• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone's new smaller PS2 have problems reading PS1 games?

Yesterday I opened my brand new PS2 and a brand new copy of FF7. I played it for about an hour and during that time it froze up a couple of times and the disk drive was making some strange noises.

Well, tonight I tried playing it again and its completely unplayable. It either won't load the game at all or it continually freezes and unfreezes all while making those strange noises. The thing is that I've put in a new PS2 game a couple times and it fires right up. I played it for about 15 minutes and there were no freezes or any of the strange noises from the drive.

So, that makes me think that the new PS2 is fine and its the game that is the problem. I'm going to mess around with it some more tomorrow. But, has anyone else had a similar experience with the new PS2s?

ShowDog

Are you sure you dont have texture smoothing or fast loading on? One of those can mess up FF7, i don't remember which... my slim ps2 kind of sucks too though. It always gets dnas errors on brand new online games and wont play blue games like half-life when my roommates 2 year old abused ps2 will just fine. I dont understand why a new system would be like that, it's a bit dissapointing.

Koshiba

My new PS2 has been playing PS1 games fine and I've been playing alot lately. Though I haven't tried FF7 on it yet.. Hmm. I guess it's a good thing that I haven't encountered any problems with it yet. :)

Top Bottom