• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever go to anger management classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I would imagine the question itself is simple enough. Has anyone gone?

I think it's about time I found a class locally and started going to it. I'm on a hair trigger about most things, especially those involving my wife. She and I get into a lot of arguments that mostly end up being centered around my flying off the handle for no reason over simple shit.

I know I am a prick, so telling me further won't do much to help me. I have said and done things I am not proud of. It is time that I faced the gravity of the situation and get help.

Just today, for instance, my wife called about some plans we were making with friends. I have a friend who is passing through the area now, and she and I had thought about having his family over for dinner on Thursday. Yesterday my friend decided to throw a cookout at his dad's house thursday, so I told me wife we plans had changed and that wed now be going over there for a cookout. She called today to tell me it might be better if the dinner was at our house due to our small son, and I freaked out on her for no reason.

But, I digress. Has anyone gone to these? What are they like? And is there a good spot I can go to try to find out where they might be running locally?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm in therapy for anger issues right now.

Might be easier for you to do one on one than group?

I should go to anger managmenet, not because I'm on a hair trigger,but because my trigger is like a fat hairy turd that never goes off.

Like that Adam Sandler flick.

I would think an internet search for your state, county or even city would get you started down the right path. Most times there is a main outfit that handles all the different places in the state, or at least knows which ones are where.
Have you had anger issues for a long time or is it a new problem?

Ecrofirt

Sorry about the delayed reply. I had to go to my second job, and I can't check the web there.

With regards to my anger issues, I have certainly been angry for a long time. Probably goes all the way back to childhood, though I'm not 100% sure why. My mother had a tendency to whack the shit out of me, and I don't have much affection for her at all now.

In many ways, my wife is a lot like my mother, which I'm sure doesn't help things at all. I don't seem to get super angry around others, and most people would be shocked to know i'm anything less than a perfect gentleman, as I carry myself very well in public.

My wife though, man, she just pushes all my damn buttons. The last two years have been a whirlwind, between marriage and a child soon thereafter, and we didn't actually live together until we were married. Every little thing she does makes me a little bit mad, and it builds and builds until I just blow the fuck up at her.

We've got no love life to speak of, and in most situations I much prefer the comfort of the couch and television at night than my own bed. Things are rapidly spiraling out of control, and I know that at the very least my anger issues are playing a significant part in it. I don't feel like all of our issues are my fault, and in fact, I firmly believe that my wife needs to grow the fuck up about a lot of things and realize that she is an adult with adult responsibilities, and a mother with motherly responsibilities. I do know that I should be able to manage my emotions with regards to her much better than I do now, because this shit is just broken.

kehs

Banned
Over rated bull shit for pussies.

Anyone have any good bacne remedies? These fucking things are getting ridiculous.

Ecrofirt said:
Sorry about the delayed reply. I had to go to my second job, and I can't check the web there.

With regards to my anger issues, I have certainly been angry for a long time. Probably goes all the way back to childhood, though I'm not 100% sure why. My mother had a tendency to whack the shit out of me, and I don't have much affection for her at all now.

In many ways, my wife is a lot like my mother, which I'm sure doesn't help things at all. I don't seem to get super angry around others, and most people would be shocked to know i'm anything less than a perfect gentleman, as I carry myself very well in public.

My wife though, man, she just pushes all my damn buttons. The last two years have been a whirlwind, between marriage and a child soon thereafter, and we didn't actually live together until we were married. Every little thing she does makes me a little bit mad, and it builds and builds until I just blow the fuck up at her.

We've got no love life to speak of, and in most situations I much prefer the comfort of the couch and television at night than my own bed. Things are rapidly spiraling out of control, and I know that at the very least my anger issues are playing a significant part in it. I don't feel like all of our issues are my fault, and in fact, I firmly believe that my wife needs to grow the fuck up about a lot of things and realize that she is an adult with adult responsibilities, and a mother with motherly responsibilities. I do know that I should be able to manage my emotions with regards to her much better than I do now, because this shit is just broken.

Get therapy man. You really sound like you have serious anger issues.

deadbeef

You might try this OP

Beyond Anger: A Guide for Men: How to Free Yourself from the Grip of Anger and Get More Out of Life

By Harbin

I read it before and it seemed to help, but what the problem actually was, was my ex-wife (turns out she WAS crazy, and a cheater, to boot). Now that she is out of my life, I have had no anger problems the past 4 years.

MC Safety

I'd recommend therapy and lots of it.

You're doing yourself and your wife a disservice, and if there's a child involved, you could be putting it at risk.

A psychiatrist will be able to help you address your issues, plus prescribe any medications that may be necessary. Further, he or she can direct you to a hospital or program to help you deal directly with the anger.

zik8xw.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
What the fuck?! Why the fuck would I go to anger management class?! Are you @#$ers for real!?! I'll kill you all!!

Dude Abides

Banned
Ignore the assorted tards and forever-alone losers in this thread, OP. I've never needed anger management but my wife can piss me off mightily at times. It's hard to adjust to living with another person, a new kid, and hold down two jobs. It it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate and it's good that you're trying to resolve your problems before they get out of control.

Slavik81

Yes. When I was way younger. Don't think I learned anything from it. Eventually, I just totally stopped caring. These days, the only thing I'm angry at is myself.

Or, I don't know. Maybe I did. It's been a long time since I've been angry, but the last few times, I just didn't care what anyone thought. I decided I wasn't putting up with any more bullshit, said nothing and left.

RetroMG

Never been to anger management, but I used to have a hair trigger. I never realized how bad it was until I had a conversation with my mother right before I got engaged. She told me marriage was hard work, and she was worried about me, as my temper honestly frightened her. I took it to heart, and vowed that my wife would never see that side of me.
The first year or so was hard, as my wife and I both had a bit of growing up to do. But every time I got angry, I would close my eyes and count slowly to ten, taking deep breaths.
We've been married for nearly five years and I have raised my voice with her once. (On Space Mountain in Disneyland, to tell her I would never go on it again. We laugh about it.) People honestly don't believe me now when I say I used to have a temper.
Don't know if it helps, but that's my story.

I think you are under a lot of stress and it's triggreed by factors at home. be honest with your wife and try couples therapy. I'm not sure you have anger issues but maybe more like issues of resentment towards family? i'm just bullshitting but thast what it sounds like to me.

RetroGamer42 said:
We've been married for nearly five years and I have raised my voice with her once. (On Space Mountain in Disneyland, to tell her I would never go on it again. We laugh about it.)
Happiest place on earth my ass.

way more

If you are honest about this then don't go to a group. Those are for people who are forced to go by the state and they don't want to be there. Just find a one on one therapist/counselor who is geared towards such a thing.

What you typed out is exactly what a counselor is there to listen to. Just go though the phone book and find one nearby or easy to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom