• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else experiencing motion sickness from Horizon?

mindsale

I very, very rarely experience motion sickness from games (the last that comes to mind is Dishonored 1, which I fought through), but I felt so nauseated playing four hours of Horizon earlier (which I like a lot, even if the young adult caliber writing and acting is losing me) that I vomited.

Is anyone else experiencing nausea with the game? Is there a setting you recommend I alter to improve my enjoyment?

What's the last time you experienced motion sickness in a video game, if ever?

Edit: I forgot that I experienced dizziness and nausea while playing The Witness and Resident Evil VII in PSVR. But prior to that, Dishonored on PS3.

maxcriden

Oh man, motion sickness is the worst. So sorry to hear it and hope you're feeling better Can you pinpoint at all what might be the cause?

I usually get a little motion sick when walking upside-down in games, Thomas Was Alone and Twilight Princess come to mind.

mindsale

Oh man, motion sickness is the worst. So sorry to hear it. Can you pinpoint at all what might be the cause?

I have no idea. I don't know if it's an effect I can diminish in the settings or the slight looseness to the controls (not in a bad way). Aiming is perfectly fine. I've no idea what's triggering it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I did have some during the first playable segment, but it went away once Alloy grew up.

I think the camera was too low during that part.

For reference, if it helps you find a solution: I usually have intense motion sickness in games like Half-Life or Unreal with the default FOV settings. I usually have to fiddle with it through menus or mods for these games to become playable.

The Witness pre-patch also slayed me.

mindsale

You might want to try the performance setting. It might help.

"Performance setting?" As in "keeps a steady frame-rate?"

The frame rate seems fine, if that's all it does. I don't think that's it.

I should also specify I'm playing on a PS4 Pro on a 1080P set.

I almost want to know if there's a "head bob" kinda feature in there that's messing with me, though obviously this isn't first-person.

Zophar

The map has a very subtle 3D terrain effect that is a little disorienting for me, because it runs at 60fps while the rest of the game is at 30.

CEJames

Damn, motion sickness in a non-VR game??? Kinda feel bad for you OP. But no, I was completely fine. Though, this is coming from someone that is extremely comfortable with PSVR. However, Robinson: The Journey gave me a run for my money. Had to take the headset off a few times during my play sessions with it.

Mercador

Robinson was the only game that gave me serious motion sickness. Played once for one hour, been sicked for two hours.

maxcriden

The map has a very subtle 3D terrain effect that is a little disorienting for me, because it runs at 60fps while the rest of the game is at 30.

I wonder if that in conjunction with the camera issue you mentioned could be at the root of it, mindsale....hmm...

WadeitOut

Yes. I've had a bad headache all day playing. It's definitely related to the bad POV.

I've been having to sit further back from my TV than usual.

Weird. I got a tiny tinge of it earlier but shook it off. Kind of eerie in that it almost felt like I was going to get nauseous but didn't...

Lorcain

Third person games with low FOV, or low FOV and the camera is offset to one side have made me nauseous before. Once I increase the FOV I'm good to go.

WadeitOut

I'm normally okay with third person games like UC and Gears. This one is just destroying my equilibrium it feels like.

Love how every time this has happened Injust shrugged it off as feeling sick or getting a migraine until I read that others are having it from the same game I'm playing.

rjcc

The camera in the early part is really bad, but it seemed better in my very limited playtime after she got older.

WadeitOut

It's the kid section with no HUD.

Just power through that and you should be good

It's mostly the kid part but there are sections later where you are in confined areas under ground or in caves where it does the same thing with the tight camera. Not long enough to really bother me much though.

Bastion

It strange that I just got down playing for an hour and was feeling dizzy. Then I came here and saw this. Not the only one I see. It's not bad but I never get motion sickness from third person games.

Rellik

It's only ever happened to me twice. Crysis 2 and the recent Mirror's Edge game. There wasn't anything I could do so I just refused to buy ME and Crysis was thankfully a rental.

erragal

It reminded me of how I got playing Warframe back in 2015 (Not sure it still does this) with motion blur on. That gave me terrible headaches because I couldn't connect it to the game (never had those issues before or since).

It's a bad cocktail of settings. Really wish I could just turn motion blurring off in case it crops up again.

I think the camera is shaky in that beginning part, when
Aloy is a little girl and falls down into that metal ruins area.
I think it goes away once you hit the next chapter.

99Luffy

Banned
The camera pan motion blur setting in witcher 3 resolves my issues with motion sickness. Does this game have the same?

Formless

I couldnt play through Tomb Raider because of motion blur, lots of modern games have too much it disorients me.

Good thing some games let you turn it off.

Oh? So I'm not the only one?
Young Aloy really is the worst part of the game. Especially when you get the focus for the first time.
Ugh. Almost made me puke. The FOV in that section was horrendous.

I'm glad it didn't continue with the
Adult Aloy.
So I'm enjoying it so far.

Wolfenstein The New Order and Fallout 4 both gave me motion sickness. I rebought TNO on the PC because I thought the low FOV on consoles was the problem, but it didn't help. I then changed the scale of the weapon models and that mostly solved the problem. I still have no idea why.

ugh yes. Well, I'm not experiencing motion sickness, but the motion blur is very strong and has been tiring my eyes out a lot. For an otherwise beautiful and fun game, this is a peeve that is weighing me down a lot.

Mikey Jr.

I very, very rarely experience motion sickness from games (the last that comes to mind is Dishonored 1, which I fought through), but I felt so nauseated playing four hours of Horizon earlier (which I like a lot, even if the young adult caliber writing and acting is losing me) that I vomited.

Is anyone else experiencing nausea with the game? Is there a setting you recommend I alter to improve my enjoyment?

What's the last time you experienced motion sickness in a video game, if ever?

Edit: I forgot that I experienced dizziness and nausea while playing The Witness and Resident Evil VII in PSVR. But prior to that, Dishonored on PS3.

It's because the camera shifts to Aloy's left shoulder rather than the right, which you are most accustomed to.

Seems to bounce to either side. Have to aim to set it correctly. Hopefully they can patch this.

Karak

Interesting. I am not only prone to it I am downright always afflicted with it but Horizon didn't do that. Not sure.
I would adjust the hud and see if any of the elements are causing you to have a split focus.

DPB

My copy is arriving tomorrow, I'm dreading it now. Any game that causes motion sickness usually affects me too.

The only thing I can suggest is to play less at a time. If you start feeling ill at all you should stop immediately rather than trying to get used to it. I tried to force my way through Half-Life 2 and ended up feeling sick for an entire day.

-Horizon-

Oh it gets better after the tutorial part? That's good to hear. First game this year that gave me a minor headache lol.

Wow,I thought I was the only one.I kept trying to find a way to change any settings to fix it...Once she grows up it seems to be fine..I wonder what it is at the beginning thats makes alot of ppl get motion sickness like that

Vic_Viper

I have never had motion sickness before but man that opening section with young Aloy was seriously bothering me. Thought it was just me lol. Weird, since ive never had this happen before.

Top Bottom