• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone a bit cynical that next gen 60fps really means 'unlocked frame rate that hits 60fps'?

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm playing through Dark Souls 3 (again) now on the Pro that got a patch to take it from stable 30fps to unlocked. It does hit 60 or thereabouts a lot of the time, but the drops are huge and horrible and fairly frequent. Especially after having had the buttery smooth 60fps on PC.

Got to Road of Sacrifice and Crucifixion Woods and the frame rate literally tanks so you cant even move the camera without juddering all over the place. Honestly if thats what next gen is I'd rather stick with the cinematic and stable 30fps mode. Whats worse is when it gets called 'performance mode' as well. Favour resolution or favour frame rate is fair enough descriptions.

Ideally we'll get a choice in most games. But Im a bit cynical that we will just get an unlocked frame rate that huts 60fps some of the time to get that marketing tickbox.

martino

i mean...it's console™ resolution and framerate are PR spins there for generations
but this time people with hdmi 2.1 will enjoy that at its best.

GetemMa

I'm hoping 60fps mode is common across the board.

I wouldn't be surprised by this. Simply turning off Ray Tracing might get a lot of games to 60fps and IMO if a game has decent conventional lighting Ray Tracing is something many people can easily live without.

Depends on the developer. Some might not want you to turn of RT in favor of the old way and some developers won't be as good at implementing it so they may give you that choice to switch it off/on.

I would take performance over Ray Tracing any day if I had to make that choice.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Hopefully more devs do what MS first party do and make it variable resolution to maintain 60fps. Games like gears and halo very *very* rarely had framerate drops, and when they did they were for a split second. Means that as hardware gets better the games automatically perform better too.

Birdo

Banned
I'll be playing in 1080p and I don't want to see a single game running at less than 60fps. It will be inexcusable at that resolution.

geordiemp

I'm playing through Dark Souls 3 (again) now on the Pro that got a patch to take it from stable 30fps to unlocked. It does hit 60 or thereabouts a lot of the time, but the drops are huge and horrible and fairly frequent. Especially after having had the buttery smooth 60fps on PC.

Got to Road of Sacrifice and Crucifixion Woods and the frame rate literally tanks so you cant even move the camera without juddering all over the place. Honestly if thats what next gen is I'd rather stick with the cinematic and stable 30fps mode. Whats worse is when it gets called 'performance mode' as well. Favour resolution or favour frame rate is fair enough descriptions.

Ideally we'll get a choice in most games. But Im a bit cynical that we will just get an unlocked frame rate that huts 60fps some of the time to get that marketing tickbox.

No, its not been that way for a while now, dynamic resolution happened.

jigglet

Banned
Yes I'm cynical about that. But I'm less cynical about that then render scaling.

I doubt most games will be true 4k this gen, most will use render scaling. That's where I think most of the lies will come from when they tout "real 4k".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless a gamer is the most inflexible person who takes things literally, pretty sure most of us who see "60 fps" assume it will be that frame rate the vast majority of the time.

From there it depends on the gamer. If a game runs at 60 fps 99% of the time, and the dips go to 56 fps, is that close enough? Or is that an outright lie?

I'm hoping you guys know that when you buy stuff at the store, it's not always the same weight of product. So if a box of chicken says 1 KG, it might be more or less depending how the shake out of pieces are where it one box might be 960 grams and another 1,060 grams.

Portugeezer

Many will be, just like BF4 60fps hype bullshit. Game is mostly 45fps during action.

That is simply too low to be called 60fps; would rather have a 30fps cap.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Not really cynical. It is what it is.If you expect all games to run at 60fps you must not have paid attention to the past 30 years of gaming.

When people make games I would rather them the free ability to cheat on the FPS if they get to do what they want. 60 can be a target but I’m not going to care if they go below, especially if it’s in service of hardware pushing graphics.

theclaw135

Banned
Not really cynical. It is what it is.If you expect all games to run at 60fps you must not have paid attention to the past 30 years of gaming.

When people make games I would rather them the free ability to cheat on the FPS if they get to do what they want. 60 can be a target but I’m not going to care if they go below, especially if it’s in service of hardware pushing graphics.

Console makers let too many problems slide. Ironclad technical certification requirements prohibiting any less than 60fps are the future.

Kagey K

Banned
I am hoping that it will be a locked 60 fps for non-HDMI 2.1 TVs, and it will be unlocked for HDMI 2.1 TVs.
I’m hoping there’s an auto detect or setting that knows if your tv is capable and takes advantage of it when possible. (Similar to how HDR is automatically enabled/disabled this gen) I‘ll take the higher res with the fluctuating framerate I will never see every time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m hoping there’s an auto detect or setting that knows if your tv is capable and takes advantage of it when possible. (Similar to how HDR is automatically enabled/disabled this gen) I‘ll take the higher res with the fluctuating framerate I will never see every time.
There will be. There is in the setting on the One X

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s been so long since I set up the 1 X to my C9 I actually forgot about it until you reminded me. 😅
I mean I suppose it's possible they could leave it off the X, but I suspect (and am hoping) that for games that are normally locked at 60 fps, they will be simply unlocked on HDMI 2.1

Kagey K

Banned
I mean I suppose it's possible they could leave it off the X, but I suspect (and am hoping) that for games that are normally locked at 60 fps, they will be simply unlocked on HDMI 2.1
I remember after getting my C9 the 1st game I played was Shadow of the Tomb Raider because of how good the HDR was and how bad the tearing supposedly was and I came out impressed with how well it worked. Didn’t notice a tear or stutter the entire game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not worried. As long as games don't run at 61 FPS I'll be happy. You can't divide 61 by anything. It's as bad as 37.

base

Banned
Just let us choose. 4k30 (if 60fps is not achievable) or 1440p60fps and we're good. Everyone's happy.

D.Final

Banned

It isn't a good thing?

100% my expectation as well.

60fps (locked) won't be standard until the majority of people want it. This isn't happening anytime soon, as most people who play games simply don't care about how a games performance can impact the way a game feels and plays.

Romulus

I think it'll be improved over current gen. More 60fps games in general with closer to target. I mean look at the ps4 compared to ps3/360. Most everything was sub 30s last gen. I think it'll be another incremental increase overall.

Last edited:
Many will be, just like BF4 60fps hype bullshit. Game is mostly 45fps during action.

That is simply too low to be called 60fps; would rather have a 30fps cap.
I had to check the digital foundry video for that and, as I suspected, you’re grossly exaggerating. The game hits 60fps most of the time. They did show 1 sequence when the framerate drops to around 56-58 but that was a big set piece with lots of destruction.

Arun1910

Possibly. One of the Insomniac devs on Twitter replied to someone asking about the 60fps mode and to paraphrase he said something along the lines of "Remember how locked our 30fps was? Trust us".

To be honest, I have no reason to doubt Insomniac's 60fps mode. The really did deliver with Spider-Man PS4 so I'm looking forward to the upgrades.

Portugeezer

I had to check the digital foundry video for that and, as I suspected, you’re grossly exaggerating. The game hits 60fps most of the time. They did show 1 sequence when the framerate drops to around 56-58 but that was a big set piece with lots of destruction.
Multiplayer?

These games will not be CPU bound. You can easily target 30 or 60 depending on the resolution and there should not be dips if the games are programmed correctly.

Gandih42

More than any leaps in graphical fidelity I am honestly just excited for console games getting closer to stable 60 FPS.

Spider-Man and Demon's Souls looked real smooth to me from the "captured on PS5 hardware" trailers, which I thought was the most exciting part. But I'm waiting to see reactions from people with their new consoles before I believe it.

HoodWinked

Cpu bottlenecks seemed to be a big reason why framerates were held back. Xbox one X showed this even with it's GPU headroom would typically match ps4 pro performance. Zen3 is so much more capable it's practically a 2 console generational leap on the cpu front. They already demonstrated 120 fps on not xbox series X but on the Series S.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Honestly 1440p60 isn’t going to upset anyone if it comes with the graphical fidelity of a game running at 4k30.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Honestly 1440p60 isn’t going to upset anyone if it comes with the graphical fidelity of a game running at 4k30.
This. 1440p may not be quite as crystal clear as 4k, but it's a really damn nice looking resolution, and between 4k 30 and 1440p 60 I can't imagine why anyone would choose the former. They don't look miles apart, but the improved motion clarity and response time from 30 to 60 feels extremely apparent in contrast. I think we'll get plenty of 4k 60 titles next gen, but the more visually complex titles may opt for a performance mode of sorts that essentially boils down to 1440/60 or maybe even 1080/120, and honestly that's more than fine.

Skifi28

All those unlocked fps games of this gen will probably be much closer to actual 60 on the new machines. Biggest issue with 60fps has been the jaguar CPUs, most games next gen should be able to do a pretty consistent 60 if the developers choose so.

Top Bottom