• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever work with a Snitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black OP:

ml97iYm.gif

White snitch:

OkMzncE.gif

Boy if you don't get outta here with this lmao I literally spat out my drink

entremet

I will happily concede your points. :)

That said, I wonder how much of the performance issues comes from the employee not being made to feel comfortable in that branch.

Would it be so bad to let that person occasionally pick the music or create a playlist that includes music that they enjoy? I have managed staffs for almost 15 years now, and music has been one of the biggest problem areas. Getting a group of people to agree to any music can be a nightmare.

I do agree that there should be consideration, but the employee should've went to his manager, not HR.

Going to HR instead of your manager for issues causes all sorts of problems.

It sounds like he's an introverted guy and he needs to be able to focus. Music can be problematic for those types.

Every manager should read Susan Cain's Quiet.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/mar/22/quiet-power-introverts-susan-cain-review

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Get the hell out of here? Lol. You need to calm down.

Our difference of opinion is pretty simple: fun and work should not always be tied together. "Fun" is subjective, work is not. The employer dictates what "work" is. People don't "need" to have fun or enjoy their job. Plenty of people don't. And the employer isn't required to provide that fun or comfort, either.

Listening to Mannie Fresh 8 hours a day may be fun to some, and may be torture for others. Employers are required to provide an environment conducive to completion of whatever your job entails.

Whether you like it or not, "fun" isn't a requirement of any workplace but it should be something you should find if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know why you keep mentioning that an employer has no legal obligation to provide "fun" in the office. I never said that nor did I ever imply that. And if I understand you correctly, are you telling me that I can't enjoy my work or have fun because you don't view a job as anything more than work?

My idea of fun is getting to know my coworkers, helping each other, having music if no one objects to it, and continuing our relationships outside of work. If as my coworker you'd rather not be spoken to, then that's fine, I'd rather not get to know you and allow you to simply work, but don't tell me that I can't have "fun" because the company doesn't require that. That is a stupid ass response.

What do you think is being implied by the word "fun"? Orgies and strippers? Trap music at max volume with the lights dimmed low and a strobe light making the rounds? A game of stone face or lipstick dick during lunch hour? Who can fuck the boss before midday? Pin the tail on the asshole?

TheFuzz

oh hell, you just reminded me of his DTA slogan, hahahahah

I feel it

For real. But seriously, assume everyone is out to get you and will do anything to move you out of their way or help themselves. Assuming that has worked out for me so far. And I enjoy my job and enjoy my coworkers.

a.wd

People who change a productive work environment because they don't get on with the team are pretty petty.

I will say it might be beneficial to integrate that person into the team.

TheFuzz

I don't know why you keep mentioning that an employer has no legal obligation to provide "fun" in the office. I never said that nor did I ever imply that. And if I understand you correctly, are you telling me that I can't enjoy my work or have fun because you don't view a job as anything more than work?

My idea of fun is getting to know my coworkers, helping each other, having music if no one objects to it, and continuing our relationships outside of work. If as my coworker you'd rather not be spoken to, then that's fine, I'd rather not get to know you and allow you to simply work, but don't tell me that I can't have "fun" because the company doesn't require that. That is a stupid ass response.

What do you think is being implied by the word "fun"? Orgies and strippers? Trap music at max volume with the lights dimmed low and a strobe light making the rounds? A game of stone face or lipstick dick during lunch hour? Who can fuck the boss before midday? Pin the tail on the asshole?

You can actually did imply thay by saying employees should be able to have "fun and the employer and employee should meet in the middle."

I'm tired of explaining it, but if you're idea of fun somehow makes others miserable, then you can't do it. Here in the US, there are laws specifically stating that. And "fun" is a subjective term. You're not paid by an employer to eat free food and slide down giant blue slides, despite whatever scene you saw in the movie "The Internship."

I'm tired of my explanations being called "stupid ass," so I'm done with you. Anyone else can see my point, so I'll leave it at that. Fun is subjective, so an employer has no obligation to provide that, especially if it alienates or offends others like it does in the OP.

I get the feeling there's more here that the OP is not telling us.

You're right. Our work has a rule that if you show up late you have to buy coffees and/or bagels for the branch.

Usually the managers come in about 15mins later than everyone and take a bit longer on lunch.

These are things he's snitched to upper managment about as well. We know what he's saying because he has confided to the white woman on staff...and she in turn has told us of his dealings.....he even has the cell phone # of our Area manager programmed in his phone and if someone is late guess who gets a text.

My c o worker does this all the time. If there is a problem with a shipment, she gleefully enters the audit log, finds out so made the mistake, then calls you out to client, agent and management. There is no rain for that.

TheFuzz

You're right. Our work has a rule that if you show up late you have to buy coffees and/or bagels for the branch.

Usually the managers come in about 15mins later than everyone and take a bit longer on lunch.

These are things he's snitched to upper managment about as well. We know what he's saying because he has confided to the white woman on staff...and she in turn has told us of his dealings.....he even has the cell phone # of our Area manager programmed in his phone and if someone is late guess who gets a text.

Lol you're entire company is asking for a lawsuit if some of these "rules" are being enforced.

You can actually did imply thay by saying employees should be able to have "fun and the employer and employee should meet in the middle."

I'm tired of explaining it, but if you're idea of fun somehow makes others miserable, then you can't do it. Here in the US, there are laws specifically stating that. And "fun" is a subjective term. You're not paid by an employer to eat free food and slide down giant blue slides, despite whatever scene you saw in the movie "The Internship."

I'm tired of my explanations being called "stupid ass," so I'm done with you. Anyone else can see my point, so I'll leave it at that. Fun is subjective, so an employer has no obligation to provide that, especially if it alienates or offends others like it does in the OP.

Yes, but they should also try to at least create an environment that's enjoyable to work in for the benefit of everyone. They don't need to but it's in their best interests to create a culture where people come to work because they want to and not just because they need to. That doesn't necessarily mean constant office parties, free food or whatever else you're imagining, but giving people space to talk about non-work things is the absolute minimum an employer should be doing.

Agraavan

So she is a "snitch" too but that's fine because she is on "your side"? Gotcha.

Sounds like a nice guy. Get into the office late one time and spit in the coffee you give him.

My c o worker does this all the time. If there is a problem with a shipment, she gleefully enters the audit log, finds out so made the mistake, then calls you out to client, agent and management. There is no rain for that.
How is it acceptable for an employee to handle this in front of the clients, instead of dealing with it internally? I'd fire someone like that within the month.

How is it one person nobody seemingly likes is still employed? I've never worked someplace that would keep one person on staff if rest the department felt they couldn't work with them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

So the white woman is snitching on him? lol. Wth is going on at this place.

TheFuzz

Yes, but they should also try to at least create an environment that's enjoyable to work in for the benefit of everyone. They don't need to but it's in their best interests to create a culture where people come to work because they want to and not just because they need to. That doesn't necessarily mean constant office parties, free food or whatever else you're imagining, but giving people space to talk about non-work things is the absolute minimum an employer should be doing.

I agree, good employers should provide that. But my point, specifically, is using an example you stated: "giving people space to talk about non-work things is the absolute minimum."

It's actually not, and in the US no employer is required to provide said space for that reason. Again, a GOOD employer would. If OP or "the snitch" isn't happy, they should find another employer. That being said, the culture established where the OP works is ripe for a lot of potential legal issues.

Lol you're entire company is asking for a lawsuit if some of these "rules" are being enforced.

They arent enforced. But if you accept someones offer to buy you a bagel because they were late. Then when the time comes when youre late youre expected to return the gesture.

Quixzlizx

Was he like this the day he was hired, or did he go into maximum spite mode once everyone basically told him to go fuck himself over the music?

What he's doing is still way over the top, but you're going to trigger a lot of passive-aggressive fuckbois in the workplace if you go out of your way to make them feel small.

mcrommert

Banned
He's consistently told my Manager's Manager that he thinks our work environment is unprofessional and we joke and talk Basketball too much.

He doesn't like the fact that we play Hip Hop in the office ( We all vote and hes the only one thats always against)

Pretty much he's the only white dude in a predominantly Black branch.

Sounds like your work environment is unprofessional and he was right to "snitch"

jorma

is now taking requests

So snitching seems to be pretty common at your workplace.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

No, I actually did not say the bolded. Please provide the quote.

Your entire post is pointless because it is predicated on the idea that I said having fun at work is acceptable even if it should make another person uncomfortable, when I clarified and said that the fun should be within legal constraints and not alienate other individuals. Your point is god damn stupid since you're responding to something I never said. Any sane person is going to agree that if the fun you're having is making another person feel uncomfortable, then it's not acceptable. I never said otherwise.

And your other issue is that you are sweeping every employer under the same umbrella as if every company advocates for misery and nothing but work. There are companies out there, depending on the business, that require a host of different responsibilities, one of which - *gasp* - might actually be to mingle and have fun with your clients. I wouldn't have to bring up this very obvious point if you didn't keep on with your inane notion that enjoying work is "not required" (no shit) and that our employers don't need to provide anything but what is necessary to complete the job (which I never said, but once again, no shit).

I agree, good employers should provide that. But my point, specifically, is using an example you stated: "giving people space to talk about non-work things is the absolute minimum."

It's actually not, and in the US no employer is required to provide said space for that reason. Again, a GOOD employer would. If OP or "the snitch" isn't happy, they should find another employer. That being said, the culture established where the OP works is ripe for a lot of potential legal issues.

You're taking what I'm saying too literally or something. I'm not saying they legally need to do so, but if they don't want their employees looking to jump ship at the nearest possible opportunity then yes, they do need to facilitate a friendly environment if they want staff that are worth a damn.

TheFuzz

They arent enforced. But if you accept someones offer to buy you a bagel because they were late. Then when the time comes when youre late youre expected to return the gesture.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Bear in mind, if the snitch doesn't want to participate and is, in any way at all, alienated or treated differently for not participating, you could be in trouble.

I should state I work in HR and for and employment law, so I'm just making sure everyone is aware.

LCGeek

formerly sane
pretty sure most people hate snitching

if you've got issues with somebody, you say it to them, you don't go behind their back like a weasel

Most people don't even know what real snitching is these days. I'm amazed at how the word get used in the public despite most situations not being applied correctly for what it meant.

Being a coward isn't cool no excuse to get it wrong.

As for the op sounds like manner that could be bettered handled before HR got involved.

kirblar

We also had a guy that didn't like our laid back office environment. He'd time people whenever someone would have a conversation with someone else. Upper management will put on breakfasts and lunches for us every now and then. At the last breakfast he told the person he worked closest with that he wanted her to go straight back to her desk and not hang out with everyone else while eating. She didn't listen.

He was fired and our laid back environment remains intact.
This is the only real solution.

Blabbermouths sure, but never snitches. Don't think I could work with someone like that.
This. He was a nice guy, but damn the dude could talk. Unfortunately he was really close to the owner so anything that was said to him, he would parrot to the higher power.

Thankfully, as of last Thursday, he was moved to the other location so we won't have to deal with any of that.

TheFuzz

You're taking what I'm saying too literally or something. I'm not saying they legally need to do so, but if they don't want their employees looking to jump ship at the nearest possible opportunity then yes, they do need to facilitate a friendly environment if they want staff that are worth a damn.

I agree 100%. Problem is, A LOT of companies aren't worth a damn. But people just stay working there. My only point was that a vey successful company with employees who are paid well can be a REALLY shitty workplace.

My real point was that the original post I quoted had expectations of what an employer should provide. Those aren't necessarily real-world and aren't required to be. I may have worded it poorly but that's my main point.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
If your work environment is such that there are aspects of it that if reported to HR would cause problems then the work environment is the problem.

The fact that you would even categorize the person who spoke to HR as a snitch means you have a problem.

If your work environment is such that there are aspects of it that if reported to HR would cause problems then the work environment is the problem.

The fact that you would even categorize the person who spoke to HR as a snitch means you have a problem

All that needs to be said really.

mcrommert

Banned
I agree 100%. Problem is, A LOT of companies aren't worth a damn. But people just stay working there. My only point was that a vey successful company with employees who are paid well can be a REALLY shitty workplace.

My real point was that the original post I quoted had expectations of what an employer should provide. Those aren't necessarily real-world and aren't required to be. I may have worded it poorly but that's my main point.

yep

Gotcha. That makes sense. Bear in mind, if the snitch doesn't want to participate and is, in any way at all, alienated or treated differently for not participating, you could be in trouble.

I should state I work in HR and for and employment law, so I'm just making sure everyone is aware.

He was made aware and he's always early so he's actually never had to pay for anything.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Better way of summing up my posts. +1. There is a workplace environment issue, and it's not "the snitch."

Constantly messaging someone everytime someone comes in just a little late is a problem. Now if the person was lying on time sheets as well that is something else.

The fact that you would even categorize the person who spoke to HR as a snitch means you have a problem.

yep, pretty spot on.

If there's no problem, there's no snitch.

Pretty much my sentiment too.

TheFuzz

Constantly messaging someone everytime someone comes in just a little late is a problem. Now if the person was lying on time sheets as well that is something else.

Depends on the workplace and the nature of the Job.

If Mike shows up 15 min late everyday, doesn't stay late, doesn't buy me a late bagel and blasts Chammilionaire for 7 straight hours, then Id be inclined to complain too.

Playing music that not everyone likes strikes me as really obnoxious, so I can understand how that could start some hostility. My office is pretty laid back but if you want to listen to music, you put on headphones.

Viewt

Man, I'm so glad to be out of this kind of clique-y, drama-filled office. After years of toxic environments, I've spent the last two years at a job where everybody gets along fine. People aren't exactly best buds, but everyone respects each other and tension is rare.

As far as the OP's situation, sounds like he's a fucking tool, so you don't care about freezing him out. Neither of you are really doing the "right thing," but if it's for the betterment of the office culture for his attitude to be scorned and belittled, well... do what you gotta do, I guess?

I do KIND of sympathize with the guy if he can't escape music he hates, though. An old boss of mine would play the same playlist of 20 reggae songs on repeat for MONTHS, and it drove us insane. I'm a big believer in everyone wearing headphones, especially in a big open space (dunno if your office is set up that way, OP).

BigBeauford

Sounds like this place is simultaneously promoting an environment that allows for people to be late, making others pick up the slack, among other things."Oh you're late, that's cool here's my bagels/coffee that I brought".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom