• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody knows anything else about Mass Efect PS3 being announced this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:
The game currently will not run unless you are using MS software. It's a MS exclusive. Or is there a Macintosh/Linux version I don't know about.

I hate the term "Microsoft Exclusive". If that's all that mattered to Microsoft, you'd see Alan Wake, Halo 3, Crackdown, etc on PC too.

Cels

shwimpy said:
L4D 1 still receives updates? Good if true, much better than 2.

It hasn't received an update in ages, but the Passing in L4D2 was supposed to be paired with an update for L4D1.

And L4D2 is leagues beyond L4D1 if you play competitive online. The only edge I'd give to L4d1 is the characters who are much more compelling than those of L4d2.

Gorki247

Don't mind if ME 1 or 2 comes to the PS3 (although I have my doubts), but would be annoyed if they were to add additional exclusive content. Way to screw over the original fans that bought your game on 360/PC.

Trying not to get too hyped by this rumor. ME is the one series I've really wanted to play as a PS3-only gamer, and my PC/360 buddies all adored it.

Looks like there really are only a few third-party exclusives left... I hope they all go. This late in the generation, everyone deserves to play games like MGS4, Left 4 Dead, and Mass Effect. Totally disinterested in console war nonsense.

If I'm still enjoying picking up titles like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and Red Faction: Guerrilla, I won't turn my nose up at Mass Effect, especially if they do some engine refinements to the first game, a la the Chronicles of Riddick, which was great fun on PS3.

Depressing thought of the day: we may get trophies in Mass Effect before MGS4.

Arnie

Ravidrath said:
As well as ME2 sold at first, the sales kinda stopped after that - I'm guessing it has only about broken even at this point, once you factor in marketing, etc. Adding another platform helps ensure that the third game doesn't just break even, but obviously PS3 players won't be interested in the third game if they haven't played the first two. ?
You have to also factor in marketing costs for the Collection though, EA can't just dump this port into the market without any exposure, it will be eaten alive. Not to mention the majority of gamers will have probably played it by now. The sort of gamer who only owns a PS3 and not a PC/360 probably isn't the type to spend tons of money on software.

Plus the fact that EA will have to compensate MS if they wish to include ME1 in the collection, costs which may exceed the return they will see from the collection itself.

Lakitu

st5fu
Gorki247 said:
Don't mind if ME 1 or 2 comes to the PS3 (although I have my doubts), but would be annoyed if they were to add additional exclusive content. Way to screw over the original fans that bought your game on 360/PC.

If I were to hazard a guess, it'd go something like this: It'll include the full version of Mass Effect 2 with all DLC (past and upcoming), it'll be released early 2011 and it'll also come out for the 360. PS3 users would most likely get sort of a prelude and sypnosis of ME 1. That's what I think. I'm probably wrong though.

beast786

Arnie said:
Plus the fact that EA will have to compensate MS if they wish to include ME1 in the collection, costs which may exceed the return they will see from the collection itself.

Good points.

But that compensation could already be ME2 Time Exclusive deal.

steinmc

Robinspain said:
During the past weeks, in some Spanish webs (like Meristation or Vandal), there have been floating around some rumours about a special announcement from EA for PS3 coming this week. It seems that a special edition of Mass Effect is coming to the sony console later this year. Anybody knows anything else about it? Thanks!

It is possible, but I don`t think EA will announce Mass Effect for PS3. Instead Sony will announce it during their press conference.

Arnie

beast786 said:
Good points.

But that compensation could already be ME2 Time Exclusive deal.
Didn't think about that, this could well be the case.

But seriously I hope this happens so more people will be on board the franchise before ME3. It really does deserve the sales, I'll reiterate that ME2 was hands down the best game I've played this year.

Jigsaw

Banned
i'm not into pc gaming,dragon age on ps3 was my first bioware game and i loved it,if they port mass effect 1+2 to ps3 i will gladly buy them,if not i will probably never play the series even if me3 is multplatform

Arnie said:
The sort of gamer who only owns a PS3 and not a PC/360 probably isn't the type to spend tons of money on software.

I think there are plenty of hardcore, PS3-only guys. Maybe not enough to make the "ME Collection" a success without marketing, but your generalization struck me as strange stereotyping (rooted in the 'only bought it for blu-ray' meme?).

Are you saying that consumers actively weigh the costs of consoles versus the costs of software, as in "I could buy a 360 for the cost of a few PS3 games"? I think most single-console folks aren't making that kind of calculus. I suspect most of the PS3-only hardcore either "made a choice" at the start of the generation and stuck to it (me), were PS2-only folks who carried over when the system dropped in price, or are new gamers, getting the system as a gift.

For me, it's always been justifying another console to the wife. New games are "new" and go on the shelf where she doesn't look so often. If I wanted a 360, the wife would say, "What's wrong with your Playstation?" and "Aren't they the same thing?" since it'd be another box under the TV. Just having that conversation is a deterrent. Next gen, I'll probably start the "need all three" talk early enough, but part of the "we're getting the expensive PS3" logic was "we won't need the other two," and, honestly, we (I) haven't.

It's also possible EA and Bioware see a ME Collection as a loss-leader for establishing the ME series on the PS3, like 2K and Bioshock. If we're going to have ME3, ME4, and ME40k (ha!) on the PS3/4/5, you have to start somewhere...

FStop7

Banned
Seems like a good way to warm up PS3 owners in advance of next year's (assumed) launch of ME3. Plus the writing's already on the wall that ME is here to stay as a franchise. Tapping into the PS3 market makes nothing but sense.

I just hope this "Genesis" product, if it comes to fruition, is well done and not a buggy, cheesed port.

theBishop

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
After playing Dragon Age on PS3... if true, Mass Effect would run like complete ass on PS3. BioWare are really clueless when it comes to the triple.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but every review I've read said the PS3 version was aces. This is the first I'm hearing about cellfail.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sony's needed a megaton for a while, it just helps boost the image of the system a bit to get one of MS's big games after MS has gotten most of the one time supposed PS3 exclusives. I'm sure some fanboys will tard out but in the end everyone wins. Its not like your 360 version of ME1/2 will disappear at the announcement of a PS3 version.

theBishop said:
Can you elaborate a bit on this? I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but every review I've read said the PS3 version was aces. This is the first I'm hearing about cellfail.
I am not sure if my ps3 is dying or what, but I could _not_ play DA on ps3. There were huge slowdowns in the intro of the game.

Either my BD is dying, or there is an issue with this game and 60g, but it did not run well on my ps3, _at all_, and I am incredibly tolerant of bad game performance.

FStop7

Banned
Zerokku said:
Since when has Mass Effect been an exclusive?

Pretty sure I've been playing the series on my PC for a while now.

It was an Xbox 360 exclusive until shortly after Bioware/Pandemic was acquired by EA. Previously, Bioware people were on the record that it was going to be 360 only and there were no plans to release on PC.

So in a sense, you're both correct. ME -was- an exclusive and was intended to remain one, but the EA buyout changed things fairly early on. But saying it still is exclusive because it's out for Windows only doesn't make sense.

FStop7 said:
It was an Xbox 360 exclusive until shortly after Bioware/Pandemic was acquired by EA. Previously, Bioware people were on the record that it was going to be 360 only and there were no plans to release on PC.

So in a sense, you're both correct. ME -was- an exclusive and was intended to remain one, but the EA buyout changed things fairly early on.

Didn't you see the thread title? EA is obviously going to get around this by calling the PS3 version "Mass Efect".

I'd love to play mass Effect. It's one of the few reasons I wish I had a 360. Now get Dead Rising 1 over here before I break down and buy an arcade unit.

GPsych

harriet the spy said:
I am not sure if my ps3 is dying or what, but I could _not_ play DA on ps3. There were huge slowdowns in the intro of the game.

Either my BD is dying, or there is an issue with this game and 60g, but it did not run well on my ps3, _at all_, and I am incredibly tolerant of bad game performance.

I bet this isn't your PS3. I had the same problem and constant freezing (every 10 to 15 minutes). Several GAFfers thought that my PS3 (60 gig) was dying, but it hasn't had any problems with any other game and I played the game last year. Ultimately, something was wrong with the bluray or Bioware sucks at working with the PS3. It's likely a problem with the disc itself, though (a manufacturing flaw), as there are tons of reports of this problem.

The good news is that my frustration with the freezing and slowdowns lead me to buy the Mac version which is vastly superior to the console game.

Revolver

I'd love to see this happen. ME is one of the 3 reasons I miss owning a 360. The other two being Halo and Gears. If they could port the series over without totally butchering the games I'd buy without hesitation.

BobTheFork said:
I'd love to play mass Effect. It's one of the few reasons I wish I had a 360. Now get Dead Rising 1 over here before I break down and buy an arcade unit.

Capcom doesn't even release that DR2 XBLA game on PS3 just so they don't have to release the first game on PS3, so this won't happen.

I expect the following announcements at GamesCom this week:

- Mass Effect Genesis PS3: MS1&2 with all existing DLC and all future DLC will be PS3 exclusive

- Splinter Cell Trilogy HD on PS3 this winter, followed shortly by the SC Conviction PS3 version. Jason Bourne will be a playable character.

- Left 4 Dead Grindhouse for PS3&Mac: L4D1&2 with Steam Works and cross-platform online gaming with PC.

(I'm obviously joking but actually I expect to see EVERY 360 console-exclusive IP that isn't owned by MS on the PS3 at some point. MS doesn't seem to pay for exclusives for the 360 but just for keeping content away from the PS3 for a certain period of time. Might be a bit shortsighted considering it doesn't occur the other way around)

burgerdog

SolidusDave said:

- Mass Effect Genesis PS3: MS1&2 with all existing DLC and all future DLC will be PS3 exclusive.
Hahahah, oh man. That was too funny. Imagine if it turned out to be true.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In this thread, GAF tries to predict the success of an ME1/2 PS3 port for the average joe based on a number of factors that the average joe probably doesn't care about.

There a lot of gamers that don't frequent GAF on a daily basis or stream game press conferences or rarely if ever read gaming mags or sites. They probably frequent the local gamestop or game dept of BestBuy or Wal-Mart and they're probably familiar with ME. There will be some of those who only own PS3s that would love to play that cool space adventure game their 360 friends have had for a while.

You can't point to the tanking of the PS3 version of Bioshock as an indication of of what ME will do. First, most people who don't follow the industry the way we do probably had no idea about a PS3 version or what the game was about when it came out a year later (to no promotion at all). Second, a shooter in a weird underwater city fighting drugged up mutants probably isn't as appealing to the the average person as being a space commando killing aliens n' shit.

I'm not seeing ME being the flop that Bioshock was. Its not GTA either, but it should do well for itself, especially if EA advertises it. If they are smart, it will be a holiday 2010 release (if feasible) and promote it and the 360 version for the holiday buying spree. It'll move copies.

Hydrargyrus

SolidusDave said:
Capcom doesn't even release that DR2 XBLA game on PS3 just so they don't have to release the first game on PS3, so this won't happen.

- Mass Effect Genesis PS3: MS1&2 with all existing DLC and all future DLC will be PS3 exclusive

- Splinter Cell Trilogy HD on PS3 this winter, followed shortly by the SC Conviction PS3 version. Jason Bourne will be a playable character.

- Left 4 Dead Grindhouse for PS3&Mac: L4D1&2 with Steam Works and cross-platform online gaming with PC.

(I'm obviously joking but actually I expect to see EVERY 360 console-exclusive IP that isn't owned by MS on the PS3 at some point. MS doesn't seem to pay for exclusives for the 360 but just for keeping content away from the PS3 for a certain period of time. Might be a bit shortsighted considering it doesn't occur the other way around)

I don't know, but I'm pretty confident that we will see L4D 3 in PS3 too

SolidusDave said:
I expect to see EVERY 360 console-exclusive IP that isn't owned by MS on the PS3 at some point.

Even Gears? I think Microsoft would rather give a lifetime warranty for the 360 than give up Gears as a cornerstone IP.

And no, people. Before you all chime in, Epic owns the Gears property, not Microsoft.

SolidusDave said:

If you look at sales of the consoles... the strategy seems to be working in their favor. In the US at least. But actually I expect to see EVERY PS3 exclusive developer that isn't owned by Sony to work on the 360 at some point.

Third party exclusives need to die off already. Make a game by your own studios *that you own* and let third party developers make games for everyone.

Jonnyram

SolidusDave said:

You'd think anyone who wants those games would have a 360 already.

Lothars

OldJadedGamer said:
If you look at sales of the consoles... the strategy seems to be working in their favor. In the US at least. But actually I expect to see EVERY PS3 exclusive developer that isn't owned by Sony to work on the 360 at some point.

Third party exclusives need to die off already. Make a game by your own studios *that you own* and let third party developers make games for everyone.

I agree with your second point but your first I think it's just as likely to see all a majority of third party games on the PS3.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ill buy that at a high price. i've never touched any mass effect, so i want to play what ive been missing out on.

Hydrargyrus

Jonnyram said:
You'd think anyone who wants those games would have a 360 already.

I want these games, but I don't have a 360.
I want these games but i don't want them so much like to buy a 360

I'll buy all these games if, finally, are released in PS3

I'd be really happy to see PS3 only owning people join the Mass Effect party with ME1 and 2. Mass Effect deserves more love, but I also hope the existing Mass Effect fans on 360/PC get some love tomorrow with Shadow Broker DLC details. We're due for a release date announcement. Shit, just release the damn thing on the Xbox Marketplace and Bioware's site in the morning (it's gotta be ready, fuck certification).

And now would be a good time to announce that 'something far reaching for Mass Effect' due in early winter 2011. I don't know if that's the PS3 port or something else. If the 'far reaching' thing is just a port that would be disappointing to a current fan. I'm hoping for an expansion to ME2 or a small XBLA/PSN spin off.

I would so buy Mass Effect 1 and 2 for a third time if these PS3 versions have exclusive content. Please don't make me spend more money, Bioware. I have no will power!

I bought ME1 day one for 360, then again for PC, and ME2 day one for PC (collector edition)
Fuck Bioware if there's any exclusive content for the PS3 version. Doing this is totally disrespectful for your original fanbase. New content, sure, exclusive, fuck you.
Anyway, if this port happen I hope they'll outsource it so they'll be entirely focused on ME3.

Seventy5

Suzzopher said:
So this could be Left 4 Dead compilation on PS3 then?
Fuck. Yes. If this is announced, GC is better than E3 this year for me. Christ, I ALMOST tried to run L4D on my netbook just to have a way to play it. Please let this be confirmed.

Flipyap

I can hardly imagine a Mass Effect collection. They're VERY different games. I love the original, but it's a seriously broken game. It would require quite a bit of effort to bring it to "modern" standards (and doing so would be a pretty big "fuck you" to previous owners).
I could see just Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3, but without the first game, you'd get almost no context for the story. It's a really shitty place to start your adventure with the universe.

iratA

I've seen this Mass effect rumour so many times now. Would love this to happen and would be the first to jump on board. Though I just can't get invested in these rumours anymore, had my heart broken too many times. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom