• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever work with a Snitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the OP said "we all vote and hes the only one thats always against"...so if the office is predominantly black, then that means the snitch will always lose. Even without the other white people in the office voting in favor of rap he'll lose.

Story of being the Token Black guy in an office setting....you always lose the vote.

Harmen

I do know two stories and the persons involved, both in different organisations and fields of work. But I fully agreed with said "snitch" persons, as the workenvironment had become a potential hazard, and apparently nobody gave a shit. In one case, it had severe consequences for a whole department for a while, but that is much, much better than having a very dangerous calamity and having to cope with the fallout to that.

That said, there are limits and it always should be discussed with the offenders first. And then maybe the supervisor to assess potential unwanted situations without mentioning names. I think that is very important, to prevent a total backstab.

SKINNER!

Banned
I worked in an office full of them. Same thing as you described. It used to be a laid-back environment until someone from our department snitched and our manager started sending out these near-threatening emails. From then on, the place sucked ass. work colleagues started to feel a bit paranoid. Nobody cared about working at all. The office morale took a massive dive. So snitching coupled with blatant favoritism made me want to get out. I left 10 months ago and never regretted it.

Quixzlizx

He's consistently told my Manager's Manager that he thinks our work environment is unprofessional and we joke and talk Basketball too much.

He doesn't like the fact that we play Hip Hop in the office ( We all vote and hes the only one thats always against)

Pretty much he's the only white dude in a predominantly Black branch.

tumblr_npgh812Nvl1r1tfh9o5_500.gif

Pluto

We didnt fail the audit if thats what youre asking...but its a little too coincidental that he has been complaining and then BOOM an audit happens.
So it could have been a coincidence?

To be honest, I'd complain too if my co-workers listened to Hip Hop all the time, it's his office too, maybe you could let him choose the music every other day? "We voted and he lost" is a shitty argument, you're making him an outsider by excluding him and have you tried talking to him instead about Basketball? Maybe you have common interests, finding them could improve the situation and maybe even his work performance.
He's probably dreading going to work every day, I wouldn't be surprised if on another board he's making a thread about his co-workers who make it impossible for him to be part of the team.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yes, a lot of them. Teaching tends to draw snitch personalities. I find it repulsive and do everything I can to avoid them.
My father has worked as a school headmaster for 30 years and he tells me most teachers have no idea how often teacher snitches go to admin to snitch on their colleagues about anything and everything big and small.

Ray665

Yah, I get it, but he was already singled out when any voting with a predictable outcome was done, lol.

Is it good rap at least, or do you guys listen to Kanye, too?

lol, jk

How funny would it be if the snitch loves hip hop but whole issue with you guys is he is (extremely specific like one of my boys), a east coast early 90s guy. haha

vikki

Does anyone else vote against rap, because they prefer hip hop?

Anyway, this guy may or may not feel singled out because you guys just don't care for whatever the hell this guy likes. You guys work in an office, so the good times never last. Corporate can come in any moment and just change everything. Maybe things will work out, maybe they won't. I can't offer a solution to this problem. Tattles suck, though.

Yes, a lot of them. Teaching tends to draw snitch personalities. I find it repulsive and do everything I can to avoid them.
My father has worked as a school headmaster for 30 years and he tells me most teachers have no idea how often teacher snitches go to admin to snitch on their colleagues about anything and everything big and small.

Does this make his job easier or harder?

Harmen

I have experienced some "intense" music discussions at work before and there race had nothing to do with it. Same goes for soccer over here, not everyone enjoys it when some people talk about that whole day long. Hell, my own group of friends can never agree what to put on, with people loving either rock, dance, hardstyle, r&b. Some people just do not fit in specific companies/groups due to drastically varying personalities. And some workplaces can be unprofessional and unaccessible as well. A balanced workplace is very important, but I can't comment on op's situation at all, as I don't know the people involved nor do I have insight to their workplace.

Rad-

Reminds me of my old work place where everyone else wanted to listen to 50 year old country music except me. I didn't snitch or anything but man it felt like torture to be forced to listen to music you don't like 8 hours a day.

YoungFa

So the whole department should change its ways because one guy can't fit in? That doesn't make much sense.

At least can try to show a bit of consideration. And not be a total dick about it. It is also stupid to behave like op did to the snitching guy, being fully aware that that guy has the power to fuck up your nice work environment. You were not willing to make small sacrifices so you have to make bigger ones now. Next time try to think a bit ahead.

nillah

Banned
Snitches are the outcome of a competitive job market in which people are competing for jobs, thus people making gains on one another for said job its a fucked up system but its not the system everywhere where you also have teamwork, comradely and looking out for one another.

The try-hards who try to get other people in trouble, man I feel sorry for them, really.

Amen. Some teachers are serious tattlers.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Does gaf hate snitching?
No, GAF loves snitching. It's the reason why "backseat modding" is even a thing.

I don't think GAF isn't full of literal snitches (e.g. they're all PMing mods for every little post they don't like asking them to ban those people).

But there's passive aggressive shit like repeatedly quoting a post to bring attention to it in hopes that it gets the user banned or something like that.
Black people go through this all time...so I can..and I don't care.
Ayyyyyy lmao

With the music situation... How about you let everyone pick one artist to listen to... Put those artist in Pandora and put it on shuffle. Make sure it's a diverse list though so its something for everyone..

See how simple that was

That's more on your higher-ups than the guy. Yeah, he's a tool but if his complaints about a culture that was presumably known about and accepted is sweeping in change, then your higher-ups must never have believed in the culture to begin with.

SummitAve

Banned
We had a hidden mini fridge and coffee maker in our cubicle area until somebody working late who had no business in our area decided to wander in and expose our personal appliance ring.

Bandini

Listening to music you don't like at work is the worst. Even though I don't mind rap for the most part, I feel for the dude. I once worked in an office where a dude would play a Grateful Dead bootleg at least once a day. And I had a retail job that played the same shitty Maroon 5 song once an hour. Drove me fucking nuts

So yeah, as others have said, ease up on the music or at least diversify it.

*Splinter

Whenever we have the radio on its pop shite because that's whats ok to the majority of people here. If you don't like it you can listen to your own music on headphones (which I do).

On the other hand that's a rarity, maybe I'd feel differently if the radio was on more often. In that case the other reasonable solution is to find a new job that's a better fit.

Of course this assumes he really has been going to HR and is responsible for the audit, which sounds like a bit of a stretch

120v

can't speak for OP's situation but generally speaking workplace snitches are the worst

Last five years I've been working with a guy who thinks that's his way to promotion, not speaking up about shit that matters but bogus stuff mostly in his head... and to make matters worse I had some drama with his in laws (long story) so he had a bullseye on my head. I nearly got fired so many times but thankfully common sense always prevaled in the end every time.

Dude finally moved to another department thank god. I'd like to think it's because management was fed up with his bullshit

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
maybe the employee isn't the right "fit" for that "environment"
troll.png

nah but dry snitches can die in a fire. There's always one. Just telling on folks and gossiping about stuff that ain't got nothing to do with them.

Black people go through this all time...so I can..and I don't care.

Ahh i was with you right until that comment OP. I think it's up to the team to try and make people feel included and part of something. Having a I don't care attitude is what made him snitch most likely. Do you guys try to have any sort of conversation with the guy?

What kind of hip hop do you guys listen to? I'm black myself but I couldn't work in an environment that was playing trap for more than 10 minutes. Is it censored or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom