• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else experiencing motion sickness from Horizon?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just got done playing for a couple of hours and yes I had to stop due to feeling ill. I get motion sickness bad from first person games but usually OK with third person but this one is causing it. I'm past the
child
part.

I had to stop playing about 2 minutes in and run out to the store to get some motion sickness medicine because I was already getting sick. I've never been hit this hard by motion sickness before. The only other games that have really affected me were Dead Island and Fallout 4, both because of awful frame rates/frame pacing, and for both of those it was a few hours before I started feeling ill.

I'm waiting for the medicine to kick in before I start playing again. I hope, as Brazil said, it gets better after Aloy grows up; otherwise, I think I'll be returning this game and waiting to try my luck again during a sale.

The worst thing about motion sickness for me is that it doesn't go away when I stop playing. Once it starts I'm stuck feeling sick for hours.

I don't know if the motion blur and slow camera speed are contributing to it, but they definitely aren't helping.

mindsale

I set it to performance mode and I am much less queasy.

Also I have gastroenteritis, so it's not entirely on you, Aloy.

Mooreberg

There was something very strange about the camera tracking speed in the tight quarters of the child section. But I have yet to have an issue with of the regular open world environments.

From what I've seen of the streams, it's the very low FOV 3rd person camera view and the somewhat smoothed out camera movement. Doesn't look right which is strange because if you see photo mode you can adjust FOV and it zooms out further from the character and it looks a whole lot better and more gamey.

III-V

To answer your question, no I did not have any sickness. Is it the bokeh effect?

You may want to try performance setting, it had more motion blur from what I saw.

doesnt seem like the kind of game that would induce motion sickness. The Witness made me sick though.

The 30fps took some time to adjust to though. Everything looked so fuzzy and blurry at first

Edit** others experiencing it as well. That's unfortunate.

Pakoe

I had the same with U4.
For me, it was the combination of unsteady 30 FPS, low FOV and motion blur. Turning motion blur off kind of helped, but I couldn't play for a longer period.

Is your TV in "game mode" (no post processing features etc.), otherwise many TVs have a noticeable lack in control response that could cause motion sickness as well.

Lotto

Uncharted 3 was the only game to ever give me motion sickness. I could only play that game 10 minutes at a time before getting a headache. Seeing this makes me worried this might too, wonder if it has to do with the third person perspective..

I normally get motion sick at the drop of a hat, but thankfully I haven't had an issues with Horizon. I'm sorry, OP, that really sucks - motion sickness can be really frustrating.

TwiztidElf

I think I might be in the sick club. :(
I've played it for about 7 hours in the last day over 3-4 sessions, and I've had the worst headache imaginable, and feel like I might vomit now.

For me I'm fine during play, but as soon as I stop playing, ugh...
Game is great though.

Second day of playing this, and it seems to be okay for me now. I think it was just the child section of the game that really fucked me up.

Edit: Made it a few hours before I started getting vertigo and took some motion sickness medicine. I think I'll just keep the package of pills beside the PS4 lol

U2NUMB

I certainly felt it in the opening sequence but it got better once the meat of the game kicked in. So I believe there is something going on as enough of us had a feeling. I'm glad mine went away because boy was I worried.

Terrell

I have no idea. I don't know if it's an effect I can diminish in the settings or the slight looseness to the controls (not in a bad way). Aiming is perfectly fine. I've no idea what's triggering it.

If you're anything like me, it's a combination of framerate of the game, quick perspective changes and motion blur. I bought a plasma TV while I still could, just so that I could watch TV without getting headaches and mild nausea after a few hours. Video games on LCD/LED TVs only make the problem worse, so perhaps you're experiencing the same thing but at a higher threshold.

TL;DR - Current TVs are garbage and make me ill, maybe you too?

Orpheum

No motion sickness at all here. Although i don't like the "zoomed in" view at times, but that's a minor complaint

The only game that gave motion sickness was unfinished swan. Think that was probably due to the camera speed and the white backgrounds with little colour. Horizon was fine for me for the little amount I did play.

mindsale

To those asking, I think it's the motion blur effect like in Final Fantasy Type Zero, where panning the camera looks like you just got trapped on a carnival ride.

It's the low FOV for sure. Depending on viewing distance, screen size and your personal sensitivity it definitely has the ability to make you sick.

TB14

I've never been prone to motion sickness, even when playing VR for the first time and jumping into some of the worst offenders. However, the beginning sequence of Horizon did bother me a bit. I've played it for many hours since then and haven't had any more problems, though.

Harlock

A little discomfort early on in the game. I have a similar feeling with the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Is like very detailed ambient create the problem, but I dont have this issue with any Uncharted.

Motion sickness in a third person game..interesting AND worrying. I just bought this because Zelda sucks and have this itch to play an adventur-y open world game.

Nya

I felt it too even with adult Aloy, I had to force myself to get used to it until it finally went away.

But that low FOV and shifting camera is really annoying ..

occelinho

I get motion sickness pretty easily, but nothing playing HZD so far.
Well, that's not entirely true. I gotta say that I do feel a bit "sick" when using the focus for too long. Camera movement is just way too slow there.

Amirnol

I really wish we could adjust the camera's closeness to the character, it feels too close and when you enter villages, it goes even closer for some reason and it feels very claustrophobic. My only real gripe with what is otherwise a fantastic game.

yayaba

I feel it a bit in close confined spaces. Outdoors is totally fine. I decided to drop back into the ruins area that Aloy is in as a kid and instantly felt kind of off so I noped and loaded back an old game that was outside.

The Goat

I get motion sickness pretty easily, but Horizon has been fine so far. Are you on base PS4 or Pro? Not sure it would make much difference, but I'm playing on a Pro.

OP trying having a small fan blow cool air on your face. This seriously helps lessen the motion sickness. Good luck, I hope it subsides!

No. But the Scotland level in uncharted4 with the slight angling ground made me queasy for some reason. Only time a game like that made me feel not well

No, Horizon hasn't given me any trouble even after a couple hours straight, though I have occasionally had motion sickness during longer sessions or choppy framerates in some games. I'm playing on Pro.

Top Bottom