• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone besides me feel like Captain America: Civil War is overrated and exploitative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tl;dr at the bottom

Yesterday I watched it, courtesy of Netflix. Captain America: Civil War is supposed to be Captain America 3. The title of the movie is Captain America, the subtitle is Civil War. What I have been saying since long before the film ever came out, that they're exploiting captain america's 3rd solo film slate as civil war because they knew it'd do Avengers numbers if they did so, and they banked on it; RDJ was paid $40m for this movie because they thought if it outdid cap2, it'd be because of him.

People keep saying that no, Cap is the main character, this is Cap 3, this is a solo Cap film, not an Avengers film, not an ensemble film, not a crossover but I can't buy any of that. That's not how this film was marketed.

How can you possibly get the majority of the audience to feel like this is supposed to be a solo Captain America movie, when the entire time the film was marketed as "Whose side are you on? hashtag team Iron Man or hashtag team Cap?" - they wouldn't have done that if this film was supposed to be perceived as a Cap film first and foremost. In fact, Tony Stark is practically the second most important character in this movie. With just a few tweaks, this movie could've had an alternate and appropriate title, Iron Man: Civil War.

I've said that line to other people, casual moviegoers at least and they've agreed. Because of how the MCU is structured, it's difficult to even watch solo films as standalone. There's enough that happens between cap 1 and 2 and 3, that watching them back to back might not come off as fully cohesive. One could argue, that you're not supposed to watch them back to back like that, but a counterargument would then be that it disqualifies the superhero trilogy as one of the best, because of that. I don't really have an opinion on that, other than saying that its hard to consider a standalone trilogy.

When I say Avengers numbers, I mean billions of dollars. Imo, IM3 did Avengers numbers. Phase 1 overall was perpetuated by Iron Man, he was the only major character to get 2 films, the only titular character of that film series that didn't get a stupid "Iron Man will return" message at the end (maybe TIH didn't do that, Cap1 may not have but its after credits scene was nothing more than a teaser for Av1), and I think considering all that, because it was the first film after Av1, audiences were thrilled to see what happened next. Would've been interesting to see if Thor 2 or cap2 came first before IM3.

And that's what cap3 did as well. Avengers numbers. Not as high as I expected but either way, it does not in any way feel like a "solo" captain America movie. This is further supported by a really really old rumor, about how Avengers 2 was supposed to be the Infinity War, and Avengers 3 was supposed to be Civil War. It's a really old rumor and I don't have many sources to support it, the only ones I did find:

http://www.redcarpetnewstv.com/avengers-3-might-be-civil-war-movie/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Tp08q5Qhg

It's a really old rumor but it makes sense to me, and I think Spiderman has something to do with it. This blessed deal that we got 2 years ago announcing Spiderman in the MCU, of course Disney was trying to get Sony to agree to it for years, perhaps at that time they weren't able to do it so they had to shift their plan around, and decided to make Av2 the filler "Age of Ultron" instead - yes, I said filler, because that's exactly how I felt about it.

And instead of having the civil war be an official Avengers installment like it always should have been, the slate was put on the "solo" Captain America 3. And it comes before the Infinity War.

I find it overrated, because of how low key this whole "civil war" was. Papa Doc even says to cap during the movie "this isn't the real fight." The "civil war" of this movie was a distraction from what cap was really after this whole time, but the writers wrote conveniently enough to have Tony not listen to Steve and show up there late, alone, and then learn the truth about Bucky and get angry about it all. There really was just one battle of this whole war, which was the airport scene, so it is hardly a war at all.

Now, it is disappointing that the MCU is doing this kind of stuff among other things, but I'm not saying cap3 was a bad movie; it was just disappointing. To compare it to the other major versus-crossover film this year, bvs, both of these films were disappointing, but that film was bad. I could at least enjoy cap3.

tl;dr

Captain America 3 shouldn't have been about the Civil War. If they were continuing the winter soldier storyline, then the entire movie should've focused on that, instead of having Crossbones as such a wasted character. He could've been around with Baron Zemo till the end of the film where cap has his tossup and Bones gets to have an actual vengeful battle instead of that sorry-ass send-away scene at the beginning of the film. I get why they did that... to have Scarlet Witch try to save people but start a conflict; but that happened because the writers made it so.

Captain America 3 does not feel like a solo captain america movie. It feels like Disney exploiting the 3rd solo cap film slate as an Avengers storyline because Disney knew it would do Avengers numbers if they did that, and it did; and they even banked on it. Just Tony Stark's presence alone was supposed to guarantee a billion dollars in the box office.

Now, for those of you who loved it, enjoyed the shit out of it, more power to you...you got what you wanted. However, I have often noticed on GAF and elsewhere on the net that if someone tries to come up with an unpopular opinion, they're always told about how wrong they are to have it. But I have to say my piece.

What do you think?

Ishida

Banned
Honestly I thought it was pretty boring. The fight at the airport was cool, but the only time actually felt excited was when Ant Man pulls the growing shenanigans. Spider Man felt... Eh...

Also the final fight between Cap and Tony was cool. But the rest of the movie? I found it to be pretty forgettable.

But that's just me.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Phase 2: "Why don't any of the other Avengers show up in these movies?"

Phase 3: "Why are all these Avengers in this movie?!"

sohois

I thought it was dreadfully mediocre, but not really for the reasons you mention. Just felt like they cane up with the idea for a big airport fight between all the heroes and then filled in the parts around that with fluff.

Spiderman was shit too. I'd even take Garfields portrayal over that.

I really enjoyed it, though I do a bit agree with you that a lot of the film feels borderline a full on team up film over a real stand alone Cap story. That's why I actually hope they do one more mostly solo Cap flick before Evans retires from the role. I'd like to get one more film from him more in the vein of Winter Soldier.

If he survives Infinity War give him a one last hurrah in Phase 4.

platakul

Banned
Infinity war wouldn't have worked for avengers 2. Not enough players introduced yet. Granted Ultron just could have been a better movie

Phase 2: "Why don't any of the other Avengers show up in these movies?"

Phase 3: "Why are all these Avengers in this movie?!"

Yep Civil War is just the culmination of what we've been lead to expect so far from the MCU. Movies where other heroes can be the supporting cast for the main character. We got that in Civil War finally and we'll get it again in Thor 3 The Darker World.

Yes most of the other Avengers are in the movie but its mostly only for action and following up on plot threads introduced in Winter Soldier.

Sanjuro

Spiderman was shit too. I'd even take Garfields portrayal over that.

BBSfCyo.gif

shira

Disney/Marvel has a formula: Make the most people happy for maximum profit.

While I don't agree with their choices, I understand.
It's not overrated, it's just liked by a lot of people by design.

This was also the testbed for the Avengers 3/4 movies.

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Personally, I loved the film. My only complaint was that Steve should have gotten his ass handed to him by T' Chala, Spidey and Tony. However, I understand that it was his movie and that there had to be a movie, so they couldn't make Cap lost. Maybe he could have been wrecked by Tony in the end, though.

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Personally, I loved the film. My only complaint was that Steve should have gotten his ass handed to him by T' Chala, Spidey and Tony. However, I understand that it was his movie and that there had to be a movie, so they couldn't make Cap lost. Maybe he could have been wrecked by Tony in the end, though.

Eh I don't know about that, at least in the MCU. Maybe Spidey could have bested him an Iron Man but they sort of show that by having it take both Cap and Bucky to take him down. I don't think T' Chala is supposed to he more powerful than him. Cap in the MCU is a beast fighter.

Spidey would be the one where yeah he could probably easily beat Cap

Blader

When I think of exploitative movies, I do not think of Disney leveraging one brand to financially boost another, similar brand.

I don't think it really matters whether it's a "solo Captain America movie" or a "crossover" or "Avengers Lite" or whatever.
Nope.

It's a comic book movie.

Comic books do this all the time. All the time. Always. It's how a bunch of comic book characters got started. Wolverine, Punisher.

Slayven

Eh I don't know about that, at least in the MCU. Maybe Spidey could have bested him an Iron Man but they sort of show that by having it take both Cap and Bucky to take him down. I don't think T' Chala is supposed to he more powerful than him. Cap in the MCU is a beast fighter.

Spidey would be the one where yeah he could probably easily beat Cap
BP vs Cap could go either way. But the winner will be hurting

firelogic

I take issue with the title of "Civil War" because,
1. it wasn't much of a war. It was more a skirmish. 2. what kind of war involves around 12 people?. 3. the "war" is basically over by the end of the movie. At least that's what I got out of it with Cap sending Stark the pen and Stark ignoring the call to go catch Cap. Plus it took 1.5hrs to get to the 5mins fight.

Overrated, definitely yes. Still entertaining to watch, yes. Airport scene was my least favorite part in the movie. The jokes and quips brought down the seriousness of that scene, but then you have all the rampant destruction. I wouldn't have thought some of those people would have been doing some of that stuff.

Slayven

I'm just glad these opinions have no bearing on how the MCU is going. Holland is the definitive portrayal of Spidey with ten minutes of screen time.

That there were people calling for Maguire to be recast is nothing short of baffling to me.
I thought the Maguire stanning was a meme or joke, people can't be serious.

I think you can be ok with a team up film and still want to have a smaller more focused Cap flick. The two aren't mutually exclusive. If Marvel wants to they could easily make the next Cap flick more of a Winter Soldier type feel and it would do plenty great on the box office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom