• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone heard of World Wide Group/Dream Builders (Amway scam?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriend has been looking into a thing call World Wide Group or World Wide Dream Builders and I was wondering if this is some kind of harmful pyramid scam.

From what I could find online, WWDB sounds like it was a business made by Amway to get people to join Amway, but what my girlfriend is describing to me sounds less scummy than what I've heard about Amway.

Basically if she pays $100 or so she gets a website that is essentially her "business". All the website is is a portal that let's you (and the people you give the link to) buy stuff from a bunch of different companies at a discounted price (Macy's, Home Depot, Apple, etc, but also Amway). The more stuff you spend through this portal, the more "points" you get, and the more "points" you get the more you're paid at the end of the month (or something like that). I worked for a tech company that offered a similar portal and rewards program to employees and it was pretty nice.

There're also apparently perks like getting to write off certain things on your taxes relating to your site (like going on a vacation but if you get someone to use your site on the vacation it's suddenly a "business trip").

She has been going to some meetings and interviews in the last few days with (seemingly) nice people and is getting more interested in at least trying it out. She's not looking at a way to" make millions" and stuff, more as a way to get discounts from stores she already goes to regularly and get discount for her friends too, so I'm not worried about her becoming one of those people that gets taken in by the cult of Amway and it becomes their life's goal to sell the products to everyone they know and meet.

Has anyone had experience with this company? My worry is that it's so closely linked with Amway, but it doesn't seem exactly the same from what I can tell.

I've told my girlfriend to be cautious before doing anything and the fact that she's really only interested in the discounts (as opposed to a way to make money or "get rich quick") makes me less worried about her getting as obsessed as the hardcore Amway people can get.

So my girlfriend has been looking into a thing call World Wide Group or World Wide Dream Builders and I was wondering if this is some kind of harmful pyramid scam.

From what I could find online, WWDB sounds like it was a business made by Amway to get people to join Amway, but what my girlfriend is describing to me sounds less scummy than what I've heard about Amway.

Basically if she pays $100 or so she gets a website that is essentially her "business". All the website is is a portal that let's you (and the people you give the link to) buy stuff from a bunch of different companies at a discounted price (Macy's, Home Depot, Apple, etc, but also Amway). The more stuff you spend through this portal, the more "points" you get, and the more "points" you get the more you're paid at the end of the month (or something like that). I worked for a tech company that offered a similar portal and rewards program to employees and it was pretty nice.

There're also apparently perks like getting to write off certain things on your taxes relating to your site (like going on a vacation but if you get someone to use your site on the vacation it's suddenly a "business trip").

She has been going to some meetings and interviews in the last few days with (seemingly) nice people and is getting more interested in at least trying it out. She's not looking at a way to" make millions" and stuff, more as a way to get discounts from stores she already goes to regularly and get discount for her friends too, so I'm not worried about her becoming one of those people that gets taken in by the cult of Amway and it becomes their life's goal to sell the products to everyone they know and meet.

Has anyone had experience with this company? My worry is that it's so closely linked with Amway, but it doesn't seem exactly the same from what I can tell.

I've told my girlfriend to be cautious before doing anything and the fact that she's really only interested in the discounts (as opposed to a way to make money or "get rich quick") makes me less worried about her getting as obsessed as the hardcore Amway people can get.

SCAM!

WWDB is an "Amway Motivational Organization" or AMO. These organizations are technically independent of Amway but run by very high level Amway distributors (or IBOs or whatever they're calling them these days), in this case a man by the name of Ron Puryear. In theory you get the benefit of their "system" to help you succeed in the Amway business in the form of rallies, seminars, and motivational "tools" (books, audio, etc.) These will end up costing you a lot of time and money and your odds of success in Amway, with or without WWDB, are very, very low.

Don't walk away from this, run.

WWDB is an "Amway Motivational Organization" or AMO. These organizations are technically independent of Amway but run by very high level Amway distributors (or IBOs or whatever they're calling them these days), in this case a man by the name of Ron Puryear. In theory you get the benefit of their "system" to help you succeed in the Amway business in the form of rallies, seminars, and motivational "tools" (books, audio, etc.) These will end up costing you a lot of time and money and your odds of success in Amway, with or without WWDB, are very, very low.

Don't walk away from this, run.
Right, and I totally get that they make all their money through the promotional crap and seminars and selling people on the "Dream" of becoming a millionare. ("Betty was a single mom and in two years made her first million!")

But again, I don't think that my girlfriend is even interested in any of that stuff. She's not looking to start a business (she's run an actual business herself in the past), pay for seminars or promotional material (she already knows sales and marketing philosophies), or use this as a money making scheme.

Really all she wants is the online store discount stuff.

I'm not sure that this is obvious enough. Can you elaborate?

These "become your own business" things make their money in two ways.

1) Selling you the crap to sell to others.
2) Seminars that "help" you expand your "business."

The failure rate on these things is in the mid 90s or above in percentage. Most people just end up pissing off their friends and have to write all the money they invested in these things off.

Basically if she pays $100 or so she gets a website that is essentially her "business".
BZZT! Nope, bail out.

Edit: Also
If they're teaching you to pull a fast one on IRS, they're probably trying to pull a fast one on you.

Cyan

Banned
If she's only interested in discounts, it shouldn't take long for her to notice that it's not worth it. She should be careful talking to these people, though. All of what you describe sounds exactly like Amway and other pyramid schemes.

Also, don't do that tax thing. Seriously.

NoRéN

Right, and I totally get that they make all their money through the promotional crap and seminars and selling people on the "Dream" of becoming a millionare. ("Betty was a single mom and in two years made her first million!")

But again, I don't think that my girlfriend is even interested in any of that stuff. She's not looking to start a business (she's run an actual business herself in the past), pay for seminars or promotional material (she already knows sales and marketing philosophies), or use this as a money making scheme.
You're asking for opinions and got them Reading this post it sounds like,
It's a scam but it sounds like she's in too deep and is just going to do it anyway. So good luck with that.

Good luck to you.

It's a scam but it sounds like she's in too deep and is just going to do it anyway. So good luck with that.
Thankfully not, she's only going to the meetings with her friend because her friend is paying for it. She's still relying on me to research the company itself externally from the echo chamber of the meetings and seminars.
If she's only interested in discounts, it shouldn't take long for her to notice that it's not worth it. She should be careful talking to these people, though. All of what you describe sounds exactly like Amway and other pyramid schemes.

Also, don't do that tax thing. Seriously.
Yeah, the tax thing sounded completely ridiculous and highly illegal.

MGrant

Yeah, this is multi-level marketing. It won't work; the only ways to make money on these things is to make it your whole life (and thus become an insufferable asshole), get extremely lucky, and/or exploit everyone you know and trust.

Really all she wants is the online store discount stuff.

From what I've seen, Amway's claims of savings and discounts are more hype than anything else. They're largely based on misleading comparisons (unit cost of large Amway brand vs. small name-brand at full markup, that sort of thing). For all the claims of "cutting out the middleman" you have to keep in mind that for each sale your upline (people above you in the organization) get a cut.

Not bothering with the seminars and the tools scam would make things less terrible, but expect her to be under a lot of pressure from her upline to participate in that stuff.

I also see other red flags in your OP.

The more stuff you spend through this portal, the more "points" you get, and the more "points" you get the more you're paid at the end of the month (or something like that).

Yes, Amway has a (rather convoluted) points system. Get ready to try and wrap your head around conversions between dollars and "PV" and "BV," (the terminology may have changed), etc. Unless you have a large downline below you, those rebate checks are going to be chump change.

In other words she'll be trying to recruit downline while on vacation. Wait'll you see how well that works out.

She's not looking at a way to" make millions" and stuff, more as a way to get discounts from stores she already goes to regularly and get discount for her friends too, so I'm not worried about her becoming one of those people that gets taken in by the cult of Amway and it becomes their life's goal to sell the products to everyone they know and meet.

Well, at least she's not delusional about becoming a millionaire through Amway, but she's still being pretty delusional. Amway doesn't just try and get people in through the dream of making millions, there's also the pitch of "make extra money in your spare time by buying the things you were already buying and showing your friends how to do the same" and it sounds like she's been pulled in by this one.

Also, "get discount for her friends too" is basically code for "recruit your friends to be your downline." Expect to find her friends surprisingly resistant to this idea. Don't be surprised if she starts losing friends.

I'll repeat, don't walk away from this, run.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Just been approached by some people to do the same. They never mentioned Amway, or WWDC or anything. They invited me to a "meeting" which was a seminar of how jobs suck and you need your own business. There was about 1500 people there. I don't think I will proceed.

I was actually approached by Amway.

I was really considering it but I thought about it and I would really need to dedicate a lot of time to see any return from it.

Plus since I moved I have no network to work from. I can't truly say its a scam persay because the meetings had hundreds of people there getting paid. But they all pretty much made it a part of their lives.

If its gonna be some side hustle, then its pretty much a waste of investment honestly.

EDIT: Their philosophy is 100% correct though. You will never get paid trading hours for dollars. You have to create passive income for yourself in order to break away from the US Work force.

Cyan

Banned
Plus since I moved I have no network to work from. I can't truly say its a scam persay because the meetings had hundreds of people there getting paid.
This is probably not true. The people at the tip-top are making money from the people below them, but most people aren't going to be making much. They have to present as though they are, because they want to look successful and enthusiastic and fit in with everyone else.
EDIT: Their philosophy is 100% correct though. You will never get paid trading hours for dollars. You have to create passive income for yourself in order to break away from the US Work force.
Eh, maybe. This isn't a way to do that, though. And would you really want to "break away" just to be part of a pyramid scheme?

adj_noun

Basically if she pays $100 or so she gets a website that is essentially her "business". All the website is is a portal that let's you (and the people you give the link to) buy stuff from a bunch of different companies at a discounted price (Macy's, Home Depot, Apple, etc, but also Amway).

The more stuff you spend through this portal, the more "points" you get, and the more "points" you get the more you're paid at the end of the month (or something like that).

Pay money for the initial module, get others to use it with you, and increase your power through the accrual of points acquired through play.

RPG elements in everything these days.

cwmartin

Basically if she pays $100 or so she gets a website that is essentially her "business"

This is literally as far as I read your OP. This is a scam. Scams ask for money in exchange for no service, and the expectation is on the person who just paid money to then recoup their loss. This is called fraud, and it is one of many kind of scams.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I see that name and immediately think of

prestige-worldwide-laughable-o.gif

The Flash

Banned
One of my roommates got suckered into Amway. He's been with them for almost two years and he still hasn't figured it out yet. It's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom