• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else frustrated with people ignoring objective in online games? (BF4)

drproton

This happens a lot in Killzone, there are times where I am the only one setting up spawn beacons, healing, gunning to the objective. Playing that game without communication only makes me angrier.

I am part of the problem. I've been grinding my abilities and unlocks sequentially, using weapons and classes that aren't ideal for the situation at hand.

Skerj

Not just console, I have BF4 on PS4 and PC and it just. ..happens. Last Conquest match I played on PC had I swear at least half of our team as recons doing God knows what. I wouldn't even mind that much if they were doing shit like you know killing people near objectives and laser targeting all the bloody vehicles that were around getting the other team the win. Even my 2 squad mates were recon and pretty much just holed up at the top of an objective racking up kills the entire match. I spawned on them and since I'm primarily medic, I just kept getting points for squad heals and revives, and being an enabler since I got tired of dying every 2 seconds for being alone.

Another problem is I don't think people realize that you get a lot of points for getting new flags and shit. They think they're better off standing in one spot waiting for a kill than flanking a base, getting some quick kills PLUS possibly taking a flag for extra.

Obviously referring to conquest since I don't play anything else o_0

sleepykyo

On some maps I see as more than half of my team playing Recon

I've seen more than half the team devoted to spies and snipers in TF2. Doesn't matter if the team doesn't have any medics or engis, it can always use another third rate sniper or spy. So tempted to switch to the other side as a pyro and have weenie roast.

zulfate

lol amen. Literally no one seems stingier than the people with the ammo for some reason. It's like they don't realize they have the ability to put it out. And it makes a big difference!

Yeah what the fuck. I doubt any of these players are so new that they have no idea what the game is telling them. Your saying that when you play for the first time you naturally dont want to see what your class does? Why even pick one they have fucking names-assualt,engineer,support, and fucking recon and then as soon as you start you dont really need to look down but you can clearly see that if you press left ot right on the d-pad that there are tiny little icons....hmmm i dont know why not see what it fucking does. Why must we just kill no love for teams? :(

Lol i am bkred

When I get a bunch of sniper campers on my team, I just go and smoke grenade them till they get the picture. Probably not the nicest thing, but it does make me feel better.

Kanyon

In BF3 I really started to play to Win no matter the cost and that's when I started to notice how bad some of my team mates are, and how lot of people play some useless classes (like Recon in Metro, when we take out first set of objectives, why would you play Recon with sniper rifle in close quarters?). I saw more people running clueless, no one would spot enemies, which was so obvious, since in BC2 whole screen would shine like Christmas tree with enemy markers.

This is basically the situation I'm in at the moment... I fucking loathe scrubs who play sniper classes on close quarter maps. What is the freaking point? Snipers on BF3 Metro conquest was so bad, especially if one team was dominating the other team would just sit back and snipe. It was especially bad on 1500 ticket servers because it just wasn't fun at all. The best games were always the ones that were back and forth with each team fighting tooth and nail for the win - winning the match by a hair are the ones that are the most satisfying. Great matches consist of having excellent team mates that know their role, spot enemies and listen to team orders.

I always play for the win and don't give two shits about my K/D, I just want to unlock some of the better guns in BF4 and start having some fun. Playing the objectives garners greater points but I find myself playing it less and less on PC because it's just not fun anymore. It just feels too much of a grind to unlock any of the good stuff (you get the P90 for completing the final single player mission, who thought that was a good idea?) so I can be a better team member and start getting more wins under my belt.

It may just be my perception but the grinding seems to be extremely slow, too many good things locked away at higher tiers and stupid Battlepacks. Double XP weekend helped a bit as I managed to get the A-91, which is my weapon of choice these days but a lot of the PDWs I like to use are locked away too high. Doesn't help when I'm still trying to learn the maps as well which seems to have increased in difficulty. I'm only looking forward to Second Assault because I already know the maps.

Point is, BF4 isn't fun anymore for a number of reasons - Having a much better time playing Killzone and AC4 single player campaigns on PS4.

Valkyria

Banned
Yes, yes a thousand times yes. I just rage quit when my whole team just forget objetives in every game mode. Go and play another mode but fuck sake. Really I can not get my head around of how those people think that's the way to play in BF.

Grayman

Yes me too. I've found this game to be completely unplayable between the massive amount of vehicles combined with my awful starting gear (the whole set should be unlocked right away, fucking COD), and at least half of the opposing team playing Recon and camping. I wish we could get BC2 back but honestly with how popular the series has gotten it probably wouldn't help, the COD crowd would find a way to ruin that too.

Even BC2 had all the wookies on noob hill in the beta.

To date Splash Damage has done the best job at encouraging objective play in their games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gotta love Rush in battlefield. Attacking team and half of the people on 'attack' are laying in the grass, really helping a lot there!

From what I've seen a lot of it is the fault of the game in these cases. As long as K/D ratio is constantly flaunted publicly in these modes people will strive for it.

Satchel

Banned
I hate objective multiplayer so no.

I just want to shoot you. The more "pure" the experience, the better.

Hence why SWAT is Halo Reach/4 is the best MP available.

No radar, no perks, no streaks, no shields, headshot focus.

Perfection.

I have a long-standing hatred of Rambos in online PVP, yes, and when games reinforce it instead of teamwork, it's a soulless grind.

There was some commercial recently I caught during football that had some tagline like "Do you enjoy the thrill of rushing head-long into combat..." and I interjected "...then you're fucking up competitive game design for everyone"

Not played BF4, but what pissed me off and ultimately led me to quitting BF3 was when every server was privately owned and the aim of the game was boosting.
Fuck that noise, I wanted to play a war game.

alatif113

(in COD) What i hate is that people specifically join object game modes and dont play the objective, but rather just go for kills. Like why not just stick with TDM???? Makes no sense.

Doran902

i bought it on ps4 with premium and completely regret it

having to grind to unlock gear sucks
all the server issues suck
i cant play with my friends unless we get super lucky
the only map i ever get is havana for some reason
lose most games because nobody is even trying for objectives like you said

just, argh

This is especially bad in games where you have to depend on your teammates like left 4 dead. For your health, never play a quick match of l4d on expert.

As someone who consistently pretty much solo wins dom games for my teams in ghosts, a lot of people don't know how to play these modes OR they think the rest of the team will pick up the slack while they go TDM warrior for no good reason. Communication helps a lot. A LOT. Even if you're the only one with a headset on your team, you'd be surprised how willing people are to take direction and listen to your advice and if you call things out. The key is to be friendly and don't get mad. Getting mad is just silly and people will be much more willing to listen to you if you are positive. Don't talk shit unless someone really deserves it. If I see someone go 30-5 and zero captures and we lost, it is squarely their fault. If your team is doing well and has 2 points on lock, then hey, go nuts, but if the enemy makes a comeback you have to change up your gameplan and adapt. People are afraid to die in these games, or there's a really negative association with it(thanks kdr). I'd say probably a third of my matches I have more deaths than kills and I still top the leaderboard in those matches with people going 20-4 under me. Do what it takes to capture the objective. Learn, adapt, and you win.

Skerj

Even BC2 had all the wookies on noob hill in the beta.

To date Splash Damage has done the best job at encouraging objective play in their games.

Port Valdez Rush, generally about 4-5 people in those trees on the hill and that was a good chunk of the team in BC2. You know, for all of its problems, M.A.G. had one of the most consistently positive team based experiences I've played at that scale. Every time I played, everyone was just on their game and that sang louder to me than its other shortcomings. Starting to think it has something to do with characters being locked to a faction, people pay more attention.

I've been laughing for the past few sessions of BF4 since I'm a far better commander than infantry, I've been doing that instead. People ignore or flat out deny orders so much, they should let me penalize squad leaders for insubordination.

I can't really say I've noticed it in BF4. At least, not in Rush or Conquest. I mean yea you'll have some people off in their own world. Recon's gonna Recon. Fighter jets gonna fly around and generally be useless. But everyone seems to understand the importance of capturing and holding the objectives.

I haven't given any mode outside of TDM, Conquest and Rush a try yet, so I can't speak to any modes outside of those.

Killzone SF has far more problems with lack of teamwork than BF because it's primary mode of play is mixed. A little TDM, a little CTF, a little Zone domination. People don't adjust to the modes when they switch very well.

Elvick

Banned
If this is a more 'general' thread, then I hate this. Never played BF4 though.

I mean, I like playing with randoms. Or at the least, don't like being in a party and always try to do the objectives and even try to not run ahead of people so we can be... a team.

I played Resistance 2's co-op religiously. Maxed out all classes. dat medic though

And, there were a lot of people who would just run off and do their own b/s like it's a single player game. Which is b/s, because you can actually play the co-op mode offline...

It was really annoying with the engineers (can't remember what they're called in the game) who wouldn't throw down any ammo for anybody. Uggg, so frustrating.

Guess that's more "ignoring the point" of co-op than "objectives" since they just rushed to the end as fast as they could. Meh...

I remember playing Halo objective modes and having the problem a lot. People just went for kills, instead of the objectives. Why are you even playing objective modes? :mad:

People did that in Uncharted as well. I remember playing U2 in the treasure mode, and people would just kill the waves, not bother to try to get the treasure. :| Frustrating. Especially if they die all the time and need revived.

Kru

I only play recon, i play to win,

Also i used to play recon on metro simply to get a spawn beacon close to the enemy spawn so my team could always have opportunity to take A or C.

I dont sit at the back of the map sniping, I run from objective to objective, I spot all the time, no matter whether i can kill it or not, Now the recon has C4 I am even more use to the team.

I do sometimes stay in one place, usually i pick an objective that is always heavily contested, usually the one near the enemy spawn, and hold it out, i do my part.

Not all recon are morons, not all recon players just wanna sit at the back of the map taking potshots at the enemy in the hopes of getting a kill.

Infact, I have noticed as recon I do more for the team than playing any of the other classes, something about being a recon player pisses off the enemy, they actively hunt you down, keeping THEM away from objectives, especially if you kill them often enough.

I'm about to sleep so a quick not thought through idea from me: Make it so that the team that lost doesn't get their K/D count in their profile in any other mode but TDM, that way people would need to go after the objectives if they want their precious K/Ds :p And in the worst case apply that to points too...

Milennia

Not played BF4, but what pissed me off and ultimately led me to quitting BF3 was when every server was privately owned and the aim of the game was boosting.
Fuck that noise, I wanted to play a war game.

But the shotgun servers were fun as shit,

On topic, i only have about 4 recons per game at this point... Sometimes the occasional 5th or 6th until they get spotted.

But this is also true for the enemy team. So since i have a ridiculous amount of time played on this game, i know the maps pretty damn well.

I know where these guys set their claymores etc.
I know the roofs. I have even killed the same guy on flood zone.,, on the same roof that he kept on spawning on... No fucks that i know where he is and kept killing him... Maybe 8 times in a row before game end.

Its something that isn't easily fixed (or is if they limit the recon class, which does suck for those who enjoy it and play it well) yet its fun killing the bad recons who do nothing all game.

Good recons however spot, drop beacons and play the scout. Some are even a good shot and can clean an area before your team rushes in and arms or caps etc. or even defends by dropping claymores and c4 and just stares at a com or objective (lets just say com as staring at 1 flag isn't going to do shit), i have played with people who clear out objectives that the squad leader has marked so that we can go in. (This is obviously as rare as a unicorn, but it shows what a good recon can do) so just acknowledge that the recons OP is speaking of, are mostly damn terrible at the only thing they play. Pretty funny tbh.

But... This only takes about 1-2 dudes, not 4-6 to do the things i have mentioned,

Im not going to jump to a conclusion and claim these guys are from other games etc. as these guys have been in all of my battlefield games since modern combat.
For sure, some are from CoD, there are always people who switch between the two franchises each season.
But i was a CoD player back when modern combat came out (around the end of World at war if i recall) and i didn't play like that in the slightest.
I was a die hard CoD fan after 4 and 2, but i wasn't enjoying my very short lived time with Mw2, so i jumped ship and have every since.
I wasn't one of these players.. I didn't camp, i didn't even touch sniper rifles and i wasn't bad either.

Thats why i never throw every camper into the CoD category, because its simply not the case.

I think it has to do with the sniper rifle itself, people feel they need to camp due to the history of the main gun type of the class.
As well as the fact the game keeps track of a players K/D right on the main page of battlelog.
I would love it if the K/D stat didn't exist in battlefield... Its my single most requested overall change to the stat system.

Im a terrible shot when playing recon, so i just threw on some medium range attatchments when leveling the sniper rifles and actually PTFO while doing a recons job at medium range lol.

Its gonna take some serious changes in game design to get people away from the K/D ratio obsession.

This is NOT rose-tinted glasses talking: when you'd jump into a random public CTF/assault/whatever other gametype for a late 90's FPS, people ran the fucking objectives. I'm not a huge CS guy but I play GO because it has a community that, for all its faults, mostly plays the mode instead of the KDR game.

It has to be unlocks. They are undermining the entire purpose of the game. I have no interest in Battlefield 4 after my time in 3, because I couldn't find a solid group to stick with after a cool group I played with moved on. The game is pointless in public servers filled with people playing the game like its an XP grind.
Yep. People in CSGO definitely care for there KD but are usually first and foremost about teamwork. So good playing with yourself plus 4 other friends. TBH most of the random's aren't too bad, only the ones with no mic or who insist that they are the leader at all times.

Play Killzone Shadow Fall.

Honestly, the teamwork in that game is outstanding. Even the Scout/recon class plays the objective. Unlike in Battlefield, the abilities of the classes MAY be inherently selfish, but they benefit the team as a whole.

I know it can be frustrating not having teammates put down spawn beacons, but if anyone plays the 24 player Warzone, you are bound to see at least one person put down spawn beacons. More importantly, that game is make-or-break on teamwork. If you have it, you will destroy the competition. What's fantastic in KZ that lacks in BF4 for me is that KZ's class structures and abilities are so much more refined, restricted, and straight-to-the-point. No extraneous fluff in abilities, guns. It's a simplicity that is sorely lacking in Battlefield, and I feel that's a huge part of what makes Battlefield so frustrating.

IMO, if classes were designed with more unique attributes, perhaps we'd see more reliance on teamwork. Everybody is just a killing machine in BF.

BF feels horridly designed, and I feel that health feels lower, giving it a very kill-kill-kill feel.

Bad Company 2 felt like it had some solid teamwork, but I'm just not feeling it here. Very frustrating to see. It's incredibly chaotic too, and I don't understand why as BF3 on PC felt fine to me.

I wish they standardized spawn on squad leader...I just want some order. The chaos really makes everything feel like a kill-fest.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm one of those cod players however I played bc2 and bf3 PC.

I the way I run recon is aggressive sniper.....if I know I'm going to die I'm going to spot everything fucking thing in sight and laze a target for teammates. Basically if anyone is defending I'm the bait spotting and shooting distraction shots to get my team to rush in.

But when I went to play conquest the other day I saw the Enemy team basically acting like your teammates......always hiding in the exact same spots on the rock in the mountains. I spot and snipe.....move on throw some motions while rushing in whip out pistol and go to work.

Cap point start spotting and lazing while pushing.

It's recon not "I'm a sniper, I'm a sniper" lol

HariKari

Somewhere from BF2 to BF3 and finally to BF4, people ditched the notion that they are obligated to help the team in a team based mode. I don't really understand why. Teamwork is what makes Battlefield fun. There is nothing quite like bashing up against a wall of defenders on rush with your squad, only to finally squeak through and save the day. No other game can really recreate that feeling for me. Maybe TF2 in some instances.

But now when I play, half the team is recon camping in the hills with a beacon. They make no attempt to help the team in any way. And when you ask for help, people taunt you in chat, as if hoping for teamwork in a team based game is 'too serious'.

It is just a game. But it's also a game that is designed around teamwork, with most modes requiring it. I can't help but feel you sign a social contract of sorts when you log into one of these games that you won't be a total waste of a spot. I mean, we manage to not all kill each other every morning driving on the highway. Is it really that hard to drop ammo, revive, and head in the generation direction of the enemy/objective?

FIX:

Make it so k:d ratios aren't in effect during games that aren't about kills and deaths, and concentrate on doling points for the objectives being completed..

problem solved..

except most people who continue to play to up their K:D count would get bored with structured gameplay and leave the game en masse. that desire to always up that one area is the monster that modern FPS games have created. :(

Yes, why i havent played Warzone in KZ Mercenary. When I interrogate, people shoot my target, when i wanna hack, no one is guarding me or when someone is hacking, I seem to be the only one watching the hackers back. Good thing theres FFA aka Mercenary Warfare for me to vent on.

Iorv3th

You get some really bad rounds in rush. I had one round with 16 people sniping when we were on attack. So frustrating.

However had problems in every game, Halo 2/3 were really bad at times because people would just go for kills instead of objectives.

Battlefield should fix that though because you get a higher score for doing objectives. Although there isn't a tutorial or anything set up to teach the first timers. They don't know what to do so they just go for kills.

GetemMa

They need to boost the points for successfully setting the charges.

I mean somewhere over 1000 pts. Maybe bigger, like 2000.

And they need to boost the points for defending the charges within a certain radius of charges.

They could do this by working it in with XP.

Velcro Fly

It happens so often in WoW. You'd think the object of every battleground is just to chop everything that's red in the middle of the match.

I hate objective multiplayer so no.

I just want to shoot you. The more "pure" the experience, the better.

Hence why SWAT is Halo Reach/4 is the best MP available.

No radar, no perks, no streaks, no shields, headshot focus.

Perfection.

I uh.....oh boy

Lost 5 of 6 tonight because of idiots not helping the team. So pissed. I can go negative k/d yet have so much fun with this game but when I lose because of people who enjoy going 7-1 getting no objectives it makes me a little angry.

elcapitan

To be fair, sometimes the Support may not be running an ammo pack. I like to run Mortar and C4 sometimes. But on topic, I blame the unlock grind more than anything. If the game started everybody with class abilities already unlocked, people wouldn't be locked in trying to grind out new weapons.

njean777

I don't know which people you guys and girls are playing with but I have never really had this problem, I die the most from Assault classes actually, it seems everybody plays assault or engineer. I primarily play engineer for the rpg and repair abilities, but snipers are really not that big of a problem for me. If they just want to chill back and shoot that is fine, I will be on the top of the leaderboard with all my objective points, kills, and various other points. Then again I do not care about winning or losing, just that I am having fun and not dying over and over again. If my team is a lazy team and obviously doesn't care about objectives then I will just not care either, no point in trying to do objectives if people are not helping you at all. Just adapt or leave the game and hope you get on a better server.

Sean

Banned
This happens in a lot of games sadly. I remember in Halo Big Team Battle I would be like the only dude trying to capture the flag and do the objectives.

If you were lucky there'd be maybe one other guy on your team also doing the objectives, but he wouldn't wait or coordinate an attack, just take the vehicle and try to do things solo. So of course whenever I managed to grab the flag I didn't have anyone to drive me back to our base in the warthog or anything... Almost every game would end in a stalemate since nobody was doing the objective.

Frustrating as hell. I don't know why people pick an objective gametype and play it like Team Deathmatch.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I love when you can spot the CoD players a mile away. You shoot them and they auto prone

Yeah, I saw this for the first time in a BF4 match a few nights ago. I had jumped on a server that only ran Operation Locker, to see why my friend was so adamant about not playing on that map when we were playing the night before. I immediately saw why he refused to play it. I also grabbed a short clip.

I've had pretty good luck in BF4 so far, but I try to only play when I have someone to partner up with. It's easy to run shit if you're the only squad bothering with objectives.

Top Bottom