• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone besides me feel like Captain America: Civil War is overrated and exploitative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping it doesn't help.
I was just looking at my recent posts, and there was an orange circle next to all the ones from this thread.
There are three movies you can invoke on GAF that guarantee at least 10 pages lol. ESPECIALLY if it's against popular opinion. Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, and CA: Civil War.
I'm surprised you didn't say Thor 2. Whatever running gag Gaf's got for this movie I thought it'd be one of the 3.

After rewatching this, I'm definitely still Team Stark. Don't know how you could be anything else, even considering the misinformation. Captain America's argument is way too arrogant. It enforces his opinion over those of billions speaking via their nations representatives. Makes him the arbiter of "right" and I just can't get with that I guess. His approach only breeds more Zemo's ultimately.

There are two kinds of people who come out of Civil War: Those who are on Team Cap, and those people who somehow skipped Incredible Hulk and are therefore on Team Stark.

Nail

Civil War was very disappointing to me. Especially after Winter Soldier which was in the running with TDK for an all time great comic book movie. The plot was just far too dumb to me to accept the nonsense on screen.

Maybe it's because I've never read a comic book in my life. Because it seems like the people who love civil war the most are hardcore comic book fans. And a lot of comic books seem to be littered with crossovers and x vs y. Like, I kind of don't give a shit who wins cap vs iron man. Especially since they didn't justify it happening in my mind.

Civil War was very disappointing to me. Especially after Winter Soldier which was in the running with TDK for an all time great comic book movie. The plot was just far too dumb to me to accept the nonsense on screen.

Maybe it's because I've never read a comic book in my life. Because it seems like the people who love civil war the most are hardcore comic book fans. And a lot of comic books seem to be littered with crossovers and x vs y. Like, I kind of don't give a shit who wins cap vs iron man. Especially since they didn't justify it happening in my mind.

The movie did nearly 1.2 billion and is 90% fresh.

You think all of those are "hardcore comic fans?" Marvel really, really wishes that was the case.

So Steve getting tired of Tony fucking shit up then blaming the whole team for it, Thunderbolt Ross trying to worm his way into government control of superheroes not unlike he did with the Edward Norton Hulk film, someone digging up Hydra's dark secrets to torment Steve and Bucky and further drive a wedge between Tony and Steve, and an isolationist country stepping onto the world stage only to have their king murdered and his son out for revenge, didn't justify the final showdown happening?

Nail

The movie did nearly 1.2 billion and is 90% fresh.

You think all of those are "hardcore comic fans?" Marvel really, really wishes that was the case.

All "Fresh" means is 70% or higher. So 90% of critics gave it at least a 70. Metacritic average is 75. Excuse the fuck out me if I also wasn't blown the fuck away.

And to the other guy, I didn't care sorry and I wasn't alone. I didn't watch all of the Marvel movies because there's too many to follow. So the faxt that they are so interconnected makes it harder for me to get super involved

Ferulci

While I like Civil War (which by all account is a solid movie), I'm constantly amazed by the hyperbole used by some posters in order to make it look like CW/Winter Soldier/Avengers are the best thing since sliced bread. Best action movie of the decade ? Better than Fury Road ? best superhero movie ever ? In Marvel/DC discussions, it seems like a movie is either pure crap or transcendental .

I wasn't a fan, after the hype I feel the movie was a huge let down. I wasn't the biggest fan of Winter Soldier either and I was so looking forward to that one. My fav Captain America movie is TFA.

PsychBat!

Banned
All "Fresh" means is 70% or higher. So 90% of critics gave it at least a 70. Metacritic average is 75. Excuse the fuck out me if I also wasn't blown the fuck away.

And to the other guy, I didn't care sorry and I wasn't alone. I didn't watch all of the Marvel movies because there's too many to follow. So the faxt that they are so interconnected makes it harder for me to get super involved
so bucky killing tony's parents isn't justifiable enough for a fight?

Movies usually aren't graded like your high school term paper. Most are either on a five star scale or thumbs up/down.

90% of critics ranking that movie as "worth watching" whatever the number is most certainly significant and SUBSTANTIALLY higher than the vast majority of similar films in the genre.

On top of that, you admit you don't watch these movies, so what...you came into Captain America 3 blind or damned near close to it, then piss and moan that the movie "didn't blow you away" when you missed the setup from previous films.

The problem isn't the movie Chief. The problem is you. You sound like the kind of genius that rolls into Harry Potter 7, seeing nothing else and dismisses the movie as "too confusing."

Don't want to invest the time into watching movies? Don't go see franchise films.

Cuburt

They set up Bucky killing Tony's parents in Winter Soldier. They can't just leave a detail like that on the table. What better place to address it than the sequel to Winter Soldier?

People have been also wanting to see the culmination of the ideological friction between Cap and Stark since Avengers and through Age of Ultron. In fact, as soon as Civil War was announced, it seemed to over shadow AoU among fans of the MCU since it was more relevant in the bigger storyline than AoU was to even the Avengers trilogy/Infinity War saga.

Also, in a broader pop culture sense, fans get hyperfocused on the cynical marketing aspects of films, but I think the popularity of superheroes and the clashing of heroes specially in 2016 (Bvs, Civil War, Apocalypse) isn't a coincidence. The political divisions make ideological divisions in fiction even more relevant.

I do wish they gave Cap an extra story beat or two at the end to bring a satisfying conclusion to his arc with some of his supporting cast (Bucky, Sam, Sharon, Fury, Peggy) rather than focusing all the conclusion of the film on closure with Tony. It really needed a montage in the vein of IM3 or TWS instead of just the "Cap breaking out the Avengers out of prison" montage that we got.

Nail

Movies usually aren't graded like your high school term paper. Most are either on a five star scale or thumbs up/down.

90% of critics ranking that movie as "worth watching" whatever the number is most certainly significant and SUBSTANTIALLY higher than the vast majority of similar films in the genre.

On top of that, you admit you don't watch these movies, so what...you came into Captain America 3 blind or damned near close to it, then piss and moan that the movie "didn't blow you away" when you missed the setup from previous films.

The problem isn't the movie Chief. The problem is you. You sound like the kind of genius that rolls into Harry Potter 7, seeing nothing else and dismisses the movie as "too confusing."

Don't want to invest the time into watching movies? Don't go see franchise films.

People like to use the loose system of rotten tomatoes to make movies rate higher than they actually are. Fact is that 90 sounds much better than 75. I watched a lot of Marvel movies, not all. Liked a lot of them even. I did not watch AoU because I heard it wasn't that great. I didn't watch the hulk movie cuz I don't give a shit about the hulk. I watched Winter Soldier and liked it the best by far. I watched Civil War based on the Russo Brothers and because a lot of people were losing their shit about it. I didn't Hate it. I was very disappointed. These movies keep adding more and more characters to each movie. IMO these movies are going to collapse from the weight of all the lore they keep packing in.

So I think I'm done with these ensemble movies. I really don't watch that many movies nowadays and these movies require more and more to keep up with.

the only bullshit thing in Civil War is that the UN didn't let the Avengers involved in making the detail of The Accord, suddenly Ross just come with this thick book and told Avengers to accept it or go retire.

Tony Stark may know about it in advance, but he felt so guilty about Ultron that he said himself he'll accept whatever it takes to reign them in. he's just as biased as Steve with Bucky.

if the whole team is invited in the process of making the accord, things would have go much more smoothly with input from the Avengers themselves. even Cap won't object against that.

Renekton

The Zola scene. Pay close attention to images that go along with Zola's monologue. Shots of Winter Soldier paired with news clips of Howard Stark's death.
They are not directly paired, and are different subcontexts imho.

I think they had that in mind, but left it just open-ended enough to not paint future movies into a corner.

The Kree

Banned
They are not directly paired, and are different subcontexts imho.

I think they had that in mind, but left it just open-ended enough to not paint future movies into a corner.

You're right, the whole scene though is about how HYDRA had a hand in a bunch of significant historical events, Howard Stark's death included. The connection is easy enough to make given that Bucky is the subject of the movie.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've never seen any of the Amazing Spiderman movies. Is Garfield a shitty Spiderman?

He was a good Spider-Man, but a shitty Peter Parker. I blame the bulk of that on the writers completely throwing in the towel when it came to making Peter a consistent, likable character. He was all over the place. Not a well written Peter at all. His Spidey was solid. I'm not the biggest Garfield fan, but I think his talents were wasted with the ASM movies. Actually, everybody's time was wasted with the ASM films. They aren't trainwrecks, but I personally think they're worse than the Raimi movies. Yes, even Spider-Man 3.

Thankfully, Tom Holland seems to have aced both Pete and Spidey so far. I'm really hoping Homecoming has a good script and execution. Spidey is one of my favorite superheroes of all time, and I just want to see a really well executed portrayal of him.

Takyon

I really dislike how the filmmakers relegated Steve and Bucky's final scene together to after the credits. Bucky going into the ice is a parallel to Steve's sacrifice in the first movie, the difference being that the danger that Bucky must neutralize is, tragically, himself. In my mind, that selfless action indicates some serious growth for Bucky's character and also implies that the he will finally be ready to be a "good guy" when they wake him up again.
The filmmakers seemed more interested in setting up Black Panther, which is disappointing.

So I finally watched it last night for the first time since the theatre. For a second viewing it actually holds up better than any other Marvel film outside of GotG.

saunderez

I saw it for the first time and despite the fact I think it should've just been called Avengers: Civil War I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Captain America: Civil War was more like Captain America: Sorry about Avengers 2

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It had a huge ensemble, but still felt like the Cap was the main character. I honestly didn't feel like that was the case with Avengers 1 or 2.

I really dislike how the filmmakers relegated Steve and Bucky's final scene together to after the credits. Bucky going into the ice is another parallel to Steve's sacrifice in the first movie, except the danger that Bucky must neutralize is, tragically, himself. In my mind, that selfless action indicates some serious growth for Bucky's character and all implies that the he will finally be ready to be a "good guy" when they wake him up again.
The filmmakers seemed more interested in setting up Black Panther, which is disappointing.
I hate the post credits trend. Hate it.

Not really other than the fact that someone tossed it in as a joke poll answer in a thread and people kept doing it afterwards. Maybe someone else here can find the first instance or explain further.
so it all started as a toss in for a poll on another thread? it's been on every goddamn poll since...but like, what was the point of the joke in the first place? ugh

Litan

so it all started as a toss in for a poll on another thread? it's been on every goddamn poll since...but like, what was the point of the joke in the first place? ugh
It's because posters in the BvS/SS review threads kept going, "But what about Thor 2?" in reponse to those movies getting thrashed by critics. The meme developed from there and grew into the monster it is today.

It's because posters in the BvS/SS review threads kept going, "But what about Thor 2?" in reponse to those movies getting thrashed by critics. The meme developed from there and grew into the monster it is today.
really...that's how this dumb thing started. i wonder how much it will change once thor 3 comes out this year

Phase 2: "Why don't any of the other Avengers show up in these movies?"

Phase 3: "Why are all these Avengers in this movie?!"
there's been only 2 movies so far in the MCU, one of which we know that feature major characters other than the main and another two that have yet to debut (cap3 and homecoming and thor 3), but cap3 was based on a story that was a massive crossover story instead of centrally a cap story, as far as i understand it

TheFlow

Banned
there's been only 2 movies so far in the MCU, one of which we know that feature major characters other than the main and another two that have yet to debut (cap3 and homecoming and thor 3), but cap3 was based on a story that was a massive crossover story instead of centrally a cap story, as far as i understand it
Cap 3 is a direct sequel to the unresolved plots in .2. It might not feel like a true sequel but that is life.

In real life, you have to tilt team Stark even as sorry as the state of many countries are. We've yet to see benevolent dictatorship in real life, so compromise is the only answer.

Within the context of the MCU? Hydra infiltrating SHIELD fucks all that up. Let em operate #TeamCap all day. Literally the wild wild west and Captain America is about as benevolent a person as you're gonna get, as are the rest of the Avengers minus Tony "Hot Mess" Stark.

Also, I'm all in on these flicks but that's not to say all of them are enjoyable. I'd argue even fewer are actively bad, though.

Civil War is not in either of those categories. It's a pretty solid crowd pleaser and towards the high end of the MCU -- a by-and-large quality action movie house. Speaking broadly, Winter Soldier and GotG are still the tops, and Captain America is definitely one of the most enjoyable trilogies of anything out there.

Cap 3 is a direct sequel to the unresolved plots in .2. It might not feel like a true sequel but that is life.
it's not just a sequel to the unresolved plots of cap2. it's also a sequel to the unresolved plots avengers, and iron man's character arc. it's much more than just cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom