• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aonuma want to make a remake of A Link to the Past" and more about next Zelda on Wii

Amir0x

Banned
Jirotrom said:
I think the point he was trying to make is that the games retroness( for lack of a better word) adds alot to the enjoyment. I'm enclined to agree, alot of the draw to that game for me is that it makes me fell like a kid again playing a brand new mario. I'm eager to see the new worlds and to see all the old stuff that have returned.

It's all just vague, sentimental bullshit. If you want to beat it to nostalgia, that's fine, there's like two hundred virtual console games for you to be mesmerized by. We're living in the year 2007, sometimes it's GOOD to move forward.

This is one such time it's good. And I don't mean move forward and forget about where you came from, I just mean "take a break" and "try something completely new."

RumFore

Banned
I wouldnt mind a new Zelda every damn year and I do hope they remake A Link to the Past because its probably my favorite game on the SNES.

Take Zelda back to its roots. All the way back to its roots. At its heart it's about a boy exploring his expansive backyard. As he gets farther and farther away from his home, he is less safe, and the world no longer follows the expected rules. Courage is a shared attribute between the player and Link. Courage should be the basis of the gameplay, not the tired formula.

Amir0x

Banned
Journeywalker said:
Take Zelda back to its roots. All the way back to its roots. At its heart it's about a boy exploring his expansive backyard. As he gets farther and farther away from his home, he is less safe, and the world no longer follows the expected rules. Courage is a shared attribute between the player and Link. Courage should be the basis of the gameplay, not the tired formula.

yes.

I have said when they do come back to Zelda, it should be...

1. Zelda 1 style exploration/non-linearity
2. Majora Mask 'dark shading', like in the artwork for that game
3. A super awesome GRAVITY SWITCHING space dungeon.
4. Make all puzzles with wiimote in mind. Look at the possibilities Zack and Wiki came up with, being designed entirely with Wiimote in mind. It's clear that Zelda:TP was a "GCN" rooted Zelda, and its puzzle and dungeon design reflected this. A ground-up Wii Zelda will be able to definitely bring some clever ideas.

Tristam

GeneralIroh said:
No it didnt. The whole cat and joystick thing ended quickly unlike the triforce quest that took up half of the game's length. Besides, TWW had a similar boring begining. The stealth stealth section was rubbish. The triforce quest takes much longer.
The first 3 dungeons in TP are much better than 90% of the dungeons of TWW.

This is how the pacing is like in TWW

good ------> bad

TP
bad ------> good

This is how good pacing should be designed. It should get better the more you play not worse.

lulz what? A game shouldn't start out incredibly boring! A game should start out with some face-rocking awesome and maintain that awesome to the very end!

And another mark against TP is its linearity. In most Zelda games you won't be able to reach certain dungeons or more removed areas because you need some new item, but they almost always open up the world map within the first five hours of play.

loosus

Banned
So, Amir0x, what do you think needs to happen to the big Nintendo franchises?

Amir0x said:
Let them take a long break... I'd even say a generational break
That sounds reasonable. I can appreciate that!

Amir0x said:
Start new, start fresh.
Understood!

Amir0x said:
Taking a break is a GOOD thing
Okay, I get you.

Amir0x said:
it pretty much needs a break
Yes.

Amir0x said:
I just mean "take a break" and "try something completely new."
K.

ElFly

Captain Glanton said:
I think the next Zelda gimmick will be light v. dark worlds. Because Nintendo hasn't quite beaten the life out of that yet.

What's sad is that that isn't really sarcastic. N seems to believe [judging by the number of light v dark games they've made recently] that it's still a viable game design mechanic.

But the thing is, the mechanic hasn't been done well since LttP. Metroid Prime 2 was the closest to it, but it was hampered by to many fetch quests.

Tristam said:
lulz what? A game shouldn't start out incredibly boring! A game should start out with some face-rocking awesome and maintain that awesome to the very end!

And another mark against TP is its linearity. In most Zelda games you won't be able to reach certain dungeons or more removed areas because you need some new item, but they almost always open up the world map within the first five hours of play.
What I meant was the game's pacing should be on an incline rather than a decline. Its obvious games should start out awesome.

Tristam said:
And another mark against TP is its linearity. In most Zelda games you won't be able to reach certain dungeons or more removed areas because you need some new item, but they almost always open up the world map within the first five hours of play
Finally something we can agree on.

Tristam

citrus lump said:
By sending mario into space, the franchise has been refreshed. Nintendo sholud do the same thing with Link.

Zelda should be moving away from Mario if anything. When both went 3D on the N64 the two franchises became too similar. Mario, at least, appears to be returning back to linearity -- linearity better suits Mario's quicker pace and platforming gameplay.

Zelda should be moving away from linearity.

ElFly

Didn't Aonuma say that Phantom Hourglass was a (unintentional) remake of Zelda 1?

I think the man has a loose concept of remake.

You know what I really want? A Zelda game set in Mythological times.

Yes, I know there's God of War already, but the Zelda universe mixed with such things as Cyclopse, Titans, Medusa, and the Odyssey would be so awesome.

ElFly

BrandNew said:
how the fuck so?

I only read the quote, but didn't read the article, because I haven't finished PH and didn't want to spoil it :lol

In fact, I may ran away from this thread pretty soon for the same reason. Or the stupid opinions, whatever happens first.

Dolphin

Banned
If this means the next Zelda is a non-hub-based completely open seamless world, then I'm all for it. If it means A Link to the Past with the OoT treatment, don't even bother.

I'm interested in seeing the graphical style.

Timbuktu

Did we ever know why franchises like Metroid or Nights, took a break? And why did they come back? Those games weren't even stale when they went into they decade long hiatus. In any case, all the talk about the next Zelda is so vague, I can't see it coming for a few year yet, so a 'break' is pretty much what we'll have unless we get another PH on DS.

Jirotrom

Amir0x said:
It's all just vague, sentimental bullshit. If you want to beat it to nostalgia, that's fine, there's like two hundred virtual console games for you to be mesmerized by. We're living in the year 2007, sometimes it's GOOD to move forward.

This is one such time it's good. And I don't mean move forward and forget about where you came from, I just mean "take a break" and "try something completely new."
Damn ami, i'm not saying its bad to move forward, I'm just saying I believe that a lot of the appeal to SMG is the newness in combination with the old. No 3-d mario had firepower, the fact that when you crouch its like SMB3, or when he gets star power its like SMB3. Those are aspects that I haven't seen in a very long time and its cool to see them, but if SMG only did that then it wouldn't be as good as it is. It brings something new to the table thats fantastic. There is nothing wrong with wanting a new IP and I agree with you, but SMG is a great example of combining old with new and making it one of the greatest gaming experiences ever conceived.

ElFly

Timbuktu said:
Did we ever know why franchises like Metroid or Nights, took a break? And why did they come back? Those games weren't even stale when they went into they decade long hiatus. In any case, all the talk about the next Zelda is so vague, I can't see it coming for a few year yet, so a 'break' is pretty much what we'll have unless we get another PH on DS.

Metroid: Gunpei Yokoi died.

Nights: Sega died.

Dolphin said:
If this means the next Zelda is a non-hub-based completely open seamless world, then I'm all for it. If it means A Link to the Past with the OoT treatment, don't even bother.

I'm interested in seeing the graphical style.
Maybe they should go with a hl2 and metroid prime style of storytelling where the character basically starts out drunk in a bar with amnesia. Instead of having the story be told through some monologue or cutscene they should have stuff in the background like news articles and witnesses. Something like this would promote exploration and a more open world.

Jirotrom

Also, new IP's are fantastic, but put yourself in Nintendo's shows or even Bungie's shoes... It has to be scary to think up something new that could have the same mass appeal as "Mario" or even "Master Chief". These characters are world icons at the moment and to be in their position is tough. Not saying they shouldn't come up with new stuff, but it's difficult.

Dolphin

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
Maybe they should go with a hl2 and metroid prime style of storytelling where the character basically starts out drunk in a bar with amnesia. Instead of having the story be told through some monologue or cutscene they should have stuff in the background like news articles and witnesses.
I'm not really sure how that relates to my rant, but I do love that style of storytelling. It feels much less contrived. Zelda's never really had very good writers though.

ElFly

You know what I am getting tired of?

Mute heroes. Particularly mute heroes that are accompanied of a straight man that explains everything and that are just a fairy. A fairy with amnesia.

PH and SPM were particularly bad on this.

I know that LttP had a mute hero, but that doesn't mean it can't change in the remake.

NiGHTS got a timeout for various reasons over the years. By the time Air NiGHTS for Saturn would have been completed, the Saturn wasn't really financially viable worldwide anymore. Sonic Team needed to work on Sonic Adventure for the new console, as the lack of Sonic was a popular scapegoat for Saturn's failure worldwide.

By the time Sonic Team had a chance to do Air NiGHTS for Dreamcast and got started on preliminary shit, the Dreamcast had the rug pulled from under it, too.

After that, Sonic Team was kept busy with Sonic projects (as they were financially crucial for the ailing SEGA) and no one else really cared to touch NiGHTS.

It's only very recently that SEGA, Sonic Team, and the industry were all in a place to allow a NiGHTS sequel to happen.

I suppose it would be too much to ask that they put some form of AI in the next Zelda. Hell, I'd be okay with yet another light/dark worlds LTTP remake if they did that.

Tristam

Now that I think about it the recurring motifs and even returning items aren't what make Zelda feel so stale, but it's the one thing that everyone professes to still love: the dungeons. Every dungeon I entered in Twilight Princess I knew I was going to find the map, then the compass, then the dungeon item (following a mini-boss battle), and finally the big boss key; then I'd use the dungeon item to defeat said big boss. So it's the structure of the dungeons and the structure of the game itself that seems to be getting so old. Majora's Mask shook up the game structure fantastically -- the dungeon structure, not so much, although finding the 15 fairies and the clever use of the transformation masks did keep things from getting stale.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Eh, I am hearing rumours that the next Zelda will be set in the future, as in, not just in a future timeline, but as in sci-fi; grain of salt and all that. Apparently Nintendo wants to change the association of Zelda in fans away from the fantasy setting. Again, like 1% chance of this being true.

capslock said:
Eh, I am hearing rumours that the next Zelda will be set in the future, as in, not just in a future timeline, but as in sci-fi; grain of salt and all that. Apparently Nintendo wants to change the association of Zelda in fans away from the fantasy setting. Again, like 1% chance of this being true.

HOLY SHIT START A NEW THREAD

Tristam

capslock said:

Is this "rumor" related to the god-awful, April Fools-inspired video showing sketches of a futuristic Zelda bearing a shocking resemblance to Nomura's vomit-inducing Advent Children designs?

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Tristam said:
Is this "rumor" related to the god-awful, April Fools-inspired video showing sketches of a futuristic Zelda bearing a shocking resemblance to Nomura's vomit-inducing Advent Children designs?

No, that's got nothing to do with it, I personally think it's unlikely, but it was from the same dude that told me about Link in Soul Calibur before anyone else, even Matt. So he's not dodgy, but doesn't mean that he's right.

Tristam

capslock said:
No, that's got nothing to do with it, I personally think it's unlikely, but it was from the same dude that told me about Link in Soul Calibur before anyone else, even Matt. So he's not dodgy, but doesn't mean that he's right.

I don't sci-fi's inherently bad, but I fear the day that Zelda goes animu. God help us.

So is he going to remake ALTTP like he did by remaking Ocarina of Time into twilight Princess!? I cannot wait for another Zelda game!

Nobody wants this, give us something new and change up the gameplay mechanics please! I can pick up any Zelda game and everything will be the same as before. See a depression in the floor? Put a block in it.

I love the Zelda series and Ocarina is probably my favorite game I've ever played. But it's all so similar now it's not even funny.

ElFly

An LttP remake only means one thing: hair.

link.jpg

I think a steam punk Zelda, with the ability to jump at any time, could help the franchise.
The more modern setting would allow for brand new puzzles and items, without making it sci-fi.
Also, I think a sort of level up system would be good. Not in character levels, but leveling up abilities through battle experience. Such as, being able to expand magic, or your money pouch, or even speed.

Tristam said:
TP's Link is the only one yet who could possibly be mistaken for a Nomura character.
That a good thing because he actually has belts to hold his equipment instead of velcro. At least he doesnt look like a retard baby.
As long as zelda is designed by a Japanese developer, its going to look like animu.

Teasel

citrus lump said:
By sending mario into space, the franchise has been refreshed. Nintendo sholud do the same thing with Link.

You found the Laser Hookshot! it's a proton loaded chain that you can cast out to hook things
use it to grapple items so you can reel them in or pull yourself over them!

Top Bottom