• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else switching from Console/PC to Switch for future indie multiplatform games?

As a guy with a wide variety of gaming platforms, whenever I had a choice of platform for a multiplatform indie game I'm interested in, I almost always go for the PC port. Reasons include competitive digital store prices, genuinely better performance, and access to modding tools​.

Like some of you here, I recently acquired a Switch for my own and it threw a huge wrench into this situation. The ability to get all my handheld gaming and unconditional, anywhere-at-anytime couch multiplayer anywhere on a nice feeling console like the Switch is a huge game changer. I'm always down for gaming​ on a couch setting but nothing beats whipping out a handheld on during my commute or when winding down on a long day by chilling on my bed.

I have a 3DS but I typically only get exclusives on it. As much as I like it, its library of multiplatform games tend to be pretty poor and its subpar screen resolution don't do them any favors either.

PC gaming is great too but you never feel right sitting on a desk for extended periods of time. Single screen multiplayer is out of the question as well. So is moving my tower to the living room too, if anyone tries to bring that up.

Anyway, it looks like Nintendo is serious in attracting a many publishers into porting their games on the Switch as possible. Potential performance issues aside, I'm aiming to get future multiplatform games on the Switch for now on. As of this moment, I'm looking forward to the Switch ports of Sonic Mania, Bloodstained, Steamworld Dig 2, and Yooka-Laylee. Also considering double dipping on Shovel Knight too.

Anyone else making the (literal) switch to the Switch for future multiplats?

Hari Seldon

Indie games are like dirt cheap on PC during steam sales lol. Maybe if there is some super special indie game that I want to pay full price for and would make sense on mobile.

dugdug

Banned
I'm switching (oh god, these puns will make me break the console in half) from Vita to Switch as my indie machine of choice. The video they put out of all their indie partners really sealed the deal for me with buying the console.

Nah. If the argument is portability, there are devices fulfilling that for PC and consoles. Whenever it is streaming OR native solutions.

BriGuy

I tend to get the best version of the game available to me. When that happens to be the Switch version, that's the version I'll get.

ryushe

I don't know what it is, but I'm honestly not a fan of playing indies on my PC, so unless absolutely gimped, I'm getting all of my indies on the Switch from now on.

Take Binding of Isaac for example. I've owned that game for years on the PC and only put maybe 10 minutes into it. Got it in the Switch and I've been playing it everyday since launch. The option to play it on my break, during my commute, waiting for appointments, in bed, etc. is just too strong.

ExoSoul

Banned
tumblr_lwhcchZYDv1qdetkro1_500.jpg

AmuroChan

I go where the best deals are. I usually pick up indie games during Steam or PSN sales. We'll see whether Nintendo will have sales comparable to those.

Clearos

That is how I am using it. PC will be for the major titles, long play time games, sports games.

I have the switch for indie and Nintendo games.

Once there is a good PC handheld I would be game but I like my indie games on demand aka when my wife puts on a horrible tv show.

tim.mbp

I like forward compatibility, sales, and DRM free games too much.

OP: have you tried a Steam link so you don't have to move your tower to the living room if you can't.

Interfectum

Yeah, most indies I get from now on will be on Switch. Having those games on the go is far more valuable to me than being tethered to a TV or monitor.

The Boat

If it wasn't for humble bundles and such, absolutely, 9/10 times graphics aren't high end so it'l be the same on Swirtch, except portable so fuck yeah. I'll consider playing many on Switch over PC though, no doubt.

gogojira

Yep, save for ridiculous Steam deals anyways. It's nice to have small games on the go and a very easy to carry system.

Unless performance is a major issue, which for many, many indie games that shouldn't be the case, I'll get it on Switch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe some pick up and play ones I want on the go as I'm not interesred in the portable pc options.

Otherwise I'll mostly get on PC as indies are so cheap during Stream sales and other deals.

I like forward compatibility, sales, and DRM free games too much.

OP: have you tried a Steam link so you don't have to move your tower to the living room if you can't.

I have a Steam Link but I don't have the adequate network equipment to stream my games well.

I already have a Vita with a huge indie backlog

This thread was for future indie and multiplatform games.

Yeah, likely. The portable nature makes it super appealing. I love having indies on the go. I have a killer PC and a PS4, but Switch seems like it'll take the indie spot from my Vita.

Nah. I don't care much for handheld gaming (mostly docked), and I'd rather get the best possible performance/visuals and customization options (ReShade) on PC. Game prices are also better on PC, so that's another incentive.

Shari

I appreciate the fact that I can play local 2 players without the need for an extra controller but not enough to go through nintendo's pricing.

Cut the prices that we're seeing in half and I would buy them for my Switch instead of on Steam.

Phawx

Knowing the freedom that Steam allows with Key Generation, what I wished developers did was a type of cross play solution.

I.E. you buy on Switch and within the game itself on the Switch, you could grab a unique Steam key.

This way you'd only have to buy once and could play at home or on portable.

Dave Lee was arguing this in his video of it. I thought it was an interesting idea- I have no idea how Indie games feel to play on Switch, but I'd like to give it a try. He seems to be convinced that indies can carry Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, stopped playing most indies on PC a while ago...backlog is too big and i never get to play them anyway. On Switch/portable the likelyhood of me playing them is just much higher.

Especially local player coop stuff will shine on Switch. So yeah unless the game is pushing graphics and is a playable mess on Switch - thats where im getting Indie titles.

Miker

I don't have a Switch yet, but as a definite future owner, the thought has crossed my mind. That said, Humble Bundles, Humble Monthly, Steam sales/card/wallet discounts, etc are unbeatable, so it'd be hard to justify the extra cost, even for portability.

I won't be switching from PC/console to Switch, as much I'll be switching from Vita to Switch. I like my indies portable, and this looks like the way forward.

Interfectum

Knowing the freedom that Steam allows with Key Generation, what I wished developers did was a type of cross play solution.

I.E. you buy on Switch and within the game itself on the Switch, you could grab a unique Steam key.

You're in luck with the Switch then.

maxcriden

Depends on the game. I'm used to getting indies on Wii U, and with new indies now coming to XB1 and Switch I will choose between them on a case-by-case basis. I don't have regular opportunities to play games on the go so it will come down to how the game reviews on each system, performance, and which controller I feel more like using (no ProCon yet so it's XB1 controller vs. Joy-Cons for me, and I do like both of those).

Widge

I would absolutely do this. I prefer to play "bigger" experiences on PC, and having a full suite of awesome indie portable gives the title and edge over being tethered to home/console.

Volotaire

It depends on the indie game.

If I switched all my future indie purchases fromto the Switch, it would cause a huge increase in costs because of the large price differential between Steam keys, in sales and bundles, relative to the eShop.

If there is a significant drop in framerate that affects the flow of the gameplay, it would affect my decision too. Resolution isn't a factor.

Therefore, for a few indie multiplayer and huge timesink single-player games, that are more suitable for my commute, I will be purchasing on the Switch. For example, Stardew Valley would be better suited for myself on the Switch.

phanphare

Banned
depends on the game. for 2D games I'm all in on Switch. perfect place for them especially because of dat screen. for anything else it just depends.

Widge

Nah. If the argument is portability, there are devices fulfilling that for PC and consoles. Whenever it is streaming OR native solutions.

What solutions?

I mean you can't stream from home to a train, so isn't portable, and I don't think the portable PC hardware scene is really there. I'd consider a Surface for it but the form factor of a Switch is way better.

prudislav

definitelly not switch , especially with current prices of games there, but on other hand i am quite considering of getting GPD Win for my indie needs aka to get through my huge indie steam library ;-)
But not sure if I should get current version or wait for second generation of the device

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
100% yeah

my PC is for AAA 3rd party showcase games

being able to play indies like Enter the Gungeon and Stardew Valley in bed or while on the subway seems like a no brainer to me

Absolutely. I backed Shovel Knight on Kickstarter yet for whatever reason never got around to playing it on PC.

But on Switch everything is just 1000x easier and less of a hassle. I've probably put 30-40 hours into Binding of Isaac too on top of my 100 in Zelda. It's really the ultimate convenience console for me personally. Hell, any multiplat (that makes it to Switch) I have interest in, indie or not, from now on I'll be buying on Switch even though I have a pretty good PC.

Shari

Im sure there's a legal contract either on Valve's or Nintendo's side that forbids to do this.

It would be SO amazing. Although that would stop Valve from getting their cut.

I'm one of the converts, OP.

PC is obviously still my primary indie platform just based on the sheer number of indies available, and the regional pricing, but I've already spent more on Switch digital games than I have on my PS4 for the entirety of its life (a launch unit).

I mean, I have a laptop aside from my regular gaming rig which I can use to play my Steam indies on the go, but it just doesnt compare to the Switch's Vita-like flexibility. Wake up from sleep mode, playing a game in seconds.

molnizzle

I was planning on it. And I really, really want to make the Switch my primary indie machine... but the lack of d-pad in portable mode kind of invalidates the entire reason to do it. The indies aren't really portable if I can only bear to play them on the TV with a Pro controller. Might as well just stick to PC or PS4.

Most likely yeah. I buy a lot of indies on all platforms. They add a nice touch to any system, and being able to play some more "complex" indies on the go is one of my main reasons for buying a switch outside of zelda (which I could have just bought on my Wii U)

Now the wait for Spelunky.

As long as performance is on par, I'll favour Switch versions in the future for its portability, but probably only for couch games and new releases, because I doubt Switch will be able to compete with the PC/PS4 in terms of deals.

Top Bottom