• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone else going through open world fatigue?

I haven't played any of the Assassin Creed games, so no.

The open worlds in the games I have played have never gotten in the way of me enjoying the game, even when I didn't find said worlds to be great themselves — you can so often beeline right for the next mission/point of interest that it seems silly to let an an open world be a problem. If the open world being boring is a huge problem, the core game probably isn't worth your time.

I almost never understand how so many people here seemingly try to complete absolutely every little objective in a given open world game, then complain about it. It's all optional.

Tigress

Nope, just wondering where I am going to get the time to play all the games i want to play this year. I just wish some of these came out last year cause last year sucked! But I absolutely prefer open world to linear (and even better, sandbox games). It's not that I dislike linear, I just don't prioritize those games as much and definitely in general don't see them worth as much money cause they're so short (and I don't want them to be long, I usually tire of them 75% in).

I am guessing I'll just have to spill some over into 2016 and not worry if 2016 has anything good (it can be a backlog year like last year was. Where I play games I've been meaning to get around to).

FootballFan

Yeah I am.

Prefer the 8-16 hour single player "linear" games atm.

But I'm still really really excited for MGS V and Fallout 4.

Open world fatigue? No. Ubisoft open world fatigue? Absolutely.

I really like their games but this thing they have done where all of their titles have the same type of filler missions and map markers out the whazoo makes me not even want to pick them up.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get into open world games, the way missions are structured just bugs me or something, and the novelty of going wherever you want wore off after the first couple of GTA games.

When I was playing Sunset Overdrive I kept thinking how much more fun I'd have with properly designed levels. When you have a clear beginning-middle-end sequence, it's much easier to create something memorable imo.

The amount of collectibles in Sunset Overdrive made me stop playing after I beat the game. I liked the story and getting the weapons, but I have noticed the repetition when defending the vats and picking up everything in sight.

Saints Row 4 was tolerable if you did the quests for your homies, some items made you stronger and offered background for the characters, so at least it didn't feel mundane.

Fallout/Skyrim played like an RPG, where every little quest had a story behind it, or there was some piece of gear you really wanted (katanas baby!). The world was open and large, yet felt so small once you finished everything.

GTAV after beating the game, I couldn't do the collect a thons. I did one for the sunken parts for Michael, at least got closure with that but didn't bother with the alien parts.

Infamous made sidequests a bit more interesting as you were a superhero/villain. I didn't mind collecting stuff there as it added to the experience and lore rather than just an achievement trophy.

TLDR: Some games do it right, some just don't

Clockwork5

I just stick to the main story quests/missions. Then chuckle when I beat the game with like 10% completion.

I'm usually fatigued on any game after a couple dozen hours or so.

Sblargh

Banned
A little bit. I feel like the entire genre has devolved into icon hunting at this point.

I'm still up for open world if it's like Salt or The Long Dark. But "Open World" as a code for "look for the next icon on your minimap, then go there in as much as a straight line as possible, with fast travel if available" is not doing anything for me anymore.

Hunter S.

Not, yet. I purposely did play Bloodborne after Far Cry 4 instead of the Witcher 3 so there would be a break in open world games. Mostly because open world games are really long if you actually do a ton of everything..

Last open world game Ive beaten was GTAV...and probably only cause the city itself was small and the story was awesome and really not too long.

Every open world game after that I never finish.

Played TW3 and it was good/beautiful the first few hours but then it got yawn worthy.

Almost every quest Ive done:
-go find somebody so i can give/tell u something

Cant even find the motivation to play it again cause the combat isnt that good either and voice acting is terrible.

I just hope Arkham Knight and MGSV's open world and story and missions arent boring and keep me in it till I finish them

Dimorphic

I am feeling the same way but it's my own fault. I feel that if I don't "clean" the map in the game I'm not doing it right.

I just need to get over it. I'm loving The Witcher 3 but it can be tiring. I've also just got TES Online as well. And Batman soon.

emag

Pretty much the same for me, was so excited for witcher 3 until I played DAI then got so sick of open world.

The Witcher 3's open world side quests are arguably worse than DA:I's as for it was easy to ignore the shitty quests in Inquisition and stick to the fun ones whereas in TW3, it's unclear which side quests are shit and which are interesting.

Yes I'm giving the Witcher 1 last chance to quickly get interesting before I send it back to gamefly. Can't believe I've had it for weeks and still can't get past act 1. It's the worst opening to a RPG perhaps ever. Its like Persona 4 just 20x longer and less interesting.

And the world isn't very interesting either.

Really it depends on the world I guess and how you are meant to experience it. As long as the exploration and discovery remains interesting the game could be infinite. Some games have that ability to keep you going from point to point almost knowing something is cool around the world. Some games use the open world as a bullet point , it seems anyway

Cathcart

Wit her 3 is the first one I've really enjoyed. I was never big on the open world stuff before but I can't put this one down.

Garuda1One

Sitting here playing witcher3 and thinking to myself either I have adult ADD, or damn these games are too long.

Then I look at my games and notice that I've started but haven't finished:

Far cry 4
da:I
Witcher3
Infamous second son
GtaV
Watch dogs
Dying light

These fetch quests are killing me. Anyone else?

Ritalin me if old.

Your backlog is similliar with me, I have

AC black flag
AC unity
Watch dogs ( never learned my mistake with ubi game)
Far Cry 4 ( yep )
DA:I

Dude, try to finish dying light.. Its awesome !

I cant say im fed up with open world, im at around 25 hours into witcher 3 and still going strong.. I think im fed up with ubisoft's open world with boring towers..

KorrZ

I thought I was, but Dying Light first and Witcher 3 now showed me that, no I wasn't tired of open world games I'm just tired of crap games that are open world for no reason.

Pretty much the same for me, was so excited for witcher 3 until I played DAI then got so sick of open world.
Don't let bad open world games take away your hype for the good ones. Witcher 3 is a legit masterpiece, batman, xenoblade and mgs5 are going to be epic it would be shame if you missed out on them.

Pizza

I've become WAY more picky about open worlds. The genre really isn't for me. Minecraft is great, I love it, Lego worlds looks cool too!

Assassins creed, far cry, and Bethesda games do little to nothing for me. Gta is fun to cause problems for the NPC characters in but the questing bores me.

I like extreme focus for stories, I think. I like big open world sandboxes too though, but the halfway point isn't super fun for me. Also I like MMO games!

Some open world games feel like an MMO minus any of the M, M, or O. That's kinda where they lose me. I'm real worried about the new Zelda's "you can literally go to that mountain"-ness but we'll see I guess!

DJIzana

Nope. Absolutely not... one genre I'll never get sick of. RPG's and even sandbox games (besides almost every Nintendo game) are really the only games I still enjoy playing. Hope to see more.

Nose Master

I think treating it as the natural progression of a series and/or the holy grail is shitty. Not every game has to be or should be open world. See: Arkham City. Awful.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've been burned on trying to be a completionist in open world games too long now. I think Assassin's Creed Unity was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

At this point I stick to the main missions at best. Too much walking around doing nothing or at best doing stuff that isn't as compelling as the main story. I think developers need to cut it out. The race for hundreds of hours on content is just killing the industry imo. Focus on a solid core. Making giant-ass worlds no longer impresses me. Give me quality, not quantity.

I think treating it as the natural progression of a series and/or the holy grail is shitty. Not every game has to be or should be open world. See: Arkham City. Awful.

I don't think Arkham is necessarily a good example of a bad use of it, but I agree with your sentiment.

Arkham City did lose a little something there, but I think the idea is that an open world, when executed properly, allows the player to feel more engaged with the universe and makes the whole thing more tangible.

It's really kind of always been this way. People thought Mario 64 was huge when it was released. And it immersed people in that world because of that.

It doesn't need to be a rule though, I agree.

Yep. Taking a big break from Witcher 3, way too open world,its crazy,need a break. Broke out my Atari 7800 and godamn,its simplistic and its beyond fun though. Going for breaking old high scores on old classics is the break I needed from open world gaming.

Dragon age had too much fluff that had no real pay off. Witcher 3 provides side stuff without it feeling like an ubisoft formula game. Its pretty cool and I love that about the witcher. You can seriously miss a lot of stuff if you don't explore the question marks.

Reset

I like linear games. It makes it so I don't "waste" my time when I get lost, and I only have limited time to game anyway.

I'm definitely burned out on open world games that are really filler-heavy, so I haven't played any in a while. Maybe I'll go back to them in the distant future. I just don't have the patience for 100 hour games in general anymore unless the gameplay is consistently rewarding and fun.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It all depends on execution for me. If there isn't too much filler and fetch quests I'm fine with open worlds. Still like playing Elder Scrolls games, while I just can't get into Shadow of Mordor. =\

Aces&Eights

Yes. The same thing happened with FPS for me. I played Rainbow 6 BA, Vegas 1&2, CoD 4 for hours and hours and hours at a time. Around the BF3 and MW2 days I started to get fatigued. Now, I can't play any FPS that is just a run and gun.

The mind just gets tired of the same ole same ole. I still do enjoy some open worlds but the days of running around Skyrim doing mindless quests, going from point A to point B in GTA and FAr Cry are over. I just can't take it any more. Bloodborne and Souls are the exception and I think that is because the actual game play is so goddamn good that I just stay engrossed. Witcher 3 is so well written and has such great diagloge that even when I hit the 50 hour mark I still wanted to see what happened even if I grew tired of riding Roach all over the damn place.

My faith is now in Fallout 4. I hope to GOD it isn't Skyrim with guns.

Timeaisis

I'm with you, OP. When I break down how much time I spend bored moving from one place to the next or mindlessly competing the same quest objective for the fiftieth time versus the time I spend actually enjoying myself, it's like a 60/40 split. That's all to much for me.

I want to be able to take 10 minute slice of game and have a good chance I'll be having a good time. Open world games don't have a great shot with toys metric. Feeling like I'm wasting my time is not an experience I typically enjoy.

DAI and TW3 have made me feel fatigue, for sure. As do most open world games these days.

Don't get me started on Shadow odd Mordor...

Yes. I was thinking this the other day.

The Witcher 3 drained me (amazing game though).

Absolutely. The Witcher is taking a lot out of me. I think I am done for awhile after I finish this. I am 40 hours in. The game is brilliant, but it's draining. I have to have a simple game in the middle of an open world game to break-up the long play sessions.

SmartBase

I'll probably never go back to Bethesda's consequence-less and static open worlds, but seeing as I don't play open world games that often anyway I'm not bored of them just yet.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not at all. For one. Wild Hunt is the best open world I've played in years.

For two. I don't try and buy every single one that releases.

Skipped WatchDogs, dying light. Infamous was over a year ago..

Far Cry 4 didn't take long at all to finish, polished it off rather quickly. But didn't try to exhaust myself by going 100% or anything either.

DA:I admittedly lost my attention after a while, though I do plan on going back to it. But that was more the individual game than anything regarding open world fatigue.

Pumped for Arkham.

hal9001

Banned
Thats the trend of the current market I guess. There has been a backlash towards linear corridor games like The Order:1886

Thats the trend of the current market I guess. There has been a backlash towards linear corridor games like The Order:1886

Which I don't feel is fair. The Order isn't a very good execution of that but there are plenty of games that do linear well. I don't like that it's become a dirty word.

Ralemont

not me
I've never enjoyed open world games. I tolerated it in Dragon Age and will do so again when I play TW3 in order to experience the good stuff, but I will always value more compact, directed experiences more.

RedSwirl

Not if it's done right.

If it's an Ubisoft open world game with towers and mostly collectables with a main quest, it's boring as shit.

Games like Dying Light did Open world mostly right IMO. And of course, you cant forget about Fallout 4. Bethesda does that shit right.

One and done.

I'm just tired of so many games doing it poorly by mindlessly dropping useless loot all over the place and solely guiding people with waypoints. I plan to jump right into Witcher 3 though.

Nope, love it more than ever.

With exceptions, an open world game is automatically better than a linear one due to the exploration it offers. Half the time I play Horizon 2 it's just to cruise about in random cars not actually doing anything, and yet I come back to it way more frequently than your average circuit racer.

Kacho

No chance. I love it when games offer the freedom to explore. I'm tired of linear, scripted games though. Have no patience for them anymore.

robotrock

Banned
i thought i was but then i played the witcher 3 and realized that the problem wasn't me, it was just other open world games

Dragon Age Inquisition made me feel fatigued.

Then The Witcher 3 made it all good again.

Depends on the game really, sometimes I ignore the open world 'activities' and just focus on the main story.

No way in hell am I going to even attempt to 100% something like Arkham Knight for example, all those Riddler challenges, nuh uh.

This.

After Dragon age and the little I played of Far Cry, I was seriously getting fatigued by it .. Then the Witcher 3 came along and I completely fell in love with it again and wish the world was even bigger and more varied and now I am beyond hyped for Arkham Knight.

Keen on Fallout 4 as well. Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and Fallout 4 are probably the one open worlds I need this year and the next lol.

Top Bottom