• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody try the My book or segate expansion external drives?

dave_d

Just curious. Looking to add some external storage to my XBox One and PS5. So I saw these 2 drives

WD Mybook
Seagate

Just curious if anybody has tried either of them out. Of course I'm expecting no where near as fast as a M2 upgrade on the PS5 but wondering if they work reasonably well.

I use a 5TB MyBook for PS5. It’s fantastic. I used it with my PS4 and literally just unplugged the USB from one to the other and everything kept working.

Speeds are exactly what they would be on PS4. Highly recommend.

Harts316

I use a 5TB MyBook for PS5. It’s fantastic. I used it with my PS4 and literally just unplugged the USB from one to the other and everything kept working.

Speeds are exactly what they would be on PS4. Highly recommend.
For the Series X, do you need the over priced memory cards to take advantage of the fast load times? I thought any other external drive would degrade the performance.

mortal

Gold Member
I have an 8TB Seagate STEB6000403. I've had it for about 8 months now with zero issues thus far. Just know that it can be noticeably noisy at times when it's reading/writing data lol.
Quite a solid build quality for what is meant to be a fixture on your desk or stand.This also means it's prone to being a dust magnet if left unattended for too long.

I got mine for about $154 at the time. You'll likely find considerably better deals than that during black Friday/Cyber Monday sales later this month.
At least by then you'll have much more to go off from, while also saving yourself money once you decide make that pruchase.

For the Series X, do you need the over priced memory cards to take advantage of the fast load times? I thought any other external drive would degrade the performance.
Yes, you do. The external cards are expansion SSDs, but I wouldn't bother using them for backlog titles from prior generations. The loading benefit is tangible, but varies from title to title and still isn't so impactful that it's a must-have. I am not entirely clear how that impacts swapping between games.

Many new releases are going to require they be installed on the SSD before you launch the application. You can put them into cold storage on an external HDD, meaning you can keep all the files locally without having to redownload them, if you prefer (which is what I do for certain games), but before you can play the title it will have to be moved to an SSD, whether internal or external.

Fredrik

I’ve had a 3TB WD My Book for 4 years, hasn’t failed even once. Only annoyance is that it spin up frequently when the console is in sleep mode, it’s just a short burst but if you have a silent home you’ll hear it.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Just curious. Looking to add some external storage to my XBox One and PS5. So I saw these 2 drives

WD Mybook
Seagate

Just curious if anybody has tried either of them out. Of course I'm expecting no where near as fast as a M2 upgrade on the PS5 but wondering if they work reasonably well.
A buddy of mine showed me his WD Mybook when I was looking at upgrading my Xbox One space. The need to have it plugged into power was not possible for my setup. I bought 2 regular external drives for a bit more cost, but they do not require any extra power source.
If that’s not a deal breaker for you, my buddy loves his WD Mybook.

Last edited:
I have a seagate 2tb hdd drive with my ps5 for ps4 games. Still loads faster, or at least no slower than the ps4 pro with internal ssd. Must be because of ps5 cpu speed.

Want to get an external ssd for it but prices are a bit too high still.

Top Bottom