• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

I watched The Postman the other night.

I turned it off after about 90 minutes, how the fuck that film didn't bury Costner idk, fucking terrible.

But it did give me a great urge to play New Vegas, so for that I won't put it in the top 3 worst films I've ever seen.

+ Spiderman 2. #1 comic book film.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I had the displeasure of watching the first 19 minutes of 6 Underground.

It felt like someone had a bunch of action footage and then Ryan Reynolds came in and wrote a loose narrative around it where they sat in a car in front of a green screen and pretended they were connected to the action footage. It was nonstop close-ups with shaky cam, bad jokes, and bad ADR to attempt to fill in gaps with more bad jokes. I hate it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
dolittle-5da4ef047ed50.jpg

After Ironman, this is a very safe role for RDJ, I think the CGI animal effects were interesting, you could see the tech people behind this CRUSHED their jobs
tumblr_pzbri6bNzF1y6q25eo4_500.gifv

1h 41min
The movie's plot doesn't have to make sense but it does (saving the Queen of England from a crippling death) I think Robert Downey Jr. is a conductor, and I think chose a great safe role. The side characters, are a little difficult to deal with but the business here is the animals.
3/5

PhantomGolem

Neo Member
I recently watched The Lighthouse and it was a REALLY good one. The actors, color temperature it's all good. Evrebody should watxh it. One of the greatest in 2019.

Ironbunny

Watched Headhunters recently. I had not read anything about or watched any trailers. And man I am glad I hadnt as its easy to spoil. Its great action/suspense movie with a twist or two. I highly recommend going in blind.

MV5BMjE4OTgzOTI2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM5MDg0Nw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,676,1000_AL_.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
I watched Inception the other week. Never seen it in full until then, despite it being a decade old now (wow, just wow, how time flies)

Well anyway, it was a great film but definitely one you need to see a second time. I'm still trying to figure out if they all made it out back to reality, or that they succeeded, but actually never woke up from the first dream? Leo is on the plane, and recognizes the entire crew it seems, but I thought they had first dreamed in a very dark secluded room initially?

Or was it, plane to van, to ice base, and the fourth dream i think was Leo's confronting his dead wife in his dream? I wasn't paying attention to where the first dream was, but it would make sense if it was the plane, because they had planned for everything to be cleared so they can get to that heir. Such a very intricately woven film, filled with so many details, and bits of knowledge and thought that I'll have to re-watch, after studying some about sleep science even. Because I felt like you almost had to know some or else the entire premise couldn't really be fully appreciated

Excellent film. Not one of my favorites at first watch, but it was highly impressive and entertaining, even for watching a decade late. Overall excellent film imo

ammodotcom

Neo Member
Watched Headhunters recently. I had not read anything about or watched any trailers. And man I am glad I hadn't as its easy to spoil. Its great action/suspense movie with a twist or two. I highly recommend going in blind.

MV5BMjE4OTgzOTI2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM5MDg0Nw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,676,1000_AL_.jpg

x2 -- I saw this in a small indie theater when it came out. It's a very intense film and worth watching.

Siri

Banned
1917 was good.

My girlfriend and I saw it this weekend. We missed the first 15 minutes though because a man of about 65 was sitting in my seat with his people and simply refused to move.

The guy said he had a ticket for that seat, but he refused to show it to me. The staff had a hell of a time moving him. This was West Vancouver and it was obvious that these people were entitled.

I just don’t expect people of that age to act like that. Are people becoming more and more self-centered?

Watched Venom last night (finally). Had it on my DVR for months now but couldn't be assed to watch it.

It was very... okay. Not great, not terrible. I thought it started way too slow, and gave you little to care about until Venom actually shows up. Then it got fun. I never read the comics or anything, but it did a good job showing the Venom suit I thought. The humor mostly landed too, which is sometimes a tough thing to do. I'd be interesting to see a Tom Holland/Spider-man crossover.

Meowzers

Enter Nowhere.

Bit of a low budget film, but has a great story and a really good twist in the middle of it. Really unpredictable. Plus a great ending.

sol_bad

The guy said he had a ticket for that seat, but he refused to show it to me. The staff had a hell of a time moving him. This was West Vancouver and it was obvious that these people were entitled.

I just don’t expect people of that age to act like that. Are people becoming more and more self-centered?

Was the cinema full?
lol

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Little Women was really really good. Just tremendous acting, I really connected with the story and characters. Not even movie makes you feel something, this movie did. It had be emotionally invested and it just has such an amazingly great cast. So much young talent there, Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh are all so good. Chalamet is good as well.

Last edited:
Dead Man's Line is an interesting documentary on Amazon I watched recently. It's about a guy who held a mortgage broker here in Indianapolis hostage for more than 60 hours back in the 70's, with a homemade device wired to the broker's neck that would go off if the broker or the hostage taker was yanked.

Here's a Wikipedia article about the guy:

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

A Dark Song -slow burner horror about black magic. Apparently an accurate following of a ritual Crowley went through.

The Highwaymen - about the rangers who got Bonnie & Clyde. Costner and Harrelson were both brilliant.

Predestination - one of the best time travel films I’ve ever seen. Best to go in blind.

Territorial Behavior - found footage Bigfoot survival horror. Played straight and definitely creepy at times, but also very (and I think intentionally) funny.

Leaving D.C - really only for fans of found footage films (which I am). Just a brilliant example of one guy with his own equipment using his own imagination to good effect.

Dave Made a Maze - For me this was an inventive and entertaining story. Dave makes a maze and gets stuck in that maze. His girlfriend, a film crew, his best friend, and a few randoms try to help him out.

Grinchy

Banned
Predestination - one of the best time travel films I’ve ever seen. Best to go in blind.
Yeah, I watched this without knowing a damn thing about it and loved it.

Another movie that really benefited from a blind viewing was Bone Tomahawk. Fucking fantastic movie. Midnight Special was a cool one too, but probably was heightened by knowing nothing about it.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

Yeah, I watched this without knowing a damn thing about it and loved it.

Another movie that really benefited from a blind viewing was Bone Tomahawk. Fucking fantastic movie. Midnight Special was a cool one too, but probably was heightened by knowing nothing about it.

I knew it involved time travel, but that was about all I knew. It really blew me away.

I agree on both of the others you mention. I thought Bone Tomahawk was going to be a dull action mess, but it was one hell of a slow build. I’m a big fan of Kurt Russell, but the whole cast made that a stunning experience.

Midnight Special I only watched a couple of weeks ago. Same as you I knew nothing about it, and just loved the journey it went on.

Not a film I watched recently, but Triangle remains the greatest film I’ve seen without any prior knowledge.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I'd not watched this since I was a kid. The sense of awe and wonder in the last act is palpable, egged on in no small part by John Williams' score. It's hard to imagine what could be improved of the ageing lens-flare-heavy special effects that wouldn't compromise the tone. Although it sags a little in the middle, the final hour indulges the audience with payoff after payoff and all is forgiven. Speilberg eschews subtlety for confidence and I find his decision pays off.

By the end of the movie I felt uplifted and gratified. A superb escape from reality.

Malakhov

Banned
I recently watched The Lighthouse and it was a REALLY good one. The actors, color temperature it's all good. Evrebody should watxh it. One of the greatest in 2019.

A lot of people said so, I just watched it tonight and wasted 2 hours ill never get back. Besides the actors that are unbelivable, wow was that bad.

EverydayBeast

1917-movie-banner.jpg

All the reports out there are that its an interesting film with interesting techniques, I realize World War 1 isn't as appealing as other wars so that's a hard sell but even with that when you have the characters set up for success through tension, and historicity of events etc. I possibly see myself viewing this movie again. Check this one out.
7/10

EverydayBeast

Zombieland_Banner-1.jpg

I don't know who pushed for a sequel, Zombieland again? What?
The highlight of this film are the kills, all the creative kills were there, the characters developed really quickly and it being a comedy gives the actors more flexibility to work with, comedy plays a huge part in the movie.
5/10
giphy.gif

MaestroMike

Gold Member
brawl in cell block 99 was wack as hel! vince vaughn's character has a smartmouth, and acts like hes smart and has morals, but makes the dumbest fukking choices. he lost his job and goes straight to drug dealing ??? lol wtfukk is that bullsh!t he didn't even have a kid yet to take care of he didn't have cancer or any sickness where he'd leave the kids he doesn't even have without anything. and his wife is cool with him become a fukking drug dealer and entering that world shes a sh!tty would-be mom at least in breaking bad walter's wife was hella against his decisions. i've been marathoning breaking bad the last month almost done and I guess that show ruined this movie for me cuz its writing is way better in comparison and makes sense most of the time

Grinchy

Banned
The Good Liar was The Bad Movie. There's not a single moment of its runtime where I was pulled in or believing what was taking place in any way. And the way it all concludes is so asinine. I wish I had spent that 2 hours any other way.

megamerican

1917 - I lost my suspension of disbelief almost immediately for this one. The film-making was impressive, but I was very aware of it to the point that it seemed over directed. I was very bored for most of the second half and just waiting for it to be over. One of the the least entertaining war movies I've ever seen.

Zombieland_Banner-1.jpg

I don't know who pushed for a sequel, Zombieland again? What?
The highlight of this film are the kills, all the creative kills were there, the characters developed really quickly and it being a comedy gives the actors more flexibility to work with, comedy plays a huge part in the movie.
5/10
giphy.gif

5/10 for your bad opinion sir. Zoey Deutch was one of the best parts of the movie.

I also didn't know she was Lea Thompsons daughter until afterwards. I actually really liked double tap for it's comedy and lines, it's a road trip movie and the zombies are just background noise.

Nymphae

Banned
I watched Wild Things again recently. Good fun schlock. I always forget Bill Murray is in this. I don't remember a lot of talk at the time about this movie focusing on 2 high schooler's being in a sexual and murderous relationship with their guidance counselor and a police officer. Also, another 22 year old example in my ongoing series of old movies with ludicrously strong female roles - in this case, high school goth chick Neve Campbell being uber genius and literally being the mastermind behind every single thing in the flick outsmarting everyone, even being badass enough to pull out her own teeth to fake a murder, gets away scot free with everything.

As far as films I've never seen before, I recently watched Artificial Intelligence. Loved it. Cried pretty badly.

I really feel A.I. is one of Spielberg's underappreciated films. Was it the ending with the mom that got you emotional? That scene does to me and I'm not one to tear up for movies typically.

Elitist1945

I really feel A.I. is one of Spielberg's underappreciated films. Was it the ending with the mom that got you emotional? That scene does to me and I'm not one to tear up for movies typically.

When she abandons him, when he's begging not to be burned at the show, and the ending.

HE1NZ

Banned
MV5BZGVmY2RjNDgtMTc3Yy00YmY0LTgwODItYzBjNWJhNTRlYjdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NTM5NDY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Didn't expect to like it all, but I loved it. It's more of a divorce story where amicable separation gradually gets worse and worse till it all goes to hell. It has that strange intensity of Phantom Thread where nothing much happens, but you can't look away. Really shows how divorce industry works - the lawyers are as interesting as the principal characters. You can pick any side in this story, though to me it seems like Driver character is more of a victim, but there are obviously other interpretations. Second best Best Picture nominee in my opinion (after Joker).

Last edited:

sol_bad

Short Term 12 - Amazon
Movie is about a a home for trouble children and deals with suicide and depression. Stars this forums favourite actor, Brie Larson. Film was good but definitely not light hearted at all, very serious about it's topics and themes.

The Glass Castle - Google Play
Stars Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson and it's a family drama film. The family actually moves from place to place, living off the grid and squatting where they can. Film takes place in the past and the "present". Stellar performance by Larson, film had me in tears by the end.

I watched these 2 films as they are directed by Denis Daniel Cretton. He also directed Just Mercy and will be directing the Shang Chi film.

Whiplash - Google Play
Stars Miles Teller and JK Simmons. I have wanted to watch this for years but never got around to it. Bloody incredible film and very nerve racking. I was on the edge of my seat multiple times throughout the film. I can't recommend this enough. Watch it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Foxcatcher - Google Play
Another movie that I have wanted to see for years with Steve Carrell and Channing Tatum. It's about the 1984 Olympics wrestling gold medallist Mark Schultz and his brother Dave Schultz. Steve Carell funds the wrestling team for the 1988 Olympics and "coaches" them. I had no idea about the real life story and how it ended. Shocking to say the least. ^_^
Not quite as good as I hoped it to be though.

The wife and I resumed watching the A25 filmography as well.
Cut Bank - Netflix
Film was just OK, any plot points weren't thought out very well so it wasn't as believable as it could have been. There were a few ridiculous scenes as well. None of the actors give their best performances and I can't say it's worth watching. I don't want to say too much about the plot though in case anyone wants to watch it but it's starts off with the murder of a postman and things spiral out of control 30 minutes into the film.

The End of the Tour - Netflix
Stars Jesse Eisenberg and Jason Segel, probably one of my favourite roles for both actors. Pretty slow paced drama about the author David Foster Wallace and his time spent with Rolling Stones writer David Lipsky. The relationship done between these 2 actors is really well crafted and I enjoyed it a lot.

Dark Places - Netflx
This movie was ok, stars Charlize Therron. It's a mystery thriller but it doesn't have quite enough meat on it's bones for a good meal. The ending conclusion felt shallow and disappointing to me.

Top Bottom