• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

meh

The tonal shift of the second half where its like "GET THE BOYS BACK TOGETHER EVERYONE HAPPY NOW" just didn't totally work for me

I dunno, it doesn't suck but it's just inconsistent and some of the acting made me laugh out loud at its expense

Last edited:

Endangered08

Neo Member
I watched The Favorite on the airplane today. It was one of those movies that I wanted to stop watching but couldn't stop watching if that makes sense. The story was rambling on and is really slow moving, but the acting talent kept me hanging on for hope. Eventually we landed before seeing the end... and I'm ok with that.

Tesseract

Banned
honestly no i haven't, logan was the last movie that blew me away

i'm gonna watch vice in a little bit, i think i'll probably like it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we just watched Point Break. the original of course. yeah that movie still holds up. perhaps through sheer chemistry (Patrick Swayze + Keanu + Gary Busey + Lori Petty you can't beat that line up. all the casting is beyond excellent, and the film is a fun ride, even if the script is a little sloppy. John C. McGinley as the hardass police boss was some glorious casting.

been on a bit of a 90s Keanu kick lately tbh. last week we watched Speed. that movie is AMAZING. i love how stupid it gets. also all the supporting characters rule as well, you have Dennis Hopper, you have Jeff Daniels, you have Joe Morton, who was the guy who invented Skynet in T2. Sandra Bullock is incredible. wow. what a hero. the ride she goes through is insane. then there is the Ferris Bueller guy. and it has the Metal Gear Solid soundtrack! what a cool movie. best b-movie of the 90s.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I made it about 35-40 minutes into Bohemian Rhapsody and had to just bail out. It's the exact same come-from-nothing musical star movie you've seen a million times already. I guess if it's your first one, you might still like it. But holy shit did it feel like it was just going down a checklist of cliches.

The scene with the record executive played by Mike Myers is where I had to turn it off. Mr. Robot in the fakest looking teeth prosthetic gaily gallivanting around the room flicking things while it cuts to everyone smirking was where I had to draw the line.

I made it about 35-40 minutes into Bohemian Rhapsody and had to just bail out. It's the exact same come-from-nothing musical star movie you've seen a million times already. I guess if it's your first one, you might still like it. But holy shit did it feel like it was just going down a checklist of cliches.

The scene with the record executive played by Mike Myers is where I had to turn it off. Mr. Robot in the fakest looking teeth prosthetic gaily gallivanting around the room flicking things while it cuts to everyone smirking was where I had to draw the line.
Reminds me of the underdog sports movies. They are all the same.....which is why I can’t stand them

we just watched Point Break. the original of course. yeah that movie still holds up. perhaps through sheer chemistry (Patrick Swayze + Keanu + Gary Busey + Lori Petty you can't beat that line up. all the casting is beyond excellent, and the film is a fun ride, even if the script is a little sloppy. John C. McGinley as the hardass police boss was some glorious casting.

been on a bit of a 90s Keanu kick lately tbh. last week we watched Speed. that movie is AMAZING. i love how stupid it gets. also all the supporting characters rule as well, you have Dennis Hopper, you have Jeff Daniels, you have Joe Morton, who was the guy who invented Skynet in T2. Sandra Bullock is incredible. wow. what a hero. the ride she goes through is insane. then there is the Ferris Bueller guy. and it has the Metal Gear Solid soundtrack! what a cool movie. best b-movie of the 90s.
Speed is good fun, I enjoyed that movie too much

Mohonky

An absolute classic, probably Keanu Reeves best movie.

JimiNutz

Banned
Starship Troopers

This film absolutely blew me away when I originally saw it in the 90s and the good news is that it still fucking holds up. It's funny, cheesy, gory, action packed fun. I don't actually think there are many flaws with the film at all and I wish we got decent sequels because this franchise could have been amazing.

9/10

Upgrade

I didn't know much about the film going in and it seemed pretty mundane to begin with but once he gets 'upgraded' the action/fight scenes are really well done and the violence displayed satisfied my blood lust (I wish we had some superhero films with action like this). The twist is predictable but I found the ending satisfying. Would definitely watch a sequel.

8/10

Uhtred

I watched the Zach Effron Ted Bundy movie on Netflix. It was pretty good. I didn’t know Zach had acting chops.

Starship Troopers

This film absolutely blew me away when I originally saw it in the 90s and the good news is that it still fucking holds up. It's funny, cheesy, gory, action packed fun. I don't actually think there are many flaws with the film at all and I wish we got decent sequels because this franchise could have been amazing.

9/10

Upgrade

I didn't know much about the film going in and it seemed pretty mundane to begin with but once he gets 'upgraded' the action/fight scenes are really well done and the violence displayed satisfied my blood lust (I wish we had some superhero films with action like this). The twist is predictable but I found the ending satisfying. Would definitely watch a sequel.

8/10

Starship Troopers is one of those movies I have to watch once a year. Classic

RedLetterMedia do a great re:View on it

Ar¢tos

I watched The Wandering Earth a few days ago, it was good, I wasn't expecting such a big production from a Chinese movie. I also watched The Silence.... what an epic waste of my time! So much pointless filler in that movie.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Intruder 2019
The only person in the theater. When you look at this movie it’s not Grammy worthy per say, Dennis Quaid is very intimidating, just outstanding and the rest of the cast is technically great in being scaredy-cats. Movie has its moments.

The Intruder 2019
The only person in the theater. When you look at this movie it’s not Grammy worthy per say, Dennis Quaid is very intimidating, just outstanding and the rest of the cast is technically great in being scaredy-cats. Movie has its moments.

I was interested in it based on the trailer, I watched Chris Stuckmann's' review and he hated it, gave it a D-

I might check it out down the road at some point

The Outlaws (2019)
Korean "based on actual events" film about a dirty cop trying to stop the Chinese-Korean gang turf war. Starring the buff dude from Train to Busan. Really enjoyed it! It's on Amazon Prime.

V2Tommy

Watched Creed II last night. Wonderful movie. Interesting plot device they used to sandwich THE FIGHT right into the middle of the movie when you were certain it'd be at the end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
watched Aquaman. i enjoyed it a lot but my friend was kinda "it was alright" about it. it was way too long and the Black Manta was not a very good villain. his father is responsible for his own death and the entire thing was that he blamed Aquaman. Aquaman was just trying to leave the sub, and he was shooting him with grenades. the only reason he drowned was because he trapped himself by shooting him with grenades. Aquaman did nothing, sure he could have saved the guy, but again, THE GUY WAS SHOOTING HIM WITH GRENADES. so it is hard to feel anything for him or his kid and their angst. ugh that whole side plot was lame.

outside of that, the movie was fun. i loved how over the top it all was, reminding me a little of Phantom Menace or 5th Element. Atlantis was really cool to look at. Amber Heard was super badass, my favorite character of the movie, and Nicole Kidman was pretty cool as well. this will be perfect cut down to 2 hours w commercials on tv one future Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

ParanoidRED

Banned
Re-watched Hereditary yesterday, and it's still one of the best horrors in recent years, love catching new details at each viewing

Toni Collette got fucking robbed at the Oscars

92f6ca4c8344942d32c5c0207bf19738.gif

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
I watched Precious. Holy shit that was a brutal story. Getting raped and knocked up twice by her own dad. Molested by her mom. She names her daughter who has down's syndrome "Mongo" short for mongoloid. Abused, humiliated, illiterate. Actually very well made and acted film, but pretty heart wrenching.

Vlightray

Eden Lake 2008: Movie was fresh as hell did'nt do any sloppy happy ending shit straight up brutal all the way to the end a must watch for Gore,Action,Thriller fans.

Plot :Refusing to let anything spoil their romantic weekend break, a young couple confront a gang of loutish youths with terrifyingly brutal consequences.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
John Wick 3, Keanu is moving and grooving better than ever and now it's looking like John Wick 4 is a possibility.

Hell or High Water

I’ve seen it before but I watched it again on Netflix last night. Such a good film. Easily a 9 out of 10 for me. Chris Pine is great, Ben Foster disappears into his role like you don’t even see Ben Foster anymore. Jeff Bridges is Jeff Bridges.

Very very good movie, a story of poverty and the recession’s effect on small towns of West Texas.

Highly recommend

The writer is the guy who wrote both Sicario movies and also Wind River, and I guess he also starred in Sons of Anarchy (never seen it)

Last edited:

kingwingin

Watched la la land and whiplash back to back.

Amazing movies. Slept on whiplash back in the day and never heard of la la land until a friend told me about it.

If you haven't seen them, do yourself a favour

Last edited:
Watched la la land and whiplash back to back.

Amazing movies. Slept on whiplash back in the day and never heard of la la land until a friend told me about it.

If you haven't seen them, do yourself a favour

Love the director, even though First Man was a little disappointing to me.

I adore both these films though. The last 10 minutes of Whiplash and La La End both give me goosebumps.

I also really enjoyed discussing the ending of Whiplash back when it came out, there is a real dark angle interpretation going on there for those that perceive it a certain way.

Fantastic movies. In my opinion....

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I watched King Kong Escapes (1967). It was great and a lot better than King Kong vs Godzilla. Its not a very good movie but it is fun to watch.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Rewatched “Twister” for the first time since the 90s. It was pretty good! If very dumb! I lold because there are so many times when these tornado chasers are chasing tornadoes and then they go “holy shit!” as a tornado somehow sneaks up on them. Funny stuff. Also Bill Paxton such a huge whiny bitch in this

Rewatched “Twister” for the first time since the 90s. It was pretty good! If very dumb! I lold because there are so many times when these tornado chasers are chasing tornadoes and then they go “holy shit!” as a tornado somehow sneaks up on them. Funny stuff. Also Bill Paxton such a huge whiny bitch in this

Twister gets a lot of shit but it's audio production is sublime. I remember it being amazing in theaters and audiophiles still like to use it as a litmus test for home theater sound systems.

juliotendo

I recently saw “The Catcher Was A Spy” on Showtime starring Paul Rudd — in his only dramatic role in a film I believe — based on a true story. He seems to only appear in comedies and now Marvel films so it was interesting to see him in a different role.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Twister gets a lot of shit but it's audio production is sublime. I remember it being amazing in theaters and audiophiles still like to use it as a litmus test for home theater sound systems.

yeah the sound was great. plotwise it was on the level of a 60s b disaster movie but the cgi kinda still holds up (when they are running at the end & the fence gets sucked up still looks good).

really weird how the main bad guys die, so suddenly, and his driver first gets impaled by a phone tower, in a way that feels like it's from a totally different movie. like it turns into Final Destination for 10 seconds.

only thing that really annoyed me was, Bill Paxton's team were all chasing a tornado, then the bad guy shows up and runs his car off the road, so he fucks up his tires. jump cut and we are at a gas station, only it's not just him at the gas station, the entire team pulled over to hang out too for some reason, and the bad guys did as well. so everyone is just hanging out while he gets his car fixed for no reason and the bad guys just pulled over to talk shit to them while they wait i guess lol.

Last edited:

Tehvenom

71%2Bc4ogWvkL._SX342_.jpg

Creepy (2016)
8.5/10
A Japanese thriller film that I watched with zero expectations but it completely surprised and blindsided me at many points. Will watch it again down the line.
Hey PlushyP, I recommend seeing "I saw the devil" which is a drama/mystery/thriller that you'll enjoy since you liked "Creepy"

Fbh

Saw Train to busan the other day. I didn't know it was on Netflix.

Was Ok, a solid 6/10. It's a fun watch but it doesn't really do anything new with the genre and some of the effects sucked (even as a TV show, Kingdom looks way better than this in every way)

Last edited:
Top Bottom