• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Melubas

So Birdman is up on Netflix here in Sweden now, watched it yesterday. I thought it was really cool, and different. Just the other day I was talking to my girlfriend about how I never see Edward Norton in anything anymore so I was really happy to see him having a role.

Ownage

Netflix's The Crew is fun. However, 2036 Origin Unknown is a real downer of a movie. Walked away feeling depressed, lol.

The Mule is ok, but not Eastwood's best film.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Life of Brian (1979)

this movie holds up, maybe not as iconic as Holy Grail, but still very funny and sharp satire, outside of a few too many lame bits where the joke is "the bad guys talk funny & everyone laughs at them". as a Christian, i enjoyed it, and agree with Cleese, i think it is not making fun of belief or religion itself, but of dogmatic followers, of systems, of fanatical groups, of state torture & violence, etc.

the scene where they are all hiding out and planning the revolution was great. they take turns going around the table, each making a great speech about how "the time for talk is over, now is a time for action!" and all these speeches about how they need to stop talking and arguing and do something. it perfectly parodies the inner squabbling of revolutionary groups.

i enjoyed the concept of Brian. when they decided to make this, they started w the idea to make a movie about Jesus, but upon closer inspection of his life, they decided he wasn't really a target of ridicule, that he was mostly a good dude, thus the idea for the comical Brian, born next door to him on Christmas day, living a similar life, just stripped free of the spiritual dignity and braveness of Christ. Brian, in his place, is an utterly pathetic and cowardly person, who somehow still becomes a hero to all. waiting on the cross as his friends and admirers step up to thank him for his symbolic death and every one refusing to help (the suicide squad arrives at this point). apparently they originally wanted to do some Zionist commentary & more about zealot & extremist groups but the film was already seen as a risk, so all that was cut. historically, there is quite a lot that is accurately portrayed in this regarding Rome and the Christians, the sillier bits aside. i loved the bit where he falls into a spaceship and it turns into a low budget Star Wars rip off for 5 minutes or so. would rate this up there w the 10 Commandments as one of the great all-time religious films.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So Birdman is up on Netflix here in Sweden now, watched it yesterday. I thought it was really cool, and different. Just the other day I was talking to my girlfriend about how I never see Edward Norton in anything anymore so I was really happy to see him having a role.

He was in the last two Wes Anderson movies (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs), both of which are great, if you're craving more Norton.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Alright, this is what i watched in 2018, Mostly from January to December top to bottom.

• American Ultra
  • Kill Ratio
  • Spectral
  • Skiptrace
  • Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle
  • Ex Machina
  • The Shape of Water
  • Triple 9
  • The Monkey King
  • Game Night
  • J.Edgar
  • Red Sparrow
  • Standoff
  • Falcon Rising
  • Black Panther 3D
  • Daemonium: (Also known as: Daemonium: Underground Soldier)
  • The Godfather
  • The Big Short
  • The Godfather: Part II
  • The Godfather: Part III
  • Bastille Day
  • Iceman
  • War Machine
  • Synchronicity
  • The Great Escape
  • Steel Rain
  • Mute
  • Young Tiger
  • Advantageous
  • Beyond Valkyrie: Dawn of the Fourth Reich
  • Stasis
  • Johnny English Reborn
  • Jupiter Ascending
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still
  • Avicii: True Stories
  • Halo: The Fall Of Reach
  • Ready Player One 3D
  • Blame!
  • Ender's Game
  • Mean Streets
  • Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
  • Elser
  • Anon
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • Cop Car
  • Avengers: Infinity War 3D
  • Blade Runner
  • The Martian
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Hummingbird
  • Idiocracy
  • Jack Reacher: Never Look Back
  • Bone Tomahawk
  • Drive Angry
  • Chinese Zodiac: Armour Of God III
  • Police Story 2013
  • Archer Season 9
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Bottom Of The World
  • Antman and the Wasp 3D
  • Easy Rider
  • Tokarev
  • The Revenant
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Leaving Las Vegas
  • Underworld: Blood Wars
  • XXX: The Return of Xander Cage
  • Mission Impossible: Fallout
  • Fury
  • Logan Lucky
  • The Hitman's Bodyguard
  • I Am Wrath
  • Charlie Wilson's War
  • Smokey and the Bandit
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • Passengers
  • Star Trek: Beyond
  • The Debt Collector
  • Sausage PArty
  • Unlocked
  • Smokin' Aces
  • Under The Sun (Documentary)
  • Nitro Circus: The Movie
  • Escape from Alcatraz
  • The Propaganda Game
  • Ghost In The Shell
  • Smokin' Aces: The Assassin's Ball
  • Scary Movie
  • Illang: The Wolf Brigade
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  • Venom
  • Enemy At The Gates
  • Survivor
  • The Accountant
  • Live by Night
  • The Dirty Dozen
  • Transcendence
  • Survivor
  • Mortal Engines 3D
  • The Reader
  • Der Untergang

Last edited:
Watched "Mandy" over the weekend.

Basically a revenge movie with two distinct halves and slathered in acid visuals for the entire runtime. It definitely straddles the line between arty-weird and outright stupid, crossing over into the latter a few times(Although that fits the second half), though it's always very inventive when it comes to the presentation. I liked the movie but can easily see many hating it or just finding it to be a buncha bullshit. If you wanna watch a moody drug influenced movie that suddenly becomes "Fear and Loathing: Gorey Action Movie Edition" in it's second half, then give it a watch.

Basically a revenge movie with two distinct halves and slathered in acid visuals for the entire runtime. It definitely straddles the line between arty-weird and outright stupid, crossing over into the latter a few times(Although that fits the second half), though it's always very inventive when it comes to the presentation. I liked the movie but can easily see many hating it or just finding it to be a buncha bullshit. If you wanna watch a moody drug influenced movie that suddenly becomes "Fear and Loathing: Gorey Action Movie Edition" in it's second half, then give it a watch.

Check it out the director’s previous movie, Beyond The Black Rainbow

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Just watched this too. Very strange movie.

bitbydeath

Saw Ant-Man and the Wasp today.
Maybe a 7/10 movie, it’s fun but I probably wouldn’t watch it again.

Saw Game Night recently as well and loved it. Easy 9/10 for that.

I watched A Quiet Place, which I thought was a great film. It could have had classic status, but I found the jump-scare moments in the film to be 1)pretty lazily done (like most jump-scares to be fair), and 2) completely unnecessary. No jump-scares, film would have been amazing. A thought also crossed my mind that Blunt would be awesome as a lead in an Alien film, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I watched WIld Things as well, which I hadn't seen in years. And all I can say about that film is good lord.

megamerican

I can say it's definitely a memorable movie which works to its favor, but it was tonally all over the map. The other knock against it for me is the length which feels padded out with ridiculously overlong shots. It would be a far better experience at 80 - 90 minutes as opposed to the two hours it sits at.

Still think there is enough there to recommend checking it out.

I watched A Quiet Place, which I thought was a great film. It could have had classic status, but I found the jump-scare moments in the film to be 1)pretty lazily done (like most jump-scares to be fair), and 2) completely unnecessary. No jump-scares, film would have been amazing. A thought also crossed my mind that Blunt would be awesome as a lead in an Alien film, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I watched WIld Things as well, which I hadn't seen in years. And all I can say about that film is good lord.

I feel like they used the concept of sound/silence well, transitioning between the deaf daughter perspective and whatnot.

I’m not a fan of blatant cheesy jump scares. There’s nothing memorable about a loud noises it’s startling but it’s not impactful.

In the IT part one remake the library scene is a perfect example. When he’s flipping the book and the images get disturbing and the music is creepy, that freaked me out. When he gets jump scared by the chasing Pennywise a minute later that wasn’t nearly as cool.

I’m not saying jumpscares aren’t useful. They have a purpose and are good when earned, but when it’s just “we are gonna turn the volume to 12 and have a sudden movement of any sort” I kinda roll my eyes.

Apparbelty a sequel is in the works. I liked A Quiet Place despite some glaring plot holes

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Finally, Terry Gilliam’s legendarily cursed production. Has enough of that Gilliam flavor. Jonathan Pryce was phenomenal in it, reason enough to check it out. Enjoyed this.

bitbydeath

Watching ‘A Quiet Place’ right now. Can’t say it’s very good so far as I have to suspend belief that all their actions such as a crackling fire or a kid jumping out of a car makes less noise than whispering which they don’t do.

And what of the farts? Cause so far the concept stinks, hope it gets better.

Watching ‘A Quiet Place’ right now. Can’t say it’s very good so far as I have to suspend belief that all their actions such as a crackling fire or a kid jumping out of a car makes less noise than whispering which they don’t do.

And what of the farts? Cause so far the concept stinks, hope it gets better.

The concept seems interesting on paper but yes there are many holes to poke in it, as you’ve discovered.

bitbydeath

The concept seems interesting on paper but yes there are many holes to poke in it, as you’ve discovered.

Yeah, gonna give it a 2/10.
So many stupid parts. Excluding picking and choosing of loud noises I had mentioned before that were throughout the movie there was.

A birth scene which took one or two mins tops to have the baby. No umbelical cord or feeding the baby. Baby is silent.

The nail scene was stupid, preggo lady saw the nail after cutting a bag on it and never did anything about it, except later standing on it.

Sinking in the grain scene, girl drops super fast and yet boy reaches her with poor reaction time. (Should have been near the bottom by the time he got there). The monster drops in and suddenly sinking is no longer an issue as they hide beneath a broken door.

The kill scene, all it took was a bullet. Sure the girl startled it as well but they could have easily shot it when the armour opens up to hear what is going on around them.

Even 2/10 seems a bit high honestly.

Yeah, gonna give it a 2/10.
So many stupid parts. Excluding picking and choosing of loud noises I had mentioned before that were throughout the movie there was.

A birth scene which took one or two mins tops to have the baby. No umbelical cord or feeding the baby. Baby is silent.

The nail scene was stupid, preggo lady saw the nail after cutting a bag on it and never did anything about it, except later standing on it.

Sinking in the grain scene, girl drops super fast and yet boy reaches her with poor reaction time. (Should have been near the bottom by the time he got there). The monster drops in and suddenly sinking is no longer an issue as they hide beneath a broken door.

The kill scene, all it took was a bullet. Sure the girl startled it as well but they could have easily shot it when the armour opens up to hear what is going on around them.

Even 2/10 seems a bit high honestly.

Yeah, spot on. The CinemaSins video kills it pretty well.

I’ll spoiler this even though it’s not a spoiler

A simple thing that bugged me is honestly why would anyone have a kid in this world? There was no hope in sight and seemingly just a matter of time before all humans were eaten. -

I’m curious what direction he does with in the sequel

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Watched the Blueray Inner Sanctus with the main short films of the Quay brothers. Had not seen their newer films after 2005. I'd label their works as some of the best stop motion animated works of all the time, but they are also well versed in cinema, documentary and theater.
Not often do you see American artists move to Europe.

Aside from their classic works, the 2010 short Mask based on a work by Solaris author Stanislav Lem, was perhaps one of the best scifi horror films I saw this century.

Also worth mentioning the short documentary from Christopher Nolan about them since he always admired their work

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Saw the Netflix Fyre documentary. Man that Jamaican lady getting screwed out of her life savings sucks. I want to punch that Billy motherfucker. Just a rich asshole who has never has something that didn’t go his way. It sucks that the native population he ripped off is less likely to sue than the clueless investors who have money for lawyers.

Last edited:
Saw the Netflix Fyre documentary. Man that Jamaican lady getting screwed out of her life savings sucks. I want to punch that Billy motherfucker. Just a rich asshole who has never has something that didn’t go his way.

That story is pretty wild.

I didn’t really even follow it much as it was happening

kbear

If it’s been mentioned before then add this to the pile — the Netflix original ‘Polar’ with Mads that just came out is John Wick with more memorable characters, an actual plot, and better acting, but film critics decided to hop on the “Netflix orig. movies are so bad lol” bandwagon and gave it a 10-20% Rotten score.

Edit: Granted, part of my praise for it is influenced by the absolute screw job it got from critics but it’s still solid and not even close to the 10-20% it’s been hovering around. Hoping for a sequel.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Saw the Netflix Fyre documentary. Man that Jamaican lady getting screwed out of her life savings sucks. I want to punch that Billy motherfucker. Just a rich asshole who has never has something that didn’t go his way. It sucks that the native population he ripped off is less likely to sue than the clueless investors who have money for lawyers.
I only watched the Hulu one. That guy is such a crook, and a lot of people got very screwed and I feel for those people, but I love that instagram retards were involved in getting fucked.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Watched polar today one of the best films I’ve seen in a while. I would even say it’s better than the John wick films.

I hope they do a second.

megamerican

I've managed to avoid most of the Oscar movies this year, but I decided to see The Favourite as I liked Dogtooth and Killing of a Sacred Deer. I made a huge mistake. I have no idea what critics saw in this thing. It's not funny, it's just repulsive and not even in an interesting way like the director's earlier films were.

Thurible

I saw Spiderman: into the spiderverse with my niece on her birthday. She seemed to have fun and the movie was actually pretty dang good. It is an animation that is loosely based off of two spiderman comics (one of them being in Ultimate spiderman with Miles Morales taking in the mantle after something bad happens, and the other being a more recent comic about many spidermen coming together from different universes). I loved the many different styles clashing together both in art and thematics. It also is made to look like a comic book, there are thought bubbles and transitions where characters explain their origins through their own motion comics. There is also some fading in the models and colors to give it an old school comic look.

The story was also pretty good, it is about Miles trying to take up the role of spiderman but he just can't seem to do it. The relationships he forms with the other spidermen are pretty interesting. I think the best relationship has to be with the old washed up spiderman. He is divorced from MJ and as a result of time and loneliness he has become embittered and cynical while retaining some of the classic spidey sense of humor. He becomes a sort of mentor for Miles and actually grows with him. They actually both learn from each other in ways I won't spoil.

I thought it was fun.

P.S. Kingpin looked like a rectangle, like literally a big black rectangle with a face. What was with that?

Last edited:

joombo

Banned
Logan Lucky 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed this and laughed out loud on a few occasions. A little bit slow in parts so doesn't grab an 8, but a canny film nonetheless.

Neverwas

watched Polar the other day. it's kind of a cross between John Wick and Smoking Aces. There were some style choices I could only describe as stupid and childish, but overall I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

MilkyJoe

Ready Player One
Rampage (the Rock movie)
What we do in the Shadows
Hot Fuzz
The Meg
Jurassic World - the new one, was he going for Dino Crisis here?
Justice League

Finally got around to watching Bird Box, and I really didn't like it. It's The Happening but released on Netflix.

Completely by the numbers with its characters, as soon as the group was revealed in the house I rolled my eyes *hard*. Talk about a checklist of characters. I hate time jumping in films, only a master director can pull it off (eg Godfather Part 2). The film would have been miles better if it was in chronological order, opening with 3 characters meant I didn't give a shit about anyone who was introduced in the past. The way they handled the 'force' (for want of a better word) was trash. First it seemed like people were affected by mobile phones, then it became about the light and in the end it was a run of the mill monster chasing down the characters. Trash. If it could pick up leaves and move branches, why not whip off the blindfolds?
Millennial trash

Finally got around to watching Bird Box, and I really didn't like it. It's The Happening but released on Netflix.

Completely by the numbers with its characters, as soon as the group was revealed in the house I rolled my eyes *hard*. Talk about a checklist of characters. I hate time jumping in films, only a master director can pull it off (eg Godfather Part 2). The film would have been miles better if it was in chronological order, opening with 3 characters meant I didn't give a shit about anyone who was introduced in the past. The way they handled the 'force' (for want of a better word) was trash. First it seemed like people were affected by mobile phones, then it became about the light and in the end it was a run of the mill monster chasing down the characters. Trash. If it could pick up leaves and move branches, why not whip off the blindfolds?
Millennial trash

I think it sucks and couldn’t figure out why it had all these memes everywhere. I figured it must be best movie ever, like I couldn’t look anywhere without seeing a Birdbox meme.

I don’t think it has anything to do with SJW/PC’ness at all, I just think it’s a shit movie

Mohonky

Same vibe. It's definitely a lot better than The Happening at least. Anyway my list;

Bird Box - as above, I actually thought this was at least an interesting movie in some respects and I don't regret watching it, but I definitely finished it wanting to know more about whatever it was causing the chaos. Reminded me of A Quiet Place meets Lost; interesting to watch, but no pay off.

Patient 7 - went in expecting not a lot. In the end it turned out to be a sort of compilation of mini horror stories tied together in a finale that was a cross between Shutter Island and Identity. Give it a pass.

Mandy - I was......I dunno I kind of expected a lot more. It's interesting viewing but I expected more of a head trip.

The House That Jack Built - fucking loved it. I can see why some people really didn't like certain violent scenes being 'triggering' but the movie itself is great and goddamn Matt Dillon is good in this. I did feel like the final 15-20min could have been better explored, but a really interesting movie over all.

Predator - I'm pretty sure the movies are a parody of previous ones these days. Reminds me of Terminator or Alien, it's just dead (except I love Prometheus and Covenant but don't count them in the Alien line up)

Velvet Buzzsaw - Gyllenhall or however it's spelt, god I could watch his character in this movie all day. This is sort of a corny dark humour / horror that satires the art world. I mean it's not a great movie, but it most certainly has it's moments, most of them when Gyllenhalls character is playing up the satire of the campy art reviewer.

Mortal Machines - don't care for the hates, loved it. The dialogue isn't great, the character motivations are flimsy at best and in terms of character development......there was probably some in there somewhere, but damn this movie really sells it's world and it's just constantly visually amazing. It gets a bit on the nose with it's like a James Cameron movie about the mistakes of the past and what have you, but otherwise I just loved this movie and was drawn into it's world.

Suspiria - I kind of liked it but felt it was also a bit drawn out. There is one particular horror scene that is so interesting, shocking and disturbing that I would almost recommend watching the movie for that alone and yet in the final scenes you wonder how they did so well earlier and then finished it up with a scene that was so much less interesting.

The Nun - it was entertaining, I didn't lose my shit over it but it was better than a lot of other horror flicks that are out there.

The Meg - horrible, but in kind of all the best ways. It's a movie about a giant shark, come on, you know it's going to be bad but it's bad in that way that's also kind of mindlessly entertaining.

Suspiria - I kind of liked it but felt it was also a bit drawn out. There is one particular horror scene that is so interesting, shocking and disturbing that I would almost recommend watching the movie for that alone and yet in the final scenes you wonder how they did so well earlier and then finished it up with a scene that was so much less interesting.

Have you seen the original?

Last edited:

Mohonky

Nah I haven't, I went and watched something on youtube that sort of compared the two but even then I only briefly went over that.

Bernardo Bertolucci’s The Last Emperor

Been wanting to see this for a long long time, I have been listening recently to a series of podcasts covering the fall of the Qing Dynasty in China on Patreon.

I’m currently waiting on a third part of a three part series of history episodes to be released. Naturally my interest in this subject matter led me to autobiographical film The Last Emperor chronicling the life of Puyi, the last Emperor of the Qing Dynasty.

Unfortunately the film is out of print in the UK and the excellent Criterion Collection Blu Ray release is also out of print and a Region A locked disc. Thankfully I was able to track down an Italian print of the film on Blu Ray which has an English language and is reputedly struck from the master used by Criterion.

It was fascinating comparing the life of Puyi to the portrayal of him in the film, a lot of Puyi’s nastier traits are edited out of the film to make him a more palatable..

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I saw Ant-Man and The Wasp yesterday. It's an odd Marvel movie since it released after Avengers Infinity War yet the tone is much lighter and more carefree. I mean, the plot of finding Mrs. Pym is interesting for the local characters, but it seems out of place in the context of what is going on with the Avengers and the superhero world at large. However, isolating Ant Man to set up for the next wave of Marvel movies does make sense, so we'll see where it goes. I'm guessing all this 'quantum level' stuff will be used to help address the ending of Infinity War.

joombo

Banned
Just watch LA. Confidential for the first time.

What an amazing film, and equally amazing performances from the prominent actors.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Re-watched Children of Men recently. Film holds up better than I thought it would. That movie was shot really well.

Re-watched Children of Men recently. Film holds up better than I thought it would. That movie was shot really well.

One of my favorites. Left me jaw drop’d in theater.

Some of the long takes are so beautifully set up and choreographed with the violence and imagery.

Amazing film. Thought provoking. I never read the book.

I think one shot is an 18 minute take or something like that, towards the end when he’s running around the war zone

Kadayi

Banned
If it’s been mentioned before then add this to the pile — the Netflix original ‘Polar’ with Mads that just came out is John Wick with more memorable characters, an actual plot, and better acting, but film critics decided to hop on the “Netflix orig. movies are so bad lol” bandwagon and gave it a 10-20% Rotten score.

Edit: Granted, part of my praise for it is influenced by the absolute screw job it got from critics but it’s still solid and not even close to the 10-20% it’s been hovering around. Hoping for a sequel.

Yeah, I watched it the other day. It's pretty entertaining. Unlike Wick, it is aware of its absurd campiness and runs with it (something that slightly bugs me with Wick is whole gold coins BS for instance), so it was kind of cool to watch a film that is a bit more playful in that regard. Definitely recommend it as a fun watch and similarly, despite the critical scorn, I'd be up for a sequel.

LordPezix

Just watched Polar and The Outsider on Netflix. I enjoyed them both.

They do strongly fit the type of movies I prefer so I am heavily biased in stating that they were "good" movies.

hecatomb

Banned
Maybe the best super man movie ever made
220px-ROTS-Box-Art-2D-BD.jpeg

Top Bottom