• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone besides me feel like Captain America: Civil War is overrated and exploitative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Machine, Widow, Panther, and Vision signed the accords because they believed they were necessary. Tony didn't convince them to, and Widow seemed to support it in spite of Tony. The only person on Tony's side who's there specifically because of Tony is Spider-Man. On the flip side, there's only a Team Cap specifically because of Cap. Hell, Hawkeye and Ant-Man only come into the movie at all solely to help out Cap.

In a Civil War without Tony, you'd probably see Panther leading the rest of that crew against Cap's team. In a Civil War without Cap, everyone would have either signed or just retired (or in Hawkeye's case, stayed retired).

Sam seemed very against signing to me.

War Machine, Widow, Panther, and Vision signed the accords because they believed they were necessary. Tony didn't convince them to, and Widow seemed to support it in spite of Tony. The only person on Tony's side who's there specifically because of Tony is Spider-Man. On the flip side, there's only a Team Cap specifically because of Cap. Hell, Hawkeye and Ant-Man only come into the movie at all solely to help out Cap.

In a Civil War without Tony, you'd probably see Panther leading the rest of that crew against Cap's team. In a Civil War without Cap, everyone would have either signed or just retired (or in Hawkeye's case, stayed retired).
I don't think everybody would have given up that easily if there was a Civil War without cap. And Panther was only there for Bucky, I don't think he cared about the Accords

So you just want an entirely different MCU. Ok then.
I wanted a different Civl War, but I don't want an entirely different MCU

Just on Tony's side there's him cloning Thor and using the Iron Spider armor to spy on Peter. And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what transpired around the Civil War event in the comics.
But that's all part of the Civil War though, wasn't it? Or was it some other agenda Tony had?

Harmen

The film simply does not strive to be a standalone film, I don't think that is something inherently wrong about the film. It is a cultivation of the preceding films (Cap, Avengers, IM) and does it extremely well. There are plenty of great sequels that don't work nearly as well without the context of the preceding films.

In fact, I think Civil War being a highly regarded sequel to many storylines without becoming a bloated mess is a testament to the talent of the people involved.

LionPride

Banned
Like, the Civil War series is one bloated, messy, arc. The fact Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 somehow made it slightly less messy is amazing

I was disappointing with civil war after winter soldier. Also i really hated spiderman in that movie. But overall it is good and I enjoyed it still.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It's a fun movie but extremely overrated. I'm not a fan of how the Russo Bros transition from scene to scene with the massive text showing the location. Also not a big fan of the amount of CG used in the movie, it cheapened the experience IMO.

Fhtagn

I don't understand why Steve sending that letter leads people to think that they are suddenly BFFs again.

Yeah there are a few moments in the film that people who don't like CA:CW are constantly misreading, and this is one of them. Tony has an understated, neutral reaction to it. It's just as easy to read it as Tony thinking Steve's being an annoying goodie two shoes by sending the letter.

Even though it's meant to be ambiguous, that it's so easy to read as them making up is a misstep, it would read better to have Tony be a bit more negative in his reaction.

For me, Civil War holds together very well on repeated viewings, but how they pick up the story in Infinity War will have retroactive affect; if they team up again like no big deal it'll undermine CW, but if it's earned it'll strengthen it.

It was an Avengers movie, not a Captain America movie. My biggest gripe, though, was how it had absolutely none of the personal or political backbone of the comic story.

In the movie, Captain America is against a 120-something nation treaty just because it inconveniences him. "What if someone attacks and we have to wait for approval" was literally his only argument, and Spiderman is thrown in the there because Marvel executives had to shoot their load as quickly as possible. The only thing the Avengers have to give up is autonomy and in the case laid out by the movie the world is right and Captain America was completely in the wrong.

On no, the Avengers murder a bunch of innocent people and now they're going to be slightly inconvenienced. Civil war, my ass.

Captain America: Civil War is a movie with a deceptive title that happened because executives needed another excuse to have another movie where the Avengers fight each other. That's it.

Azih

In the movie, Captain America is against a 120-something nation treaty just because it inconveniences him. "What if someone attacks and we have to wait for approval" was literally his only argument.
It's bolstered by the fact that if Zemo actually was trying to activate the five other Winter Soldiers he would have been able to do so because of UN bickering and distraction. It's a pretty decent argument considering how in our own world UN indecision let things like Rwanda happen.

Fathead

It was an Avengers movie, not a Captain America movie. My biggest gripe, though, was how it had absolutely none of the personal or political backbone of the comic story.

In the movie, Captain America is against a 120-something nation treaty just because it inconveniences him. "What if someone attacks and we have to wait for approval" was literally his only argument, and Spiderman is thrown in the there because Marvel executives had to shoot their load as quickly as possible. The only thing the Avengers have to give up is autonomy and in the case laid out by the movie the world is right and Captain America was completely in the wrong.

On no, the Avengers murder a bunch of innocent people and now they're going to be slightly inconvenienced. Civil war, my ass.

Captain America: Civil War is a movie with a deceptive title that happened because executives needed another excuse to have another movie where the Avengers fight each other. That's it.

He also asked what happens when the panel tells them to do something they feel they shouldnt. Which after what happened to Shield, is a legit argument.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

So you didn't see Winter Soldier, or what? Civil War is the culmination of the personal relationship between Cap and Iron Man that has been building since Avengers 1, and Cap's behavior and decisions in Civil War (while I disagree with them myself) make complete sense in light of what happened in Winter Soldier. I think sometimes with these MCU movies people just switch their brains off and decide it's the movie's fault or something.

Hero

His argument was that being governed by people with agendas can be a dangerous thing because they could deploy them somewhere they don't think they should be in addition to waiting like you said, which is a fair fear to have given that SHIELD was infiltrated by Hydra while he was in ice.

AndersK

Are you kidding me? Did you actually read the comic? The comic and movie share only the title.

Well, you only say that because you never saw the extended damage control cut. Tony spends 45 minutes cloning Hemsworth because the plot demanded it. A great damn shame Marvel tends to get it right the first time around.

just about every mcu movie is overrated
Yeah. I called Captain America: Civil War, Captain America: IRON MAN'S BACKSTORY featuring Spider-Man.

To me, it seemed to be more of an Iron Man movie than a Captain America movie. I'm tired of Iron Man, by the way.

Only thing I liked in the movie was Ant-Man and Spider-Man. I'm a Captain America fan, but it was like he wasn't the star of his own movie.

Blader

Sam seemed very against signing to me.

Sure, but I also don't think Sam is going to go to war against the UN and other Avengers without Cap. The only reason he's a superhero at all is because he followed Cap into it. Like Hawkeye, he probably would've just quit if there was no Cap leading a resistance against it.

I don't think everybody would have given up that easily if there was a Civil War without cap. And Panther was only there for Bucky, I don't think he cared about the Accords

Wasn't T'Challa at the signing of the Accords, before Bucky was even on his radar?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
t5iFkOn.png

m1ZVLXZ.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I watched it yesterday and Winter Soldier destroys it. The airport scene was so bad.

And the twist with Tony's parents had me rolling my eyes.

Winter Soldier is amazing.

TI82

Banned
Spider-Man makes it one of the better comicbook movies. So H Y P E until homecoming comes out 🙌

Overrated, definitely yes. Still entertaining to watch, yes. Airport scene was my least favorite part in the movie. The jokes and quips brought down the seriousness of that scene, but then you have all the rampant destruction. I wouldn't have thought some of those people would have been doing some of that stuff.
That was mostly Ant Man's fault. Bwhahaha

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, I saw it a while after the release and wasn't too thrilled. It was alright, and had a fun fight scene at the airport. Captain America's character and motivation felt weird to me, he just comes across as unlikeable, even though that's clearly not the intention.

Also, a lot of the comedic beats in Marvel movies feel like they were written by a robot, so that doesn't help their charm.
Not beef, indeed.

LionPride

Banned
Also, people who complain of jokes during the airport scene, it's literally only by Spider-Man and Ant-Man. Which makes sense. A 16 year old teen making jokes and references to Empire and Scott Lang who is a Man child are the only ones really making any jokes. Clint is just there kinda being a dick too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Captain America 3 does not feel like a solo captain america movie. It feels like Disney exploiting the 3rd solo cap film slate as an Avengers storyline because Disney knew it would do Avengers numbers if they did that, and it did;

So? It was a great movie and this upsets you because it was not Cap and his BFF alone? This is an old Marvel story line so how is Disney exploiting anything?

Asbel

His argument was that being governed by people with agendas can be a dangerous thing because they could deploy them somewhere they don't think they should be in addition to waiting like you said, which is a fair fear to have given that SHIELD was infiltrated by Hydra while he was in ice.

Cap could have joined first in good faith and walk away when there was a mission he couldn't agree on. He didn't even give it a chance in the movie.
Stark gave it a chance. When he didn't agree with Ross in the movie, he went around him. Stark took it on a case by case basis, not an always obey the UN or always ignore the UN stance.
Stark was characterized as diplomactic with Steve and the UN. Cap was characterized with the hard headed, 'no, you move' stance.

Cap could have joined first in good faith and walk away when there was a mission he couldn't agree on. He didn't even give it a chance in the movie.
Stark gave it a chance. When he didn't agree with Ross in the movie, he went around him. Stark took it on a case by case basis, not an always obey the UN or always ignore the UN stance.
Stark was characterized as diplomactic with Steve and the UN. Cap was characterized with the hard headed, 'no, you move' stance.
Did you miss the part where he was about to sign then found out Tony put Wanda on lockdown for some reason

Budi

I was surprised about the critical reception after seeing the movie yes, so I guess I consider it overrated. Huge let down after Winter Soldier, just when I thought that more Marvel movies could actually be good. Shit felt like another Avengers to me. 2/5 stars

Zee-Row

Banned
I thought in the comics the Avengers all signed and regulated themselves anyway? It's the whole reason why they aren't feared by the public like the mutants are.

I thought it worked great as both a sequel to Winter Soldier and a sequel to Age of Ultron. On top of that it did a good job introducing Spider-man and Black Panther, and it didn't even feel overstuffed or overlong. Impressive if you ask me.

Also between Winter Soldier and Civil War are any directors doing PG-13 action scenes as good as the Russo bros? Great fight choreography, great camera work, and the hits feel impactful. I've watched Winter Soldier with plenty of friends that aren't even into the Marvel movies and they can enjoy it as just a fun action romp. Can't wait for the Russo bros directed Avengers film.

Wasn't T'Challa at the signing of the Accords, before Bucky was even on his radar?
maybe, I don't think so though.. i thought he was only there when bucky got arrested
How in the world do the accords not make sense in Civil War?
I wasn't talking about the accords at all and whether or not they made sense, but the sha wouldn't have made sense this point in the mcu. later on maybe it would.
So? It was a great movie and this upsets you because it was not Cap and his BFF alone? This is an old Marvel story line so how is Disney exploiting anything?
so, this marvel storyline with cap and his bff was intriguing enough that i think there was enough there to carry its own movie. i explained how it's disney exploiting the cap3 film slate numerous times, but it's there in the OP. it wasn't a great movie. it was okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom