• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone besides me feel like Captain America: Civil War is overrated and exploitative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
"Why are we introducing Spider-Man in a movie named Captain America: Civil War?" is a question that SOMEONE at Marvel should have asked.

The MCU in general is becoming increasing overstuffed with every new entry, I liked that in Phase 2, each movie was specifically about the Marvel superhero in the title. We're now at the point where every film is basically an Avengers film, where everybody appears anyways for no apparent reason. I forgive Civil War to some extent because the original source material was a huge crossover event but really, when you're introducing new and unrelated characters like Spider-Man in what is supposed to be the concluding film of an overall trilogy and arc concerning Captain America you should be stepping back and asking, "Why are we doing this again?"

So first people wanna complain when there are no other heroes in these movies, but now they do it people also wanna complain? Aight. You can miss me with that shit.

Honestly I thought it was pretty boring. The fight at the airport was cool, but the only time actually felt excited was when Ant Man pulls the growing shenanigans. Spider Man felt... Eh...

Also the final fight between Cap and Tony was cool. But the rest of the movie? I found it to be pretty forgettable.

But that's just me.

Agree with you.

On repeat viewings i've found there's really a lot of slow moments that kill the pace of the whole movie.

Jumeira

Banned
Zemo was the most effective villain yet, he actually saw his plan through. I really liked what they did with his character.
Couldn't give two shits (no offense), it's so poorly laid out, that how it all comes to be is meaningless. TBH, I feel MCU films are trying to be far too grand then the material lends itself to be. Iron Man was good because it was contained and didn't take itself seriously imo (even with end credits), this interlinking universe shite is getting out of hand.

i saw it in theaters and remember almost nothing about it.

Yep. But my friends are easily swayed by hype, even tried to get me into Agents of Shield which was just as forgettable. Will probably miss the next, had no energy to watch Dr Strange.

LionPride

Banned
Zemo was the most effective villain yet, he actually saw his plan through. I really liked what they did with his character.

No but he's a bad villain because he didn't actually do anything!

Even though he fractured the Avengers more than the Accords could have and actually finishes his plan by having Tony and Steve fight each other and stays alive because the best character in the MCU keeps him alive.

And I get that, I just think your vision of what a Civil War film should have been is not feasible.

right now it definitely would not have been, and you're right that the scale may just never have been matched on the big screen, but given a few more additions to the roster, maybe could have been something more epic

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I didn't like Bucky's arm. I was willing to let it slid when Steve deflected all those shots from the minigun in Winter Soldier, but Bucky being to block every bullet coming his way with his arm was too much!

I had a great moment of catharsis when Tony blasted that thing off. So awesome, I had to watch it multiple times.

theWB27

right now it definitely would not have been, and you're right that the scale may just never have been matched on the big screen, but given a few more additions to the roster, maybe could have been something more epic

That epic moment is going to be the thanos fight.

spelen

I swear if my opinions were shaped by GAF I'd believe every tv show, every movie, and religion was evil and bad.

onipex

It is overrated. It is boring.

I had quite a few beefs with CW, but one of the two major ones was that the whole infighting thing would have probably been a lot more meaningful if we didn't have two Marvel movies with most of the same crew (Avengers 1 and 2 for those of you playing at home) that did the exact same thing.

Also this!

Cipherr

Nah, shit was hype

This. My favorite movie of the year edging out Zootopia.

Cap 3 is definitely still a cap movie, and its better than both of the Avengers movies IMO although I have to admit it benefits from them. But that's the point of the connected MCU. The "argument" (if you want to call it that) about whether or not its a trilogy is a pointless one, because to everyone and everything that matters in the industry its absolutely a trilogy. Ensemble cast in part 3 doesn't change that at all, and the only place you will find the fact that its a trilogy questioned is like... the DC reddit and a handful of messageboards.

Gig

This is a real opinion.

Amazing.

The guys shooting at him in Budapest (I think) were trained police officers/anti-terror agents and every shot misses or hits his arm. What is the A-team?

The guy with the minigun only hitting Cap's shield was bad, Bucky's magic arm was even worse.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The guys shooting at him in Budapest (I think) were trained police officers/anti-terror agents and every shot misses or hits his arm. What is the A-team?

The guy with the minigun only hitting Cap's shield was bad, Bucky's magic arm was even worse.

Why don't people shoot Robocop and Batman in the face?

mreddie

GAF gonna GAF

Movie is good, top tier film, not the best Capes film but at least I get what was going on, the motivation, the setting.

We don't have to like every Marvel film (Thor 2/2008 Hulk) but I at least had fun and it was good. Unlike the other cape films.

Gig

Why don't people shoot Robocop and Batman in the face?

This isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm not a "who gases up the batmobile" kind of guy. "Bucky is like Christian Bale in Equilibrium and can predict where people will shoot" would be good enough for me.

And that brings me to another one of my annoyances from Captain America, Cap's shield. That thing is the most unbelievable aspect of the MCU and once again it wouldn't take much for me to suspend my disbelief.

Howard Stark: "Hey Steve I forgot to mention after I made your shield I had a guy rub a little magic on it." That's all I need.

Asbel

Did you miss the part where he was about to sign then found out Tony put Wanda on lockdown for some reason

Wanda was on lockdown so she wouldn't end up in The Raft. She left the mansion and ended up in The Raft. Tony was right.
Cap was just fishing for excuses to not sign. Whatever the reason, he didn't sign and should take responsibility for that.

It's unoriginal, has an ill-fitting whimsical tone and features a set of Mary Sue characters who are all as bland as bricks. When I first watched it my friends were in arms that I thought it was terrible but I maintain that view til today

Watched it this past week, and I didn't love it.

-The plot didn't feel organic at all. Everything felt like it happened because it needed to happen for the next part of the plot to be able to happen.

-Spider-man in action looked like a cartoon character. Awful CGI, didn't look natural at all. Also, Stark has 36 hours to get Cap, and he takes time to fly to NY to recruit a 15 year old? One he doesn't really have any specific plans about how to use anyway?

-I found it offensive that dead Africans apparently aren't enough to get people caring, we need a dead American kid damn it! And in the same vein; both lead characters need to have black minions?

Also watched Suicide Squad and BvS (extended editions of both), and suprisingly I think the one I enjoyed the most (more than Civil War as well) was SS. Take out ten minutes of "team building" scenes (SS are not and should never be friends), and have a stronger actress for Enchantress and it could have been great. BvS was just a mess. Amy Adams was the only positive thing about it. WW was ok, rest pretty much all really bad.

theWB27

This isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm not a "who gases up the batmobile" kind of guy. "Bucky is like Christian Bale in Equilibrium and can predict where people will shoot" would be good enough for me.

And that brings me to another one of my annoyances from Captain America, Cap's shield. That thing is the most unbelievable aspect of the MCU and once again it wouldn't take much for me to suspend my disbelief.

Howard Stark: "Hey Steve I forgot to mention after I made your shield I had a guy rub a little magic on it." That's all I need.

The magic is the material its made out of.

You are calling War Machine and Falcon minions? They are their best friends.

Minions might not be the word, but they are clearly portrayed as lesser characters. Rhodey in particular is portrayed as being second rate all the way. He is literally an inferior copy of Iron Man.

Asbel

I had quite a few beefs with CW, but one of the two major ones was that the whole infighting thing would have probably been a lot more meaningful if we didn't have two Marvel movies with most of the same crew (Avengers 1 and 2 for those of you playing at home) that did the exact same thing.

The previous movies' infighting was buildup to the climax in Civil War. If there were no buildup, people would complain that the infighting in Civil War came from nowhere. Calling it the same thing is ridiculous.

The Road To War

LionPride

Banned
Watched it this past week, and I didn't love it.

-I found it offensive that dead Africans apparently aren't enough to get people caring, we need a dead American kid damn it! And in the same vein; both lead characters need to have black minions?

Also watched Suicide Squad and BvS (extended editions of both), and suprisingly I think the one I enjoyed the most (more than Civil War as well) was SS. Take out ten minutes of "team building" scenes (SS are not and should never be friends), and have a stronger actress for Enchantress and it could have been great. BvS was just a mess. Amy Adams was the only positive thing about it. WW was ok, rest pretty much all really bad.
Minions? The fuck?

It's the strongest metal on the planet. There is your explanation. Jesus christ

Riposte

My biggest problem with the movie is that they are essentially setting up two movies at once: Cap 3/Bucky and Civil War+new heroes. The beginning is really slow and makes the movie feel a lot longer than it needs to be. I don't quite know how they'd get around it, at least not without confusing the fuck out of audiences.

The whole of the MCU is overrated and exploitative, in my opinion. Soulless product meant to sell you on the next one.

Decent distractions that are competently executed by a studio boardroom, entertaining in places, but ultimately ring hollow because too much of it is preoccupied with continuity and keeping you locked in for the next film.

These are not great FILMS, they're simply a good time. Even Joss Whedon said as much.

I'm seriously done with the MCU, at this point. Civil War was nothing special.

guek

Banned
I have learned to accept that GAF will always be bi-polar when it comes to any super hero or Disney movie.
Gaf takes movies way way way too seriously. Like holy shit, you'd think movies were the cornerstone of human achievement. I get the importance of art, I really do, but the way some people act about popcorn movies is like getting mad at someone for preferring the works of J K Rowling over William Faulkner.

KingV

I mean, it was just as disappointing as all of the MCU movies save maybe dr strange and the first Iron Man movie. It wasn't bad but neither was it great. It just was. Once you get over the excitement of seeing these characters on the big screen, I feel like these movies are just sort of ok.

There's enough of a spectacle and action to justify watching them on the big screen, but at no point am I gonna sit my kid down in 5 years and be like "dude, let me show you all of the MCU movies". They aren't good enough or classic enough to warrant it.

Gig

It's the strongest metal on the planet. There is your explanation. Jesus christ
That doesn't explain why every time he throws the shield it returns to him after deflecting off of multiple surfaces or how it was able to disable that vtol jet in the Winter Soldier.

I don't need much man, just one line elaborating on it's wonkyness and I'm fine.

I didn't really like the inclusion of Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Neither of them were present when the conflict started, and it seemed like they were only fighting because one side told them the other side were the bad guys and they pretty much went along with it.

I enjoyed the movie but would have liked a proper Winter Soldier sequel with Civil War used as an Avengers flick.

I was really annoyed that at the end of The Winter Soldier they were like you can go find Bucky now but it's gonna be hard and dangerous and then suddenly at the end of an unrelated film they're like oh there he is! The movie where he looked for Bucky and it was hard and dangerous would have been amazing.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The whole of the MCU is overrated and exploitative, in my opinion. Soulless product meant to sell you on the next one.

Decent distractions that are competently executed by a studio boardroom, entertaining in places, but ultimately ring hollow because too much of it is preoccupied with continuity and keeping you locked in for the next film.

These are not great FILMS, they're simply a good time. Even Joss Whedon said as much.

I'm seriously done with the MCU, at this point. Civil War was nothing special.

That's nice. I'm not done with the MCU and I hope they pump out more movies. If the trailers for Spider-man homecoming and guardians of the galaxy vol. 2 are any indication the MCU is doing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom