• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else decide to play something just to switch on their console, browse then switch it off again.

Papa_Wisdom

First world problems and all.

Have the day off, decide I wouldn’t mind playing something for a bit. Switch on my console, over 100 games sitting there ready to go but nothing really appealing.
Browse the store for a bit, decide that I’m no longer interested and switch it off.

Back to watching crap on tv that put me in the mood to play something in the first place.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Choice paralysis. Pick what game you want to play outside of the ecosystem first then just go straight in and load it.

Same goes for Netflix, pick a film in advance. Wandering around endless library menus never helps.

Skifi28

I've had that issue many times. The way out is always having a goal in mind even before turning it on, like finishing a specific game. If you try to decide between 100 games, you're never going to play anything .

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

ALL THE TIME! This is mostly due to abundance of choice now we have expendable income to spend on silly amount of consoles and games we might not have had back in the day.
I have so much that I could carry on with or that I can start (psychonaughts 2/sonic frontiers etc) which sounds really good to me until I’m hovering over the game tile to start then I just never press it.

Bond007

All the time.
Generally just end up saying i guess i didnt really wanna play that bad.

Sometimes what i have isnt what im in the mood for

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I've wasted so much money on my Switch.

Zheph

I thought I did until it was actually time to start it then mentally I just noped out.
Yeah that's fair, sometimes I get excited about a game in particular too and then I remember what it will actuablly be like...
It's more a mood thing also, yesterday evening I wanted to just chill without paying attention so I did fancy some Diablo than I remembered S3 isn't that good so just switched off

MarkMe2525

I've recently recalibrate how I build my retro collections due in part to this. I wiped my drives clean on ps3, ps2, and wii and repopulated with a personal "best set".

edit: I still keep the rest on what I affectionately call "the vault", which is a 1TB SSD.

Last edited:

Metnut

"Fortnite"

I’ve never played a GAAS before. Last three I played were Yakuza Gaiden, Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty, and Zelda TotK. Next game I’m playing is FF7R. Taking a small break from gaming for a week or two until it releases.

Maybe I’m OCD, but I only play one game at a time and plan out the next few games I’m playing in advance.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
yeah, used to happen all the time. I’ve mostly kicked the habit now. My rules are:

- I’m not turning on the computer unless I’m really in the mood for gaming and I know what I want to play

- I will never buy/play a game because of FOMO. I stopped giving a shit about the latest AAA cinematic blockbuster with the mind-blowing plot twist, or the latest indie darling with the staggeringly brilliant subversion of modern tropes or whatever. Fuck that shit. If it doesn’t look fun to me, I’m not playing it even if it’s 97 on Metacritic.

- if I’m not in the mood for gaming, I’ll read a book or go have sex with my wife or something. I’m not going to waste my time trying to extract some mild amusement from an entertainment product.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I find that when this happens to me…I close my eyes, scroll, then whatever game I stop on I play. 9 times out of 10 it is kind of fun to play lol

Kacho

Sometimes.

It's usually because I'm tired and the thought of starting something new feels like a huge task.

Other times I just need inspiration, so I'll fire up YouTube and watch content on games I'm interested in until I feel like playing something.

A lot of times I will rifle thru my games and not be able to commit to one, then start organizing the games based on genre & color schemes of their UI tiles. I lke a nice gradient of colors in a row of 8 game tiles. I wish there was more customization options for sorting your library. Subfolders etc

Papa_Wisdom

A lot of times I will rifle thru my games and not be able to commit to one, then start organizing the games based on genre & color schemes of their UI tiles. I lke a nice gradient of colors in a row of 8 game tiles. I wish there was more customization options for sorting your library. Subfolders etc
I just start tinkering/ setting up emulators and then not play any of them.

Last Chance to play section is fantastic and usually not overwhelmingly long. It forces me to finish the stuff I am anyway interested and limits the choice nicely. Only with plenty of extra time I wander into my backlog.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yep. I planned on playing a lot if stuff Sat-Monday.........played the FF demo, 20 minutes of BG3 and a few games of Cobalt Core on Switch......that was it. Arrrgh............choice paralysis is real.

skit_data

I do sometimes browse the PS+ Extra/Premium tab but then just feel 'wtf am I doing. I was supposed to play games!"
Then I start one of the games I purchased but for some odd reason didn't finish.

I do the same thing with movies. Browse a streaming service until I realize "hey I got a fuckton of movies on bluray I haven't watched for a while."

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I often launch something get to the menu screen, then think nah I don't want to play this.

StereoVsn

Already said in the topic but browsing a library is a killer. If you have a clear idea of what you want to play it will be much smoother
Yep, if I start doing that I go and fall back to a few standard games I play. Basically will fire up a strategy game and go:

pinky-and-the-brain-take-over-the-world.gif

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
the last 5 years of gaming have been mostly rubbish so yeah

I fire up a retro console that never happens

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I find this is more down to modern gaming for me, rather than abundance of choice. Games these days are often a chore to play, despite being brain-dead easy.

Last edited:
Yes. I found that most of the time, I'm just massively turned off by AAA games. I get out of the loop by finding something smaller, even Early Access titles that don't replicate the same two dozen or so formulas you typically get in the mainstream.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This year I have too many games to play not enough time to play them all......

I'm still not done with Persona 3 Reload and Granblue Fantasy Relink and FFVII Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord are just around the corner.
giphy.gif

Chastten

Banned
It happens on occasion when I'm in between some big games I really wanna play.

Like, you just finished big game A, and it's another week till big game B comes out. You kinda wanna play a 3th game to fill the time between those games, but you don't really have the motivation to put that plan into action.

Usually just end up watching an anime or reading a book or something instead :p

Top Bottom