said:
So what is browsing the web on this thing like? Can you really browse the full internet over EVDO for free for life?

What incentive do people have to pay for the monthly New York Times subscription when you can just browse to their site?

From what I've heard, browsing is pretty restricted. They added it for downloading new material to your kindle.

Checking email on your Kindle, for instance, is not very user-friendly, but it can be done.

mr stroke

kaching said:
True, some of the books are less expensive than that, but then some are more expensive than that. The books my wife is pulling out of the library several times a month though would generally fall in the $10 price range, which is why I used that number.

And the library is barely a mile away. Half the time, she walks.

I very much like what Amazon is doing here, but the pricing is still very much early adopter. I think some of you guys are losing sight of that.

+1
With a Library free it makes this hard to justify at that price, but I am sure 5 years from now when they are $100 and color it will become mass market.

also to anyone that has one- is Amazon's service like Steam?(I buy the book and I can re download it any time in the future for life?)

mr stroke said:
also to anyone that has one- is Amazon's service like Steam?(I buy the book and I can re download it any time in the future for life?)

Yes, purchased books are tied to your amazon account and also any notes you make on the kindle are saved to your amazon account in case you lose/break the device.

sarcastor

here's what they need to do to make millions of $$$

1. remove the keyboard
2. remove the internet connectivity (i can just sync to my PC man!)
3. reduce price to $200 or less

2u9iiqc.jpg

(hastily done photoshop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom