• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else wants 32-bit games ported or remake to this generation?

Pachi72

Meant to say mostly Sega Saturn games.
I am sick and tired of Sega doing Genesis compilation. I want Sega Saturn ports like Panzer Dragoon etc. Also want Konami to make a collection of Parodius games and bring out to PSN and XBOX One. How hard is it to do this? I am just tired of 32 bit port or remakes being neglected. I want a Nights Into Dreams remaster..Can you imagine? Or a Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Future Remaster collection. What you all think? If you had to pick a game to be ported into a collection or 1 game to be remastered what would it be? I really miss those days..When gaming didn't have season pass or DLC.

My dream games to be remaster would be.
1. Nights Into Dreams
2. Clockwork Knight 1 and 2
3. Panzer Dragoon RPG and zwei

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sega had the Dreamcast Collection with Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventures, and Space Channel 5.

Those are great games, but I wasn't port begging Sega for their releases. Or they could at least port more games.

I'd like to see a Rival Schools collection or just a very good arcade collection too.

One game I'd like to see redone or remastered would be WWF Wrestle Mania from the arcades.

Pachi72

Sega had the Dreamcast Collection with Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventures, and Space Channel 5.

Those are great games, but I wasn't port begging Sega for their releases. Or they could at least port more games.

I'd like to see a Rival Schools collection or just a very good arcade collection too.

One game I'd like to see redone or remastered would be WWF Wrestle Mania from the arcades.
The Midway game?

B_Signal

I'm with you Pachi72 Pachi72 on Panzer Dragoon saga. I'd love a Shining Force 3 collection, even if it was on 3DS. I'd love a remaster, or at least touched up port of Burning Rangers.

A Saturn collection on steam would be great, and eventually a Dreamcast one, but at least a decent number of the Dreamcast's games have appeared elsewhere over the years

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not really 32 bit games aged pretty poorly overall.
Heck i cant even stand most n64 games tbh.
Dreamcast is ok tho.

Mr Hyde

Yes, I would very much want a remaster for Alundra and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Two of my favourite games of the 32-bit era. Remakes would be even better.

AllyITA

the 32/64 bit console generation was weird, they made mostly 3d games just because they could/had to.
the gameplay aspect of those games feels very outdated now, expecially the controls. even most of early ps2/xbox/gc didn't have 3D controls figured out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Midway game?

Acclaim, the likelyhood of it happening is almost impossible, but I've love it they'd redo the formula or make legal changes to make it possible. The characters and their special moves were awesome. I had not enjoyed a wrestling game since Wrestle Mania on NES.

Last edited:

cireza

Jet Set Radio
1. Nights Into Dreams
3. Panzer Dragoon RGP and Orta
Orta is available in 4K on Xbox One X and 1080p on Xbox One, widescreen, and plays like a dream.

Jet Set Radio is available on Xbox One, with widescreen support and a free camera.

Nights is also available on Xbox One, with widescreen and better graphics.

You can also play Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Fighter 5 FS, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic CD, Sonic Fighters, Daytona USA, Virtual On OT on Xbox One. Crazy Taxi as well (the 360 version).

However, we really need After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade backward compatibility. And a Burning Rangers remaster.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
32-bit and 24-bit (NeoGeo) games are woefully underrepresented in the endless compilations we get nowadays. Atari and SEGA Genesis have been ported to a million platforms.

Saturn has a pretty big library of Japan-only games that should be ported to the digital stores or at least put on a compilation. In particular, the shmups, puzzle games, and fighting games on Saturn are worth looking into.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah I really hate that Sega only remembers the Genesis and completely forgot about their 3 other awesome platforms. We need alot more Dreamcast and Saturn love when it comes to all these rereleases. Master System is dated and much less fun to play but still has alot of classics that should be released.

It's not just Sega, either. The entire 32/64/128 bit time in history has been practically erased in modern times. I'd like to see alot more games from this time resurface...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I really hate that Sega only remembers the Genesis and completely forgot about their 3 other awesome platforms. We need alot more Dreamcast and Saturn love when it comes to all these rereleases. Master System is dated and much less fun to play but still has alot of classics that should be released.

It's not just Sega, either. The entire 32/64/128 bit time in history has been practically erased in modern times. I'd like to see alot more games from this time resurface...
The wrong games are remembered, that's why, RPGs in particular.

Based on the various "Top 50" lists and YouTube videos, you'd think that all of the most popular games on the PS1 (to grab an easy example) were games like Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy, Xenogears, and Star Ocean. In reality, these games were niche. A growing niche, to be sure, but still a niche. Folks were more likely to be playing Spyro, Madden, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Cool Boarders, Tekken, and Tony Hawk. Most people hadn't even heard of most of the RPGs that today we call "classics".

SEGA consoles were somewhat lacking in RPGs but extremely rich in platformers, racing games, sports games, fighting games, puzzle games, shmups, and all the other kinds of arcade games that you would expect.

Gander

Banned
Yes absolutely, some these games are just experiences not offered today.

Dragon Force
Dragon Force 2
Darkstalkers
Xmen vs. Capcom
Albert Odessey
Herc's Adventure
Shinning Force 3
Princess Crown
Guardian Heroes
Bridgadine

Pachi72

Orta is available in 4K on Xbox One X and 1080p on Xbox One, widescreen, and plays like a dream.

Jet Set Radio is available on Xbox One, with widescreen support and a free camera.

Nights is also available on Xbox One, with widescreen and better graphics.

You can also play Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Fighter 5 FS, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic CD, Sonic Fighters, Daytona USA, Virtual On OT on Xbox One. Crazy Taxi as well (the 360 version).

However, we really need After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade backward compatibility. And a Burning Rangers remaster.

Meant to say PD Zwei got confused

Soltype

I think they need it the most.5th gen was probably the worst due to the growing pains of 3d development.A lot of those games could benefit from a new coat of paint and some tuning.

Fbh

I'm actually surprised we have never gotten a port or remaster or something of Panzer Dragoon Saga.
A super rare and highly rated game that I think would definitely sell pretty well even if the purchases are just driven by curiosity.

maybe they lost the source code?

Breakage

I'm actually surprised we have never gotten a port or remaster or something of Panzer Dragoon Saga.
A super rare and highly rated game that I think would definitely sell pretty well even if the purchases are just driven by curiosity.

maybe they lost the source code?

Yup. Here's a good, long-ish article on Panzer Dragoon Saga's background that I recently came across:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/29...games-panzer-dragoon-saga-missing-masterpiece

I've never played PDS (or owned a Saturn), but I still found it a fascinating read.

I agree with a lot of early 3D games aging poorly but there's a lot of great games on the Saturn that need to be released. Pander Dragoon Saga is one of the most unique RPGs I have ever played to this day and it's a shame most people are unable to experience it. The constant Genesis collections being released is boring, Sega should give us something new.

ilfait

I agree with a lot of early 3D games aging poorly but there's a lot of great games on the Saturn that need to be released. Pander Dragoon Saga is one of the most unique RPGs I have ever played to this day and it's a shame most people are unable to experience it. The constant Genesis collections being released is boring, Sega should give us something new.
Games that were never great to begin with but were in some way impressive at release didn't age well. The great ones aged incredibly well, but not many people play them in way that's complementary. They're usually played through emulation on the wrong kind of display, which gives the impression that the games themselves were ugly and unresponsive. Input lag + audio lag + digital display + low tolerance for frustration + used to being babied + higher resolution + progressive scan = wow, these games aged poorly.

The best of PS1, Saturn and N64 deserve at least a decent CRT with original hardware if not an RGB monitor before they can be fairly judged and fully appreciated. In a modern context a lot of early poly games are impressive in ways that they wouldn't even have been at the time. Now that they can be contrasted with typical modern design philosophies and aesthetics by comparison some of the classics look and play like unconventional abstract masterpieces.

Getting into classic games and old equipment over something like the last 5 years has made me realize how wrong I was and how wrong general opinion is. Turns out it's not just nostalgia; when mainstream games seem boring, patronizing and derivative it's not always just us; zero latency is important to the feel of old games in general and not just useful for knocking out Tyson; and turns out that emulation and digital displays are not good enough. I'm glad I found out for myself 'cause I would have suspected BS/nostalgia/bad taste if someone had told me.

Games that were never great to begin with but were in some way impressive at release didn't age well. The great ones aged incredibly well, but not many people play them in way that's complementary. They're usually played through emulation on the wrong kind of display, which gives the impression that the games themselves were ugly and unresponsive. Input lag + audio lag + digital display + low tolerance for frustration + used to being babied + higher resolution + progressive scan = wow, these games aged poorly.

The best of PS1, Saturn and N64 deserve at least a decent CRT with original hardware if not an RGB monitor before they can be fairly judged and fully appreciated. In a modern context a lot of early poly games are impressive in ways that they wouldn't even have been at the time. Now that they can be contrasted with typical modern design philosophies and aesthetics by comparison some of the classics look and play like unconventional abstract masterpieces.

Getting into classic games and old equipment over something like the last 5 years has made me realize how wrong I was and how wrong general opinion is. Turns out it's not just nostalgia; when mainstream games seem boring, patronizing and derivative it's not always just us; zero latency is important to the feel of old games in general and not just useful for knocking out Tyson; and turns out that emulation and digital displays are not good enough. I'm glad I found out for myself 'cause I would have suspected BS/nostalgia/bad taste if someone had told me.

Confirmed: You're a good person. And I would subscribe to your newsletter :p.

I scored a high end Sony CRT in as-new condition a couple of years ago and it completely transformed how I experienced my Sega Saturn and the small library of games that I own. The right hardware and the right cables are integral to experiencing past generations as they were intended (and were experienced originally).

Sadly, a large portion of the the fantastic PS1 and the Saturn game libraries seem destined to be lost to time and to the dismissal of lesser informed gamers.

Last edited:

cireza

The best of PS1, Saturn and N64 deserve at least a decent CRT with original hardware if not an RGB monitor before they can be fairly judged and fully appreciated.
I have been playing my old consoles with this setup for nearly 30 years. You can't beat this.

Every time I go back to my modern consoles with my LCD TV, I have a hard time with the blur and the slight input lag in some situations.

I can't play shmups on my LCD TV. It is too blurry, and the very low input lag kills it for me, because I often press the bomb button at the very last frame (or very close). It is actually impossible to have this kind of precision on a LCD TV with blur + input lag. On Switch, the Psikyo shooters definitely have some lag.

Otherwise, any pixel-art 2D game gets extremely blurry on a LCD TV when the background scrolls. My eyes hurt very fast, and I am someone who knows very well how to setup my screens. I don't wear glasses, have a great sight, and do everything I can to reduce the eyestrain.

CRT and LCD are two different beasts.

Last edited:
2 polygon-based games worth porting:*
1. Daytona USA (Arcade, not the dull Saturn Version)
2. Panzer Dragoon Zwei (for the music alone)
3. Nights into Dreams

2D masterpieces remastered on the Switch:
1. X-Men vs Streetfighter HD
2. The Legend of Oasis HD
3. Guardian Heroes HD
4. Suokyugurentai HD
5. Dragon Force HD
6. Saturn Bomberman HD (the best Bomberman ever)

Price of each game should be $19.99.

* - Most 3D Saturn arcade games should be played on zero-lag CRT, especially the light-gun games. There's no other way around it.

cireza

2 polygon-based games worth porting:*
1. Daytona USA (Arcade, not the dull Saturn Version)
2. Panzer Dragoon Zwei (for the music alone)
3. Nights into Dreams

2D masterpieces remastered on the Switch:
1. X-Men vs Streetfighter HD
2. The Legend of Oasis HD
3. Guardian Heroes HD
4. Suokyugurentai HD
5. Dragon Force HD
6. Saturn Bomberman HD (the best Bomberman ever)

Price of each game should be $19.99.

* - Most 3D Saturn arcade games should be played on zero-lag CRT, especially the light-gun games. There's no other way around it.
You are aware that Daytona USA has already been remade and is available on Xbox 360 PS3 and Xbox One ?
Same for Nights. Guardian Heroes is also on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good to see some CRT love in this thread. The 32/64-bit era really does need a CRT. A PS2 or Dreamcast or "better" can look great upconverted to a high-def screen, but the older stuff was built for a raster scan.

Saturn in particular. That thing looks insanely good on a CRT, even just using S-Video.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ikaruga on switch was a very good start. Now I want SoulCalibur, and then perhaps HoTD and .. well, technically I could go on with a long list.

93xfan

Banned
The Jumping Flash series (specifically the second game)

Oh, and also the Ridge Racer series, with arcade ports as well.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess it depends on emulation. How is saturn emulation this days?
Not great. Not bad.

Saturn was really built for a CRT, though. The arcade-perfect ports of House of the Dead and Time Crisis alone are worth getting the original hardware, and of course you have a huge range of other mid-90s arcade gems: Virtua Fighter 1 & 2, Gunbird, Magic Drop 3, Twinkle Star Sprites, Sonic Wings, DoDonPachi, Puzzle Fighter, X-Men vs Street Fighter (best Capcom Vs game in terms of balance and overall shine, imo), Darkstalkers, Layer Section... the list goes on and on.

I’d be happier with FPGA based accurate emulation devices for the 32 bit consoles with HDMI out and support for modern controllers as well as authentic.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’d be happier with FPGA based accurate emulation devices for the 32 bit consoles with HDMI out and support for modern controllers as well as authentic.
We're pretty much there. The Polymega supports PS1, SEGA CD, Turbografix CD, and NeoGeo CD "with more to come" according to their public info. We'll see. I would be extremely happy with an HD-capable, original-controller-compatible system that can play those disc systems reliably.

I’ve noticed that before but whether it materialises or not is another thing. This one does seem a lot more solid than the previous pipe dreams though so we’ll see as it does look promising.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’ve noticed that before but whether it materialises or not is another thing. This one does seem a lot more solid than the previous pipe dreams though so we’ll see as it does look promising.
They just showed it off at E3, actually! I was also skeptical if it would ever resurface after the initial announcement. Check out their site or go YouTube it to see what they've shown off recently.

Top Bottom