• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else over 2D Mario Bros?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im playing a bit of New Super Mario Bros U.

The first video game I ever played was Super Mario Bros NES. I was salivating for Mario 2, and Mario 3. Got a SNES at launch with Super Mario World. Loved Mario All Stars. Yoshi Island. Played New Super Mario 1 and 2 for DS and 3DS. Played New Super Mario Bros Wii.

At this point I think there isn't anything that could make me really excited or realistically ever want to play another 2D platforming Mario game. I think I finally have had my fill lol.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
A little bit. I loved my time with World earlier this year, but it also felt like I had finally played all there was to play of these amazing games.

I don’t know what to think of that. Maybe I’m just temporarily burnt out, or maybe I’ve just spent thousands of hours jumping on Goombas and collecting mushrooms, and as wonderful as it was, I’m just done, unless the 2D formula evolves like the 3D one has.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
DentalAnyAfricanwildcat-small.gif

cireza

Banned
I liked the level-design of Lost Levels. It felt like it expanded the concept for more experienced players.

Sadly Nintendo don't do this. All their games are made to cater to ages 3+, so we have been simply playing the same thing since SMW. Novelty wore off a long time ago.

Last edited:

Business

Yeah can't say I'd be very excited for a new 'New' Mario game, specially with Mario Maker existing. I'd rather get 3D World style games instead, the true natural evolution of 2D Mario.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think if they made a new, and 2D sprite, Mario game, but actually brought new mechanics, enemies, etc., to the fore, the whole thing could possibly reinvigorate itself.

1988’s design can’t be mined forever. There’s only so much you can be wowed by kicking the shells, getting the same variations-on-a-theme power-ups, or stomping on Goombas.

Multiplayer and DIY represented two external attempts to freshen things up, and they were great, even glorious, but this series needs an internal, from-the-ground-up rethink to ever have a sequel.

Astral Dog

On the contrary i would love a new 2D Mario that isn't part of the MarioMaker brand (or New Super Mario Bros) basically less rehash

Nintendo just isn't willing to make one for whatever reson

Kazza

Im playing a bit of New Super Mario Bros U.

The first video game I ever played was Super Mario Bros NES. I was salivating for Mario 2, and Mario 3. Got a SNES at launch with Super Mario World. Loved Mario All Stars. Yoshi Island. Played New Super Mario 1 and 2 for DS and 3DS. Played New Super Mario Bros Wii.

At this point I think there isn't anything that could make me really excited or realistically ever want to play another 2D platforming Mario game. I think I finally have had my fill lol.

Could something like this tempt you back?

protonion

The "new" visuals and sound have to go.
Seriously how many games now? 6?

The style sucked from the first (DS?) game and they still go with it.

Furthermore 2d Mario games aren't that good anymore.
3d Mario? Still king.

But I can think of several 2d platformers I'd rather play than Mario.
Donkey Kong, Rayman, Celest, Meat Boy...
He has been dethroned.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm not over 2D Mario, but I AM over "New" SMB games.

I want a return to proper 2D SNES-style Mario with sharp controls and no "Bah Bah" music.

Ya what is with that Bah Bah music? Its so grating.

Could something like this tempt you back?

It looks interesting, but I dont think doing the same thing in a sprite style would be enough. Sprites are cool but it needs to be switched up much more.

Kazza

Ya what is with that Bah Bah music? Its so grating.

It looks interesting, but I dont think doing the same thing in a sprite style would be enough. Sprites are cool but it needs to be switched up much more.

Yeah, the gameplay is very similar to the other Marios. Then again, if Nintendo ever were to switch up the gameplay too much then lots of fans would be pissed.

LarknThe4th

Nope, they still encapsulate to me the true art of videogames, that kinetic thrill you get from pressing a button and seeing the character move, no other games nails that feedback quite as well as 2D Mario

Super excited for what they will bring to the series next, Super Mario Bros. U was sensational as was the Luigi levels

Moogle11

Banned
No. Still enjoy the them personally. I’m mostly over 2D platformers in general, but still enjoy a Mario game every few years. The nostalgia from growing up with them, SMB being the first game that really got me into gaming etc adds enough tjst I still enjoy them despite not really being a fan of the genre anymore.

I’ve been playing thru the 2D Mario on the switch , and after playing thru games like Tropical Freeze, Celeste, inside , Ori , hollow knight , etc ... it feels like the most generic , flat , even grandpa can play style platforming. Perhaps that’s the point , as Ninty chooses capital over artistic integrity when it comes to very certain franchises. (This is very obviously not applied to all the first party devs. I’m harshly critical cuz I heart them and want them to be better. )

I think there is also the fact that 2D Mario isn’t really an entry point into video games anymore , and with the release of Mario maker , it feels there’s no way Nintendo can go back to releasing that type game. Let’s hope they decide to put in the epic creative effort that we see often from their 3D outputs .

WoJ

Honestly, I prefer 2D Mario over 3D Mario. I've always struggled to get into games like Galaxy or even Super Mario 64. But the 2D Games? From the original, to SMB3, SMW, to the NSMB games....I can play this all day every day.

Jeeves

Have you tried Mario Maker? It breathed new life into 2D Mario for me. I've always liked to geek out about level design, so it's amazing for me to get to play the role of level designer myself, especially when I can stand on the shoulders of the giant that is Mario with its well-tuned motion physics and stuff. I could never give Little Big Planet the time of day because the physics just looked awful to me.

Anyway, if you have any interest in level design, definitely check out Mario Maker. Now I love revisiting Mario games both old and new to seek out design inspiration for my own levels.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was over it by the time NSMBU came out. But I didn't really love NSMB Wii or NSMB 2 all that much either.

There's something about the series that really makes me think of that slice of Wii era where Nintendo said "fuck you" to the core gamer and was mostly concerned with going after the non-traditional gamer.

Yea, for the reasons many have stated already in the thread.

An additional reason, for me: The NSMB series seems to lack challenge, which -- combined with uninspired level design, pedestrian new "power ups" and as others have mentioned, the terrible "bah bah" music -- makes the games quite a bore. From what I remember from my playthroughs, my biggest challenges (if you could call them that; I'm talking within the NSMB series) came from the first NSMB game and the Luigi sections of NSMBU. NSMB Wii, the main portion of NSMBU, and especially NSMB2 were all a bore.

As someone mentioned above, for my 2D platforming fix, I go to Rayman, Donkey Kong Country, and other series. I don't really care much for 2D Mario anymore.

(Not exactly on topic, but I'm wondering if I'm starting to feel the same effect with 3D Mario as well. Odyssey, while it has amazing production values and some cool stuff, left me relatively uninspired....)

BigBooper

New Super Mario Bros U is a bad game. The music is bad, the art is bad, the controls are bad. I wouldn't use that as a basis for judgement. I still enjoy loading up Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, and Mario World.

My favorite I think, is not strictly a 2D game, but it's presentation is. 3D Land. I really hope we get a game with more focused levels in that style. I haven't really loved a new Mario game since 3D Land.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
DGrayson DGrayson I'd like to report OP for console warring.

Too much of a good thing and all that... I think Nintendo has been wise to largely keep 2D Mario limited to one title per gen. Mario Maker is mostly its own thing and they no longer have to worry about a handheld and a console. That said, I think we did see some fatigue with Mario Maker 2 and NSMBU DX releasing in the same year 6 months apart. They need to be careful not to make that mistake again.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Can’t say I’m with you here... I’d buy a 2D Mario Nintendo would put out day-1. Even the lesser quality entries in the series have been fun and worth playing.

Although I’d be much more excited for a new 3D Mario (Odyssey 2, Galaxy 3, etc).

I never like 2D Mario, the only time I got into Mario games was with Mario 64 and then later Galaxy 2. I remember briefly enjoying the first one on the Game Boy but it didn't last.

I appreciate that I'm not really the intended target of this thread. However, I do think there's an issue with Nintendo endlessly recycling their franchises.

I loved Zelda on the SNES, N64 and GameCube but it's hard to get excited about playing it again and again and again. It's the same with Metroid. Great games but it would be nice if they came up with something new once in a while.

I think the problem is they've become so limited as a company that they only seem interested in one type of game. These games are all very well designed and executed but they just don't interest me anymore.

I've just finished watching High Score on Netflix. The Nintendo they show there (innovative, cutting edge, relevant) seems long gone.

Last edited:
New Super Mario Bros U is a bad game. The music is bad, the art is bad, the controls are bad. I wouldn't use that as a basis for judgement. I still enjoy loading up Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, and Mario World.

My favorite I think, is not strictly a 2D game, but it's presentation is. 3D Land. I really hope we get a game with more focused levels in that style. I haven't really loved a new Mario game since 3D Land.

Hmmm, I'd accuse NSMBU of a lot of stuff -- it's uninspired, it's boring, it lacks challenge -- but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad game. It's perfectly playable, and I had no issues with the controls (at least when I played the Wii U version; I have not played the Switch version so I don't know if there are control issues there). It plays perfectly fine. It achieves what it sets out to do -- introduce a new power up (the flying squirrel stuff, and parts of levels are clearly designed around that, from what I can remember), provide a multiplayer experience, etc.

I'd go as far as to say that NSMBU is overall the best "New" 2D Mario game.

On a side note, I agree with you that 3D Land is amazing.

kunonabi

Nah, still enjoy 2D Mario quite a bit. I'd certainly take more 2D Mario over more junk like Odyssey at the very least.

I should clarify my stance -- I agree with the OP that I'm over 2D Mario, for everything after Mario World. All the NES games (yes, that includes Mario 2/USA), and SMW are amazing, and I play through that quartet of games at least once a year. I will likely replay those games forever. SMB3, in particular, is one of the greatest games ever made, regardless of genre.

But the direction 2D Mario has taken since the first "New" Super Mario Bros:

f59.gif

Top Bottom