• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

Spike

I would love to be able to afford the Switch and Zelda. But, sadly, there is no way. So I will live vicariously through everyone here.

We've been struggling just to survive. And then, to top it all off, my father was killed in an auto accident just before Christmas. All he had was a trailer that he was living in, and he owed so much money that even it has been taken away.

The little savings that I had left after burying my uncle, went to burying my father. My little brother and I are slowly selling off pretty much everything we have in order to get by. We both know that eventually they will go and wonder what happens then.

Thankfully, our neighbour gives us access to his wifi internet so I can check my emails and do my job search. We live off milk, bread, and water. Times are pretty bad for us. It has to get better at some point, doesn't it?

Malus

I would love to be able to afford the Switch and Zelda. But, sadly, there is no way. So I will live vicariously through everyone here.

We've been struggling just to survive. And then, to top it all off, my father was killed in an auto accident just before Christmas. All he had was a trailer that he was living in, and he owed so much money that even it has been taken away.

The little savings that I had left after burying my uncle, went to burying my father. My little brother and I are slowly selling off pretty much everything we have in order to get by. We both know that eventually they will go and wonder what happens then.

Thankfully, our neighbour gives us access to his wifi internet so I can check my emails and do my job search. We live off milk, bread, and water. Times are pretty bad for us. It has to get better at some point, doesn't it?

Fuck man I hope things get better.

-MD-

I have a preorder but my hype is low, Odyssey is the game I really want to play and that's probably not out until November at the absolute earliest.

Only thing I'd have to play until Odyssey is Zelda and it's hard to justify a $350 purchase for 1 game when I have tons of stuff to play on PC/PS4.

I never pre-order. I usually wait it out and get what I need years later, when its cheaper and there are tons of games on it. For the most part, there's nothing lost in the experience, although these days with online games, sometimes communities can dwindle.

First time I ever put in a pre-order was E3 2015, pre-ordered Xenoblade X. Worked out for me because they ended up making a mistake and only charging me $20 for it instead of $70 :p

I will get a Switch eventually, if only for Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem, but there are some more promising RPGs and a handful of other games as well.

grizzelye

Hasn't changed, can't wait to play Zelda BotW! Kinda glad that there isn't much games for switch, already have so many games to get on PS4/XBOX

deleted

I was slightly worried about the prices at first, but since then I got a preorder in another country for a much better price (350 Euro for the Switch with Zelda and shipping) - I'm quite hyped for this machine.

It's basically tailor made for me. I play lot's of game in local MP and I need something to game on longer train rides that happen all the time (2.5-3 hours). I'm looking forward to Nintendo's output on this machine and I'm quite hopeful that it'll meet a better fate than the Wii U.

eoa-swam

Fingers crossed things get better for you dude.

JaseMath

A little different for me. Not so much because of the system or games (I think the system is going to be rad and BoTW is enough for me personally), but because my wife and I are currently going through some financial issues that should and need to be addressed before we piss money away on fun things (hence why I sadly haven't picked up great looking games like RE7, Yakuza 0, or GR2 yet and I may have to wait a little while before picking up Horizon).

I have considered canceling the pre-order and just wait for the holiday season when more games are released, but my wife is insistent that I still pick it up because she knows I am excited for BoTW.
You have an awesome wife.

guek

Banned

Stay strong

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Oh, wow. I'm really sorry that you guys are going through this. In 2015, my wife lost her Uncle and Grandmother within months of each other. It really isn't easy and it sounds like you guys are really having a rough go of things. I hope things turn around for you guys soon!!

Edit: Can you guys apply for Food Stamps? I have to think you would get more than just bread, milk and water.

zeexlash

Well, events have meant I'll be working that weekend and my pre-ordered Switch will be sitting in its box for a few days.. still excited though.

Zampano

I cancelled my preorder a few days after I made it and don't regret my decision. I will play Zelda on the WiiU and pick one up when Mario's out. Just no need for me, as a WiiU owner, to purchase yet.

JP

Nope, not at all.

Pre-ordered the day pre-orders went live but cancelled it within a week. What I usually do with consoles is to pre-order them then cancel just before launch if they've not managed to convince me it was worth it, I've never felt the need to cancel a pre-order that quickly before.

Gitaroo

Still feel the same, I still think the system will bomb big time after inital launch hype (first 6 months) just like 3ds did and fully expect ambasodor 2.0 for early adopters or simply nothing at all which won't surprise me. And I know I am wasting my money and should wait for price drop or at least a pack in game, Nintendo is commiting suicide with this kind of pricing in many region. They should be use JP 30000 yen MSRP as a base which is lower not 300USD. All their financial report convert everything to yen. Still hope they would come to their senses before launch, if you loose the momentum at the beginning of the race it takes a lot more to catch up. Not to mention their competitors already have a 3 years head start with a huge library. Looking at Switch launch line up, nintendo clearly still don't get it even after WiiU and the rocky 3ds launch.

lastplace09

Neo Member
I'm keeping my pre-order because:

1. It's still a cool toy that I must hold in my hands.

2. I barely paid anything for it because I had trade-in credit that was just sitting around on a gift card.

3. I've never been truly disappointed with a Nintendo game...

Jonboy

I dig that avatar.
Thank you! Big fan of Mario and Mariota so it seemed like a perfect fit, haha. Actually got Bill Trinen to tweet back at me once about it (he's fan of Mariota from his Oregon days).

You know they won't. They'll release GameCube joycons down the line and ask you to pay $80 before buying VC Cube games. I love them, but that's how they operate.
Pretty much what I'm expecting, lol.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I am happy with my Preorder. Thanks to Walmart, I'm getting my preorder at Best Buy for $286. Thanks to Best Buy screwing up trying to credit the order, they are crediting my order the price match and giving me a courtesy $25 gift card. $261 balance. I'll take it, close enough to the $250 I wanted.

I imagine there might be a lot of Switch VC games catching me up on re-releases of games I want, and at the least, the usual suspects in terms of first party releases. I'm already seeing some interesting third party support. I skipped Wii U and haven't owned a portable Nintendo since DS. Hoping for the best.

This s literally part of my thoughts and its depressing as fuck. I've sunk so much money into my overall PS library it literally makes me sick to my stomach that i'm not able to play stuff. Adding on to that pile is just giving me anxiety issues.

Yeah, I've decided not to buy any more ps4 games until I'm done with Zelda. By then hopefully it won't be too long until horizon and resident evil get a discount.

canocha

Can anyone tell me which case this is?

Probably the Nintendo one.

81TWt%2B-dbeL._SL1500_.jpg

Az987

all good things
I'll probably cancel mine. I just preordered because I wasn't sure if I wanted it but knew it'd sell out. I'd rather have the neon too and that wasn't up when I preordered.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I need to get around to canceling my preorder. Not impressed with the system and only pre-ordered as a place holder just in case. Next year may be a better idea as it is barren of games for the rest of the year and i am done buying consoles that collect dust for most of the year.

Have a neon on order, but also got a grey just incase I wanted that one more. But decided I don't want the grey, so if someone wants my grey Amazon pre-order you can PM me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A big part of me wants to cancel.

I'd be buying it for Zelda since the other launch games don't interest me. Then it's a long wait until Splatoon 2 and then eventually Mario. Arms looks neat, but not to the point where I'd drop $60 on it. I'm too spoiled by cheap PC games.

Then I'd likely need another $80 joycon so we could all play multiplayer together. I'd need a memory card and a subscription to their online service. It's a lot of money. Money that could be put to better use for my PC. It also doesn't help that my confidence in the Switch's future has flatlined since the reveal.

So that's been on my mind. If I was certain the kids would play it, that would be a whole other story. But I know they won't bother with it. At least not until Mario shows up.

Well, nope. Playing Zelda and Mario Kart 8 on the go is totally worth the money :D

Still pondering if I should get 1-2 Switch so I can play it with my friends at parties. Probably will... or maybe not :eek:

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I'm getting very impatient and increasingly excited as the days go by. As for the online stuff and features that will replace StreetPass and Miiverse - in Nintendo I trust!

Just as excited as i was when i put my pre-order down also if all this

Legend of Zelda breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
1,2 Switch
SnipperClips
Fast rmx
Shovel knight
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Sonic Mania
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Sonic 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yook-laylee
Monecraft

does manage to come out this year im going to enjoy my first year with but i expect xenoblade to get delayed.

Kyoufu

Okay, I went ahead and cancelled. There's just too many games I'm excited to play in the coming weeks and months, starting with Nioh next week, followed by Horizon at the end of the month and so on and so on. It's a very busy period.

I'll definitely grab one when it makes sense to.

Azerare

I think i may get rid of my order on amazon. The closer launch gets, the more i see on pricing of accessories and the line up. I could probably wait till december.

AgeEighty

If anything, I feel more excited about it after the many hands-on impressions that have come in since preorders went up. It's going to be hard waiting another month.

Getting it for superior Zelda version but nothing else that interests me besides Mario Odyssey so I'm hoping they have more core software to show at E3. Honestly, I'm disappointed by the lack of streaming services at launch and the variety of launch games. From where I'm standing I'm pessimistic about its future but I hope I'm wrong. Pre-ordered anyway even though it seems to lack some of the features of the Wii U that I really appreciated.

I pre-ordered the moment pre-orders went up, then started trawling through the information being posted on Gaf.

I canceled less than 12 hours later. I'll get it if they start pricing their accessories more reasonably, the price drops below 200€, and they allow me to connect a USB HDD to the dock. Oh, and provided it's not a massive failure.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Still need to know about online and digital content management and os features to decide

That can change my mind from not buying for several years to trying to get one asap

SuperPac

i don't feel any differently. I was excited after the October reveal. The January 13th presentation was awful but the Treehouse stream afterward salvaged it. And then all the hands-on impressions that have been hitting afterward have kept my hype levels up. I have 2 systems preordered (one neon, one gray) and may keep both so my daughter and I can play.

Strampas

Neo Member
I was going to wait, and still might, for Mario to be released. But I put my Wii U up for sale a couple of days ago and now I'm not sure what to do. If I should sell it now and get a switch and Zelda, or wait maybe a year, and try to sell my Wii U then and buy a Switch.

Davilmar

If you would have told me a month ago that I would have pre-ordered a Nintendo Switch, I would have laughed in your face and called Nintendo pathetic. With the exception of the SNES, I have been a majority PlayStation fan. I remember the launches for the PS1, PS2, PS3 and bought the PS4 at launch in spite of shortages. For many years, I never considered Nintendo a serious competitor outside the novelty factor of well-known series and quirky mechanics in their consoles and games.

I still maintain a tremendous respect for Nintendo on their handheld side, even with me owning both a PSP and PS Vita. I have bought the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DSi, original 3DS and regular New Nintendo 3DS. I have enjoyed their largely affordable prices and great lineup of games. My tastes in games have changed over the years, and I have been burned with Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, open-world games, RPGs and other AAA games. I have no interest in Horizon, have a moderate interest in Nier, already played the Japanese version of Yakuza 0, and am only excited for Persona 5. Heck, I never touched a Persona game until P4G on the VIta, and am currently beating P3FES for my PS2. I even went and bought Shin Megami Tense IV and Apocalypse. I am having a blast with the former, and am excited to tackle Apocalypse.

A wonderful user here managed to give me his Amazon order for the Neon Switch, and I am bewildered to be here. Had the Switch not released on my birthday month, I would have never thrown this money for both the console and Zelda. Hell, I barely got a Craiglist Wii U with several games barely five months ago. I am excited for my first Zelda game in a long time, after relatively being indifferent or loathing of the newer games. Positive impressions of the console, along with future iterations of my favorite 3DS handheld games have me deeply interested. I also love Mario far more than Zelda, but BotW looks to be departing from a lot of norms in Zelda. I can't believe a Sony dude managed to get pulled into the Nintendo hype, even in spite of the embarrassing presentation and numerous faults with the release. Not sure what to say, but I am excited to see what the Switch brings.

Rathorial

I was a bit hesitant at first with the pre-order, but I'm pretty solidified now on it. Especially because I'm financing the console over a few months, while I save money now for whatever taxes I'll be owing for last year.

Zelda continues to look fantastic, after seeing Arms and Splatoon 2 gameplay footage those are looking more enticing, and I'm curious what else they'll have to show for E3.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I still have my preorder with Amazon. I was super hyped but my excitement is definitely waning. Horizon comes out a few days earlier which is troublesome and Mass Effect comes out a few weeks later in which time I will completely abandon the Switch to play that. I am seriously on the fence about keeping my preorder.

I go back and forth day by day over canceling my preorder for similar reasons.

Current plan is to skip Horizon for now, and beat Zelda before Mass Effect.

But the more I see of Horizon, the more I'm unsure of whether I'd rather play it or Zelda.

The more I think about Switch pricing, the more I question whether it's worth it for me. $300 for an underpowered console since I'll rarely use portable mode and even when traveling it's a bit larger since I try to be pretty minimal in lugging shit around. Want a pro controller, that's another $70. Will eventually need an SD card for patches and DLC, that's more cash. Have to pay for online on yet another platform,and the one I play online the least based on WIi U experience.

Game wise, Zelda is a must play--but I can play on Wii U if that version isn't too gimped. Mario would be nice if it turns out well. Other stuff like MK8, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors I'm not 100% sure I'd even make time for given all the games on PC and PS4 this year that I'm more excited for.

Decisions, Decisions. Also just booked a 10 day trip to Italy/Greece so that's a big chunk out of the budget as well. Having the Switch for the flight would be nice I guess, but as above it's pretty bulky and we're aiming to minimize bags as we're hitting a bunch of cities and don't want to have to lug more stuff around that we have to.

Currently I'm debating on selling my racing wheel/pedals/stand as that is feeling more and more like a HUGE waste of money given how little I've used it after the first six months or so. If I can find a taker locally (too big/heavy to bother with shipping) that would more than pay for my Switch, Zelda, Pro Controller and Zelda Amiibo and make the decision to keep the preorder a lot easier.

Jonboy

I go back and forth day by day over canceling my preorder for similar reasons.
I feel ya.

Right now, I'm leaning toward cancelling. Horizon, Persona, and Mass Effect are all huge games that will keep me busy for quite some time. I'll probably reevaluate around the holidays if there's a Mario bundle or something.

The only thing that's holding me back from cancelling now is I'm waiting to hear officially what's happening with the VC. Any day 1 support for it at all could convince me to keep the preorder.

Paskil

I am on the fence and could go either way with cancelling my preorder. The only games I want that have been announced before Mario releases are Zelda and Bomberman. I have Kart on WiiU (and could get BotW on WiiU) and have no interest in Splatoon or Smash.

I am like 80% certain I will cancel. Especially with the lack of things like a browser that would give me a tablet for getting into digital comic books (I don't have a tablet).

Top Bottom