• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone remember the Def Jam fighting series?

Shogun1337

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_E_pbMj91E

djffny_10.jpg

(Pretty incredible graphics at the time for a PS2 game)

Def Jam: Fight For New York was an absolute gem of a game, in the ancient days of the PS2. Really wish they could make a PS4/XB1 comeback.

As far as I remember the combat was actually pretty in-depth. The sound effects were awesome, and the Mortal Kombat-esque finishers were an absolute must-see. See Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, XZibit, and like 40 other rappers both male and female talking shit and throwing combos at each other.

It'd be extremely popular if they came back with another one today, but I'm sure that there's now a crap ton of legalese that wasn't here a decade ago (it really came out a decade ago...) that stops them from including all these rappers and voice acting.

Hell fucking yes people remember FFNY. It was perfect timing for such a game as I couldn't imagine that same type of fighter existing in current hip-hop climate.

I still consider it to have one of the best single-player modes of any fighting game as I asserted a long-ass time ago.

Garret

The first DJ:FFNY on PS2 was great back in the day. I just had the fondest memories come back of playing it with my friends for a whole afternoon. We were all so damn young!

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
FFNY is so good. One of the few fighters I've played for more than an hour or so. Shame EA killed the franchise on the spot with Icon.
Wish it was backwards compatible with the Xbox 360.

Fuck yeah! Fight for NY was my jam! Shame the psp version isn't on psn. Might try to hunt down the umd now that I think about it.

Xav

Some of the most brutally awesome animations in a fighting game ever.

841572ea1a623d0b9a34fqmk1c.gif

AKI Corp/Syn Sophia need to make a new wrestling game. The world needs to know if they still got it.

DizzyCrow

Current artists

◾2 Chainz
◾Afrojack
◾August Alsina
◾Big K.R.I.T.
◾Big Sean
◾Common
◾Cyhi Da Prynce
◾Elijah Blake
◾Fabolous
◾Frank Ocean
◾Gunplay
◾Iggy Azalea
◾Jadakiss
◾Jeezy
◾Jeremih
◾Jhené Aiko
◾Juelz Santana
◾Kanye West
◾Lil Durk
◾Lil Reese
◾Logic
◾Ludacris
◾Mariah Carey
◾Nas
◾Pusha T
◾Q-Tip
◾Rick Ross
◾Teyana Taylor
◾The Roots
◾Trinidad Jame$
◾Triple C's
◾Verse Simmonds
◾YG

jpax

Incredible game and I have really enjoyed it, especially the story mode.
The screenshot is from the Xbox version I think.

Phatmac

FIght for New York is criminally underrated. That game is a lot of fun. Had a great time with the franchise until Icon. :/

MQX

19386_front.jpg

I only played this one
on the PS2. EA really needs to make a new Def Jam game. For PS4/X1/PC with Ignite Engine ;)

Hahs

It was like the Super Smash Bros. of rap/hip-hop - mixed with MK. It's crazy how most of these rappers have faded into obscurity...kinda like the rap game today. Gone!

FFNY was the best fighting/brawling game EVER made especially for local multiplayer.. SO MUCH FUN!!!

It is also the best BAR BRAWLING game ever made.

The Stig

i played these games simply cos of the developer.

wish they were still making wrestling games. no mercy is still my fave wrestling game

Skunkers

Little known fun-fact #2: a good chunk of the reference moves for the animators were performed by me.

So what you're saying is.... we need to make Bish Banned GIFs out of the supers from Def Jam...? And if we did, they'd actually be accurate? Someone get on this right now!!!

I used to play the shit out of this. FFNY totally needs a spiritual successor. Idol was such a disappointment compared to it, I don't think they will bother with it, though.

remember this hunk of junk

My favourite was Fight for New York

"C'mon man let's bounce"

Character customization was deep, lots of things to unlock, good fighting moves, lots of characters and the story was top notch

A reminder that this man:
kuno_tsunoda_keyboxart_160w.jpg

is at fault for Def Jam Icon
"The game's executive producer, Kudo Tsunoda, has stated that he did not feel that wrestling and hip-hop went particularly well with each other."

Shogun1337

Drake was in the first one. Seriously.

Little known fun-fact: his VO was performed by my sister. Truth.
Little known fun-fact #2: a good chunk of the reference moves for the animators were performed by me.

That's so fucking awesome

A reminder that this man:
kuno_tsunoda_keyboxart_160w.jpg

is at fault for Def Jam Icon
"The game's executive producer, Kudo Tsunoda, has stated that he did not feel that wrestling and hip-hop went particularly well with each other."

Eh, just another example of someone that should have no business making these decisions.

*LIghtbulb*

... Imagine if Kamiya made the next Def Jam?

Loved these games. They were the spiritual successors to the WWF N64 games that I always wanted that took them way further. I really wish we could get something new like this.

Had FFNY on the gamecube and loved it. My nephew who was about 13-14 then thought it would be a great idea to insert the GC disc on the 360. Needless to say it got all scratched up :( i have to get another copy one of these days.

Current artists

◾2 Chainz
◾Afrojack
◾August Alsina
◾Big K.R.I.T.
◾Big Sean
◾Common
◾Cyhi Da Prynce
◾Elijah Blake
◾Fabolous
◾Frank Ocean
◾Gunplay