• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

teezzy

Banned
813AAHbt7xL._AC_SL1491_.jpg

*spoilers ahead*

I consider the original Rocky to be one of the greatest movies of all time. The ending where Rocky didnt win the match, but held his own for the entirety of the 15 rounds and proved he could hang in there and still won the girl of his dreams' heart is one of the most poetic, and most American things I'd ever seen.

Rocky 2 follows a similar suit. Theres no doubt in your mind while watching this that Rocky is going to win the rematch. They wouldn't let him lose twice in a row. Still, he takes a beating in the ring, his wife falls into a coma while giving birth, and he's been set to embarrass himself with these dehumanizing commercials hes filming.

Things look dire for Rocky. How does he win? He TKOs Creed after getting his ass whooped round after round, collapsing as he does so. Only to rise to his feet before ten counts while Creed fails to do so. Then the movie just ends. That's it. Just like the first one, when the fight is over it just ends. Rocky wins by a hair.
Then its over.

There's something so fascinating to me about that

Cutty Flam

Banned
Watched Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets the other day. It wasn’t as good as the first film imo but it’s still good. The start of the film is great. I always loved how it all begins. The only part I though was kind of lame was when Harry or someone else spoke in Parseltongue. Looks and sounds cringe as fuck every time to me. Other than that, it’s a really good film. Favorite moment is probably the entire beginning up until they enter the castle. The books is worlds better than the film adaptation. 2nd book is probably my second or third favorite in the series but there wasn’t enough in this movie to compete with the book. So second or third favorite book, but this film might end up being the fourth to seventh favorite film I would guess once I watch them all

I liked it a lot. Pretty funny and acting by the cast was great too. Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti and J.K. Simmons did great acting too. One of the better movies released this year.
Was a good film, it had that classic 90s to early/mid 2000s feel good romance comedy vibe while still feeling like a modern film if that makes any sense. There was only one time the entire way through when I was thinking like “damn that’s fucking soft lol” (Andy Samberg, just one cringe romance scene imo) but the rest was good

I woke up and people were already watching it, just said what’s up and hadn’t planned on watching it, but it was a good movie and kept my attention so I stuck around to see it finish. Felt like the perfect little nod to Groundhog day; a film made in homage to that classic. Not as depressing though, although at times it could be depressing, but this one was more like Groundhog Day lite, and with a more a more intricate ending

Palm Springs is definitely an alright movie, I’d probably watch it again

I watched Gemini Man last night. I thought it was pretty good. The action was great and the story was entertaining enough. The CGI could've been better though, there were some embarrassing video game level visuals in there. I give the movie a 7/10.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm dying to see St Maud and The Green Knight, both of which are from A24 films. I love the films they have been putting out and these two look right up my alley.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Maltese Falcon tonight with the wife - fantastic film, Bogart is awesome.

Reactions: CZY

CZY

Are there any romance movies that guys generally like?
True Romance and Natural Born Killers come to mind, half kidding, but if you loosen the definition of romance I'd bet there's a bunch more like those.

When Harry Met Sally also came to mind; legitimate romance with very gender-neutral appeal, I'm sure there are lots of those too.

Sid & Nancy is probably my favorite romance, again playing with the definition a little there too though.

Straight up cheesy girlmovie romances? Boy I don't know about that. I surely couldn't even name you one. The Notebook was okay. No better than something like Titanic though imo.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
True Romance and Natural Born Killers come to mind, half kidding, but if you loosen the definition of romance I'd bet there's a bunch more like those.

When Harry Met Sally also came to mind; legitimate romance with very gender-neutral appeal, I'm sure there are lots of those too.

Sid & Nancy is probably my favorite romance, again playing with the definition a little there too though.

Straight up cheesy girlmovie romances? Boy I don't know about that. I surely couldn't even name you one. The Notebook was okay. No better than something like Titanic though imo.
I love When Harry Met Sally. It’s just a damn good time. Brilliant script, delivered perfectly, I can’t find a bad word to say about it.

Arkam

Mad Max (1979)

I love me some Road Warrior. At times enough to make me forget how great the non post apocalyptic Mad Max film was when Max was just a cop. A simple story of a biker gang causing more than just a little trouble as they harass the countryside. With only a few brave men to stand up to them. Solid fun and great chases.

iu

teezzy

Banned
MV5BMjAxOTU3Mzc1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk1ODUzNg@@._V1_.jpg

Its so important to think outside of the box in life. Time and time again I'm lectured in what a contrarian I am. Ironically, I disagree. I'm just someone who sees things from my own perspective just like anyone else, but I'm not afraid to challenge something just because I see everyone else doing it. If you've ever felt like an outsider who marched to beat of your own drummers someone who saw the forest for the trees, then Moneyball is absolutely a movie for you.

Loved it. Loved Foxhunter too. Same director. I should watch Capote. Moneyball's ending was somewhat hammy but whatever. The ride was awesome.

MayauMiao

Watched The English Patient recently.

No, I didn't watch it because of Kristin Scott Thomas' bush.

Also, deleted scene:

Next is to binge anime series Attack On Titans, which I have never seen before.

Qwell

Boss Level

Had no idea about this movie, it just showed up so gave it a watch as I like Joe Carnahan and I don't mind watching some Mel Gibson (also recently watched The Fatman) and Frank Grillo usually has a good time in movies. Its a good romp, not going to win any awards, but it was a fun ride, some good action and stunts and a fun little groundhogs day formula. For some reason there isn't even any good trailers out there, so the below one is the best I could find. I was watching an interview last night after watching the movie and it sounds like some "producers" were trying to basically steal money making this movie, they never expected it to actually get done but it was a passion project for Carnahan and Grillo so they made it work. If you can find it, I would recommend it.

EDIT: looks like they pulled the one horrible quality trailer I was able to find.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Stray Dog (1949)
Blown away by this one. A boiling hot noir thriller/buddy cop movie with picturesque framing and climactic pacing. Been slowly marathoning Kurosawa movies and now got to the good ones. Unfortunately there's no restoration, existing copies are pretty bad. But it adds a little to it's melting atmosphere I think - it's set during a summer and every character is sweating to exhaustion.

95601d51725d463302e6a85bbc5a4f0c.jpg

teezzy

Banned
70125552.jpg

Little Fockers may be the definition of half assing it, with each actor phoning their performance is every character becoming a caricature of who they were in the first two movies and the outlandish scenarios becoming more outlandish. Barely a plot here and only a few laughs. So weird they made a trilogy off Meet the Parents to begin with but this was so far removed from the spirit of the original.

Best part was how hot Jessica Alba is

snapshot20110325010517.jpg

Nobody really seemed like they wanted to be there. Best performance of the movie goes to Teri Polo though. She wasnt given much to do overall.

Very meh outta 10. Makes Meet the Fockers look masterful

Last edited:

Arkam

Stray Dog (1949)
Blown away by this one. A boiling hot noir thriller/buddy cop movie with picturesque framing and climactic pacing. Been slowly marathoning Kurosawa movies and now got to the good ones. Unfortunately there's no restoration, existing copies are pretty bad. But it adds a little to it's melting atmosphere I think - it's set during a summer and every character is sweating to exhaustion.

95601d51725d463302e6a85bbc5a4f0c.jpg
Glad to hear this was good. It’s in my queue now as I am still binging on Japanese crime films.

Update: I watched it this afternoon. It was fantastic. Even with some jank subtitles that were about 10-15s ahead. Toshiro Mifune gave his typical amazing performance. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched The Warriors last night, which has been on my to-watch list for about... 15 years? What a brilliant movie. The premise, the characters, the way the story unfolds, and of course the city, the shots of past and future NYC (thanks BDB) are amazing. I loved it.

And it has one of the best intros and themes in movie history

Now I want to play the PS2 game.

0neAnd0nly

Shazam! (2019)

61PFhsp8rML._AC_SL1304_.jpg

4/5 - Fun, funny, light hearted feel good super hero movie. Action certainly is second place to humor (imo), and there are moments of story that are hindered by a 2 hour time limit, but darn if it wasn’t a fun ride that genuinely got some laughs. On top of that, strong acting all the way around. Could even qualify as a Christmas movie being it takes place in December. Enjoy (if you have yet to do so)

——————————————

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

EQipeHwXkAEI7uh.jpg

3/5 - Tempted to go 3.5 but some flaws just keep me from elevating it. Notably, I don’t find most characters to be particularly like able, Carrey is cast here to be Carrey with a mustache more than he is Robotnik. Simple story though packed with nostalgia and Easter eggs that is fairly charming. Sonic is definitely the highlight of the film, hindered more than helped by the cast around him.

——————————————

Bumblebee (2018)

MV5BMjUwNjU5NDMyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzgxNjM2NzM@._V1_.jpg

3.5/5 - As with the case from the Sonic movie above, many of the characters just are not that like able. This is of course, an opinion that is subjective in nature, but man it seems to be getting common these days. Main character Charlie (Hailee Steinfield) character arch is decent albeit feels forced at times, but the rest of the characters are hit or miss. The movie is fun, effects are top notch, and the story does make a compelling case for an area that many movies miss the mark at. It’s not vaulted due to Bumblebee -or- Charlie as solo characters, but because of their unlikely friendship and journey together. I do think some people overrate this movie, but again, a fun time with an ok story.

——————————————

1917 (2019)

61Zf5g-xUxL._AC_SL1039_.jpg

4.5/5 - The diamond in the bunch for my recent watch list. I admittedly had a lot of hype for this movie going in, which usually ends up causing me to be overly critical. This was not the case here. It lived up to the hype in my opinion. The single shot effect is not only a cool feat, but also perfectly captures the feeling of being in the setting and on the journey. This helps bring immense suspense to nearly every moment, and a fluidity that would be near impossible to give in a compressed time slot effectively without it. The cast as a whole is tremendous, there is no weak spot here. It feels very much as though you stepped into the early 1900s, and you feel the dread of what is going on as they do. This isn’t an action junkies war film, that isn’t to say it is devoid of action, but more than the artistic nature of the cinematic Endeavor and survival mission story take the stage to most typical war films. The is something beautiful here in the midst of dread and calamity, and it pulls you in so uniquely. The sound heightens an already wonderful piece of art, and you will have this one of your mind for a while. Outstanding work by Sam Mendes.

Last edited:
Greenland - it's like someone threw Deep Impact and World War Z in a blender. Intense movie and a strange watch in this Covid and riots world. 10-15 years from now the Gerard Butler boxset is going to be amazing.

quickwhips

True Romance is so damn good. I can watch anything with slater though. Kuffs is one of my favorite.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just saw Togo.

Balto is a little bitch underserving of everything he got over the last 100 years. Fake news fuck.

Better than the new Call of the Wild, but not sure by how much.

teezzy

Banned
featimg_the-accountant.jpg

Fairly certain Tesseract Tesseract watched this recently and reminded me that it existed.

I remember watching this high off my bong around the time it came out and enjoying it, but not giving it much thought overall. I really hated that version of myself tbh, always too high to pay attention to detail.

You know who pays attention to detail? Christian Wolff, Affleck's main character in The Accountant and it's frickin' awesome. Like, holy hot damn, awesome. 9/10

I love these types of movies. Socially awkward outsider who's super occupied with self-preservation and acutely analyzing society. I can't help but relate to these characters and get a charge off of em.

They seem to 'get life' more than most, even when you're supposed to be rooting against 'em, like in Taxi Driver, American Psycho, or Nightcrawler. Always among my favorite characters in movies.

I don't believe I'm autistic, but I can definitely be awkward. I admire how on the ball some of these dudes are, and Christian Wolff is no slacker in that department.

Also - wow - Anna Kendrick! Where has she been all my life?! How have I not seen her in more?

OptimisticOfficialAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

This movie was straight fire, man. Always a treat to watch Affleck in stuff. I adore him just as much as Matt Damon.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
41N8tpQzh1L._SX300_.jpg

I rewatched Face/Off recently. It is probably one of my favourite action movies of all-time, you can't get much better than Travolta & Cage together at their peak. They do so well playing each other's characters. It honestly might be my favourite Cage performance, he really is fantastic in this. I love this scene in particular:

face-off-action.gif

Such a great quote. There was something just special about 90's action films, just so exciting.

teezzy

Banned
7298296389722282860.jpg

First act was dreadful. I wasn't sure exactly what I'd gotten myself into.
Second act was outstanding and tons of fun. Love a great game of cat and mouse on screen.
Wrapped up with a neat little bow at the end. Decent ending.

Strong 7/10.

Can't wait to re-watch this DVD in a couple years after I've forgotten all the details. Felt more like a 90s movie than a 2003 vehicle. Loved how they were showing off GPS tech like it was the most high tech thing ever. Hilarious.

teezzy

Banned
A1EdI9vPGtL._SL1500_.jpg

Not much really happens in Love Liza. Watch as Philip Seymour Hoffman huffs gasoline for an hour and a half, and struggles with the grief of his wife's suicide without ever overcoming it. You sit there with the character for an hour and a half, and feel his pain. His disconnect.
As much as you want to see the character, Wilson, turn things around - he just doesn't. The ending felt sudden and I'm sure was supposed to be symbolic of growth, but it just stayed kind of dreary.
A stellar performance by Hoffman, who carried the weight of the film on his back, but ultimately there's a ton of potential plot developments which lead absolutely nowhere as the character is too overburdened by his own sense of loss.
Not sure what the message was here - don't let your own sadness consume you because you might just make things worse?

Meeeeh - 6/10 - that was a weird one. Check it out if you like the idea of Philip Seymour Hoffman getting high off gas fumes for 1.5 hours, as he bumbles around and fails to improve his situation.

Weird. I should probably shower.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Phonebooth.jpg

I re-watched Phone Booth (2002) last night. I really think this movie is underrated. It is fast paced, entertaining, well acted and it only takes place in one location. I feel like that isn't an easy task for any director. Colin Farrell really shows off his acting chops here and I don't think you could choose a better person than Kiefer Sutherland to play the voice on the other line. I just really love how the movie is shot. It never lets up on the tension and you feel like you're trapped in the booth with Stu (Main Character). This part is so good, love when Kiefer says:

"Doesn't that just torque your jaw?"

I think the best part though is when Stu comes clean about all the lying he does as a person, and apparently Farrell nailed it one shot which is impressive to me.

Colin Farrell deserves more praise. Fantastic actor.

Obviously phone booths aren't really a thing anymore but despite that it still manages to be entertaining and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Would really recommend this film to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Solid 8/10 film.

teezzy

Banned
61fUIG4V4YL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Slap Shot is always enjoyable for me. One of the few comedies that actually gets funnier the more times I see it. I definitely didnt laugh this much when initially watching it. This is a movie that feels all the more crass and irreverent now in 2020 than I'm sure it did upon release. Paul Newman is a straight G here, and the Hanson bros always make me smile. I wouldve loved to experience the 70s tbh. Always looks so cool in movies. Not sure if this is my favorite hockey movie or not, but definitely up there.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
61fUIG4V4YL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Slap Shot is always enjoyable for me. One of the few comedies that actually gets funnier the more times I see it. I definitely didnt laugh this much when initially watching it. This is a movie that feels all the more crass and irreverent now in 2020 than I'm sure it did upon release. Paul Newman is a straight G here, and the Hanson bros always make me smile. I wouldve loved to experience the 70s tbh. Always looks so cool in movies. Not sure if this is my favorite hockey movie or not, but definitely up there.

Never heard of this, but sounds interesting. Reckon I'd like it if I enjoyed Goon with Seann William Scott? That is probably my favourite hockey movie. To be fair, I haven't seen a lot of them, but that movie surprised the heck out of me. You should watch Goon if you haven't seen it, but guessing you have.

teezzy

Banned
Never heard of this, but sounds interesting. Reckon I'd like it if I enjoyed Goon with Seann William Scott? That is probably my favourite hockey movie. To be fair, I haven't seen a lot of them, but that movie surprised the heck out of me. You should watch Goon if you haven't seen it, but guessing you have.

Y'know I love Goon too, and I'd imagine we'd be hard pressed to ever have it without Slap Shot existing first.

They're both comedies centering around the violence in hockey, but they breathe very differently.
Slap Shot almost plays it straight, and it's pacing, and the characters' fashion sense, are very much of its time. Goon feels like a post 2000s comedy made for a more modern attention span, everything is more slapstick and cartoon-ish... yknow - modern comedy. I'm not sure how else to phrase it.

So it depends on what exactly drew you to Goon and your overall enjoyment of more low key 70s movies in general. Like, if you enjoy the locker room banter, hard hits on the ice, lots of blood, and crude one-liners - then yeah, Slap Shot is right up your alley. I think I prefer it overall.

Goon feels more polished, while Slap Shot sorta excels due to its rough edges. Really a matter of preference, but Paul Newman could probably have acted circles around Sean William Scott, as much as I enjoy Goon.

Yeah, I think Goon was sort of a love letter to Slap Shot tbh.

Top Bottom