• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else frustrated with people ignoring objective in online games? (BF4)

Cornbread78

Thsi is why the MErcenary matches really suck in CoD, it should be a great option, but ruined by stat-padding and camping. You have to play as a squad in BF, so I'd only play if my online gaming clan members are playing, so I can be sure some other folks are working towards teh objectives and not just camping....

In life, there are generally two types of people. Those who try to make the world a better place, and those who only care about themselves.

Filling an objective based game with 20% of the later is going to ruin that game. The game is designed for teamwork. It is designed around an objective. It is not designed around your individual K/D ratio. It is not designed around points. I can't believe it when I read that people no longer revive because "they nerfed the points".

Seriously? THAT'S why you were reviving? Not to keep your team-mates alive so you could win the match? You were reviving for the points? SMH.

The answer is simple. DON'T JOIN OBJECTIVE BASED GAME TYPES IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING THE OBJECTIVE.

Thank you.

/rant

They already hand out more points for helping out and objectives but that margin should probably be even more widened. I am thinking of reviving, healing and delivering ammo especially.

I can't really think of how a recon class would help the team to be honest. Maybe by spotting enemies, or being able to launch UAV's?

But yeah, in an objective team game I'd just get rid of kill points all together. TDM would be the game type of gain EXP for kills.

BF4 is the first of the Battlefield games that I've spent anytime with on the multiplayer side...and while I'm not the best, I'll always drop ammo/health/attack the target. But so far the thing that drives me the most crazy is that rarely will anyone mark enemies.

Hello, I've been playing quite a lot of Battlefield 4. Before that I played every BF game on console and PC starting with first Bad Company.

Back then I was nub and scrub, but still I would play to win, and every match I would have fun, no matter how many times I died and generally people in Rush (my favorite mode) would always try their best to win, so every game was fun, even when losing, it would be pretty close games that could be won if our team would play a bit better. With BC2 I got better with the game, I started playing more aggressively, if I played Recon, I would always play with M14 and C4 to destroy buildings and objectives in Rush with any campers sitting in those buildings, otherwise I would play support to heal people. I learned how to fly a chopper, so IMO I was good asset to any team and I won more games than I lost. Game was still fun to play and I didn't notice lot of campers or scrubs, except for Anchorage map first spawn (Alaska Coast, forgot the exact name).

In BF3 I really started to play to Win no matter the cost and that's when I started to notice how bad some of my team mates are, and how lot of people play some useless classes (like Recon in Metro, when we take out first set of objectives, why would you play Recon with sniper rifle in close quarters?). I saw more people running clueless, no one would spot enemies, which was so obvious, since in BC2 whole screen would shine like Christmas tree with enemy markers.

Now BF4, I played on PS3 and now on PS4. While I have very good stats (not for bragging, just to prove my point - 2.4KD ratio, 3.1W/L ratio or around 75% of wins, I mostly play Assault and Engineer) I feel so frustrated with the game a lot of times, in first few weeks it was amazing, I would play with amazing teammates, but as more people buy console and game, I see more and more people trying to play Battlefield like it's CoD. On some maps I see as more than half of my team playing Recon.

Here is most radical example I had with bad team mates. I played a game on Hainan Resort, we were in attack, 10 out of 16 people on my team played as Recon camping on that stupid island between spawn and attack points. Knowing that some scrub would get into a chopper I tried to get in it first, and surely some Recon hero gets in it first, fly to the rocks to the side of enemy base jumps out leaving me to my death on passenger seat. I wait for respawn, want to see where LAV is, and surely it's on that god damn Sniper Pussies island camping with all the recons and spamming Zuni rockets and main gun at enemy base. Waiting for Little Bird to respawn, finally got into it and I just obliterate enemies, they pretty much all reroll engineers trying to take me down from the spawn point (area with trees/grass), so base is almost fucking empty. And what does my team do? Nothing, they keep camping on that fucking island.

The only The other 5 who didn't play recon where support and engineers, 2 of those were in LAV so I joined squad with 2 engineers and 1 support. Those guys tried their best to plant bomb on B, but enemies just digged in building and 2 guys couldn't do much, since 1 engineer was constantly repairing me because of Stinger spam. So what we do is LEAVE the chopper, all 4 of us go to B, kill everyone inside, PLANT the bomb, get back into chopper before it's destroyed/hijacked and we successfully defend B. But we tried to plant A over and over again with no luck, since it's easier to defend 1 point vs 2, and enemies would just constantly spam Stingers at us causing chopper to lose throttle.

I went 51-8 in the chopper, those 3 guys with me all had 20+ kills and less than 10 deaths, while morons on that Island had 5-10 kills but also 10-15 deaths because other team Recons could snipe them easily since all of the were on tiny island. Even with good stats and doing the best I can that match I just turned off the game and didn't go back to it for 3-4 days, despite double XP week. I was raging so hard and not like it's a single case, the more time pass since launch the more I see people playing stupid Recon class while not even doing that good in K/D ratios. Zavod 311? Half of the team is guaranteed to play Recon on that.

tl;dr CoD players jumping into BF4 as Recon make me rage.

P.S.
To prove it's not a story out of my ass, here is my battlelog, as you can see I play almost exclusively with Assault/Engineer, and my Recon is specced to take out heavy armor and get spawn points close to objectives.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Shizo/stats/170426396/ps4/

Delete if not thread worthy.

Great fucking post man. Sums up how I feel about BF4 and online mp perfectly. For me, playing online is barely enjoyable anymore for the very reasons in your post.

The problem is: I play support sometimes just for my mates I play with, and most of the time there is no ammo request upon their head, even if they ask manually with the common rose menu and they have zero shots left.

As assault, you can see the need for health, but as supporter, you can't always see who needs ammo. This has to be fixed by dice.

If you look at a support or assault, you should be able to press the "spot" button which sends an ammo / a health request directly to the player you look at.

No, if you are playing support, you should be throwing ammo boxes around whether people ask for them or not. It will automatically supply anyone who comes near it.

I'm not sure how many times I've tried to educate my team composed of 80% snipers (in the hills of course!) that no matter how good their combined K/D ratio is, we will never win a match holding ZERO flags.

Ticket bleed should be drilled into players and feared. I've been on teams that let all our objectives get overrun because we had a 100 ticket lead and they thought the win was in the bag. Of course then we end up losing with me screaming the whole time to cap flags...

sigh

besada

Banned
I am not very good at BF4. I'm still learning the maps and often find myself in weird locations, far away from the action, being useless.

But I do grab a flag when I can, and I do spot constantly, and I do drop ammo like I'm an ammo bag with a leak. Given my deficit in high-speed target acquisition (I'm old) those are the most reliable way for me to make points, and they make me feel better about contributing to the team.

Hell, if you need someone to run across an open field to flush out snipers, I'll do that for you, too.

todd360

You guys should play with me. (PC -- cannibalchef) I drop ammo like crazy. I usually end up pretty high on the leaderboard because even though I suck at shooting, I get a lot of points from ammo refills.

Unfortunately I am probably encouraging all these recon fucks because I often airdrop onto their locations, drop a bunch of ammo for them and then leave :\

I laughed as soon as I ready the first part. I just imagined you saying it more like this. No bro I shit you not. I drop ammo all day erry day. I drop ammo like its hot homeslice. YOU NEED me on your team.

I am not very good at BF4. I'm still learning the maps and often find myself in weird locations, far away from the action, being useless.

But I do grab a flag when I can, and I do spot constantly, and I do drop ammo like I'm an ammo bag with a leak. Given my deficit in high-speed target acquisition (I'm old) those are the most reliable way for me to make points, and they make me feel better about contributing to the team.

Hell, if you need someone to run across an open field to flush out snipers, I'll do that for you, too.

You sound like a fantastic squad-mate. Keep doing what you're doing--you're making the game more enjoyable for everyone. =)

Naked Lunch

Every Battlefield devolves to this. Its a shame.
At first its the shiny new toy - pure fun. After the honeymoon it all sets in and youre asking what the actual fuck people are doing in the match. These matches last 30-60 minutes a piece and im trying to win yall. Do your part.

This is happening to me already in BF4 - such anger! Time after time my team will lose all flags in 64 player conquest. This should simply never happen, heh. My Battlefield buddies dont have XB1 yet so im stuck toughing it out solo.

The problem 100% lies in the modern shooter K/D mentality. True Battlefield fans have been asking for the K/D stat to get removed from the scoreboard for awhile now. I can distinctively remember in old school BF2 no one giving a shit about their K/D. It wasnt a thing back then. It was all about the victory.

All that said, playing with friends solves almost everything. Nothing in multiplayer gaming matches well coordinated teamwork in Battlefield. Its just too fun and addicting. Although in 64 player matches, you will need help from at least some of your team.

I've said this a million times but we should just get rid of K/D

Players would bitch either way. It's like the whiners complaining about not having xp or leveling up in Killzone, why do they want this wen it has no purpose? People have grown way too accustomed to K/D rations and if the game doesn't include these stats people would be screaming for blood and saying how archaic the game is.

Derpcrawler

I agree with the OP. I go all objectives all the time. What bothers me about the OP is that he has to bring up his K/D ratio. People caring about their K/D ratio is the most toxic thing this new era of shooters has brought on and it literally ruins games. Last year I was playing Halo 4 capture the flag and someone in chat said I refuse to go near the flag because I don't want to ruin my K/D ratio. Seriously? Is K/D ratio something you bring up to a chick at the bar in hoping she will go home with you? People don't go for objectives because it ruins their precious pointless K/D ratio.

Did you miss part with my W/L ratio and my other stats on Battlelog? I have 5 Service stars for Assault and Engineer, and 0 (Zero) for Recon. My SPM is in 1st division as well as revives/heals/squad score. What I was trying to say - if you go for objective you still can do good, if not planting the bomb at least fighting on top of it and heal/revive teammates as well as providing ammo and not allowing enemies defuse it, or at least you can be just spawn point for your squad. You can easily look at those Recon heroes on Battlelog and even with all their pathetic camping in objective modes they still have shitty 1.5K/D and shit tier low skill/SPM and W/L stats barely breaking top 40-50% leaderboards. Bottomfeeders.

where are you at in the east? north or south?
Shanghai

StUnNeR H2K

I think the primary problem is unlocks, assignments or achievements. To many people go into the game trying to accomplish those objectives instead of the actual game objective. I think unlocks, assignments or achievements should all focus around winning matches and not focus on an individual accomplishment.

MadSexual

You sound like a fantastic squad-mate. Keep doing what you're doing--you're making the game more enjoyable for everyone. =)
I play exactly the same way. This kind of acceptance is very encouraging.

I've played a few hours today after reading throughbthis thread. While I always tried to play the objective myself, I assumed I was always one of those who just didn't get it. Now I see what you guys are talking about when I'm in game and agree that it's kind of baffling that only a third of my teams will try to get caps.

Neverfade

All too often the guy who's two steps out of range to hop in a jeep ignores my Need a Ride flag.

Hoofin it for 5 minutes again, sweet.

Armaros

The gotta grind for unlocks solo mentality of modern FPS have ruined the teamwork aspect of objective based game modes. In the past it was just K/D ratio that caused problems, now its K/D ratio and how generally, getting a bunch of kills gives you more 'exp' to unlock stuff.

elcapitan

I think if there was an in-game voice, like a Commander, that screams at the player for not doing his job (kind of like when you go out of bounds), you might see a minor uptick in teamplay.

JBuccCP

I agree it's in large part the absurd amount of unlocks that promotes this type of me first behavior. Hell I'm not immune to it. Every time I unlock a new gun I just think "guess I better grind on that one so I can unlock accessories that actually make it useful." Scopes and shit should just be universal unlocks for the whole class. Or at the very least let me choose the one I want to unlock. Then the vehicles are even worse. You basically have to just go on suicide runs against opponents that way outmatch you before you can unlock enough stuff to have a fighting chance.

Top Bottom