• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone else always feel like a loser on NYE?

Singular7

I don't miss party world at all.

But you should find friends (somehow), because life without them is less enjoyable.

I have a few groups, and we do different things:

- go to a cigar bar and sip drinks
- go karts and stuff like that
- bike trips
- movie theaters with beer
- couples / family vacations

Having kids is also a fantastic part of life that shouldn't be missed.

Tradional NYE around here: pick a video game for a LAN session, order pizza, drink beers

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Nye is just another day to me. New years just when Christians told the existing pagans that new years isnt on April 1st and then told everyone it was January 1st. Then society decided you needed to celebrate a religious based change on the calendar. It means absolutely nothing to me. All new years means to be is a temporary pain in my ass till I adjust to having to write 2020 instead of 2019.

For some people it's just an excuse to go have fun with some friends, drink too much, and drunkingly make out with someone you'll regret the next day. And that's fine. But I just do what i do the other 354 days a year and I'm fine with that.

Being an adult makes stuff like nye pointless because i can drink or party or do anything i want anytime i want with whoever I want. I dont need a socially acceptable excuse to do what I want.

Kev Kev

i had a passing feeling of it last ngiht while i was laying in bed alone watching a movie

but then i remembered all the bullshit that comes along with going out on a night like new years eve. like, spending an ass load of money, worrying about drunk drivers (whether im a passenger or just others out on the road), hangovers and doing embarrassing shit that i regret the next day, not to mention feeling like such ass the next day that i can't do anything

dont get me wrong, those can be super fun and memorable nights regardless of all that, but i usually find myself happier just having a quiet night at home by myself

Last edited:
I went to the beach to watch the fireworks. Got drunk. Went for a swim fully clothed. Came back home salty, covered in sand. I could barely walk in a straight line. All by myself. Millions around me and i managed to not intereact with a single human soul.

Fireworks were lame. This was on flamengo beach. Copacabana beach is where the good stuff is. But that place is hellish on new years eve.

But anyway, i had fun.

I understand what you mean, however, I am in my thirties and I have learned to enjoy the peace. We all need someone we can confide in, and so a close friend or small group of close friends is an absolute essential. It's a form of therapy we as humans all too often take for granted or never knew we needed until we no longer have it. That being said, you've got to drink in the peace and quiet that can all too often be disrupted by benign forces. There's no drama... There's no worries. There is tranquility and stillness. You sound as though you need to find a balance for work and personal life, and do try to make time for your friends even if it's in brief intervals be sure to do this often. Take last night (New Years Ever) for instance. I went out with my wife and son, had some dinner, stopped by and got some drinks and went home to partake in aforementioned drinks and I was in bed by 9:30. I do not regret it in the least. This morning we went out for breakfast, went for a hike, stopped and got lunch, and now we're back home where I am enjoying some peace. Still is the mind that enjoys a moments peace.

Airola

Holy hell, the back and forth roast in first page is like Trump having a threeway debate with himself and himself, it's glorious!

Saruhashi

Banned
A good few years ago myself and a group of friends tried to do the whole new year thing "properly". Flights and hotels booked, tickets bought everything planned out. It was a shitshow. Not enjoyable at all. Sure, we got some good photos out of it but that was all. It was a cross between the excitement of a big night out and the looming threat of drama if the big night was ruined. :) Of course the "big night" was fucking ruined.

Then after I met my now wife we tried to do something similarly expensive and show-offish and again it was just not worth all the hassle. We went off to do our own "romantic" thing and all we got was shit from family and friends who wanted us to do what they wanted instead. Fuckin dumb.

These days unless someone is having a house party I am just not interested.

Nobody should feel like a loser on NYE. If you've got your life sorted in general then why does this specific day even matter?
If you don't have your life sorted then being at home on NYE is the least of your problems. Focus on the 52 weekends of the upcoming year.

Super Mario

Banned
If you feel like a loser on NYE, you probably are. I can say that with confidence because I've had a couple of years like that in my 20s, and it's not fun. I regretted staying in more than I regretted going out.

This isn't saying you are doing it wrong if you aren't at the big city night club in the VIP, but do something. This is a big celebration of the next chapter in life. There are good vibes all over the place. Go to a fun restaurant. Have some people over. Find an event on Facebook. You have the rest of this month to sit at home and do nothing.

Life flies by quickly. Enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Nope. I see folks on social media complaining that no one showed up to their party etc etc. They had every opportunity to join a group, but decided not to and whine that they're alone.

Javthusiast

Banned
I watched twitch in the cozy warmth of my home.

Outside was not only cold, but also foggy as hell, you could barely see anything. And compared to previous years there were barely any people in my neighbourhood with fireworks. Probably because most of their children already grew up and moved out or were at parties elsewhere.

Why do you feel like a loser?

Isn't it better to know your own mind than do something that a load of people do, just because a load of people do it?

Why do we celebrate new years?

LordOfChaos

I was by myself this year too, I normally don't really mind weekends and stuff where I'm mostly on my own because I keep myself interested in stuff and socializing more like every few weekends is fine by me, but NYE somehow feels worse because everyone will always be asking what you did and it becomes this whole FOMO competition.

I do notice a lot of friends posting about being alone with their cat or sleeping early this year to, so us introverts are still together, just apart ;)

Top Bottom