• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that switched from console to PC - thoughts on your choice?

SScorpio

If I had some Ethernet tools i could hook up to the Ethernet jacks in the living-room and the computer-room and measure the length between them and know exactly how long a HDMI between the two rooms would have to be to reach, but I bet it's at least 100+ feet.
I'd be very surprised if it ended up being anywhere near that. Sure if you have some gigantic mansion, but Ethernet runs in a standard home on average tops out at 35-40' or so.

It's roughly 10' to do a run from one story to the next and standard room sizes are 6-8' wide. The larger McMansion-style houses are 25-30' on a side. So going from a corner in the basement into the attic of a colonial, across the entire thing being wasteful by having the cable hug the outer wall to have a drop on the opposite side of the house on the 2nd floor would still be under 100'.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That’s only 50ft. So with bends ( with optical you are suppose to loop the bends ) securing it and then running it cleanly to your tv you get what 20 to 30 feet total to work with?
Also How do you get usb?

Best thing is to just build a dedicated gaming pc and hide it in the room where you play. That’s what I do.

Maybe one day kvm over ether will be good enough but it’s just not there yet.
You can put it repeater / extender and run USB alongside same conduit over Ethernet. It won’t be cheap but also won’t be terribly expensive.

But yeah, easier to put PC in same room or say behind a wall.

Just would like to know some experiences or the positives of switching from people that have changed.
My last PC was boxed away in 2005. The last games I played were Civilization IV and Starcraft. In January 2022, I bought a gaming laptop (Intel i7 11800H with RTX 3060) and use it with an LG C1 OLED.

I wouldn't say that I "changed", as owning a gaming PC made me realize that console gaming is still equal, if not superior. Even though I can get the "comfy couch" experience with a PC and controller, it still isn't ideal.

I can run games at 4K/60 with DLSS, but many games still have hitching/stuttering due to "shaders" or whatever. It's stupid. A game could be running at 120fps and still not be enjoyable to play due to the random hitching. Console games don't have this.

PC gaming is digital only. This means that you must wait for a sale before buying anything. It's madness to pay full price ($90+ CAD after tax) for a digital game. So, you absolutely must wait for a sale. This means that you rarely want to play games at launch.

The greatest benefit to PC gaming is the refund periods on digital games, which no console has. This means you effectively get a two-hour demo of any game.

I only play games on PC that are clearly intended for PC (Stardew Valley, Civilization, Baldur's Gate, Slay the Spire, Counterstrike, etc). Most games are just more comfortable and enjoyable to play on a Nintendo Switch or PS4/PS5.

Last edited:
The most profound thing I noticed after getting my first pc about 3 years ago was just how poor an experience console players often got by comparison.

I remember playing Red Dead 2 on PS4 and then on pc, and then going back to the PS4 briefly, and being genuinely blown away at how awful (by comparison) the console version was.

It was like going from a beautiful, smooth, detailed, fluid experience on pc to this blurry, cumbersome slide show on ps4.

Yes, after the ps5 and Series consoles arrived some of those glaring performance disparities were removed, but you've only got to look at the difficulty these machines are having trying to run the newest games some 3 and a half years in.

This, of course, is obvious and to be expected.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the "bang for your buck" side of it, the quality you get relative to how much you spend, is what makes the pc so enticing...and then there's extreme end of the spectrum that sees the unleashed, bleeding edge tech that developers can exploit because they don't need to compromise due to a demand for parity with any console version and so players can see truly incredible visual clarity at higher refresh rates than console ever can/will.

I'm not even getting into the other stuff pc offers so well, like modding, keyboard and mouse, settings customisation, huge back catalogue of cheaper games, emulation potential, the fact it's free to play online games etc...

I have my ps5 for the exclusives, and there are ps5 graphics that can still look incredible by the way (Ghost of Tsushima, GoW Ragnarok, Spiderman, TLOU 2), and I have my pc for everything else...and I believe it's the best way to enjoy games.

With the obvious caveat in respect of the financial cost.

If pushed to pick one platform to stay on I'd pick pc for the reasons outlined above.
But, also, because more and more of the biggest Sony I.P are turning up on pc anyway...albeit a few years later.

I honestly never thought I'd see The Last of Us or Spiderman on pc.

I assumed Sony held those marquee studios and franchises in too high a regard and saw them as undoubted system sellers.

One has to question what Sony is actually doing here, because console exclusives, as I've highlighted in my particular experience, are often the only reason people will own a console these days.

The may be letting short term gain cloud their judgement.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
My PC setup is a very comfortable office chair behind a desk with my keyboard and mouse, and a 4k projector in the corner of it and the PC on the floor. The projector is pointed at a white wall giving me about a 180-inch screen. This setup is cheaper than most multi-monitor setups with "gaming chairs" that you commonly see posted online. The number one positive about PC gaming is choice. You can design your PC in any way that you want. You could have it be stealth black or add so much RGB, you'd make the Griswolds jealous on Christmas! There are several channels on YouTube that show off beautiful builds. Go as cheap or as expensive as you want. Play the newest games or emulate the oldest ones. Play mods to breathe new life into games you've already played. The PC gaming world really is one of the most amazing hobbies out there.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Why? Sony is putting all their games on PC so unless you're in a hurry you don't need a playstation.
Switch can be emulated.
And we know Microsoft don't give a shit about exclusivity.
Not all, but a lot. Still, it's smart to keep a PlayStation. Most people don't want to wait a year or so anyway and I don't blame them.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
My PC build is on the way but I have been trying my friend’s PC for couple days now and that experience convinced me. I would say i’m now probably past half of Alan Wake 2 on his PC. It’s indeed glorious. I was playing with a PS5 controller.

coffinbirth

The vast majority of people don't write word documents in 2023 lol. Hell the vast majority of people I know don't use a computer at all, and simply use iPads as their primary "computing device".

My PC is 95% games, and 5% browsing the web because I'm already sitting at my desk and too lazy to grab the cable to connect my MacBook to my display. Windows is a shit OS, and if it wasn't for PC gaming I would never own a PC every again.

It's funny you mention the benchmark, and the console setup parts because that's my experience as well. To this day I spend way more time staring at the FPS counter while I'm playing.

I switched to ITX about 2 years ago or so (Lian Li Dan A4 H2O, 3600 originally but now 5600x, 3060ti) partly because I hate PC cases (disgusting, ugly, huge pieces of shit covered in RGB in general), partly due to practicing minimalism, and partly because I wanted a more console like experience. My PC moves back and forth between my desk and beside my TV stand occasionally and I set Windows to login without a password and launch Steam at startup into Big Picture Mode to get as close to a console experience as possible. Part of this is because I hate Windows but also because I just prefer pressing a button and playing a game. It's just overall a much more enjoyable experience and I wish I could get my PC to turn on with my Dualsense.
Just put your pc to sleep and wake it with the controller. If that's not your thing, depending on your mobo, you can turn it on from an off state via usb...which, again depending on your mobo can be a few different options to get that going for you.

lordrand11

You can game at the desk or the couch. People really need to stop thinking as a PC as a gaming machine, a computer is essential in today's working from home lifestyle. You need zoom, you need word, and you need to browse the web and multitask for research. So why not get a PC that can also play games? Really the argument makes no sense to me of "I don't want a PC I can play games on blah blah" ok so then how do you write your word documents?
Not to mention connecting your PC up to your TV screen and using a controller in Steam's Big Picture Mode is a very rewarding experience. Even moreso if you're rocking the 4080 or 4090 to output and game at 4k60 easily. And if you TV has the higher refresh rates natively it will make it that much better. I usually have my PC connected both to a monitor and the 75" TV in our living room so I can enjoy the desk chair experience or the couch experience and emulators look and play wonderful on the TV too.

The quality difference is huge, 60fps alone is a night and day difference.

But it's way more expensive and a way bigger hassle, just dealing with modern Windows alone is a nightmare compared to the simplicity of a console or Switch's OS, to say nothing of the old days of "you stick a game in and press the power button"

It's pretty much depends on how much money and extra effort is worth it to you, it's legit hard to go back with modern AAA gaming though once you've seen the difference of PC though, essentially you're getting the "raw feed" of a game, whereas it's always going to be scaled back some way on console.

Last edited:

Zathalus

My last PC was boxed away in 2005. The last games I played were Civilization IV and Starcraft. In January 2022, I bought a gaming laptop (Intel i7 11800H with RTX 3060) and use it with an LG C1 OLED.

I wouldn't say that I "changed", as owning a gaming PC made me realize that console gaming is still equal, if not superior. Even though I can get the "comfy couch" experience with a PC and controller, it still isn't ideal.

I can run games at 4K/60 with DLSS, but many games still have hitching/stuttering due to "shaders" or whatever. It's stupid. A game could be running at 120fps and still not be enjoyable to play due to the random hitching. Console games don't have this.

PC gaming is digital only. This means that you must wait for a sale before buying anything. It's madness to pay full price ($90+ CAD after tax) for a digital game. So, you absolutely must wait for a sale. This means that you rarely want to play games at launch.

The greatest benefit to PC gaming is the refund periods on digital games, which no console has. This means you effectively get a two-hour demo of any game.

I only play games on PC that are clearly intended for PC (Stardew Valley, Civilization, Baldur's Gate, Slay the Spire, Counterstrike, etc). Most games are just more comfortable and enjoyable to play on a Nintendo Switch or PS4/PS5.
Seems you are not aware that buying directly from Steam is usually the worst option. Check out https://gg.deals/ PC games are almost always cheaper at launch then console.

As for Shader stutters, that is a UE4 problem, UE5 has mostly solved it. Both Robocop and Immortals of Aveum that launched this year had none. Actually looking back on it the only 2023 game with shader stutters is Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

Denton

Vast (and I mean vast) majority of PC games precache their shaders - especially going forward, after DF shone light on this issue and made developers painfully aware of it.
Thanks to actual free competition on PC, it is regularly possible to buy plenty of games at launch for about 45 bucks on sites like GMG/Fanatical/CDKeys, or on reddit from GPU bundles, etc.
Just this year I bought, at launch:

Resident Evil 4 remake ($44)
Last of Us: Part 1 ($42)
Dead Island 2 ($36)
Dead Space remake ($7.5, rented via EA Pro)
Jedi Survivor ($7.5, rented via EA Pro)
Callisto Protocol ($28)
Jagged Alliance 3 ($33)
Alan Wake II ($44)
Robocop Rogue City ($34)
Assassin's Creed Mirage ($11)
Avatar ($15, rented via Ubisoft plus)

And those are just launch games, I also got shit ton of games from various sales, humble bundles, Epic giveaways, not to mention PC gamepass.

Last edited:
Not all, but a lot. Still, it's smart to keep a PlayStation. Most people don't want to wait a year or so anyway and I don't blame them.

That's true. I personally don't play a lot of triple A and never on release. But if you want to be part of the zeitgeist a PS5 will do fine.

peish

As a working adult, pc gaming is better experience for the lesser time I can spend

Consoles 1080p upscaling and/or 30fps and expensive games, PCMR is a Real thing.

Codiox

Best decision ever.
I have my own custom launcher, completely using the controller on PC now.

I can tweak every game to get the fps I want. Games get thrown to you for dirt cheap, just got judgment for 13 bucks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That's uniquely level headed take.
I wouldn't say I switched from PC to console but I did move 85% of my gaming to console. Not only because I was annoying by the things you mentioned but I just don't feel like being bothered anymore. I just like playing on a console

Mowcno

I have swapped from console to pc several times. The advantage is performance and customisability (in software as well as hardware) all-be-it at a higher price. But I prefer the feel of consoles and their OS even though they're more limited. The console experience is just more streamlined for gaming. When I boot a PC game I spend the first 30 minutes fiddling with graphics settings, when I boot a console game I just play.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why? Sony is putting all their games on PC so unless you're in a hurry you don't need a playstation.
Switch can be emulated.
And we know Microsoft don't give a shit about exclusivity.
oh yes true pc gamer mentality. Virtue of a true gamer
-Wait for years for ps games to come to pc
-Pirate all nintendo games

Guilty_AI

One has to question what Sony is actually doing here, because console exclusives, as I've highlighted in my particular experience, are often the only reason people will own a console these days.
With all the court documents and leaks we've come to see the most profitable part of PS/Xbox business comes from big games like COD and their MTX. Exclusives are an extra enticer to pick one console over the other and keep the user playing everything else there. On the other hand, you can't really say PC and Console players are the same costumers.

You yourself is a great example. You got a PS for the exclusives and plays everything else on PC. You are not a very profitable consumer to Sony, because they would rather have you playing COD, Fortnite, Destiny 2, etc; on the ps5. Their end costumers are the people from above who have one reason or another to use consoles over a PC for most games or all of them.

I think the issue here is that Sony dug their own grave with their exclusive strategy, long, long before they even thought of doing PC ports. For exclusives to work they would have to keep massively putting out new games like Nintendo does. However, unlike Nintendo, their game's appeal rely strongly on presentation, visuals, production value, etc; meaning budgets and dev times grow larger and larger as generations go by. There's no way they'd ever be able to keep a consistent output like that. Now they're changing strategies to make GAAS games, which means they must entice people on other platforms (that aren't direct competitors at least), thus the ports.

Last edited:
With all the court documents and leaks we've come to see the most profitable part of PS/Xbox business comes from big games like COD and their MTX. Exclusives are an extra enticer to pick one console over the other and keep the user playing everything else there. On the other hand, you can't really say PC and Console players are the same costumers.

You yourself is a great example. You got a PS for the exclusives and plays everything else on PC. You are not a very profitable consumer to Sony, because they would rather have you playing COD, Fortnite, Destiny 2, etc; on the ps5. Their end costumers are the people from above who have one reason or another to use consoles over a PC for most games or all of them.

I think the issue here is that Sony dug their own grave with their exclusive strategy, long, long before they even thought of doing PC ports. For exclusives to work they would have to keep massively putting out new games like Nintendo does. However, unlike Nintendo, their game's appeal rely strongly on presentation, visuals, production value, etc; meaning budgets and dev times grow larger and larger as generations go by. There's no way they'd ever be able to keep a consistent output like that. Now they're changing strategies to make GAAS games, which means they must entice people on other platforms (that aren't direct competitors at least), thus the ports.
You make a lot of sense, and I agree with most of your post.

The profitability point is a fair one, though I do spend money and those full priced AAA exclusives do add up, as does resubbing to ps plus every 3 months...but, I agree I'm not buying everything as you point out because I'm on pc.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I find all the systems have their place except my XSX....like, it just seems redundant if you have a PC (unless you have a spare room that really needs a console added?).

We have a PC for gaming that kind of smokes all the rest, so that's dad's one for the lounge. PS5 is a goer for exclusives, albeit a bit thin on the ground lately, also in the lounge. Wifey has a switch in the bedroom for her Nintendo obsession, son has a XSS in his room for a cheap run about and Minecrafting. Our Quest 2 kind of gathers dust...but was cool as for Alyx with the link.

Yeah, the XSX is not needed when you have a sick PC.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2 experience on my friend PC was out of this world. I was one of the most “Not big difference between 60fps and 120fps” guys out there as a console player all my life. But AW2 was just so smooth. I mean the only problem with this is going back to 30fps is going to be horrible. I now understand the PC crowd 30fps argument. Unplayable comments from them are an exaggeration but I understand them now more.

Also in term of upfront cost, yes PC is costly but I believe in the long run with how open the platform is and the options available to buy games, it is way cheaper. Steam alone is a great indication.

So far I never needed to switch to PC, consoles have most of the games I’m in to.
This is the most important thing. Games, games, games. It shouldn't matter what platform you play on as long as it has games you love.
Just put your pc to sleep and wake it with the controller. If that's not your thing, depending on your mobo, you can turn it on from an off state via usb...which, again depending on your mobo can be a few different options to get that going for you.
I tried everything and it never seemed to work properly. Plus I prefer to just shut my PC down after use for energy purposes. I looked into like switches even but none are ITX friendly at least at the time.
Moved back to console gaming after one month of PC gaming.
Just curious, but what made you go back?
oh yes true pc gamer mentality. Virtue of a true gamer
-Wait for years for ps games to come to pc
-Pirate all nintendo games
Yeah, using piracy as an argument is asinine. It basically comes down to "I hate consoles and PC is so much better in every way BUT it's better because I can steal games from the platforms I say I hate so much" which is sad. The whole waiting thing comes across as a superiority thing as well with putting the "other side" down. "I'm not a mong so I can wait".

I play on PC a lot and always will but I refuse to subscribe to the PCMR bullshit.

I love the way games run on PC. Everything else about it I hate.

- Switching games can be a bit more of a PIA on PC depending on the game. It's kind of crazy the amount of PC games that require you to exit to title screen, then exit the game.
- My Xbox controller had issues periodically like every couple of months. Just disconnecting and me needing to reboot, reinstall the controller as in uninstall from device manager and then reboot, or just re-pair the controller.
- I hate not being able to just use a controller to control everything. PC is very close to this but it's not there yet.
- I hate the multiple stores because it only makes it harder to use my controller to do everything.
- Trophies aren't as well done as they are on Console.
- HDR is still not setup properly on PC but not a huge issue to me because HDR hasn't turned out to be as great as I thought.

I wish I could have PC performance with console like interface but can't get everything you want I guess. A lot of those things were just small stuff that I was willing to overlook. The main problem was my Xbox controller disconnecting. I spent one day fixing it for 20-25 mins. My game time is precious to me and I was pissed that day and gave up on PC gaming after that.

Before that issue i had another Xbox controller that would have weird audio issues with headphones and disconnecting a lot. Once I replaced both the controller and adapter things got much better but after a month or two it disconnected again and I just said enough.

TheTony316

Just curious, but what made you go back?

- Shader compilation issues or just bad AAA PC ports in general.

- Having to use multiple launchers even if i buy a game on Steam.

- I exclusively play on TV and big picture mode was hit or miss for me. Sometimes it worked really well, sometimes it just didn't. I know PCs have come a long way since the early 00s but console is still king when it comes to convenience.

- Late PC ports of Sony first party, Final Fantasy or GTA. I thought i can wait a couple of years, turns out i can't.

- Very minor reason but i like trophies.

I think the boost in IQ and FPS was great but i realized that i was just playing enhanced console ports and that alone wasn't worth it for me. I'm not into indie or PC centric games and stopped playing RTS games years ago.

Last edited:
- Shader compilation issues or just bad AAA PC ports in general.

- Having to use multiple launchers even if i buy a game on Steam.

- I exclusively play on TV and big picture mode was hit or miss for me. Sometimes it worked really well, sometimes it just didn't. I know PCs have come a long way since the early 00s but console is still king when it comes to convenience.

- Late PC ports of Sony first party, Final Fantasy or GTA. I thought i can wait a couple of years, turns out i can't.

- Very minor reason but i like trophies.

I think the boost in IQ and FPS was great but i realized that i was just playing enhanced console ports and that alone wasn't worth it for me. I'm not into indie or PC centric games and stopped playing RTS games years ago.
That's fair. I actually agree with all of that and it's the reason why I still play console more then PC even if it's more even then it used to be but some of that is down to no longer having an Xbox.

I’m almost 100% console with an aging gaming pc. I don’t see the justification to buy a great gaming pc and monitor considering I don’t play the pc centric genres like mmo, strategy, etc.

I’ve been considering getting just the oled steamdeck and pretending pc gaming is handheld gaming.

I love the way games run on PC. Everything else about it I hate.

- Switching games can be a bit more of a PIA on PC depending on the game. It's kind of crazy the amount of PC games that require you to exit to title screen, then exit the game.
- My Xbox controller had issues periodically like every couple of months. Just disconnecting and me needing to reboot, reinstall the controller as in uninstall from device manager and then reboot, or just re-pair the controller.
- I hate not being able to just use a controller to control everything. PC is very close to this but it's not there yet.
- I hate the multiple stores because it only makes it harder to use my controller to do everything.
- Trophies aren't as well done as they are on Console.
- HDR is still not setup properly on PC but not a huge issue to me because HDR hasn't turned out to be as great as I thought.

I wish I could have PC performance with console like interface but can't get everything you want I guess. A lot of those things were just small stuff that I was willing to overlook. The main problem was my Xbox controller disconnecting. I spent one day fixing it for 20-25 mins. My game time is precious to me and I was pissed that day and gave up on PC gaming after that.

Before that issue i had another Xbox controller that would have weird audio issues with headphones and disconnecting a lot. Once I replaced both the controller and adapter things got much better but after a month or two it disconnected again and I just said enough.
I agree with this. Once you get the games running it's great, It's the steps needed to get the game going that makes it a speed bump.
There is Steam Big Picture Mode, Just have to do all the crap to disable or remove Xbox Gamebar and then Big Picture Mode looks like a Steamdeck.

I just bought a new PC with a rtx 4070 and moved back to PC from console, Going to have to rebuy some games like CP77.
I've already traded in the PS5, I hear that the PS5Pro might rival the 4070 But I'll just replace the 4070 with something new, hopefully.

twilo99

I've already traded in the PS5, I hear that the PS5Pro might rival the 4070 But I'll just replace the 4070 with something new, hopefully.

It might rival a 4070 but there is zero chance it can compete with your CPU, so on a system level it will still be quite a bit behind..

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It might rival a 4070 but there is zero chance it can compete with your CPU, so on a system level it will still be quite a bit behind..
Anyone thinking about power, what is faster, is ps5 cpu decently fast... almost any technical console vs pc details... should just get a pc.

Okay I've been reading all of your messages. I have 2 questions thus far:

1. I see people admitting that there is more challenge and hassle to managing a PC over console. That was already obvious to me. But is it still worth it to you?

2. I don't think I'll build a PC honestly. I'd prefer convenience. I do have friends that could build me one, but does anyone have any pre-built kit recommendations? I have no idea where to start and would love references.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’m probably going to get flamed as I’m a unicorn I guess, but I’ve been considering and slowly moving from pc to consoles.

Reasons for that are as follows in no order.

1. Most of the games I play are fps, action rpg and after working all day with computers I want to sit in a comfy lounger and use a controller. I don’t want to rely on big picture mode.

2. While cheaters persist on all platforms the pc is just way to easy and multiplayer games are filled with them briefing and running the experience for me. Yes I suck and need to get better…

3. HDR on pc is still a mess compared to consoles.

4. Crappy pc port: filled with stutters and jank on top end hardware.

5. I have a weird addiction to pc settings where instead of gaming I spend hours tweaking settings trying to get more frames and perfecting the game than I ever do playing games.

6. Quick resume

7. Constantly having to update graphics drivers and dealing with shader cache bull.

8. Controller disconnects even with proper Xbox wireless adapter it’s like this thing loses connections weekly.

9. Space and wire clutter

10. Multiple storefronts and launches / DRM

Yes a lot of these can be simple fixes, but when added up it make gaming a pain if you play a lot of titles. If you just play 1-2 games it’s fine but I don’t I have a large collection of problems.

Yes I can’t do mods etc but if I’m being honest I like the idea of mod more than I even have used them.

At the end of the day I like the simplicity, quickness, and cleanliness of console gaming. I’m can buy two systems one for basement and one for living room and move freely or with handheld stream them to me easier than pc with sunshine etc.

Your mileage may very and my choice isn’t right for others but this is why I am liking consoles more and more. I’m getting older and don’t want to mess around during my game time with all the other crap anymore!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Whats this about Xbox controller disconnects? Never had this issue.
Happens to me often on pc. Multiple controllers also so it’s not a one off issue for me. I will turn them in and they refuse to find the unit. Have to repair them at least 2-3 per month

Top Bottom