• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else switching from Console/PC to Switch for future indie multiplatform games?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS3/360 level with the intel atom Cherry Trail Atom X5-Z8500...not quite.
I'm also a PC and Switch owner, PC for all the AAA multiplatform games with latest and greatest, Switch for Nintendo exclusives and some indie too
Z8700 and i have just finished Binary Domain and renegade ops, i'm still playing Condemned criminal origins and i have also played the bioshock demo and a little of trakmania nations forever all at 720p and around 30fps, some of my screens taken from the gpd win that i posted in the portable consoles screenshot thread:
bioshock_2017_03_19_23_15_43_94.jpg

Binary_Domain_2017_03_19_00_38_51_56.jpg

Renegade_Ops_2017_03_04_18_59_56_15.jpg

Tm_Forever_2017_03_13_00_51_25_00.jpg

4720_20170303234516_1.png

There are also youtube videos of tomb raider, skyrim, fallout 3/nv, overwatch and many others being perfectly playable on the gpd win.

People, me included, underestimates what gpd win can do until they see what it can do.

Also, something that people don't think of is that with the gpd win there's no port begging/hoping/signing petitions because almost everything, especially indies, are already there(and cheaper), soooooo good.

EDIT:
here some videos
overwatch
tomb raider
Skyrim
Diablo 3
Civilization 6
Rocket League

I might get some that I really, really want on Switch for the portable aspect of it, but not all, especially because of the prices I can get games for the PC.

i backed Bloodstained, and am probably going to have a Switch by then. if i do, I'll definitely get it for that so i can take advantage of the portability

Malice215

The Vita has been my indie machine for years, and now the Switch will fill that role going forward. PC will always have the better deals, but for the must have games, I rather play those on a handheld, especially since I can easily take one to work to play on my lunch break, or at home from bed instead of sitting at a desk.

Shovel Knight and Fast RMX have been awesome to play on the Switch these past few weeks.

Anno

I wouldn't mind having a Switch with duplicate copies of some games I love for when I'm out of town or sick in bed or something. In general though I'm going to play them at my PC first for better options, any mods that come about and more controller options.

petran79

Banned
Usually trains,planes and buses have stands and plugs for laptops, so no. Why would I put on such a stand a tiny device like the Switch.
Gaming with your arms on the loose , while shaking and strafing left and right due to the vehicle movement is terrible

Nah, not me. More because I'm tentative about the price structure; unless they have sales a la Steam, I've no reason to make the..erm...change.

I'll keep an eye out, so I'm open to reconsidering.

RedSwirl

The Good:
  • It's relatively cheap (IMHO) for what you get, especially considering how niche it is and the small production run.
  • It gives you access to your massive PC/Steam library on the go. With all the configuration and customization options that come with being a PC.
  • Streaming works really well.
  • The overall build quality is better than I expected.
  • The screen is great, I was prepared for far worse.
  • The way they implemented dual shoulder buttons on each side in the small form factor works surprisingly well
  • Battery life is pretty good considering what it has to do.
The Bad:
  • The d-pad is perfectly usable (it's no 360 controller d-pad), but a bit mushy.
  • On mine, the hinge is slightly wobbly in the default position.
  • It's no powerhouse, particularly in terms of graphics -- it's Intel integrated, and just the Atom version at that. But I never expected it to be.
The Ugly:
  • On mine, I had to disable hibernation to prevent it from sometimes locking up in sleep. But it's not a huge loss, the sleep mode power draw is very low.

Also, you get "cross-buy" between a portable and a standalone high-performance version for every single game ;)

Z8700 and i have just finished Binary Domain and renegade ops, i'm still playing Condemned criminal origins and i have also played the bioshock demo and a little of trakmania nations forever all at 720p and around 30fps, some of my screens taken from the gpd win that i posted in the portable consoles screenshot thread:
bioshock_2017_03_19_23_15_43_94.jpg

Binary_Domain_2017_03_19_00_38_51_56.jpg

Renegade_Ops_2017_03_04_18_59_56_15.jpg

Tm_Forever_2017_03_13_00_51_25_00.jpg

4720_20170303234516_1.png

There are also youtube videos of tomb raider, skyrim, fallout 3/nv, overwatch and many others being perfectly playable on the gpd win.

People, me included, underestimates what gpd win can do until they see what it can do.

Also, something that people don't think of is that with the gpd win there's no port begging/hoping/signing petitions because almost everything, especially indies, are already there(and cheaper), soooooo good.

EDIT:
here some videos
overwatch
tomb raider
Skyrim
Diablo 3
Civilization 6
Rocket League

Jesus. I was gonna come in and ask how it ran games like Hyper Light Drifter or Nuclear Throne, but if it can run that shit then I guess the GPD Win already fulfills what I'd be getting it for.

And what do you guys think are the chances of portable PC gaming ever getting any kind of foothold? Dedicated handheld gaming itself seems to be shrinking or in a stagnant state outside Japan because people have phones on one end and consoles on the other. However, the problem might be that the games on Sony and Nintendo handheld devices are proprietary. Outside gaming portable devices generally serve to run the same content people play on their TVs.

Before, Nintendo handhelds were successful because Nintendo and Japanese developers put real effort into making exclusive games for them, but the practical future of handheld gaming outside mobile is probably to make, literally, portable versions of the main gaming machines. Vita tried to be this but I see Remote Play as a half measure. Maybe in a few years Sony shrinks the original PS4 hardware into something that runs PS4 games and backwards compatible PS5 games.

iswasdoes

Inside looks better at 4K than 1080p.

Just because a game is indie doesn't mean it can't benefit from higher resolution.

Sure, but I don't think a simple graphical style benefits as much as a detailed realistic one. The benefit of portability massively outweighs the improvement in fidelity for the typical indie game, while the same is not true for AAAs

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jesus. I was gonna come in and ask how it ran games like Hyper Light Drifter or Nuclear Throne, but if it can run that shit then I guess the GPD Win already fulfills what I'd be getting it for.

And what do you guys think are the chances of portable PC gaming ever getting any kind of foothold? Dedicated handheld gaming itself seems to be shrinking or in a stagnant state outside Japan because people have phones on one end and consoles on the other. However, the problem might be that the games on Sony and Nintendo handheld devices are proprietary. Outside gaming portable devices generally serve to run the same content people play on their TVs.

Before, Nintendo handhelds were successful because Nintendo and Japanese developers put real effort into making exclusive games for them, but the practical future of handheld gaming outside mobile is probably to make, literally, portable versions of the main gaming machines. Vita tried to be this but I see Remote Play as a half measure. Maybe in a few years Sony shrinks the original PS4 hardware into something that runs PS4 games and backwards compatible PS5 games.
I REALLY hope that more pc handhelds will be done, there's the Smach Zero coming, but i'm not convinced, also it lacks a keyboard that imo is still essential for pc gaming, and GPD is already thinking of a GPD Win 2, but if the rumored specs i read somewhere are true it won't even be a real upgrade.

Imo the GPD Win is the best choice for pc handhelds(well it's also the only one actually lol) and i will keep it until an eventual new GPD Win or something else with at least an intel core m3 will be released.

Honestly i still can't believe that MS didn't try something similar.

Liquidator

Neo Member
Now that's been almost a year since launch, are there any differences in technical aspects between indies on the Switch and PS4/PC?

Like is it a matter of 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS? 720p vs. 1080p?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Indies are not commonly among the most graphically taxing experiences anyway, so the Switch will do here. The great plus is that its all portable. Playing most indies on PC feels weird honestly.
Of course there are exceptions. If Kindom Come came to Switch i’d still want to own it on PC.

Last edited:

Shifty

My switch doesn't leave its dock regularly enough to justify it- I find shitposting on GAF a much more manageable commute activity.

Last edited:

bufkus

Depends on the game. If it's something that I am likely to play for hours on end, then I'd get it on PC. If it's something I play in small bursts, I'd get it on Switch.

Top Bottom