• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else sick of Tolkien-esque fantasy game setting?

We have a million and a half different cultural inspiration for video games but it's as if the only one people tend to be inspired by is the typical elves, dwarves, tolkienesque works. Games like GoT Legends and Nioh dive into more western fantasy, but why don't developers take a risk with something that isn't your typical "fantasy" setting? We can do RPG's set in a Mesopotamian fantasy world, or running around slaying mesoamerican Brujos. It would be cool to see developers , specifically rpg developers try something new with their settings.

There's a lot of RPGs that are not set in typical fantasy setting. Some examples:

The alternative seems to be sci-fi or post apoc...more so looking for fantasies that utilize different cultures. Something like ES: Redgaurd where it seems to be more inspired by middle eastern culture.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

Jeeves

Never liked it in the first place. It's the only fantasy setting that's such an instant turn-off that it practically makes certain media essentially invisible to me.

Dragon's Dogma was good enough to break through that, though.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Jennings

Sure, I don't mind scenery changes. Games like Sekiro & Dark Souls are a great escape from D&D & Tolkien tropes.

Fallout 1 is my favorite RPG of all time and is one of the few games to completely immerse me in something new and mysterious.

I've heard nothing but good things about Disco Elysium.

I think my favorite D&D type RPG Icewind Dale 2, but that has as much to do with the streamlined experience compared to the bloated Baldur's Gate games as it does the cold, harsh setting. Replace Bugbears with Globberdanks and I'm sure I'd still have a good time.

Tolkienesque D&D worlds are comfort food for me, and sometimes it's just like going home again, but the setting itself rarely makes or breaks a game for me.

Bryank75

Banned
Incredibly tired of it....

Elden Ring has other stuff going on that makes it more original but the other run of the mill fantasy settings are played out.

There are other aesthetics, there are other periods in history to be inspired by... use you imagination a bit more.

Games like GoT Legends and Nioh dive into more western fantasy,

Don't you mean, eastern?

And to answer your question, yeah risk is the reason. Tolkien-esque fantasy is popular and its popularity can be evidenced in the popularity of TV shows like GoT and book series that sell incredibly well.

Its tropes have become almost synonymous with the fantasy moniker going all the way back to the early popularity of Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer and all those early properties that most of us grew up with.

I'm all for devs trying things new and experimenting with non-traditional fantasy settings. I for one loved Jade Empire and wished it had become a franchise. Modern Bioware, however, would probably fuck it up.

I prefer medieval fantasy, but I agree I'm tired of the same races, monsters with a new backstory. Elves, dwarves, etc. Be more creative and create your own stuff.

Give me more Taru-taru/Lalafell and less beer drinking dwarves where even the women have full beards.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i love the tolkien fantasy stuff. those books are still the best fantasy books so everyone is right enough to rip it off :)

but yeah i don't mind if people try something different.

Last edited:
I’m not necessarily tired of it, but I would like to see more variety. Give me a hardcore action RPG with a setting based on Aztec/Mayan mythology. Or maybe a game besides Prince of Persia can try the Arabian Nights aesthetic.

The cause of this is D&D style European mythos inspired fantasy is just the most familiar to most gaming audiences. Japanese/samurai settings are up there too, but that’s not really a surprise considering the majority of games are made in the West and Japan, so European and Asian influences were bound to be the most prevalent. It’s easier to write/create based on what you know/have been already exposed to.

Also in todays political climate I reckon they at least have to consider that making a game based on a different culture will attract claims of “cultural appropriation,” like when twitter lost its mind that a western studio made Ghost of Tsushima. Meanwhile actual Japanese people liked the game. For any game that has to make back its money it’s much safer to just make a D&D style game to try and please/not offend as many people as possible.

But if it weren’t for people in different cultures being inspired by other cultures we wouldn’t have something like the Souls games. Miyazaki is a huge D&D nerd so he made games about what he likes and people love them. He didn’t think “hey I’m not European, so I should just stick to Feudal Japan,” as that would obviously be ridiculous. I wanna see more risks because the creativity and novelty is what makes games worth staying invested in.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sick of high fantasy games? There’s been like, 2 worthwhile mainstream ones in the past 10 years? Skyrim and The Witcher 3. Personally can’t wait for Avowed, looks fuckin sick. Hope there’s loads of sexy elves.
i forgot that game existed lol. i was hyped for it but we've heard nothing about it. i hope it turns out good.

i also wonder what Elder Scrolls VI will be like. Witcher 4 better have lots of hot witches + elves :)

Meicyn

Gold Member
Closest you’ll get are probably MMOs. You’ll generally see a Middle Eastern themed expansion pack rear its head at some point. Everquest 2 did Desert of Flame. Final Fantasy XI did Treasures of Aht Urghan. And so on.

samoilaaa

We have a million and a half different cultural inspiration for video games but it's as if the only one people tend to be inspired by is the typical elves, dwarves, tolkienesque works. Games like GoT Legends and Nioh dive into more western fantasy, but why don't developers take a risk with something that isn't your typical "fantasy" setting? We can do RPG's set in a Mesopotamian fantasy world, or running around slaying mesoamerican Brujos. It would be cool to see developers , specifically rpg developers try something new with their settings.
no , and you know why ? because there are not that many good ones , maybe once a couple of years a good medieval fantasy rpg releases , tell me since the witcher 3 in 2015 how many medieval fantasy games released that were as good ?

KXVXII9X

This setting has massively overran it's course, both in movies, books, and gaming. I would personally like more grounded games set in present time revolving around more mundane things. I feel like I'm growing out of the escapism fantasies of these settings. I wouldn't mind though settings based in African, Mayan, Aztec, or Hindu mythological settings. Just anything different from the typical medieval and sci-fi settings.

Javthusiast

Banned
Very much so. Then again I always preferred sci fi and wish we had more epics set in space.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Sick of high fantasy games? There’s been like, 2 worthwhile mainstream ones in the past 10 years? Skyrim and The Witcher 3. Personally can’t wait for Avowed, looks fuckin sick. Hope there’s loads of sexy elves.
I think you are leaving out a ton of JRPGs and non RPG's set in a high fantasy setting. Please, let's not kid ourselves.

Not for me, it’s gotta be my favorite setting. But I can get why some want other settings, but what do you want the theme to be? Renaissance, pre-history, eastern themes, a mix of high fantasy and sci-fi?
I prefer the high fantasy settings for the sole purpose of being up close and personal with your attacker. Yeah I’m that guy

Aion002

Nope... I love them. Also...

Love It Ro GIF by Rosanna Pansino

name them .. any in the last 5 years. I can only think of like 4 maybe 5 total.
Even if you can only name a few from the past 5 years, theres even less no "traditional" fantasy games. Like After Origins we have basically 0 games set in egypt that could be considered an RPG and thats a more interesting setting than your traditional fantasy setting imo due to the bio diversity you can get.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc
For those of you asking what about other cultures' fantasy and lore, this is why, sometimes, diversity hiring and diverse dev teams can be a good thing and has some importance even if some here dislike it. Kena, Guacamelee, Aurion: Kori-Odan, etc wouldn't exist without such diversity. Give them time to grow before you get their versions of a Dragon Age, Skyrim, Shadow of War, etc.

Nope, not sick of it. Tolkienesque fantasy is the best type of fantasy, when done right. It's more interesting than the endless boring Fallout-style post-apocalyptic stuff.

Wildebeest

Tolkein-esque fantasy has a very particular flavour. The sort of D&D type fantasy that the gaming industry leans on is much more watered down, even more Disney-esque in a way. What with all the silly anthropomorphic "races" and "I'm the one special princess" or "I'm a super hero" type power fantasy stories. In the Tolkein-esque fantasy, power is a bad thing which is corrupting.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Even if you can only name a few from the past 5 years, theres even less no "traditional" fantasy games. Like After Origins we have basically 0 games set in egypt that could be considered an RPG and thats a more interesting setting than your traditional fantasy setting imo due to the bio diversity you can get.
giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone has different tastes.

I like the traditional D&D/Tolkien kind of setting, as well as gritty apocalyptic kinds of settings. That's my tastes in general for adventure/RPGs.

But for RPGs involving anime, robots, lasers and missiles, etc... not interested. Not interested in modern day settings either.

Reyziak

I would like to see less Tolkienesque fantasy. Give me something that's more Robert E. Howard's Conan or Kull. No elves, no dwarves/dwarfs, no orcs. Just humans, serpent men, ape men, abnormally large animals, and Lovecraftian horrors.

So basically, just DND if all the Tolkien was stripped out, which to be fair, was how Gygax originally wanted it, but added Tolkien elements because his friends asked for those elements, and Gygax loved money.

Last edited:

Holammer

Nah, the "traditional" high fantasy setting is great. If you have millions of dollars to burn, by all means... Try something different.
In fact, developers should look at the Isekai genre to improve the formula by making games based on the tropes and conventions found in them. I want my big tiddy elf waifus and maid catgirls.

Reactions: Isa

Matt_Fox

No, I love them. Tolkienesque high fantasy is the bedrock of the genre, and if anything there's not enough of it.

Who knows how many years it well be before we get Avowed and The Elder Scrolls VI?

Top Bottom