• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody seen or bought the new Xbox 360 at retail?

Deepo

Haven't seen them in stores yet. I believe they may all have been bought already by nuclear sub crewmen.

I like the look of it. It's not gorgeous, but it's also certainly not ugly.

Having been without a 360 for around a year now, I'd buy one of these if they slashed those prices in half.

Alchemy

• Needs to have the transforming d-pad packed in.
  • Needs to be cheaper.
  • Needs to not need a power brick.

Then I would buy one to replace my borked refurb. Just an extremely revision at this point.

ironcreed

Banned
I am actually thinking of getting one next month. I already regret selling off my 360 (again), as I have way too much invested in digital games. The Xbox One can rot in hell, but I still love the 360.

AzBat

It looks like they removed optical audio and redesigned the gigantic old AV output so it probably needs a dongle.

cb7596d8d2ed11e283e32g8onf.jpg

a6f88a22d2ed11e29b8d2q2qh8.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. May I have permission to add your photos to OP with your credit of course?

The Lamp

Bloody hell. Is that the longest a console has ever gone without a price cut in real terms?

No need to drop. People keep buying them, even after their 2nd and 3rd ones break lol.

They removed optical audio? WTF is wrong with them??? I use that to connect to my sound system.

statham

They are going to burn through current XBslims with GCs or Free games and afterwards drop the price on these. I really wished they went for a dvd-less version for $$99-$129

AzBat

Nope, no optical audio, even with an adapter. I confirmed that with Xbox Support's twitter account. You have to connect your TV's audio output to your sound system. Unfortunately, my TV only outputs 2.0 PCM audio this way. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-sound-system

That "headphone jack" is a new 3.5mm composite connector that comes with the new console. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/360-e-console-setup

Thanks for the links! Bummer they took out optical. Good thing I have an optical out from my TV to hook back into my 5.1 receiver.

Could care less about the power brick. I don't under the fascination with wanting an internal power supply. Are you guys always moving your system or something? Mine hasn't moved in over a year since I moved.

BTW, it looks like the Xbox 360 E supports the 360 S internal hard drives too... whew!

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/storage

That answers the majority of my hardware questions. Only thing left is size comparison to older 360 systems & heat/noise. Hopefully somebody will post some videos for the latter

JesseZao

• Needs to have the transforming d-pad packed in.
  • Needs to be cheaper.
  • Needs to not need a power brick.

Then I would buy one to replace my borked refurb. Just an extremely revision at this point.

Indeed. Too late for the brick and driveless :(, but this thing needs the new d-pad and $99 by the time the One comes out.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thinking about getting this (trade in my current 360) so I can save some space for the new consoles.

Any word if this will easily hook in to the Xbox One's HDMI port and given people the functionality to switch back and forth?

B-Dex

FutureShop's description has a blurb about optical out:

More ports: Connect more accessories and storage solutions with added USB ports. Now with a total of 5, (3 back/2 front) you'll find more places to plug and play. Plus, in addition to the standard Ethernet port and HDMI output, we've added an integrated optical audio out port for an easier connection to the booming sound of your A/V receiver.

You know the more shocking thing besides PS4 being 100 dollars less than Xbone is that its only 100 dollars more than 360+Kinect or a PS3 for that matter. Definitely going to be a much easier transition into that. Although I expect a PS3 drop to 200 and a 360 price drop (whats the point of this stupid revision with no price drop anyway?)

4gb? Damn, that surely is going to be future proof. Anyway, I am glad they made this new revision, it means they don't want to drop the support to the 360 any time soon.

Kainazzo

So is the new 3.5mm connector composite only? No native component or RGB?

If so, that's rough. Glad I picked up a Corona model when I did.

Edit: Can't do a size comparison, but since they showed the motherboard:

2005:
motherboard.jpg

2013:
pGemEXkVWqSTNjem.large

AzBat

Here is an unboxing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36WuZ4s4JW0&feature=youtu.be

Why bother with this redesign? If it had a USB3 connection to an external HDD for games like the XO that would at least make sense but there seems to be nothing here that warrants a change from the previous 360S.

Thanks for the video! After seeing that I'm not sure if it's worth going for that over a 360S. The size is smaller but only a little. Maybe a noise comparison will be necessary?

jtb

Banned
what's with Microsoft's new obsession with this half-half look? I don't mind it, but it's a bit odd...

Don't really like the stylings on it personally

Half gloss half matte seems unnecessary

Although I dislike the shape of it more

Reminds me of this

wdfMB_XTRHBA_610x610.jpg

Top Bottom