• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel like the world is trying to gaslight them re: COVID?

DanteFox

Most of California is re-shutting down again because of a new spike in cases and everyone's saying things like

"This country is full of idiots who won't wear masks and having irresponsible parties."

"This new spread is due to bars and beaches re-opening."

"Back to square one. The last three months were for nothing."

Etc. Meanwhile what I see is people for the most part being conscientious and wearing masks indoors, while socially distancing outdoors where spread is less likely. Meanwhile, not a mention is made of the massive protests that happened exactly two weeks before the spike began. It really feels like Alice in wonderland where everything is upside down, yet I'm being made to feel insane. The media went from mask shaming, to applauding the BLM protests, and now back to successfully fear mongering and shaming people again, while totally ignoring the protests that likely contributed the most to this surge.

gP6hLUx.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
Not buying what the media is trying to sell me on COVID since fuckin' Feb.

Numbers are obviously inflated and fear mongering is out of control.

All these half measures and inconsistent as fuck bullshit guidelines tell you all you need to know.

I got bored of COVID and hearing about it over a fuckin' month ago.

The world is fuckin' embarrassing right now. Fuck COVID, fuck the media, fuck all the little buzzwords, and fuck the masses that will blindly buy into all the fear mongering.

owBslAa.jpg

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Not buying what the media is trying to sell me on COVID since fuckin' Feb.

Numbers are obviously inflated and fear mongering is out of control.

All these half measures and inconsistent as fuck bullshit guidelines tell you all you need to know.

I got bored of COVID and hearing about it over a fuckin' month ago.

The world is fuckin' embarrassing right now. Fuck COVID, fuck the media, fuck all the little buzzwords, and fuck the masses that will blindly buy into all the fear mongering.

owBslAa.jpg
As someone who works in a hospital, fuck off with that attitude. I've called for morgue carts for people who have died from covid. It's real, it's a problem, and people need to wake the fuck up.

carlosrox

Banned
As someone who works in a hospital, fuck off with that attitude. I've called for morgue carts for people who have died from covid. It's real, it's a problem, and people need to wake the fuck up.

Never said it wasn't real. I said it's blown way the fuck out of proportion.

Wake up to what? Am I supposed to keel over, cry, and live in fear? Already dealing with these paranoid stupid fuckin' regulations like everyone else, not much else I can do beyond that.

Shantae

Banned
Never said it wasn't real. I said it's blown way the fuck out of proportion.

Wake up to what? Am I supposed to keel over, cry, and live in fear? Already dealing with these paranoid stupid fuckin' regulations like everyone else, not much else I can do beyond that.
Not referring to you specifically, but the people act like that it's such an inconvenience for them need to start taking responsibility until we are past the point where it is a major problem. Wear a damn mask out of the house, 80% of people I encounter aren't. People who aren't wearing masks go around with this mentality that it's about them. Not wearing a mask because they "don't care if they get sick" when the reason is to wear a mask is so they don't get ME sick. It's about the people around you. No one gives a shit about anyone else, and that's the only way to beat this thing. That's the thing people need to wake up to.

Nester99

Deaths are way down in all jurisdictions.

No one is reporting the lack of correlation between MORE Cases resulting in LESS deaths.

It’s almost as if the case level is a function of how much we test, not a function. Of over all health.

For example what’s the difference between $5mm infected and 100k confirmed cases vs $5mm infected and $3mm confirmed cases. Still the same number of sick people, we just have more of them “confirmed”

Deaths and hospitalizations are the metrics that matter to me.

DanteFox

Not referring to you specifically, but the people act like that it's such an inconvenience for them need to start taking responsibility until we are past the point where it is a major problem. Wear a damn mask out of the house, 80% of people I encounter aren't. People who aren't wearing masks go around with this mentality that it's about them. Not wearing a mask because they "don't care if they get sick" when the reason is to wear a mask is so they don't get ME sick. It's about the people around you. No one gives a shit about anyone else, and that's the only way to beat this thing. That's the thing people need to wake up to.
Really? 80%? Somehow I doubt it. Everyone I see going into stores and such are wearing masks. Outdoors where people are at a distance, it's pointless to wear a mask.

Shantae

Banned
Really? 80%? Somehow I doubt it. Everyone I see going into stores and such are wearing masks. Outdoors where people are at a distance, it's pointless to wear a mask.
No, I'm serious. Maybe it defers by the area you live in, but I go into a grocery store, and I can easily count on both hands how many people have masks compared to those who don't.

Dr Bass

No, I'm serious. Maybe it defers by the area you live in, but I go into a grocery store, and I can easily count on both hands how many people have masks compared to those who don't.

What general area do you live in? Not like that at all in California.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What happened to herd immunity? Does this conflict with the desire to limit transmission and have everyone masked and afraid at all times?

herd immunity requires a Majority to have had it and moved on, we aren’t anywhere near a majority, for that to happen (quickly) our hospitals would get severely overrun and lots of people would die, not just of Covid but all the other emergencies that would have otherwise got treated but aren’t because of lack of space/manpower/attention.

What we are trying to avoid is the hospitals getting over run. That’s it. Nothing else we can do till a cure or treatment comes out. We need to protect the hospitals and keep the number of patients at a level they can handle efficiently

Pagusas

Elden Member
So in places where it seems like there is low risk of that, you'd want to encourage spreading to a degree wouldn't you?

I dont understand your question? I dont agree with the idea of herd immunity in this case as its not achievable with the population of the US in a timely manner without massive amounts of death. Even in a low risk area, say a small town, we are too interconnected for it to be reliable.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

herd immunity requires a Majority to have had it and moved on, we aren’t anywhere near a majority, for that to happen (quickly) our hospitals would get severely overrun and lots of people would die, not just of Covid but all the other emergencies that would have otherwise got treated but aren’t because of lack of space/manpower/attention.

What we are trying to avoid is the hospitals getting over run. That’s it. Nothing else we can do till a cure or treatment comes out. We need to protect the hospitals and keep the number of patients at a level they can handle efficiently

That was certainly the narrative at the start of all of this and now it's quickly turned into "You're going to kill grandma you selfish %&$*!" The flatten the curve narrative has disappeared. Now it's about listening to govt. authority it seems. I wear a mask because not doing so seems ridiculously stupid, and it's basically required out here.

But what is the end game? From people who worked in hospitals out here, it's been a ghost town. Less "business" than usual, to the point where they've had to furlough people because they don't have enough patients. Remember all those camps and extra tents set up to deal with the fallout of this thing? Weren't they basically never used? Obviously there are people getting sick and dying but this whole thing feels bizarre.

Nymphae

Banned
I dont understand your question? I dont agree with the idea of herd immunity in this case as its not achievable with the population of the US in a timely manner without massive amounts of death. Even in a low risk area, say a small town, we are too interconnected for it to be reliable.

What is the basis for assuming herd immunity is not achievable without massive amounts of death, have we not been seeing a very low death rate among healthy people who get the disease? The cases go up and the deaths go down.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That was certainly the narrative at the start of all of this and now it's quickly turned into "You're going to kill grandma you selfish %&$*!" The flatten the curve narrative has disappeared. Now it's about listening to govt. authority it seems. I wear a mask because not doing so seems ridiculously stupid, and it's basically required out here.

But what is the end game? From people who worked in hospitals out here, it's been a ghost town. Less "business" than usual, to the point where they've had to furlough people because they don't have enough patients. Remember all those camps and extra tents set up to deal with the fallout of this thing? Weren't they basically never used? Obviously there are people getting sick and dying but this whole thing feels bizarre.

I agree there is some weird stuff going on regarding numbers, and I completely agree its turned politically charged and the narrative of flattening the curve someone got screwed up. The whole reason Texas is panicing right now though is the hospital system seeing a major spike that is causing alarm bells to go off about shit hitting the fan.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s scarier when you think of where the virus was created. Imagine the day this virus mutated to what it is. Were we just chilling that day? It’s like imagining that monkey from the film Outbreak. I wonder if something else in this world is going to be worse than COVID19. Imagine something so deadly, in the wild, that has the capacity to wipe the entire population of world in a matter of months. There just isn’t such a thing as containment.
I see people wearing their mask with it hanging off their face. I bet some of those masks have COVID on the inside of the mask.

I was about to forget about it, but now I don’t even have my test results back. A guy who said it was built out of fear at my work, is now home sick with it. It’s difficult when you hear about the paranoia versus getting sick with it. I think a lot of it is fear from something that is literally traveling across the globe and has caused massive graves of dead people. The threat is too real to ignore.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What happened to herd immunity? Does this conflict with the desire to limit transmission and have everyone masked and afraid at all times?
If I never hear the phrase 'herd immunity' used incorrectly again it will be too soon.

cryptoadam

Banned
Did anyone listen to Fauci? He said straight up that he chose to have everyone not wear masks because you weren't the people that really needed them.

Leaders and health officials said racism is more of a health hazard then COVID.

They will say whatever they want not based on any science, but on their political goals.

Wash you hands, social distance, wear a mask inside if you will be in contact with other people not in your known circle, take vitamins, avoid clubs and large gatherings and wait for this thing to hopefully blow over. Whatever these "experts" and "leaders" are telling you is most likely wrong or lies likes its been from day 1.

Remember they are all locking down again now, but the lock down in the first place didn't stop the virus so why is it going to work this time? California had the first, strictest and longest lock down and they have more cases now then the first lock down. So why will this lock down work when its being run by the same people?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It is what it is. This isn't the first viral outbreak of this kind we've dealt with after all.

Certain politicians downplaying the effects of these protests for political points, yes, they're to blame as well.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I mean , this shit is even taking lives in Timbuktu. Don't try to downplay the seriousness of corona because you live your lives in a fucking bubble.

gioGAF

The whole thing is ridiculous really. Those pushing this nonsense shutdown are pretending that we haven't learned anything new since the beginning. They said it could live on surfaces for a long time, turned out to be false. They said you can stealth give it to someone else (you are killing grandma!), turns out that is really rare when not showing symptoms, again false.

They (the media) have whipped everyone into a frenzy, yet they have been hypocrites the whole time. Those calling for the masks wear them for televised appearances, but don't care otherwise. They don't shelter in place, they only talk about how you should do it. They cancel all events they don't like (holidays, Trump rallies, etc.), but then go on massive protests that suit their needs. Then they proceed to blame increases in cases on said holidays/Trump rallies, beaches, parks, restaurants, etc. while ignoring and flat out telling those gathering data NOT to ask about involvement in protests. Not to mention, increase in testing generally leads to increase in cases detected. If you live somewhere that is not testing anyone, chances are the number of documented cases will be extremely low.

I'm sick of all of the inconsistencies. How are day care centers open, but not schools? Why are we shutting down our economy when the mortality rate for people under 60 is similar to the flu? Why is everyone being quarantined instead of those that are vulnerable?

What is the plan? To shelter in place indefinitely? To ruin people's livelihood for something that will have to run its course no matter what? This "solution" is worse than the disease itself.

I apologize for the scattered nature of this post, there is just so much that is wrong with the current situation.

Last edited:

Cracklox

Its pretty funny where I live. They've locked down certain postcodes, whereas everyone else can get on with life. I live literally over the road from one of those postcodes, and another is about a 15 min walk. My local supermarket and shops are in one of those postcodes, which I go to every few days. If you live in one of those areas and try to travel interstate, then you'll be turned around and potentially fined as well as a maybe 6 months prison (!). Needless to say people in those areas are none too pleased. So basically my side of the street is fine but the other side is plague ridden. Makes sense.

And I've been super wary of this whole thing since around the time the lockdowns started, when the guy running our state, went on national tv and uttered the immortal words " If you don't want to bury your best mate, stay at home". It was well known, even at that point, the worst affected were elderly people or people with compromised immune systems, so.... Then other things like one day there was 1 whole death, a 94 year old lady, and a politician was on tv offering condolences to the family about the horrible tragedy. How about all the other elderly (or not) people that day, that didnt die of the scary disease. Where's their nation wide condolences.

Its all just been more then a bit suss the way its being reported. Between this, and then a lot of the reporting around the BLM 'peaceful protests', it's been an exercise in teaching me alot about news that gets skewed for political and/or whatever other reasons. I used to laugh every time Trump banged on about fake news too, but now I think he's actually onto something

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

Until a few days ago, the fella on the left was Ireland's health minister - constantly telling us about not dropping our guard, how we must keep up social distancing, how we must stay at home unless absolutely necessary, we should wear a mask when out and about etc., etc.

Then his job changes and that all seems to be out of the window in that picture. This kind of thing is why people are suspicious of all this.

I'm not sure what to believe at times :messenger_neutral:

DanteFox

Its pretty funny where I live. They've locked down certain postcodes, whereas everyone else can get on with life. I live literally over the road from one of those postcodes, and another is about a 15 min walk. My local supermarket and shops are in one of those postcodes, which I go to every few days. If you live in one of those areas and try to travel interstate, then you'll be turned around and potentially fined as well as a maybe 6 months prison (!). Needless to say people in those areas are none too pleased. So basically my side of the street is fine but the other side is plague ridden. Makes sense.

And I've been super wary of this whole thing since around the time the lockdowns started, when the guy running our state, went on national tv and uttered the immortal words " If you don't want to bury your best mate, stay at home". It was well known, even at that point, the worst affected were elderly people or people with compromised immune systems, so.... Then other things like one day there was 1 whole death, a 94 year old lady, and a politician was on tv offering condolences to the family about the horrible tragedy. How about all the other elderly (or not) people that day, that didnt die of the scary disease. Where's their nation wide condolences.

Its all just been more then a bit suss the way its being reported. Between this, and then a lot of the reporting around the BLM 'peaceful protests', it's been an exercise in teaching me alot about news that gets skewed for political and/or whatever other reasons. I used to laugh every time Trump banged on about fake news too, but now I think he's actually onto something
I think a lot of people are feeling this, but it's not PC to question the narrative because if you do you'll be labeled a science denier or conspiracy theorist. Whatever happened to nuanced, holistic discussion as well as statistical literacy? Why do we care that there are X number of record cases today, but the deaths haven't really shot up that much? I realize this disease is a real thing, it's undeniable that people are dying from it, but where's the reasonable discussion regarding risks and realistic solutions?

It's really unfortunate they changed that tune from "hospitals not overrun" to whatever it is now.
We had 10 COVID-dead a day for weeks now in Germany.

I guess more people die every day from the cold and its complications or having a stroke while wanking.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

We're not having a great time over here in South Africa. One of our provinces is completely overrun by the disease. Healthcare buckled like a month ago, army deployment is being extended to cope, etc. Most of the country is fine, but that region is completely fucked. They've asked for the army's medical assistance since the hospitals are full. Schools are supposed to be reopening soon but that's just asking for trouble over there. So the pupils there are fucked, and will probably lose a school year if this goes on.

thefool

I think you're severely overrating blm protests worldwide. While I can't obviously talk about specific regional situations (in the us or other countries), it's noticeable rebounds are happening everywhere (when they open up) and certainly not because of any type of protest that occurred there.

Lockdowns exist to slow down hospitalizations, that's all there is to it. It doesn't magically make the virus go away, it simply slows down the spread. If the lockdown is actually effective, then it just means your rebound is going to be more severe. Hopefully you now have a better prepared system to handle cases, as well as better contact/tracing mechanisms.

The good news is that the rebound seems to be much less worrisome than the initial situation (less deaths and hospitalizations ratios). Maybe the assessment we had of the initial situation was very wrong (meaning a much higher number of infected not found vs now), maybe social distancing and masks are working, maybe the virus has adapted, maybe we have more effective treatments, maybe we have better mechanisms to assess the new situation or maybe it's related with unknown factors we're still learning.

At a macro-scale it's pretty damn impressive how new cases keep going up and new deaths keep going down

Yd8fDiO.png

Long term, if no vaccine is ready for the next 30 weeks, we are all going to tend to similar numbers. Similar deaths/infected/hospitalizations per capita. There will be differences related with other factors like the health system crashing (happened already in madrid and lombardy, certainly is happening in poorer countries), the regional population pyramid, the population health, etc. but if you live in a place that had covid pretty controlled until now, you should obviously expect a bigger rebound (or a longer one). It's simply natural. Does mass gatherings accelerate that? Probably yes.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Alabama here at a Whataburger. I was literally the only customer with a mask on. And the cashier and many in the back didn't cover their noses and mouths with their masks. It might not be 80% but it's a fucking shit ton of people not listening. Anyways. I won't be going back to these places until this shit is over.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, I've felt like that since April.

On days I take the black pill, I think that this is all a massive psy-op designed to break the population, sever them from reality, and make them soft and compliant.

Last edited:

DanteFox

All the world governments, each with their own ideology, working together on the same conspiracy, yeah that makes sense.
I never said it was a conspiracy. I just think the fear mongering is off the charts. I never said people aren't dying. I never said not to wear a mask or socially distance. I just think it's convenient how little politicians and journalists cared when it was mass protests and how many even joined the protests, who are now saying the sky is falling. And now all of a sudden we have to close beaches on independence day? Yeah, it was the beaches that did it. GTFO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. The sheer hypocrisy is honestly quite unbearable. It's never been laid this bare before. Truly, the mask is off.

Still take COVID-19 seriously, but holy shit, fuck the twisted media and their rotten agenda. Not a goddamn word they say is to be taken at face value.

Rbk_3

I am going to be honest. I am getting so sick of hearing the terms "Gas Lighting" and "Virtue Signaling"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still have no idea what 'gas lighting' actually means.

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes including low self-esteem.

The term originates in the systematic psychological manipulation of a victim by her husband in Patrick Hamilton’s 1938 stage play Gas Light,[4] and the film adaptations released in 1940 and 1944.[5] In the story, the husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes. The play's title alludes to how the abusive husband slowly dims the gas lights in their home, while pretending nothing has changed, in an effort to make his wife doubt her own perceptions.

Basically, consistent and deliberate attempts at twisting the truth to make people not believe what they clearly see to be reality.

Yoda

Public health officials let their politics ruin what credibility they had left after bungling the early messaging around human-to-human transmission and masks. Ignoring the danger of mass protests in the middle of what they themselves called a pandemic, then post-protest telling us it's due to "re-opening". All the establishments I've visited since the restrictions were lifted require masks and have social distancing standards. The new spike has a very clear cause and it isn't from normal people engaging in their daily routine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deaths are way down in all jurisdictions.

No one is reporting the lack of correlation between MORE Cases resulting in LESS deaths.

It’s almost as if the case level is a function of how much we test, not a function. Of over all health.

For example what’s the difference between $5mm infected and 100k confirmed cases vs $5mm infected and $3mm confirmed cases. Still the same number of sick people, we just have more of them “confirmed”

Deaths and hospitalizations are the metrics that matter to me.

100% and especially true when dealing with tests that have relatively high false negative rates, and even non-insignificant false positive rates. Factor in people getting tested multiple times and you're in for a shit shown when you testing en masse. I think Japan took the right approach with targeted testing.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lionizing the protests as somehow not a risk to spread COVID-19 was total bullshit. The number of deaths from such an event would vastly eclipse the number of deaths caused by police violence.

carlosrox

Banned
The whole thing is ridiculous really. Those pushing this nonsense shutdown are pretending that we haven't learned anything new since the beginning. They said it could live on surfaces for a long time, turned out to be false. They said you can stealth give it to someone else (you are killing grandma!), turns out that is really rare when not showing symptoms, again false.

They (the media) have whipped everyone into a frenzy, yet they have been hypocrites the whole time. Those calling for the masks wear them for televised appearances, but don't care otherwise. They don't shelter in place, they only talk about how you should do it. They cancel all events they don't like (holidays, Trump rallies, etc.), but then go on massive protests that suit their needs. Then they proceed to blame increases in cases on said holidays/Trump rallies, beaches, parks, restaurants, etc. while ignoring and flat out telling those gathering data NOT to ask about involvement in protests. Not to mention, increase in testing generally leads to increase in cases detected. If you live somewhere that is not testing anyone, chances are the number of documented cases will be extremely low.

I'm sick of all of the inconsistencies. How are day care centers open, but not schools? Why are we shutting down our economy when the mortality rate for people under 60 is similar to the flu? Why is everyone being quarantined instead of those that are vulnerable?

What is the plan? To shelter in place indefinitely? To ruin people's livelihood for something that will have to run its course no matter what? This "solution" is worse than the disease itself.

I apologize for the scattered nature of this post, there is just so much that is wrong with the current situation.

Eggs-fucking-zactly.

This is how you know it's all bullshit.

--------

The same people who applauded these scenes when they first saw them are are probably now taking showers, sleeping, eating, and fucking with their goddamn masks on.

(1:46 for relevance)

Last edited:
Top Bottom