• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else noticing McDonalds watering down their sodas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
This Burgerking I went to in Florida had the nastiest tasting coke I've ever drank. Wish I had a bottle/can of it on that day.

statham

Start asking for no ice and watch your life get better.
fuck that, and the only way to drink fountain soda is with no lid or straw, straight from the cup with half ice.On a hot day in florida, that shit is delicious, unless the manager waters down the shit, or if carbonation machine is running low. (been playing alot of GTAV, in the black guy voice)

JDeluis

Only thing I've noticed is their $1 Large Cups have gotten smaller. They went from a plastic material to a paper cup material like the medium size was using.

GavinGT

Banned
Why would Coca Cola even allow them to do this? They're the one servicing the machines, and it would hurt their brand to do so.

You probably went in during times when the syrup was low. Congratulations. Thirty minutes later after dude manning the fries was sent to exchange the containers, the next customers got the best soda of their lives.

Is it not a simple case of the syrup running out?

Whole point of the thread was I've noticed it happening at multiple McDonalds, but few who have posted a reply seem to have read that far into the OP to understand that. Whatever. I also said it was over the course of a few weeks, but I guess the snarky comments are par for the course when trying to talk about food on gaf.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I always ask for no ice after watching Robert Irvine show the inside of a drinks machine on Restaurant Impossible, apparently the ice compartment is one of the filthiest places in any kitchen and is often overlooked when cleaning. The gunk inside put me off ice for life.

diamount

Banned
My local Taco Bell has been this way for months. Pepsi tastes like watered-down Baha Blast. Baha Blast is watered-down. I think a lot of our local fast-food places have faulty machines, even some convenience stores.

Faulty machines? Nah, it's definitely intentional.

At least it's not a Coke Freestyle machine. Those things manage to shit up every permutation of Coke product I've ever had from them. And they're EVERYWHERE now.

The only thing I can think of is they replaced their old soda machines in the drive thru with the automatic drink dispensers. Even then your drink shouldn't taste any different unless all the stores around you weren't filling up the cups with the "mcdonalds standard" amount of ice which I'll admit is a lot. Machine automatically does it correctly so that may explain the difference, but it shouldn't be that drastic.

Zoe

Only thing I've noticed is their $1 Large Cups have gotten smaller. They went from a plastic material to a paper cup material like the medium size was using.

They're styrofoam around here.

Whole point of the thread was I've noticed it happening at multiple McDonalds, but few who have posted a reply seem to have read that far into the OP to understand that. Whatever. I also said it was over the course of a few weeks, but I guess the snarky comments are par for the course when trying to talk about food on gaf.

They might all be the same franchise or are serviced by the same tech.

At least it's not a Coke Freestyle machine. Those things manage to shit up every permutation of Coke product I've ever had from them. And they're EVERYWHERE now.

Be sure to purge the spout for a few seconds before getting your own drink. That said, all of them around here taste like it's out of the can :\

FrsDvl

Here in Canada you now have to get your own drinks. And while dispensing you can tell it's mostly water. Stream keeps going from black(coke) to clear(water). Same goes for the other pops in the machine.

Billen

Banned
...more so than they usually do?

I know this sounds anecdotal, and it might be (hence why I'm asking), but I've been to three McDonalds in my area the last couple weeks and both my friend and I noticed that AT ALL 3 MCDONALDS their soda machines were very watered down.

Now normally this wouldn't be that interesting. But we both couldn't help but wonder that since McDonalds has kept their $1 any size soda promotion...that this could be their way to counter giving away more soda at less price. The promotion is popular, bringing in more business, so they keep it...but at a cost. Again, tinfoil hat maybe, but that's why I'm asking. Anyone notice something similar?

I have noticed McDonalds trying to water down *.*

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't eat fast food often and I can't recall the last time I was at a McDonalds, but a couple months ago I was at a Burger King with my dad and he complained about how their drinks from the "new" machine didn't taste right. Some kind of machine where there's only one dispenser and you select what you want off a touchscreen.

Google indicates this is what I'm referring to.

Zoe

I don't eat fast food often and I can't recall the last time I was at a McDonalds, but a couple months ago I was at a Burger King with my dad and he complained about how their drinks from the "new" machine didn't taste right. Some kind of machine where there's only one dispenser and you select what you want off a touchscreen.

They don't taste right because you get some of the previous drink in there.

Diet coke at mcdonalds ( I know a diet soda at a fast food restaurant). Is terrible, it tastes entirely different than at any other restaurant, fast food or otherwise. I can't drink it, I'll get tea instead every time I go now.

Prax

Here in Canada you now have to get your own drinks. And while dispensing you can tell it's mostly water. Stream keeps going from black(coke) to clear(water). Same goes for the other pops in the machine.

I am pretty sure that's how it works. It's carbonated water + concentrated syrup as far as I know. Which is why fountain drinks taste different from bottled/canned ones. Freshness!
And when you get your own drinks, it's usually free refills! So not sure why you are complaining. lol (Unless an employee mixes the wrong syrups or something)

Every Fast Food Resturant does it, the only one that its super noticeable at is Harveys for me. Their Root Beer/Dr. Pepper tastes like water with a hint of syrup.

Sculder

Neo Member
Diet coke at mcdonalds ( I know a diet soda at a fast food restaurant). Is terrible, it tastes entirely different than at any other restaurant, fast food or otherwise. I can't drink it, I'll get tea instead every time I go now.
By "tea" do you mean sweet or unsweet?

Jarate

Banned
McDonalds uses Coca Cola, which means that the soda machine is not controlled by the store. Coca Cola does the maintanence on the soda and sets up the machine because they want to avoid companies doing what op is saying, since that is a poor representation of their brand.

OP, what most likely is happening is that you are starting to notice flavors better and your pallete is changing due to being older. You might be noticing the carbonated water a lot more in your older state.

sweet up to that line at the bottom of the cup, then unsweet in the rest is the only way i do it nowadays. used to always get the sweet but damn that shit pure tastes like diabetes now.

According to their nutritional info a large sweet tea has 220 calories and 52 grams of sugar.

A large coke has 280 calories an and 76 grams of sugar.

:eek:

Now it is recommended people consume no more than 20grams for women and 36 for men.

C-Drive

Every McDonalds I go to, I typically order a Coke or a Dr. Pepper.

Shit tastes like fruitopia mess every time.

As someone else here mentioned, I too seem to have the best experience with Wendy's soda. Perhaps it's because they don't let you serve yourself and monitor the fountains more closely? In other self serve fast food places, the fountains tap out of syrup and no one tends to them for long periods at a time.

MarkusRJR

I went to McDonald's twice this week for a soda during my break and both times they gave me really shitty soda. Tasted really bitter.

Salsa

i'd be scared of going to McDonalds enough as to notice a slight difference in the water on their sodas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom