• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone going XsX + PC next gen? And why?

Ascend

If I do it's because of BC. If some of my favorite console exclusive BC games get 120 FPS updates I will most likely go XSX and PC exclusive for most of next gen. Game Pass could also be tempting as I have that for another 3 years and the PC and console lists are different.

Extremely small chance I buy PS5 at launch. There simply won't be enough exclusives to satisfy me in the first few years. Exclusives are the only reason I'd buy a PlayStation. PS+ failed me when they dropped to only two games and if I bought a PS5 I'd have to consider re-upping to that service which left a sour taste in my mouth after supporting them for years.

I also don't think I could be satisfied with a 9-10 Tflop next-gen machine. I could see myself buying a Pro maybe 5 years down the road if there are still exclusives worth buying that didn't show up on PC.
Never thought I'd fully agree with you, but here we are.

PC and Switch is optimal.

PC covers Xbox, and any future PS exclusives that make their way over. Switch covers Nintendo and is portable.

With this combo I’m filling up all my free time and really only missing a few games a year which I can live with.

REE Machine

Banned
Ill own all systems eventually but im going ps5 pc, if its on xbox itll come to pc gamepass or other means. There are still an abundant of ps exclusives not on pc

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It does seem like a rather redundant combo since the PC and Xbox will share the same first party titles by MS. I can already play all the big Microsoft titles on my PC, so what's the point of an XSX? It makes much more sense to use that money on a console with different exclusives so your game library actually grows.

I'll absolutely get the PS5 later this year, I haven't been let down by a new Playstation console yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade my PC this year when the new Nvidia cards arrive or wait another two years for the GTX 4080. I think I'll stick with my current PC setup, PS4 (and in Q4 PS5) plus a Swtich. That setup covers all bases.

Havoc2049

I’m a current gen Xbox and PC gamer and plan to stay that way for next gen. I even have both of them hooked up to the same monitor on the same desk and I run a dual monitor set-up for my PC. I’ll usually have both my XBox and PC running at the same time on separate monitors. I’m totally invested in the hardcore Xbox Live multiplayer community though and in my gaming circles anyways, there are tons of XB+PC gamers.

I also have a large physical XB, X360 and XB1 collection of around 400 games, so backwards compatibility is awesome for me, for replaying great games of the past, working on my backlog and finding gems that I never played. I hope more OG Xbox games get added to the mix next gen.

SNG32

I’m going to be getting both XSX and PS5 this year and then probably get a new gaming laptop once the switch 2 comes out.

Last edited:

Kayoba

I'm most likely going with PS5, which will join my current lineup of Switch and PC. My current PS4 will then join my old Xbox360 and gather dust until I buy a new TV.

If the new Xbox console were backward compatible with all the Xbox games I have, I would've easily bought the new Xbox and trashed my old 360 console. Sadly, not all games are backward compatible, so I'll keep the old horse for now.

I would like to know if you will be buying the Xbox Series X in November even though you have a decent Gaming PC. Since all future Xbox Games are coming to PC too, there is actually no need to buy a XsX console. Is it because of Gamepass? Cross-Buy/Smart Delivery? Power? Do you want to start a game on PC and play it later on the couch? Please explain it to me, since I cant understand why you wouldn't buy a PS5 instead to enjoy both platforms.

No, i can play everything on my Gaming PC. PS5 doesn't warrant a purchase because there's nothing worth interesting confirmed for it, and the PS4 had nothing that interested me that i couldn't already play on PC.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Seems counter productive to get both doesn't it? You get every Xbox exclusive on PC, plus the entire PC/Indie exclusives on Steam, then the third party PlayStation exclusives that come to Steam. If you get a PC all you're really missing is Sony first party. Microsoft doesn't concern themselves either way though, with how their building the games division off subscriptions, the console sales are icing on the cake.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HDR on pc is not well supported and it is on the xbox brand. I want to play game on my pc (strategy wargame, not some peasant shooter) than doesnt exist elsewhere. So ill play the blockbuster game on xbox where I will have consistent 4k HDR and some other game on pc.

The HDR growing pains are mostly behind us. We'll probably see universal support in console ports next gen.

Seems counter productive to get both doesn't it? You get every Xbox exclusive on PC, plus the entire PC/Indie exclusives on Steam, then the third party PlayStation exclusives that come to Steam. If you get a PC all you're really missing is Sony first party. Microsoft doesn't concern themselves either way though, with how their building the games division off subscriptions, the console sales are icing on the cake.

You need quite a beefy PC go play at 4k HDR these days with a consistent framerate. I'll go the Xbox series X route then upgrade my gtx1080 later in 2021.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes; mostly for my wife though. I mainly PC game and then the occasional Playstation exclusive but she plays on both consoles.

Also I'm a gadget nerd and just like having the latest tech to check out.

Lmao seems redundant as everything on Xbox is also launching on PC... Seems like it makes more sense to go PS5 and Series X or PS5 and PC.

My One X is actually on Ebay at the moment, decided PC and PS5 for me. All x games are on PC and look better, and with Sony having best 1st party games, I think this combo makes most sense. Been an Xbox gamer since the original!

Halo, game pad and Game Pass.

I work on a PC every day. I can't stand staring at the monitor more.

I will probably build a higher end PC by the middle of the generation.

LostDonkey

I plan on keeping my PC but I'm not sure if it will be able to keep up with next gen and I don't plan on sinking any money into it to find out.

I'll be getting XSX on the monthly plan to spread the cost out.

if by slim chance my rig can run next gen games then I'll have the XSX in the living room to carry over to.

The plus point of a smallish box over a pc is the ease which I can take it to a friend's to play rather that the enormously heavy Tower.

No one likes turning up with a huge PC tower in the boot of the car and lugging it around. Can also take it on holiday with me.

There's plenty of plus points to having both XSX and PC other than duuuuuhhhhh no excluuuuusivesssss duhhhhhh.

Also what's with the can't understand why you wouldn't get a ps5 instead so you can enjoy both platforms. like lol wtf.

I'll be planning on the PS5 as well like I do every gen. It's not one or the other you know you can have both right?

Last edited:

Lillie

Most likely XSX and PC for me because of my digital library being completely pc, xbox 360, and xbox one. Game pass ultimate giving me console and pc games at release is most likely enough for me for next gen.

1. I plan on keeping my PC but I'm not sure if it will be able to keep up with next gen and I don't plan on sinking any money into it to find out.

I'll be getting XSX on the monthly plan to spread the cost out.

if by slim chance my rig can run next gen games then I'll have the XSX in the living room to carry over to.

The plus point of a smallish box over a pc is the ease which I can take it to a friend's to play rather that the enormously heavy Tower.

No one likes turning up with a huge PC tower in the boot of the car and lugging it around. Can also take it on holiday with me.

2. There's plenty of plus points to having both XSX and PC other than duuuuuhhhhh no excluuuuusivesssss duhhhhhh.

Also what's with the can't understand why you wouldn't get a ps5 instead so you can enjoy both platforms. like lol wtf.

I'll be planning on the PS5 as well like I do every gen. It's not one or the other you know you can have both right?
1. This is what I am worried about. I for the most part decided on building a new PC over XSX, but I really don't like spending a ton of money on PC builds. I generally stick to mid range components. I really think I should wait for RTX3000 series, and Ryzen 4000 instead of going with the build I'm buying now. Unfortunately they've said nothing about a 1660 successor which was the route I was going.

2. Maybe it's because I'm into minimalism, but I can't really think of any outside of ease of use on the Xbox side, and backwards compatibility (most of those games are on PC however). I'm not trying to be combative btw, I'm just genuinely curious what your opinion is.

PC and Switch is optimal.

PC covers Xbox, and any future PS exclusives that make their way over. Switch covers Nintendo and is portable.

With this combo I’m filling up all my free time and really only missing a few games a year which I can live with.
I see so many posts like this despite nothing being confirmed about anything coming to PC outside of like Horizon.

I see so many posts like this despite nothing being confirmed about anything coming to PC outside of like Horizon.

Every Xbox exclusive has been released on PC for a while now. They have started releasing them on Steam as well.

Do you have a reason to think that’s going to stop?

Xbox Approach to PC gaming

“And just as we committed on the console, it is our intent to include new games from Xbox Game Studios in Xbox Game Pass for PC the same day as their global release, including titles from newly acquired studios like Obsidian and inXile.”

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would like to know if you will be buying the Xbox Series X in November even though you have a decent Gaming PC. Since all future Xbox Games are coming to PC too, there is actually no need to buy a XsX console. Is it because of Gamepass? Cross-Buy/Smart Delivery? Power? Do you want to start a game on PC and play it later on the couch? Please explain it to me, since I cant understand why you wouldn't buy a PS5 instead to enjoy both platforms.
I already have a gaming PC, but to upgrade my GPU to a 2080 super, currently $719 on newegg,(equivalent of the XSX) it would create a bottleneck with my CPU (I currently have an i5 8400 1070ti). This would mean I'd have to then upgrade my cpu. If I upgrade my CPU I'd switch from Intel to AMD and probably go with Ryzen 7 3900x (currently $499). Getting an AMD cpu means i need a new motherboard. An x570 basically means I would need to shell out another $220 to make the switch to AMD.

Basically what I'm saying is spending $500 on a console is a much smarter decision for my situation. It may even be cheaper than that if the rumors are to be believed. So I'll keep my PC, maybe upgrade when the current top of the line comes down in price a bit but spending 3 times as much on an upgrade to my PC just isn't worth it right now. Prices are out of control. The XsX is guaranteed to play it's games better than my current pc will be able to do.

I'm also getting a PS5 for the same reason. Price will be manageable and it will play Playstation games better than my current PC can...or did you forget that Sony's games are also going to PC, although most likely not day and date.

Last edited:

Phase

I've been oc'ing my current pc and it's been perfectly adequate for everything I want to play. I've got a ps4 which I also use pretty frequently. But I consider my Xbox One X a waste of a purchase. The only time I've used it in the last year was to play Lost Odyssey (backwards compatible).

Honestly? I probably won't be getting a console this generation.

Every Xbox exclusive has been released on PC for a while now. They have started releasing them on Steam as well.

Do you have a reason to think that’s going to stop?

Xbox Approach to PC gaming

“And just as we committed on the console, it is our intent to include new games from Xbox Game Studios in Xbox Game Pass for PC the same day as their global release, including titles from newly acquired studios like Obsidian and inXile.”
My post references the Sony exclusives on PC not Xbox.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been primarily a PC gamer and I don't see that changing. I've owned a PS4 since release (and a PS4 Pro since it was released) and have just now started to dig into the catalog of PS4 exclusive titles. I also have a Xbox one that I probably haven't turned on in 4+ years, just because all of the Xbox One's exclusives are also on PC.

I don't really see a reason to buy an Xbox next-gen since I know that all of their games will come to PC so I'm going PS5 and whatever Nintendo may introduce. I'll also keep my PC upgraded but at this point (3900x & 2080ti) it will run anything released for the next several years.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Because I just got a pretty beefy gaming PC, absolutely not -- Microsoft has given me literally zero incentive to do so. I can play every single first party game on PC day one and have a better experience.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I have been thinking about this. Imagine if in future we can have:

PC for the unnecessary god-tier graphics and experiences (VR).

A beefy Nintendo Switch for your favorite Nintendo games AND both the Cloud App and PSNOW app to STREAM your fave Xbox and PlayStation tiles.

This is never gonna happen I know.

Over 250 games on Xbox and that's where my friends are. Recently considered pc but found out the specs I want is $1800+ so I figure I'll wait until xsx in the fall at 5-800$ and wait for xcloud for pc. I really want that controller mount for the phone so I can game on the go when I have a good connection. That's 16-20 $60 games I could buy instead by waiting for xcloud rather than buying a pc.

killatopak

PS5 + XSX.

PC part prices are ridiculous in my country. Much more bang for buck with XSX at least being subsidized.

Last edited:

Raelgun

Mostly prefer to play on PC - regularly keep it up to spec, and looking forward to a 3080Ti in September (if it launches 🤞)

Got a Switch - but only for Nintendo exclusives

Will get PS5 - for Sony exclusives

But will also get an Xbox series X - to play the best versions of multiplatform games that dont release on PC or are timed console exclusives, like EA UFC games, or Rockstar games eg GTA6

Ascend

Senseless combination.
Why though? There are multiple uses and many reasons for having both.

One is flexibility. If I have my PC in a small room and the console in the living room, the advantage of having to buy a game only once and being able to play it on both the console and the PC is extremely convenient. You can even use the same controller on both if you prefer.

Another one is the great BC they are implementing. Imagine being able to pop in games from early 2000 in your new console and play it with very little hassle. Above that, you're getting improved visual quality and framerates without having to do any tweaking yourself. On PC you'd have to worry about widescreen fixes, compatibility issues, controller issues and so on. You can get it to run, but in many games it will be a hassle to actually play it without having to do a bunch of stuff first.

If you use your PC for anything else at any time, like video editing or mining, you can use the console in the meantime.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why though? There are multiple uses and many reasons for having both.

One is flexibility. If I have my PC in a small room and the console in the living room, the advantage of having to buy a game only once and being able to play it on both the console and the PC is extremely convenient. You can even use the same controller on both if you prefer.

Another one is the great BC they are implementing. Imagine being able to pop in games from early 2000 in your new console and play it with very little hassle. Above that, you're getting improved visual quality and framerates without having to do any tweaking yourself. On PC you'd have to worry about widescreen fixes, compatibility issues, controller issues and so on. You can get it to run, but in many games it will be a hassle to actually play it without having to do a bunch of stuff first.

If you use your PC for anything else at any time, like video editing or mining, you can use the console in the meantime.

From the perspective of a gamer and not from a Xbox fan, there’s very little added value. PC -Switch, PC - PS5 are combos that will expand your gaming landscape.

Obviously if you don’t want PS5/Switch exclusives, and you really want a Xbox even though you have a gaming PC then sure, you can make little things add up.

Ascend

From the perspective of a gamer and not from a Xbox fan, there’s very little added value. PC -Switch, PC - PS5 are combos that will expand your gaming landscape.

Obviously if you don’t want PS5/Switch exclusives, and you really want a Xbox even though you have a gaming PC then sure, you can make little things add up.
Can't say I agree, but we don't have to agree either.
Nintendo consoles are always in their own ball park, so to speak. It's always a good idea to have one, independent of whether you have a PC or not. Barely anything that they have is released on PC. So yeah.

Playstation and Xbox are different though. The majority of their titles are multiplatform ones, so generally you're going to pick one or the other, unless you have too much time on your hands, or if you're a console collector. I doubt anyone that owns both brands are using both equally.

Until now, PS has outdone Xbox with exclusives. But PS exclusives are starting to come to the Epic Games Store, and MS has acquired a lot of 1st party studios. Most likely, if PS5 exclusives will be released on there, they will be released a lot later though. But considering they are mostly single player titles, there is no pressure to play them just as they launch, so some people are willing to wait for that. Multiplayer games have more 'pressure' to get them at launch, because people want to play together, or people want to start training to participate in tournaments and the like. And if MS releases more exclusives, which seems they are set to do, the picture compared to previous gens can change.

What I'm trying to say is, that the gap between Xbox and PS regarding PC releases seems to be diminishing. And Xbox has the advantage that many things you buy on the Xbox, you get on the PC as a bonus without having to repay for it. I don't think you have to be an "Xbox fan" to appreciate this. And if you have Game Pass, it's even more attractive.
If many PS exclusives end up on PC, you're going to have to pay twice for it, and, the whole "expanding your gaming landscape from the perspective of a gamer" goes out the window.

Although I think that having BC with games from the 2000s already is quite the landscape expansion for many people, but you obviously don't share that opinion.

cHaOs667

"Powerful" PC (Xeon, 32 GB Ram, 1080 Ti - the PC will be upgraded in a couple of months) and X1X + OG X1 (+ other consoles) owner here.

Yes! I will go and buy a XsX as the XsX will be located in my living room, the X1X will then go to my "man cave/attic" and the PC is located in the office room with my OG X1.
As I have two sons and a wife which all enjoy playing video games, it is a great plus for us to have games available on the X-Box and the PC as I am able to move around the house while the rest of my family can enjoy the games in the living room.

But I'm not the typical PC focused gamer - I only buy PC titles when they are only available on PC (like the strategy games I love to play) or if they are on a great discount, so my main focus is on the consoles. And I still enjoy the simplicity of them.

Top Bottom