• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we just going to pretend that Cyberpunk+Phantom Liberty isn't some of the most incredible gaming out there?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don't get this anger at other games releasing complete, being praised by the community. Its like you guys are fucking pissed no other game is fucking up near what CP did.
I don't see anger towards any other games. I'm just saying that Cyberpunk left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths and they wrote it off even after it was fixed. I already said in the OP I can't blame them for feeling that way. However, if you're willing to give it another go, I encourage you to. It's that good, especially the DLC.
So much great games released this year, I just don't see this DLC deserving of my time or money. We'll see maybe late next year on sale or something.
The DLC is better than the base game in my opinion. I don't know if you've played TW3, but I also think it's the same situation there with both DLCs having a much more compelling plot and better quests than the main game. They really nailed the spy drama/thriller without turning this into a slog where you do nothing and the player has tons of agency.
I honestly had a little too much of an overwhelming feeling with all the mechanics and upgrade paths that seemed trivial. Is this better in the DLC?
You mean the leveling system? Have you played it since 2.0? The way it works to level up and upgrade hasn't changed but the perks and gameplay balance have been completely overhauled. A shitton of good games this year and I played a lot yet Phantom Liberty remain among the standouts. BG3 is probably still number 1, but I got a bit burnt out with Act 3.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I don't see anger towards any other games. I'm just saying that Cyberpunk left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths and they wrote it off even after it was fixed. I already said in the OP I can't blame them for feeling that way. However, if you're willing to give it another go, I encourage you to. It's that good, especially the DLC.
NP, I'll still check out the DLC, simply later next year due to time and already having a backlog of other games I want to play. At this time, I just can't put a DLC ahead of so many other games that released complete and working that are being praised this year, so I'll still check it out, simply not at the moment.
The DLC is better than the base game in my opinion.
Shiiiiiiit I believe you lol

The DLC looks like what the base game should have been anyway imho.

Smaller scope, focus on what the team actually can do etc. part of me hopes the second game is just smaller in scope, the base game did nothing for me.

Bojji

Yet none of those patches are core fucking elements missing added 3 years later.

lol yea, they don't have to deal with the next gen, complex, revolutionary idea of bad guy drive car...., they must have it easy /s

I don't get this anger at other games releasing complete, being praised by the community. Its like you guys are fucking pissed no other game is fucking up near what CP did.

Soooo yea, people tend to like games releasing complete, intact, working, functional elements, that sorta of thing.

"Core elements missing" were added because some people were constantly bitching about them and those element weren't core to CP, they were core to GTA games and some other open world action titles and people for some reason expect every open world game with cars to be like GTA. It's nice to have those things but game was completely functional for what it was trying to do from day one (minus shit ton of bugs), you had mission segments (similar to DE) and cars were only to get between them, not really very important element of gameplay - same for police system. Game wanted to tell stories it had, open world traversal wasn't the main focus.

But I know there is no point in discussing this with you, i know you spread your opinion about this game (since release) in many threads and there is almost no way you will change it.

Bojji

ikr people out here expecting a city to have cops that can drive cars, like be for real /s

What change does it make to the game, to completing missions, to upgrading your character, to make dialogue choices?

This shit was fun for 5 minutes in GTA Vice City (my first GTA game).

EDMIX

What change does it make to the game, to completing missions, to upgrading your character, to make dialogue choices?

This shit was fun for 5 minutes in GTA Vice City (my first GTA game).
The trailer shows V being chased by cops in cars and shows V shooting at them from a car.

The game literally has a prototype of their ai driving around in a cop car that was spotted..

Finally, the idea of having this function is not based on "GTA", they themselves stated this living breathing city and i don't understand the idea of making such a fucking claim, yet struggling with 2001 PS2 elements that are base features in open world games in such cities. So I see no evidence that this was added based on people "bitching" and merely that like many elements, it was stripped, wasn't complete etc.

An enemy using a vehicle is not some wild fancy feature, that might be one of the dumbest takes I've heard in a very long time.

That is a standard idea in any game, with vehicles lol

Do you know how fucking weird it would be if ANY game, never mind GTA...ANY FUCKING GAME released with such a claim, yet enemies couldn't drive cars, but cars existed in the game riddled with "Crime"?

oh..so the bad guys do everything but steal cars and they can't shoot from cars or?

That sound like horseshit man lol

It makes very little sense and its just a L you'll have to take on this.

Saints Row Reboot failed with some of those features lol Its not like we all were like "ok folks, if it has cops driving and bad guys can drive cars, we start the score at an 8" lol Nahhhhh its an expected feature if one is making an open world game with such a narrative and such elements already in place. To act as if its some fancy demand is just being obtuse at this point.

Last edited:
We're not pretending shit, this isn't Era. Cyberpunk in its current state is one of the all time greats.
jamie foxx thats just the truth GIF by BET Awards

Majukun

We're calling the third act of BG3 intact and complete now?
tbh, yes?

it mostly contains content that carries from the previous 2 acts, but i've spent an ungodly amount of hours doing all the content around baldur's gate, certainly not less than i have done in the previous ones.

it is a little jarring that you go from 2 acts where every single character leading or being part of a quest, to a big city with a lot of people that are mainly scenario dressing, but in terms of quantity and quality of stuff, i have not noticed the big dip I anticipated after hearing first impressions.

also in term of bugs, only really encountered two that were noticeable
wyll questline breaking after i stumbled on and killed the dragon before saving his father, and laz'ael t-posing on orin's altar during the final fight with her

"Core elements missing" were added because some people were constantly bitching about them and those element weren't core to CP, they were core to GTA games and some other open world action titles and people for some reason expect every open world game with cars to be like GTA. It's nice to have those things but game was completely functional for what it was trying to do from day one (minus shit ton of bugs), you had mission segments (similar to DE) and cars were only to get between them, not really very important element of gameplay - same for police system. Game wanted to tell stories it had, open world traversal wasn't the main focus.

But I know there is no point in discussing this with you, i know you spread your opinion about this game (since release) in many threads and there is almost no way you will change it.
the issue with day one cyberpunk was not that it wasn't enough of a gta clone, is that it was not (and probably still is?) much of an rpg either.

it is in that awkward middle position where it is good at both, not amazing in either

Last edited:

Bojji

The trailer shows V being chased by cops in cars and shows V shooting at them from a car.

The game literally has a prototype of their ai driving around in a cop car that was spotted..

Finally, the idea of having this function is not based on "GTA", they themselves stated this living breathing city and i don't understand the idea of making such a fucking claim, yet struggling with 2001 PS2 elements that are base features in open world games in such cities. So I see no evidence that this was added based on people "bitching" and merely that like many elements, it was stripped, wasn't complete etc.

An enemy using a vehicle is not some wild fancy feature, that might be one of the dumbest takes I've heard in a very long time.

That is a standard idea in any game, with vehicles lol

Do you know how fucking weird it would be if ANY game, never mind GTA...ANY FUCKING GAME released with such a claim, yet enemies couldn't drive cars, but cars existed in the game riddled with "Crime"?

oh..so the bad guys do everything but steal cars and they can't shoot from cars or?

That sound like horseshit man lol

It makes very little sense and its just a L you'll have to take on this.

Saints Row Reboot failed with some of those features lol Its not like we all were like "ok folks, if it has cops driving and bad guys can drive cars, we start the score at an 8" lol Nahhhhh its an expected feature if one is making an open world game with such a narrative and such elements already in place. To act as if its some fancy demand is just being obtuse at this point.

This is problem with both CDPR marketing (that probably was misleading many times) and your expectations.

You can complete game and have no interaction with NCPD, this is not core gameplay element, in GTA5 police chases and part of main missions. You know what I'm talking about now?

I can agree with you that maybe they should have never make this game open world like that, more like bigger version of Deus EX MD or Witcher 2 with hub world, play on their strengths.

SteadyEvo

The base game wasn’t all that. Loads of dialogue with small snippets of gameplay followed by someone talking my ear off again. Then moving through a bland open world to the next talkathon. I’m good

Bojji

The base game wasn’t all that. Loads of dialogue with small snippets of gameplay followed by someone talking my ear off again. Then moving through a bland open world to the next talkathon. I’m good

RPG games are full of dialogue, I don't know what you were expecting. Story is the main focus here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hated The Witcher 3. Wasted my money. Controlled horribly and felt awful to play. I bought Cyberpunk in 2020 to give them a chance and had to sell it. I'll try it again maybe when its $10.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s good, with some great peaks in there. I’m not a huge fan of some of the edgy dialogue and slang and stuff but I could overlook that.

For GotY though I’d still count Zelda or Mario Wonder higher

Last edited:

Exentryk

It's pretty amazing. The expansion has completely changed the gameplay mechanics, so you essentially got to play two different games. The gameplay is even more fun I feel and lots of different builds are viable and more importantly, fun to play.

The story-telling is better than most movies and it is a very immersive and intriguing experience. Highly recommended!

ungalo

The expansion is great but after 3 years i wanted even more honestly. Pretty disappointed that it doesn't connect more with the original game and the original characters, it's really its own thing.

And the new contracts are really good (way better than the contracts in the base game) but at the end of the day they're still contracts. And that's most of the side content.

thief183

2.0 + phantom liberty, transformed the game from a 7/10 to a 9.5/10, if the game would have came out like this we would have been talking about the game to end all games. I'm not talking about the open world but the whole skill system is breath of fresh air after the "dress locked" crap we had before.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I honestly had a little too much of an overwhelming feeling with all the mechanics and upgrade paths that seemed trivial. Is this better in the DLC?
The upgrade paths are COMPLETELY different in 2.0. Doesn't matter if you have Phantom Liberty or just the base game, they completely changed this. And there's a much stronger sense that you are specializing your character and getting meaningful upgrades. A lot of the abilities are totally new.

I think you may have missed all the love it's been getting since Phantom Liberty dropped? Heck the OT has been mostly positive since patch 1.6?

confused dan levy GIF by CBC

b0uncyfr0

How?

Sure the world is somewhat interesting, animation's are shitty though. Gunplay is nothing new. Quests are not witcher3 level.

Ive been playing 2.0 for the past 5 days and its ok thus far, nothing amazing. I have no fkn clue how ppl finished this game before this patch, it wouldve been so average.
And i personally diont give points for how good it can look, that means nothing to me if the world is dead.

WitchHunter

Banned
Just finished the DLC after beating the 2.0 base game and holy fuck was this good. This game's disastrous launch will forever mar its reputation and some will never forgive CDPR for what they did (and I can't blame them) but for those willing to give it another shot, please go right ahead. The DLC is even better than the base game and I feel that's truly the Cyberpunk CDPR envisioned. Much more player agency and almost every quest involves input from the player on how things will pan out. The base game doesn't have much of this beyond the background responses that just give different dialog options that ultimately amount to nothing.

The quests are so well written too. None of that fetch-quest garbage. So much good dialog, voice acting, and creativity in them. No two quests are alike and some are damn tear-jerkers. This point leads me to the final one; the main quest of the DLC which to me is significantly better than that of the base game. Idris Elba, Keanu Reeves, the girl who voices So Mi, and everyone else is bringing their A game for this. The combat is also improved overall but the only problem is the level scaling but meh, I can get over that. More options on how to tackle challenges and new toys to play with for different builds. All are viable and satisfying to play. Brawler, stealth, hacking, gunner, ninja, you name it and it's fun and viable. Besides that, there are some fantastic, bombastic setpieces that don't just have the player sit on his ass and watch but have them be part of the action.

With that said, I can't wait for whatever CDPR brings next and hope to god that they take their time this time around because had Cyberpunk released in this state even in 2023, it would have been lauded by critics as a crowning achievement in gaming.

I know everyone is creaming over BG3 and Alan Wake 2 which rightfully deserve the praise but don't sleep on Cyberpunk 2077, and don't let the bad initial reception deter you from the game now. It's well worth your time.
PL is a tube. Do what we say and you'll be ok, otherwise fuck off. The visuals are the best in the world tho. That's unparalleled so far.

Last edited:

JayK47

I'm honestly not in the mood to play the main game again just to get access to the DLC. Kind wish the DLC was standalone. I have played the main game twice already and there is nothing new to do besides the DLC. I could care less about new guns or cars or whatever was added recently. I'm sick of beta testing shit. Seems I should not have pre-ordered it and should have waited 3 fucking years for the final game.

Bojji

I'm honestly not in the mood to play the main game again just to get access to the DLC. Kind wish the DLC was standalone. I have played the main game twice already and there is nothing new to do besides the DLC. I could care less about new guns or cars or whatever was added recently. I'm sick of beta testing shit. Seems I should not have pre-ordered it and should have waited 3 fucking years for the final game.

You can start DLC from main menu.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have to say as much as I love 2.0, I am not as crazy about the obsession with bosses that cloak and run away and heal.

I'll grab it on PC this time around, CDPR suck at console controls for shooters. Halted my two attempts at play throughs, first was launch bugs and poor perf, second was shit shooting controls.

The DLC and going PC instead with M+KB should finally be the sweet spot for me. Now I just have to finish the OG campaign first then DLC.

If you dial in the controller settings correctly in the menu its very playable with a controller.

Top Bottom